Smoothbeam Laser Acne Treatment

Recommended by 66% of visitors

Average price: $734.63

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Massachusetts on 12/26/2012

people who write these bad reviews on it saying they got hyperpigmentation that is only because they did not prep their face before the treatment with the preping cream the give you. if you forget to put that cream on every night you will hyperpigmentate and people who complain about it being so "painful" its not 1 bit... it feels like a baby got a okay pinch on you and as they go more along the face you just get use to it and it feels like nothing and its not long at all..

Pros:
  • so iv only done my first session so far and im loving everything about it, it is my first session so my face isnt completely clear yet i have 2 more sessions to go but i can definitely feel the difference and see the difference. my face looks lighter from the scaring removal and all of my face is alot clearer and the acne is alot lighter and going away and this is only my first treatment that i got 4 days ago and it wasnt painful at all because of the numbing cream.
Cons:
  • my skin is peeling-ish from the treatment my specialist said that would only be for about a week and its nothing a little lotion fixes right up for now.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

I have or had a pretty bad inflated acne. I have been taking meds and creams for about four or five months and three sessions of smoothbeam. After not seeing resulst (actually got worst first) with the creams, pills, and laser treatment, i started to doubt my doctor and my self about actually getting rid of my acne in the forehead. Thankfully, finally i see a light at the end of the tunnel. My acne is getting better. I still have a bad case of blemishes ( red pigmentation) that my doctor said will go away in three to six months (lase helping too). Slow and painful (mentally and physically) process. Be very very patient and soon you will see a light at the end of the tunnel.

P.S. My doctor (chicago) gave me a deal on the treatment of my acne, he charges me $85.00 for consultation, smooth beam and cortisone shots on only my forehead.

Pros

• I am starting to see results after my third session. YEAH!!!!!

Cons

• Painful, even with numbing cream. Somewhat expensive but i m getting a deal.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 85
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I HAD cystic acne. It was painful and unsightly. I only went for one smoothbeam treatment and my skin has cleared up. I typically get one pimple a month now...im sure if i went back and paid another $500 i would never break out again but it seems unnecessary. I had bad acne for 6 yrs .....$500 and 30 mins out of my schedule is worth the results....if u have bad scarring u may want to consider chemical peels...

Pros

• It works!!!! Also helps old scars fade a bit faster.... starts working after the first session...No down time..

Cons

• Laser feels like a rubber band snapping against your face. It hurts most across the forehead and at $500 per session, it can get pricey depending on how many treatments are needed
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 500
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

In the last year I've stopped taking birth control pills thinking it was making my skin break out, only to realize my skin got WAY worse without the pill. I researched Smoothbeam laser treatment and decided to do it. I got an alright deal; 5 treatments for $500. I've had 2 so far, about 3 to 4 weeks apart. So far I've noticed a bit of improvement as there are way less bumps along my jaw line, but as for the more surface acne on my chin it seems worse. Is there truth to the "it has to get worse before it gets better?" Previous to starting these treatments I would use the tanning bed to get control over my break outs, after my counseltation with the dr. I swore never to tan again; I'm tempted though as I've barely noticed any results so far....

Pros

• Decreased the "pea" sized bumps under my skin along the jaw line. Comparable in price if you consider all the things I've spent money on trying to rid my acne... proactive, mirad, microdermabrasion etc.

Cons

• Not the results I expected considering it a rather extreme procedure. My face seems somewhat more irritated than before I tried Smoothbeam. [side note] I also purchased over $120 worth of Skinceuticals products.... not doing much so far. Anyone else?
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 560
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Find a clinic that has their own before and after pictures! And ask them what the total cost to the client was to achieve the results in the picture. This is the best way to get a sense for what you are signing up for. There are lots of lasers out there any many of them are created equal. Shop for the best price. Our clinic see the most dramatic results when we combine Obagi Clenziderm or Obagi Nu-Derm with laser treatments. With product alone we can usually reduce active and new lesions by 50-80% within a couple of weeks.

We try to save our clients $ by using home care products to get the acne under control then recommend Laser Treatments to fix the scarring. [link removed] for great before and after photos using Fractional Resurfacing called "Profractional "

Pros

• This treatment uses the 1540nm wave length.Perfect for stimulating collagen and for shutting down subaceous glands. There is a lot of data supporting the use of this wave length and others that target water in the cells. Sciton Termascan is another.

Cons

• Up to 6 treatments required to complete the treatment! $$$$$$$ Often this treatment costs hundreds of dollars each treatment.
  • moderate
  • inconsistently
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Like others, I have suffered with acne for over 17 years. From the time I was 13 till present, I have been to at least 10 different dermatologists over the years, and have taken every type of acne medication ever offered. Many years of oral antibiotics, dozens of prescription face creams and face washes, two courses of accutane with no improvement. I thought that I was just an unfortunate person that would have to deal with severe acne and terrible scars my whole life. Two weeks ago I decided to have smoothbeam laser treatment and I must say that I can see the difference after the first treatment. Where nothing has worked in the past, this seems like a potential miracle for someone like me. I am very excited and anxious to have the 2nd treatment done and I will most certainly post a follow up message. Skin alot less oily, and my scars just look different to me already. I would urge all to try Smoothbeam and not wait.

Pros

• Very Quick, Minimal Pain, No downtime Real potential for shrinking oil glands, reducing acne and helping improve/correct acne scars

Cons

• None so far. Do not let price be a deterrent for you.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 660
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

U have to do many procedures. They sold me 7 more treatments for $700 total so i will continue doing it. This time with no peels in between. Overall, i like the appearance of the upper half of my face and hopefully can get the same results with the lower half after some time. U cant depend on this alone for acne. U must use a regimen that works for u.

Pros

• It worked real well after 5 treatments. then i did a glycolic peel in between the 5th and 6th treatment and that totally messed up my skin. so i gotta get more. oil production is much less. improved the apprearance of scars. forehead is flawless!

Cons

• i get weird breakouts after the procedure ( on my nose, upper lip, etc.) but they go away. I did not see results until the 4th treatment but they started me at a low setting and worked up the intensity with proceeding procedurs.
  • for a few months
  • $ 1700
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This procedure is too expensive for what you get. I had about 6 or 7 treatments. I like the way my face feels afterwards - smooth and soft but, it didn't do anything for my acne (my face only had 1 or 2 small pimples at that time), didn't prevent new acne from forming and did not decrease the size of my pores, which is why I tried the procedure in the first place.

Bottom line - at a cost of $400 each time, totally not worth it.

Pros

• Leaves your face really smooth for a couple of days.

Cons

• Even with the numbing cream, it hurts like hell, especially where you have a pimple. I also didn't notice it getting rid of any pimples. Your face is really red afterwards and, if you don't wear sunscreen, you can get brown marks.
  • very light
  • for about a year
  • $ 400
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am a nurse in Ontario who performs this procedure in a Dr.s Clinic. I want everyone to understand that from what I have experienced with my patients is that the smoothbeam works as long as your always doing it. As soon as my patients stop this treatment for any certain length of time their acne always comes back. I would consider this treatment, but it seems to be working as a ACNE MAINTENANCE and NOT a cure. I find it to be expensive for maintenance and personally wouldn't recommend it. Some of my patients love this treatment, but agree they have to always do it or their acne will come back. If you have the money to use this treatment as maintenance then go for it, but there are better solutions such as Clear Light, and or Accutane. Accuaten isn't as bad as some of ths stuff I have read. I know, I deal with people on it everyday. Worst Side effect usually is dry craked lips.

Pros

• Works but only as maintenance. Not permanent resolution.

Cons

• Expensive for treatments.

By on

So far I love it. And yeah, the price is expensive, but were talking about your face! I have also heard that it can be safely done while pregnant. They just dont want you using the numbing cream.

Pros

• I have only had two treatments but seems to works well. Just got off my aldactone pills and my skin is still clear. Normally if I skip even one day of those pills I get that cystic acne back.

Cons

• It's expensive and sometimes leaves red scale marks on your face for a few days if they administer the laser wrong.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 400
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

worked with more than recommended treatments

Pros

• you may need more treatments than they recommend!! i had about 7, i have cystic acne that leaves scars, tried everything, if you can afford it hang in there because i was cystic acne free for over a yr, but was told i may need touch up treatment

Cons

• expensive;
  • severe
  • $ 4000
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.