Smoothbeam Laser Acne Treatment

Recommended by 66% of visitors

Average price: $734.63

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Massachusetts on 12/26/2012

people who write these bad reviews on it saying they got hyperpigmentation that is only because they did not prep their face before the treatment with the preping cream the give you. if you forget to put that cream on every night you will hyperpigmentate and people who complain about it being so "painful" its not 1 bit... it feels like a baby got a okay pinch on you and as they go more along the face you just get use to it and it feels like nothing and its not long at all..

Pros:
  • so iv only done my first session so far and im loving everything about it, it is my first session so my face isnt completely clear yet i have 2 more sessions to go but i can definitely feel the difference and see the difference. my face looks lighter from the scaring removal and all of my face is alot clearer and the acne is alot lighter and going away and this is only my first treatment that i got 4 days ago and it wasnt painful at all because of the numbing cream.
Cons:
  • my skin is peeling-ish from the treatment my specialist said that would only be for about a week and its nothing a little lotion fixes right up for now.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

Do not do it! Painful, expensive at $700 per treatment (insurance does not cover this procedure) but worse my skin looks terrible

• $ 700

By on

I am 23 years old and have had moderate acne since I was 15 years old. I mainly breakout around the chin, neck line where I shave, forehead, and corner of nose (t-zone areas) because my skin produces way too much oil. I am planning to do 3 smoothbeam treatments at $250 piece six weeks apart. I have had one treatment so far at a medium setting with multiple passes. I did not experience any pain during my first treatment ( it actually felt pretty cool). My skin is looking better, however, I am still one oily son of a b**ch, and I constantly have to use those oil absorbing pads or else my face shines like a star. I thought this was suppose to reduce oil (which is the main reason I got the treatment). Hopefully, after a couple of months and treatments I will start to notice the oil reducing. I am looking forward to my 2nd and 3rd treatments as I think my skin will only get better. I hope this works!!! I will post a couple of weeks after my 2nd treatment.

Pros

• Skin feels really smooth.

Cons

• Still getting oily skin which causes my breakouts.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 250
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I would recommend this treatment to all, especially if you have tried other methods with little to any results. The laser heats up the skin beneath the surface resulting in killing of bacteria and shrinking of oil glands. I could really see in the future that the laser treatment will replace the once convential methods of treating acne. Convential methods may or may not work but they certainly will not deal with scarring and the red marks, wheras smoothbeam corrects these problems as well. My only wish was they had this technology 15 years ago when I was in highschool.

My advice... If you are someone that is sufferring or if you have kids that are suffering, get them the treatment. It is expensive, but it could really change their life. Hopefully one day insurance will cover this miracle treatment.

Pros

• It works it really does Use RetinA as well and you should be golden

Cons

• It takes repeated treatment and it costs an average of 600 per session So it can get expensive
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 3900
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

For the pain and cost, I do not think the laser treatment is a good investment.

Pros

• Little redness after treatments, skin is less oily too.

Cons

• Hurts a little, and not much of an improvement.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 300
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

For me the smoothbeam has worked wonderfully. The sting of the machine is only slightly annoying, considering how embarassing acne cysts can be, the smoothbeam is nothing in comparision. the texture of my skin is smoother, even some of my fine line wrinkles have diminished along with some of my old darkened marks from previous pimples. i had to have about 5 or 6 treatments on my cheeks and so far 3 on my chin, but my acne is pretty severe. don't know how long it will last, time will tell. for me the only down side is the cost, but compared to how depressed i feel well my skin is swollen and infected, i'll take the smoothbeam and try my best to budget for it.

Pros

• has definitely cleared up my cheeks, acne has seemed to migrate down to my chin now, so now i am following up with some chin treatments.

Cons

• cost
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 300
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

it made my skin really sensitive and now i feel after the laser treament it has made my skin worst! i have whiteheads all over my face when before it i rarely had that much acne. Also it made my skin rough! Please don't do it, it totally ruined my life. I feel soooo insecure and depressed because of my worsten skin. Just love ur skin and remember that when ur hormones stop raging, ur acne will be better. when u get older,your acne will impreove. I really regret doing laser treatments. I wish i can go back in time and not do it. It has been 5 months since the treatments and I really hope my acne will go away in time. I am 19 and my family memebers said they stoped getting acne at 22, so hopefully it will improve by then. Yet i am afraid that sinc ei had laser and have very sensitive skin due to using other products, i might break out all my life. Please don't do, its not worth damaging your face and self esteem. Also,

Pros

• it clears acne for the time it says it would. like 6 months for me

Cons

• it made my skin really sensitive, and i broke out more than before the treament, white heads all over my face
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 3500
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i made my 4th treatment 2 weeks ago, this treament it's suppost be done 4 in 4 weeks, or so, so the skin cells can heal from the internal burn. I started four monts ago, its rewarding. i started to see results in the second or 3 mont. Every mont i see less pimples appearing, In the next monts my acne will be gone, i am sure of that.

OBS: its kind funny... cuz my skin still super oiled!! how does this happen? the treatement is to make ur oil glands produce more oil, but i still have the face oiled. This kind makes me wonder?! since the acne gets better and better but the skin still super oiled.

Pros

• redness disapered completely
  • i had like 20 % the acne i had
  • acne keeps getting better and better.

Cons

• the laser hurts like hell :)
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 120
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I can't wait to see what my skin looks like after a few more treatments. I've tried everything there is to try including many pills and almost every topical, and one other laser, and my acne has been winning the war for many many years. I can't believe I'm actually optimistic.

Pros

• I just had my first treatment done this morning... so far I think it is going well (although it may be too early for me to really say). My face feels tighter and looks smoother already.

Cons

• It hurt like a bizzatch, even with numbing cream. Especially on the sides of my cheeks next to my hairline. I couldn't feel it much on my chin or my forehead though. But beauty is pain, and you have to tough it out or you'll never ever see results
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Starting 12/09 through 3/09 I under went a series of 5 smoothbeam laser treatments and ended with 1 microdermabrasion. About half way through my laser treatments I got back on birth control pills, which by the way I noticed almost immediate improvement along my most problematic area; chin and jawline (proven to be hormone related acne). After purchasing a few products from the medispa, along with all 6 treatments, I spent a total of $675! My skin still broke out, really didn't look better at all, as I was still mortified going out in public with no make up on. After randomly googling one day I came upon the idea of epsom/sea salt facials. Ive been doing them for about a week. My skin is wayyyy better, as Epsom salt is natural and meant to be used for inflammation. PLEASE TRY EPSOM/SEA SALT ($6) BEFORE TRYING LASOR TREATMENTS ($700)! GOOGLE IT YOULL FIND A TON OF INFO. TRUST ME ITS WORTH TRYING.

Pros

• Very minor improvement

Cons

• Extremely expensive, painful, and has shown little to no results.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 675
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Do NOT do this!!! I had this done 4 months ago and am still going through depression from it. It took a lot for me to even get online to post this, as it makes me sick to my stomache to even think about it. I went to my derm. to see about clearing up some old acne scars that I had which werent that bad. He tells me about Smoothbeam and says it will definitely help with no side effects.BS!!! I suffered hyperpigmentation along with more scarring. Again, it has been 4 months and during this time I have gotten a new derm. who I have received 6 Microderms from and have been prescribed a Hydroquinone cream from. I must say that this has extremely helped me out, but the truth of the matter is that I am still in depression and she tells me that by the time thats its all said and done that we will only be able to correct about 75% of the damage. :( Even though this has been very hard for me, it has taught me a lesson....love who you are, dont worry about it. Hope this helps some of you

Pros

• NONE!!!

Cons

• EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!
  • very light
  • $ 550
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.