Skinoren Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

Average price: $22.17

Brand: Skinoren

Most helpful review

By Lee, New Zealand on 12/05/2012

I'm a 32 year old male. Suffered from acne since early teens. Derma said I would have adult acne into my 40's. Tried roaccutane when I was younger, antibiotics, BP cream, Salicylilc acid etc. and nothing worked. I don't know how I didn't know about Azelaic Acid but I'm so glad I do now! - Been using for 3 months and my skin is clearer than it has ever been and there are NO side effects to this cream. No flaky skin, no sensitive skin, no sun sensitive skin just clear skin! Use it twice a day after cleansing with a mild cleanser like cetaphil. Apply generously to the entire affected area, this isn't a spot treatment. I rub in over chin and cheeks area. A 30g tube lasts me about 3 weeks. NOTE! - Give this treatment a chance. It takes at least 4 weeks to start working but after that you will notice a continual improvement. Good luck! There is hope! :).

Pros:
  • It works!
  • No side affects
  • Reasonably priced (in NZ)
Cons:
  • Could do with a bigger tube?

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Azelaic Acid (20%).

Arlatone 983 S (polyoxyethylene fatty acid ester), cutina CBS (mixture of mono-dicglyceridene, fatty alcohols, triglycerides and wax esters), cetearyloctanoate, propylene glycol, glycerol 85%, benzoic acid, purified water.

Member reviews

By on

I started getting acne 3 years ago(I'm 14 old now)..My mum bought it 1 week ago so I gave it a try.After 3 daysI was 100% acne free.I only had some scars left.It also reduced oilness..But suddenly the oilness came back and I broke out..

I still use it and maybe it's just to early to see if it really works..=/

Pros

• Reduced oily skin and redness.
  • Controls acne

Cons

• After a while it stopped working :(
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 692
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm 24 and I've had mild acne around my mouth and jaw since I was 18. I've tried many things such as Benzoyl Peroxide, Minocyline, not eating fatty foods, cutting out alcohol, drinking lots of water and wasting money on tons of different face washes, scrubs and moisturisers.

My doctor perscribed me this cream after my antibiotics didn't seem to be doing anything after a year of being on them. I was gutted when she suggested this cream as I felt like she was getting rid of me.

After two weeks of wanting to scratch my skin off after applying this cream, I began noticing my breakouts seemed to have slowed down/stopped. Let me tell you this though, my skin did seem to break out after a few days in a major way. All the little tiny bumps developed into red spots. They seemed to all come out at once and lasted almost a week.

I am now a 5 weeks into using it and I can't believe how much this cream has helped. I still get the odd little spot that goes after a few days, it never gets inflamed and the spots I do get have stopped hurting. I'm going to have a few sunbed sessions to help remove the dark marks (or blend them in) but I shall continue using this cream for as long as I can.

I'm due to see my doctor again in a week so hopefully she will perscribe me some more.

I am absolutely delighted with this product. I only use a light scrub to help remove any dead/flaking skin.

Pros

• Reduces redness of spots
  • Smoothes out the skin
  • Keeps your skin dry but not overly dry
  • It actually works... Really!

Cons

• It itches so much, I wanted to rip my skin off for the first week
  • I broke out after a few days for about a week
  • Small tube for £7.40, it's quite expensive
  • I don't think it's available over the counter
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 15

By on

Pros

• I have tried almost every cream for acne
  • and when I went to my GP last week and prescribed me 'another cream' I was almost going to tell her to stuff it. What I didn't realise is that she prescribed me the marvelous Skinoren cream.
  • You can feel it working
  • Matte's the skin
  • Reduced red inflamed spots
  • dosen't cause redness
  • good for sensitive skin
  • Anti-bacterial
  • helps skin renew (acne scars)

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This really worked for me, after having severe acne after stopping the pill and then even in pregnancy. This product finally gave me the relief I have been looking for. I use it at night and during the day I use the effaclar series by LaRoche Posay.

Pros

• It works! My skin cleared up for the first time in years within 2 weeks of using this product.

Cons

• stings & tingles slightly for the first few times of use
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using this item for 3.5 months now. I am not happy with the results. I still have acne. I have been using it inconjunction with Tetralysal antibiotics. The areas affected by acne has changed, before I started is was my t-zone, but now it has moved to my cheeks. Now, I have to start all over again and try a new product and hope that it works :(

• $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've waited 4 months before writing on here as I wanted to give the product a fair shot. While it might not be for everyone, it HAS worked for me so if this review can be of use to anyone then I'll be happy.

For the first week I only used it on alternate days, finally building up to twice a day every day. I don't know if it was the skinoren or the UV lamp I started using (Beauty Skin by Dr Kern - another fantastic product), but within the first few weeks I definitely had a purge. Not terrible, at most 6-7 papules, and certainly not as big as my previous pimples.

After this my skin has really improved: I went from a lot of whiteheads (clogged pores) and papules to almost no whiteheads nor any sort of papules. While the whiteheads were 'coming out' there was some redness, but this was temporary and the marks have nearly all but faded.

I still get the occasional hormonal pimple but these are much much smaller than 4 months ago and go within a few days (unlike a few weeks). I would definitely recommend this product to people who are sensitive to Retin-A and BP, as I was. Please do remember that I am using this in conjunction with the UV lamp, which is excellent.

Altogether I am very happy and I hope you can be too. Thanks for reading and good luck!

Pros

• Really reduces clogged pores thus less pimples
  • Lightens previous acne marks
  • Easy to apply and doesn't smell too clinical
  • One tube lasts a long time

Cons

• Can sting/tingle the first few times of usage
  • Difficult to find in the UK, my doctor hadn't even heard of it, so have to have it shipped from New Zealand
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Stopped use after one week as skin is in much worse condition than when i started.

Pros

• worked for 2 days. seems to work initially for first few hours when put on skin.

Cons

• after 2 hrs skin became extremely greasy. I was really suffering from whiteheads and blackheads (small zits), after using this cream for 1 week i now have 5 huge papules on my face with even more blackheads and whiteheads and make up just seems to slide off.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I apply Skinoren once a day before bedtime. The first week I used this product, I experienced an initial breakout. I used it in conjunction with Eryacne. I didn't experience the stinging that so many other members have reported, though I do apply Skinoren over a light moisturizer which might help inhibit stinging. I've experienced no irritation or excessive drying. My skin seems to like Skinoren. Combining Eryacne and Skinoren is keeping my skin clear.

Pros

• Evens out skin tone. My slightly pinkish skin tone is less pink. It's an effective spot treatment too. Quickly eliminates red spots left behind by acne.

Cons

[not submitted]
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

definitely worth a try! IT's cost effective and it works better than any other acne treatment I have tried

Pros

• Reduces inflammation & redness almost immediately, excellent @ clearing away the large obnoxious blemishes

Cons

• a bit drying, hard to find
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've been using Differin for 4 weeks now, and my IB was so bad that I decided to add Skinoren in. It worked wonders so far, all the bigger zits on my forehead are gone, redness is starting to fade too. Been using it for a week only, scrapped Differin fully (although people keep saying not to, but the breakouts just wouldn't cease!). In any case, Skinoren has stopped new breakouts too, which is great. Only concern I have is that my already dry skin is looking really thin and shiny, so I can't use it later on - on a daily basis. Maybe when it clears up most of the my forehead I'll consider using it every second day.

Also, it didn't help me at all with the little pores on my nose - made it more red, and skin thinner. I think it's a medication to be used on moderate acne, to be honest.

I'd reccommend it though, it's a moderately quick fix - I'm sure I saw resutls after just one day of use :)

Good luck!

Pros

• Works really quickly
  • Using more doesn't irritate the skin

Cons

• Mild itching when I first tried it
  • Was gone with the next application
  • Dries my skin out quite a bit
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 10