Sodium Sulfacetamide

Average price: $23.31

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Northern California on 11/29/2012
thumbnail

I tried Clearasil, Neutrogena facewashes, soap free, oil free, Aveeno Foam cleanser, etc. Nothing worked - acne never went away, just got worse. My pimples either come to a head right away, are small and can be picked off, or are biggish bumps that stay under the skin for ages! All of them leave a red scar no matter what... and on top of that I am a picker. Awful habit, need to break it. This product works by killing the bacteria on the skin that causes acne. I find this a lot better than oral meds, unless you have hormonal acne. This heals any of the "correctly" popped pimples by helping them come to a scab overnight! For the ones I pick at, the skin just gets damaged and it takes longer to heal. Right now, my derm has put me on this stuff, minocycline 100 mg daily, and veltin gel. I think this combo works wonders if you have a similar condition to me. i have VERY SENSITIVE skin. cannot use anything harsh. I use the veltin at night, put aveeno daily moisture lotion after, go to bed, wake up, wash face, put on this stuff! then sunscreen and im out. No makeup. I am seeing major improvements already. Skin is becoming more evenly toned, less scarring. Wish the best of luck to all of you. I love this product so far, and I will keep you posted after about 3 more weeks. :) BTW - I am 17, in high school getting ready to go to college, wearing no makeup really helps your skin improve!.

Pros:
  • cleared any bumps that did not seem to come to a head within about 2/3 days!
  • saw a difference after the end of the first week, small pimples had dried and would flake off
  • goes on smooth, a little goes a long way
  • pimples will come up then go away and stay away!
  • getting my skin clear ... will continue to update
  • red marks are fading quicker!
Cons:
  • acne gets worse before it gets better; for mine, pimples came to a head (looked worse) but they are going away.
  • if you dont have insurance, can be pricey.

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%).

Purified water; propylene glycol; lauramide DEA (and) diethanolamine; polyethylene glycol 400, monolaurate; hydroxyethyl cellulose; sodium chloride; sodium metabisulfite; methylparaben; xanthan gum; EDTA and simethicone.

Member reviews

By on

I felt this medicine made my acne worse. I went from having 3-4 pimples at most (but I was always breaking out as soon as one cleared up another one came up!) to now having about 8 within one week of usage. I'm very disappointed and don't know if I should continue with this product or not!

Pros

• It doesn't sting, or really irritate my skin at all

Cons

• If you use too much it turns your skin a brown in glops--but it washes off (looked like self-tanner?) and it didnt' work
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've used the 10%/5% Wash for a few years, am just getting off of it. Stuff worked great for me, for quite awhile. Only gripe is the washing/foaming agent is pretty much non-existent. Great for people who just don't have much luck/success with Benzoyl Peroxide, or the joke that is Salicylic Acid

Pros

• Cleans up all forms of acne - really the only thing i've tried (which is a lot!) that works great for preventing my occasional humongo cysts.

Cons

• Price. Doesn't work very well as a wash, very little foaming action going on. I like the smell, yeah I said it.
  • moderate
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I went to one dermatologist who prescribed and rubbed benzaclin all over my face even after I told her i'd used it before and it irritated me and made my skin worse. Then she prescribed me a 5% benzyl peroxide wash... how is that different? So we cancelled our next appointment and no I'm going to the dermatologist my mother went to in the 80's. Well, after telling him that my skin does NOT react well with benzyl peroxide, he prescribed me Sulfacet-R to use at night with the acne-aid soap bar. Both are a bit drying so I use my EmerginC cleanser in the morning but WOW is my skin clearing up! I never thought it would be possible! I highly recommend this to anyone with sensitive or dry skin, it really is a miracle worker because it is so gently. Please try this!

Pros

• Both prevents and treats acne. I'm barely breaking out anymore with this stuff and it's great for killing big zits. Also my skin is less oily during the day.

Cons

• A bit drying - my skin is flaky without moisturizer but its not nearly as terrible as it was with Benzaclin or benzyl peroxide.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm in my mid-40's and still plagued by adult acne as well as seborrheaic dermatitis (really bad dandruff). In the past, I've used benzoyl peroxide (discolors my clothes, not particularly effective, drying); salicylic acid in alcohol (rebound oiliness of the skin); retin-A (a low concentration gel worked for many years, but when I started back on it again as a cream, my skin became sensitive to it. Now, even a small quantity causes itching, redness, swelling, pain, and increased friability of the skin). In addition, I finally determined after a number of years that my ketoconazole shampoo for the seborrhoea was aggravating the acne. The dermatologist my doctor referred me to prescribed Klaron lotion, since it is good for both acne and seborrhoea. Wow! It's completely nonirritating, nonstaining, nongreasy - and I can see results in less than 24 hours. I use it sporadically, several times a week. I've gone from routinely having 10-15 pimples in various stages, to 1-2 at most, an

Pros

• 1. It works. 2. Completely nonirritating.

Cons

• Only available by prescription
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It didn't work for me and it was expensive. But if your insurance can get it for you on the cheap it is worth a try.

• for a few months
  • $ 50

Get it if you need it.

Pros

• Great stuff. Seems to be working. Using it with Differin & Monodox.

Cons

• Don't know which prescription is doing it, but face is dry and sunburnt easily in 10 minutes.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I paid $7.50 for a bottle of this stuff. Let me tell you...I have tried EVERYTHING to clear up the constant pimples around my mouth. I have a strict cleansing, deep cleaning, exfoliating, masks, moisturizing, routine every day and NOTHING would work. I tried some of the most expensive brands from Sephora, C.O. Bigelow, even Neiman Marcus. Even classic Neutrogena and Clean & Clear would not work for my pimples. Well, after getting sooo incredibly fed up I went on an internet search and found this review board & the incrediable reviews for Klaron. I'm on birth control & really didnt want to take an oral med that may mess with my BC and possibly my body in general. So after reading the reviews of topical Klaron, I brought the info to my derma & said, "GIVE TO TO ME". *ALL MY ACNE HAS CLEARED UP*. AMAZING. It's cheaper than anything else i've used. I guess my health care is pretty good and it covers it. I use it twice a day and the results are REMARKABLE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*****

Pros

• Cleared up my acne when NOTHING Else would.

Cons

• nothing.
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 7.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• it work really well. Every time i put it on it does the trick! Sulfacetamide really works well 4 my whole family.

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 19
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

works fast and helps a ton. definitely worth it

Pros

• I use the pads and they make my skin feel so clean. Quickly clears existing acne and prevents future breakouts. This is like a wonder drug for acne.

Cons

• none
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

When other treatments like Benzaclin stopped working for me and even trying things like Differin - this worked great and cleared up my breakouts quickly. I do have to use more moisturizer each day but it is worth it.

Pros

• Quickly dries up existing acne and kicks in to prevent new breakouts. At most, waiting to see if it works might take up to 4 weeks.

Cons

• Might dry out skin initially. The smell isn't pleasant but dissapates quickly.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.