Skinoren Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

Average price: $22.17

Brand: Skinoren

Most helpful review

By Lee, New Zealand on 12/05/2012

I'm a 32 year old male. Suffered from acne since early teens. Derma said I would have adult acne into my 40's. Tried roaccutane when I was younger, antibiotics, BP cream, Salicylilc acid etc. and nothing worked. I don't know how I didn't know about Azelaic Acid but I'm so glad I do now! - Been using for 3 months and my skin is clearer than it has ever been and there are NO side effects to this cream. No flaky skin, no sensitive skin, no sun sensitive skin just clear skin! Use it twice a day after cleansing with a mild cleanser like cetaphil. Apply generously to the entire affected area, this isn't a spot treatment. I rub in over chin and cheeks area. A 30g tube lasts me about 3 weeks. NOTE! - Give this treatment a chance. It takes at least 4 weeks to start working but after that you will notice a continual improvement. Good luck! There is hope! :).

Pros:
  • It works!
  • No side affects
  • Reasonably priced (in NZ)
Cons:
  • Could do with a bigger tube?

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Azelaic Acid (20%).

Arlatone 983 S (polyoxyethylene fatty acid ester), cutina CBS (mixture of mono-dicglyceridene, fatty alcohols, triglycerides and wax esters), cetearyloctanoate, propylene glycol, glycerol 85%, benzoic acid, purified water.

Member reviews

By on

im jo, used this medication twice, last year and this year. used it last year for 5 months, this year 6 months. firat time used worked great for the first couple of weeks, no break outs at all. could see improvements. but this came to a hault when went on holiday to dubai last year, where the cream waz findin it hard to cope wit da heat. so it stopped workin.

the second year (2009) i used it 4 a long time, more than 6 months, dis time it made ma face worse got some scarring 4rm it. i think it didnt work, cauz maye i didnt use enough cream or cauz need to use plain water to wash it off, or cauz u might have to use da cream on ur whole of ur face. but worth a try 4 a newcomer, jut try and follow what the instructions say.

Pros

• worked the first time i ever tryed it on ma face,
  • price is cheap and can be perscribed by derm 4 free

Cons

• can cause skin to look more red, itchy, may not work 4 everyone.
  • light
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've been uisng Skinoren for the past 6 months in conjuction with Docycyl (anti-biotic). The first 4 months my skin cleared up a bit but then the past two months the red inflammed acne came back.

My derm started gave me Minerva 35 and i started medication 2 days ago still in conjuction with Skinoren applied twice a day.

I will keep you posted regarding my progress, maybe this time I hope to see some improvement.

Pros

• Its cheap
  • Stings when you apply it around the mouth and eyes

Cons

• Stings when you apply it around the mouth and eyes
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I said I will update u in 3 months,after writting here on the 11 May 2009. Well I have not finished 3 moths yet. But let me tell u I look much,much,much better than i was 2 moths ago.The pimples r completely gone.The dark spots r much lighter but still visible.Let me just say my self-esteem and confidence is right up thereeee.Am feeling GOOOD.Remember Iam on 6 months programme using Skinoren with Minerva35,end of the month I will visit my derm just to see if he is happy.But I am. I will update u again in 3 months. My curiousity now is wath will happen after i finish the 6 months.Mhhhh dont know will have to wait and see.But I cannot take another break out.

Pros

• Works really really good.....,One just has to be patient and follow the instructions given by their doctor.We all want something that works quickly but patience is important.Definately worth trying.

Cons

• Itchy when u put it on....But I can handle it.Makes skin dry especially in winter as it is winter in SA now.but I use Nutraderm Moisturising Lotion for the dryness.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 66
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have only been using Skinoren for four days. My doctor prescribed it along with a course of oral Clarithromycin.

Since coming off the pill in December my skin has really broken out - I get a lot of whiteheads in particular. Tried using topical Clindamycin and that is OK but not amazing. Was contemplating Retin-A but am going to give this a go first.

As other posters say, it does itch and sting when you first put it on. Makes me want to rub my face a lot and is hard to stop myself! I have already noticed fewer spots but I am still getting some whiteheads so I still have a way to go.

I have been using it on my neck and chest too and my neck it quite red, like i have mild sunburn, hope that goes away. My chest area seems to be more stubborn as the spots are still there and show no sign of going.

I really hope it works over the next few weeks

Pros

• Easy to apply
  • Relatively cheap

Cons

• stings a bit.
  • Has made my neck very red (like a rash)
  • Takes a while to properly work
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I started using this cream on January 26th 2009 with EXTREMELY bad acne pigmentation and some mild active acne. As of 12 June 2009 I can say the difference is unbelievable.

If you've been prescribed this cream please use it as directed and give it at least 7-9 weeks to kick in. I really thought this cream wasnt working for me and after around 5 weeks I felt like giving up but I stuck with it, then after around 8 weeks I noticed that my pigmentation had decreased dramatically - and believe me, if you think yours is bad, I would bet money it's nothing compared to what mine was - my entire forehead had atleast 68 spots, by my count, of pigmentation that had gone from red to purple - I constantly looked like I had been beaten up in a fight, my face itself wasnt much better either.

Anyway I've been using it for nearly 5 months now and I can say this product is awesome and according to my doctor safe to use in the longterm (unlike BP products), so I say, get this cream from you

Pros

• Works VERY well

Cons

• Leaves your skin a bit red for about 20 minutes after using
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• for about a month

By on

I see a difference.I see the pimples are smaller and dry in the morning.Im starting my 2nd week today.My derm said it will help will the scars as i have dark skin.My dermatologist has put me on a 6 months program.im taking Minerva-35 as well.The combination seems to be really working.Will keep u updated in 3 months.

Pros

• Could see difference on the first 2 day of use.Hope it continues to work.I see less pimples.Makes skin feels smooth and nicely matt

Cons

• Has an itchy feeling after putting it on.The scars are still there though.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 66
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I don't have any acne, I do get the odd spot. I am using it for Chloasma which is a hyperpigment problem with dark skin. It seems to be working but only used it for 3 days so i'll give it a month or so.

Pros

• It makes your skin very smooth.

Cons

• Little itchy
  • very light
  • for a day or two
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am really pleased with this so far i will keep you informed, my skin looks so much clearer already

Pros

• i have tried lots of acne treatments, including oral antibiotics, nothing seemed to last this cream is great could feel diff after two days skin alot clearer no new cysts formed very happy with it

Cons

• stings a little at first but it doesnt last
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 16
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Good product. I find it was very helpful when teamed with twice daily treatments of topical erythromycin.

Pros

• It left my skin feeling smooth. Made my expoliator more effective when removing my scars. Dried out my open comedones.

Cons

• Burns. For a good amount of times. I would keep away from your mucosal areas (near your eyes and creases near your nose)
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.