Solodyn Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 313 reviews

Minocycline hydrochloride.

Lactose monohydrate NF, hypromellose type 2910 USP, magnesium stearate NF, colloidal silicon dioxide NF, and carnauba wax NF.

The 45 mg tablets also contain:
Lactose monohydrate NF, hypromellose type 2910 USP, titanium dioxide USP, triacetin USP, and iron oxide black JPE. The 65 mg tablets also contain Opadry II Blue which contains: hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, FD&C Blue #1, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, FD&C Blue #2, titanium dioxide USP, triacetin USP, and D&C Yellow #10.

90 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, titanium dioxide USP, iron oxide yellow NF, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, and triacetin USP.

115 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, D&C Yellow #10, triacetin USP, FD&C Blue #1, titanium dioxide USP, and FD&C Blue #2.

135 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, titanium dioxide USP, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, iron oxide red NF, and triacetin USP.

Did absolutely nothing!
Reviewed on July 9, 2014

I took this medication for about a year after trying many other orals and topicals and my doctor was certain it would clear me up. At first it seemed to help a bit, less noticeable bumps and small break outs. But after a month my skin returned to its normal state. My doctor was convinced that I should stay on the medication and I somehow ended up on it for a year with NO change. One day I decided to stop taking it on my own and honestly my skin improved. At my next appointment my doctor commented on how the medication was finally working and I simply laughed and told her I wasn't even taking it.

CLEARED MY SEVERE ACNE.!
Reviewed on June 28, 2014

I had pretty bad acne on my face, back, and chest. On my first round it completely cleared my chest acne but i still had acne on my face and back. I am now on my second round of solodyn and my acne is completely gone everywhere. I've read a lot of reviews on this pill and when people stopped the pill the acne eventually came back. I hope this doesn't happen to me. Btw im 20 and have tried just about everything to clear my severe acne and this is the only thing that has helped.

Pretty ineffective
Reviewed on June 13, 2014

I have severe cystic acne and took Solodyn for about a month. It might have helped decrease some of the pimples, but did very little for the inflammation of my cysts. If your acne is not severe or cystic, it will probably work for you. If it is, you'll probably need something stronger.

Relief... Finally!
Reviewed on May 11, 2014

I've always suffered from acne ever since puberty. I've never had clear skin until last year when I used honey consistently. About eight months ago I had some health problems and had to stop taking my BCP. Within a few short weeks my clear skin erupted. It got very dry and itchy. For the first time in my life, I had cystic acne. I was in denial and thought I could fix it with natural products because that worked before... but eventually I decided to see a derm.

I was first prescribed a low does of 65 mg and spiro. At my six week follow up, my skin was a lot better, but I was still wasn't happy with it. He upped Solodyn to 105 mg and added aczone for the active acne on my face. Its only been two weeks but finally I'm seeing results. I've only had one new pimple since the change and its on the side my neck (easy to cover). I'm glad to finally have relief!

Works, but not on its own.
Reviewed on April 4, 2014

I've been using Ziana nightly and Acanya in the mornings for about 2 & 1/2 months now. My dermatologist added Solodyn to the mix about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago. I noticed a difference in about 1 week. The ziana and acanya cleared up my forehead but there were still some lingering marks and new pimples appearing around my jawline and chin. The Solodyn helped dry them and reduce the inflammation greatly. I've also noticed that new pimples seem to be less red and smaller. As far as side effects go, I've hardly felt any at all. I take the solodyn on a full stomach around lunch time and I avoid dairy. Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone with moderate acne.

Fantastic!
Reviewed on February 6, 2014

Let me start by saying that I've only been on it for 10 days. Regardless, I'm impressed. I went to my dermatologist last week for a 3 month follow-up, and I had two complaints. 1) I was taking 100 mg of Doxy, which was making me sick, and I wasn't seeing much of a change, and 2) I had terrible contact dermatitis on my eyelids (possibly from one of my topical medications). This was the second time I had contact dermatitis, though it never completely went away the first time. I asked him if he could put me back on minocycline, as I had taken it for years and it worked. He suggested Solodyn. I noticed a difference within 3 days. My old spots are drying up, and my scarring is starting to go away too. But what made me leave this review is I just realized that my contact dermatitis is 100% gone for the first time since before Thanksgiving. I don't know if this has something to do with minocycline being an anti-inflammatory, or what, but I'm thoroughly impressed.

LISTEN TO ME
Reviewed on December 17, 2013

LISTEN TO ME. I understand everybody reacts to medications differently , but I believe solodyn really works. I've been using it for a little bit more than a month. I'm using solodyn 55mg. It got worse a few times in this first month month, but I dealt with it. It was weird because as soon as I finished my 1 month bottle, I saw a difference in my skin. I have VERY sensitive skin, red, bumpy, inflamed and discolored. Taking this before bed is best so it absorbs better with an empty stomach. BUT besides solodyn I STRONGLY suggest taking turmeric curcumin supplements AND using the turmeric face mask 2-3 times a week. Here's the link for the ingredients of the mask. [link removed]

This WORKS. Especially for sensitive skin. It makes your skin extremely soft and smooth and brightens tone! I know you've tried EVERYTHING and so have I ! But I finally found something to control my inflamed irritated skin. I highly recommend solodyn and the turmeric face mask and supplements.

Also drink a lot of natural green tea with antioxidants! A cup a day.

Let me know how this work!

Caused low white blood cell count
Reviewed on December 13, 2013

This product worked great for me for 2 years. I did not see any negative side effects until I got a routine blood draw. My white blood cell count was so low my doctor suspected Leukemia and recommended a bone marrow test. Thankfully we did our research before proceeding. Solodyn can cause a low white blood cell count and other auto-immune problems (you can find this info on the manufacturer's website). I stopped taking the drug and my count went back to normal!

Question about Solodyn
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

Solodyn works great for my skin and I take it along with my birth control but there is a possibility that it can counteract my birth control I was wondering on here if anyone has had that experience? I'm not sure if continuing solodyn would be for me if i knew there was an increased possibility of getting pregnant while using this product

Reviewed on May 15, 2013

Solodyn was the very first thing my dermatologist ever prescribed me, and it worked wonders! I saw a huge difference within just 2 weeks, and not a month later my skin was completely clear. I was on it for about 5 months (the best 5 months of my life!) when my insurance switched and no longer covered the cost, so I had to switch to the generic which is Minocycline. After switching to Minocycline, my skin started to breakout again and it got really bad. The worst my skin has ever been. My dermatologist recommended staying on it for at least 3 months to see if it would get any better, but it never did so I went off it completely. A few months later there was a change in my insurance again and I got back on Solodyn, but unfortunately it never did anything as I suspect my system grew immune to it. But the months that it worked were probably some of the best months of my life and I wish there had never been an issue with the insurance so I could have seen how long it would have kept my skin clear. It was a miracle worker while it lasted. :)