Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish Prone Skin

Average price: $11.50

Brand: Spectro Jel

Most helpful review

By E.B., montreal on 03/09/2013

For acne like mine (not too severe, but very persistent), I would recommend trying Spectro (for at least a month). It beat out all the other 20+ products I tried (from the expensive like Vichy to regular Neutrogena or St. Ives stuff). Although the gel feels a bit strange at first, it doesn't dry out your skin and it cleanses it thoroughly. However, this product really worked best when I used it along with the Spectro AcneCare Pore Vanishing Lotion (which is 5% benzoyl peroxide lotion).

Pros:
  • Keeps skin moisture
  • works
Cons:
  • If you care at all, it doesn't have those nice smells like some brands

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Methocellulose, Polysorbate 20, Cetyl Alcohol (moisturizer), Hydrated Silica, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Diazolidinyl Urea, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Sorbitan Oleate.

Member reviews

“Works Really Well.”
By on

The first time I used Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish Prone Skin I felt a difference that night, it felt way cleaner! About a week later I started seeing a difference. Now, I have clear skin! ~I got it at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Works Quickly

Cons

• Doesn't Smell Pleasant
  • for about a month
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Amazing, but it does take some getting used to.”
By on

I have suffered from moderate to severe acne for many years (about 20 actually). I have spent literally thousands of dollars on treatments, products, facials, machines, you name it! But my cystic acne and my really deep black heads would not budge. I always attacked my face with the most anti-bacterial, harshest scrubs, pro-active, accutane, and deep cleansing masks I could find (I know now that this was just exacerbating my problem). Finally, one day, I thought I'd try the super gentle approach and see if it improved the condition of my skin (I had nothing to loose, it was already so so bad). I was really skeptical, plus it did not feel like it was cleaning and felt really weird to rub this stuff on a dry face but, lo and behold, this stuff worked!

It does not lather or foam! Even with water it stays gel-ish. I use about 3 full pumps on my dry face (after I remove my mascara) and massage it it circles all over my face (concentrating on areas where my black heads like to form). After about 1 minute of rubbing this on, I rinse my face really really well with lukewarm water. I found the more I rinse the softer my skin feels. I use this every night and occasionally in the mornings.

My black heads are much MUCH better now, the redness has been drastically reduced (I can go out of the house and feel confident with no foundation or concealer to hide chronic redness), and moisturizers WORK now, instead of just making black heads worse and my skin greasy (I use Calia All Natural Skin Moisturizer everyday in conjunction with Spectro Jel and it has changed my life).

My skin is very dry/dehydrated and sensitive. I find that I don't even need to exfoliate as much anymore (maybe once per week or once every 2 weeks) since switching to this cleanser. I have been using it for two years, faithfully and consistently, because every time I try something else my skin looks and feels terrible.

Once you start trying this, give it at least two weeks of using Spectro every day before you expect visible improvements. Good Luck!

Pros

• Gentle and non-drying
  • Makes skin soft
  • Reduces redness and improves skin texture

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for more than a year
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Just have to use it correctly...”
By on

The key to SJ is to take a solid few minutes to massage it into your face. It isn't a detergent-based cleanser, so it will not instantly pull up oil to be rinsed off - its an emulsifier, and needs to be worked into the skin. Added bonus is without the soap factor, you won't notice much dryness after using it. Try it out, i'd been using it incorrectly for a long time, but now with this and a weekly salicylic acid scrub I'm clear pretty much year round!

Pros

• Not detergent based
  • Neutral smell
  • Works!

Cons

• Takes a few minutes to use properly
  • for more than a year
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Spectro jel”
By on

I went to my family doctor because my skin was breaking out too much and it bothered me. So he recommended spectro jel, and said to use a squirt every morning and night to wash my face. This product is AMAZING. In about 2 weeks using it my face cleared up and it prevent me from breaking out as much. Also my face use to be so oily but its not anymore. I recommend this! And I found this product at Walmart for 15$ but I went to target and it was on clearance for 6$ so I got 3 for the price of one!

Pros

• Clears pimples
  • Prevents breakouts
  • Helps make face less oily

Cons

• Smells bad but I was able to find a fragrance free one and it doesn't even have a smell!
  • It can be pricey in some stores but I found it cheap at target
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Pretty Good”
By on

I started using Combination skin cleanser for about a year and it worked okay for me. My t-zone is oily but in between my eyebrows is dry so it cleared up my face pretty good. But i realized that you had to put lotion on after that so that your skin wouldn't dry. Then i recently switches to blemish prone skin and i immediately saw a difference. I don't use the recommended lotion after i wash my face but i saw that i had less pimples then ever. It didnt dry out my skin. I love it. I will forever stick with Spectro. In the future i would like to try the spectro lotion.

Pros

• Doesn't dry out skin
  • Works well with combination skin
  • Reduces blemish size and amount

Cons

• Doesn't get rid of blackheads
  • Doesn't get deep through the tough built in pimples
  • for more than a year
  • $ 11
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Pretty Awesome.”
By on

Awesome cleanser, and about as gentle as it gets. Doesn't over-dry skin, and gets the job done.

Pros

• Gentle
  • Non-drying

Cons

• Have to use a lot to get full coverage
  • for a few months
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I absolutely LOVE the Spectro Jel Acne products!!!!!

I have had THE WORST acne since grade 6, I am now 21. I have used everything including Proactiv. I used it from grade 10 till now. Hoping one day it would work. But after the first use of Spectro i KNEW this was the product for me. And after only a week and a half of use, my face is the best its been in over TEN YEARS!! I HIGHLY recommend this for someone who has tried everything else and wants RESULTS! :D

Pros

• Inexspensive
  • Large pump bottle for cleanser (HUGE :D For $13!)
  • Doesn't dry out
  • Doesn't burn
  • Doesn't scratch your face off

Cons

• Smells awful; as bad as this sounds, it smells like wart remover :/
  • The non scrub or sudsing cleanser is something to get used to (Even thought it "looks" like its not doing anything or "feels" like it.... it is!)
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• Keeps skin moisture
  • works

Cons

• If you care at all, it doesn't have those nice smells like some brands
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I didn't like it at first because it didn't remove my makeup as well as other cleansers and soap; however, you need to wipe it with a clothes and just rub your mascara off gently and it will be off. It's by far the best cleanser I've used. I initially got it for my face but bought another bottle to use in the shower on my body for some back acne. My face has been consistently clear since I started using it. I still have a few breakouts but I can go out with makeup and not worry about huge cysts.

Pros

• keeps skin clearer...finally a product that works without drying skin
  • does not dry out skin whatsoever (I use for sensitive skin)

Cons

• don't use it as a makeup remover or simply use a cloth. I don't use heavy makeup just mineral foundation and mascara.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is currently my favourite cleanser. It is imperrative to follow the directions, however for best results. I prefer to appy this to dry skin and rub in small cirlces for at least 30 seconds and then remove it all with a wet washcloth. This has done wonders for the tone and health of my complexion and I my breakouts are very minor now if any.

Pros

• Gentle and effective at removing makeup and dirt.
  • Leaves skin glowing and smooth.
  • Doesn't dry skin out at all.
  • Helps to clear acne.
  • Makes skin velvety soft.
  • Doesn't contain SLS.

Cons

• Might not remove heavy makeup if not used properly and wiped off with a cloth.
  • very light
  • for about a month
  • $ 9
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.