Sodium Sulfacetamide

Average price: $23.31

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Northern California on 11/29/2012
thumbnail

I tried Clearasil, Neutrogena facewashes, soap free, oil free, Aveeno Foam cleanser, etc. Nothing worked - acne never went away, just got worse. My pimples either come to a head right away, are small and can be picked off, or are biggish bumps that stay under the skin for ages! All of them leave a red scar no matter what... and on top of that I am a picker. Awful habit, need to break it. This product works by killing the bacteria on the skin that causes acne. I find this a lot better than oral meds, unless you have hormonal acne. This heals any of the "correctly" popped pimples by helping them come to a scab overnight! For the ones I pick at, the skin just gets damaged and it takes longer to heal. Right now, my derm has put me on this stuff, minocycline 100 mg daily, and veltin gel. I think this combo works wonders if you have a similar condition to me. i have VERY SENSITIVE skin. cannot use anything harsh. I use the veltin at night, put aveeno daily moisture lotion after, go to bed, wake up, wash face, put on this stuff! then sunscreen and im out. No makeup. I am seeing major improvements already. Skin is becoming more evenly toned, less scarring. Wish the best of luck to all of you. I love this product so far, and I will keep you posted after about 3 more weeks. :) BTW - I am 17, in high school getting ready to go to college, wearing no makeup really helps your skin improve!.

Pros:
  • cleared any bumps that did not seem to come to a head within about 2/3 days!
  • saw a difference after the end of the first week, small pimples had dried and would flake off
  • goes on smooth, a little goes a long way
  • pimples will come up then go away and stay away!
  • getting my skin clear ... will continue to update
  • red marks are fading quicker!
Cons:
  • acne gets worse before it gets better; for mine, pimples came to a head (looked worse) but they are going away.
  • if you dont have insurance, can be pricey.

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%).

Purified water; propylene glycol; lauramide DEA (and) diethanolamine; polyethylene glycol 400, monolaurate; hydroxyethyl cellulose; sodium chloride; sodium metabisulfite; methylparaben; xanthan gum; EDTA and simethicone.

Member reviews

By on

Compared to some of the facial washes I was purchasing for my face, this item is comparable if not cheaper! I am

Pros

• A nice creamy formula that has pretty much abolished my cystic and comedonal acne :)
  • No medicine smell (or at least it is not strong to me)

Cons

• Drying for the first few days but drying does subside
  • Must make sure to avoid eyes and mucosal surfaces since it is an antibacterial.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Prognosis looks good for me

Pros

• so far, working great

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

It works

Pros

• I have no more problems with acne

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It really works and my face looks great! And because I have great insurance I got it really cheap!

Pros

• I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide and I had pretty bad acne. So I went to the dermitologist and they told me to try it. I did and WOW!! Amazing results!

Cons

• None At All!
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This stuff is great!!! I had no side effects and my acne started clearing up almost immediately! It's a miracle lol because I have had acne for a good 2 years and nothing OTC worked for me! The only downfall would be it could be exspensive, but my family's insurance covered it.

Pros

• Really good this stuff works!! I have been using it with Epiduo & Solodyn for almost 2 weeks and the results are amazing!! I used to have about 12 pimples (more new ones everyday!) now I have about 3 with no new ones! Even the dark spots are fading!

Cons

• I had some drying for about a week & 1/2, but the dryness is mostly gone now. Especially if you moisturize, the dryness isn't a problem. I don't really even notice a sulfur smell at all. And it's prescription.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've had acne for years, along with Rosacea, so my skin is very sensitive to scrubs, etc. I am so amazed at how well this works - i'm finally happy with my skin for the first time in a long while. Tip: the form i use is on packaged cleansing cloths, and i cut them in quarters so they last longer and place the unused pieces back in the pkg until ready to use. Even the 1/4 size has plenty of cleanser on it.

Pros

• It works wonderfully!
  • Slight sulfer smell, but it doesn't linger

Cons

• Prescription only
  • Expensive without insurance
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This product is amazing! I've been using this for about 10 months and i have not gotten any big break outs. Just a pimple or two once and a while but not even big enough to even be noticed. I started seeing results after about two weeks and was completely clear in about four. It's very affordable if you have insurance about 10 bucks and works great. If you have not used it yet you should definitely give it a try!! I would totally recommend this product!!

Pros

• good for sensitive skin.

Cons

• none!
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used to use sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% in an actual lotion formulation (cream based). It didn't see THAT much improvement. But then again, I used it when I first started the treatment so there was a lot of work that the prescription had to do on my face. But later on switched over to the liquid formulation and it is soooo much better. I feel that the liquid formulation is much more effective. And the liquid formulation has a slight sheer pink tone to it, so I feel that it makes my skin tone look more even. I was given tinter drops along with the lotion so i could match the lotion to my skin tone, but I chose not to use the tinter. I no longer get ANY major breakouts. No more cysts. The tiny pimples sometimes do flair up, but they're not big and red the way they used to be. And the tiny ones heal very quickly.

Pros

• Really does work. I no longer get any cystic breakouts and the tiny pimples are barely visible.

Cons

• Kind of drying but not to the point where you feel that your face is craking. A mild sulfur smell as the lotion melts more into your face over time due to your body heat
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have had to deal with acne for years...have been on every Rx and over the counter medicine under the sun, nothing works. Just got put on the soduim sulfacetamide/sulfur wash and topical lotion and in one day i'm already seeing a MAJOR difference. If this stuff clears my face completely, I'm going to ask my new doctor to marry me.

Pros

• Works
  • Non-irritatiting

Cons

• Pricey if your insurance doesn't cover it, but in my opinion, 200$ is worth it if its going to clear up my face!
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This under my makeup along with Differin Gel .3% were the only 2 treatments that really kept my skin clear. I eventually stopped using this thinking it didn't do much and have been on Ziana gel. However, Ziana gel is awful so I'm going back to what worked best.

Pros

• Clear, no smell, not drying or irritating

Cons

• Expensive because of my new insurance :(
  • moderate
  • $ 80
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.