SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense reviews

3.9/5 - 12 reviews

Brand: SkinCeuticals

Salicylic Acid 1.5%. Alcohol Denat., Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycolic Acid, Diisopropyl Adipate, Octadeceneioic Acid, Hydroxyethylpiperazine Thane Sulfonic Acid, Citric Acid, Capryloyl Alcicylic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Polyquaternium-10.

The best I've tried so far...
Reviewed on March 27, 2014

I am 50 years old, and have had acne since I was 12, off and on. It was bad in my early teens, cleared in my early 20's, only to resurface again as that dreaded "adult acne" in my 30's. I have mostly been limited to chin acne, but this in an of itself has been upsetting to live with, and has caused scarring over the years. Like most on here, I've tried it all. Except accutane, which I simply refused to do because of the side effects and the potential for liver damage.

After a particularly bad bout last summer, I went to get a facial and the aesthetician recommended this product, along with the facial cleanser.

Well...it was pretty amazing, I will admit. For the first time in a long time, my chin acne was GREATLY diminished!! I'm not going to go so far as to say it cleared 100% or was a "miracle", because I've learned the hard way that there is no "miracle" cure to acne. It just is a battle that, unfortunately, some of us will face for life. But, for me, this product has been the BEST one I've ever used!! It's reduced my breakouts from several cysts every month, to about 2-3 cysts in the last year. And those tend to come to a head quicker and not be quite as big and painful. Plus, this product tends to speed up healing the red mark. As far as treating lines...? Well, I haven't noticed too much of a diminishment in those, unfortunately, but I didn't start using the product to treat lines anyway, so I am OK with that :-)

I will say that I also started using Saw Palmetto at about the same time I found this product. This product, plus the saw palmetto standardized extract ( 160mg tab, 3x day) has greatly reduced my breakouts.

So, give it a try. Don't expect miracles, people, because you'll always be disappointed if you are looking for a miracle cure for adult acne. It doesn't exist. But, for me.....someone who's tried them all, this product has been the best so far, and greatly increased my confidence around my troubled skin.

Doesn't work
Reviewed on October 1, 2013

I don't notice a difference, I often wonder if it even has all the ingredients listed, because other products with similar ingredients work.

Reviewed on February 28, 2013

I had severe acne, and this stuff helped clear up my skin. it has stopped the spread of acne on my face. i can face the world again. It does dry your skin out a little but it is totally worth it. Make sure you have a good water based moisturiser

Reviewed on November 27, 2012

I have adult and cystic acne after the pill and year of antibiotics to try and rid me of them. Nothing else worked long term until this. I thought it would stop working but a year later and Im clear. I get the odd spot which fades fast now. I apply this only in the morning then apply a sunscreen. On its own its really potent and can sting alittle. You can mix it with one drop of bio oil to dilute it too and it wont break you out. You skin may become sensitive to scraing so dont pick, cysts and whiteheads will fade so fast with this, just leave them, trust me. You have to try this I was suicidal before finding this

Reviewed on July 12, 2012

This is the first stuff I have used that actually worked, and I've tried just about everything under the sun from prescription grade medications and topicals, to Dan's regimen, to natural alternatives and Vitamin supplements.

So worth the price tag, don't be fooled this isn't your ordinary Salicyclic Acid gel, it contains the perfect blend of acids to exfoliate the skin and increase cell turnover. It contains 2% Dioic Acid, 0.3% LHA, 1.5% Salicylic Acid, 3.5% Glycolic Acid, and 0.5% Citric Acid. Sounds like an awful lot but it never once irritated my sensitive skin and if you follow with a light moisturizer \ you won't even experience flakes and dryness (unlike Retin-A and Dan's BP).

How I use: Wash face with a gentle cleanser (I use Yes to Carrots Daily Cleanser), apply 3-4 drops of SC Blemish + Age Defense, wait 30 min, then apply light moisturizer (I use CeraVe). I do this morning and night every day and I haven't had skin this clear since before I started getting acne. Whats great is this product not only treats and prevents acne, but it also helps get rid of the marks that acne leads behind. I can't comment on the anti-aging aspect as I'm only 20 and don't have fine lines yet. But seriously give this a try and wait a couple weeks before you give up because it may not seem like anything is happening but before you know it you will keep waking up without any breakouts on a consistent basis.

Reviewed on February 21, 2012

Love this product. I have had cyctic acne since teen years, and am now 33. I have been limited with what my dermatologist could do because we are either pregnant or trying to get pregnant for the last couple of years. I did Proactiv for awhile, but it did not work consistently. I also did 4 smoothbeam treatments, which worked great, but results only lasted 1 year. Cost there was $400. So now my derm recommended Blemish & AGe Defense. I noticed results over night. My cystic acne seemed to be shrinking. My skin was not oily or inflamed (red). A few days later, my acne scars are lightening. My current acne is still healing, but no new pimples. I am completely amazed. The product is expensive (about $78 + shipping on skinceuticals web site), but my derm said 1 bottle should last about 6 months. So the cost over 6 months is not so bad for me, and way cheaper than smoothbeam. Last comment: I have extremely sensitive skin. I have eczema/seborratic dermatitis around my nose, which means drying acne products may work on my acne, but flair my eczema. This product gives me no flairs. It is worth trying, My derm gave me a free sample bottle, which I am still using, and it's been almost a week.

Reviewed on January 30, 2012

I am 30 years old and have tried MANY products out there for my cystic acne(including accutane) with no luck! After a few days using this line i have seen MAJOR improvement. Who wouldve thought I dont have to get worse before getting better!?!? I recommend using other products in the line suited for your skin type to see the best results. I got lucky and found an amazing esthetician who knows her stuff! In combination with this product she suggested the LHA cleanser, phloretin cf (formulated with vitamin c), phyto corrective gel (helps with inflammation- really calms down redness and leaves skin soft). My skin has never looked so good! Its bright and hydrated and I am ecstatic!! :) Try this skincare line! you will not regret it!!

Reviewed on January 24, 2012

Ive been using this for about 4 months, three drops in the morning, and three at night. I have never written a review before, but this is so worth writing one for!!

I used to have bad acne in my teens, has improved down to a monthly hormonal breakout, but i am still seriously fearful of getting a spot, i am super picky about what goes on my face, i dont even let people touch my face!!

Since using this serum, i have not had one major breakout at all. I get about two or three tiny spots around my time of the month, but nothing that bad, and they clear. up in a few days with minimal or no marking.

Not sure about the age defense part, but wasnt really a concern of mine anyway. Definitely get this!!

Reviewed on November 16, 2011

I'm 74 and have had acne since I was 12. It's always been worst on my chin, and every picture taken of me since junior high shows at least one big spot on my chin. I thought I might make the Guiness Book of World Records for "longest case of acne ever." Then I discovered this product, and it keeps the acne under control and smooths out my wrinkles. Even the )( between my eyes is much less noticeable. Last month I attended my 55-year high school reunion, and received many compliments about my beautiful skin. The group photo of the class shows me with clear skin and fewer wrinkles than most of my classmates. It took 62 years, but finally I really do have beautiful skin!