Shea Butter

Average price: $8.01

Most helpful review

By Nikki, UK on 11/02/2012
thumbnail

I used 100% unrefined organic virgin shea butter. The kind that smells of forest. I love how it smells and feels and that it's a 100% natural, but I won't be letting it near my face again. I started to get black heads and under the skin bumps when my problem was only whiteheads before. I'm still dealing with the after math now..

Pros:
  • Great moisturizer for the body, especially the feet
  • Great as an eye cream
  • Firms up and hydrates the skin
  • Glowy healthy looking skin
  • You could eat it if you really wanted too
  • No parabens
Cons:
  • Clogged pores immediately after use

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Not bad!”
By on

I applied this on my face every morning. It's a great moisturizer, and makes my skin look great, healthy, and with a nice looking shine. Sometimes it can clog your face if you don't wash it at the end of the day before you go to bed.

It evened out my skin texture.

It's worth a try.

Pros

• Moisturizes
  • Makes skin look great

Cons

• may be a bit too heavy for some
  • great for the winter
  • for a few months
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Shea butter is a no no”
By on

I usually use Palmers Cocoa Butter but i ran out and decided to use my sisters shea butter. She uses it for her hair though. Ive been an acne sufferer and been clear for two years now thanks to research and habits. So of course i looked up reviews on shea butter. Some were good reviews some bad. So everyone is different so i gave it a try. Omg break outtt mania! I was getting cyst and so many white heads and i started picking again :( still recovering after 2 months. Pleaseeeee dont use shea butter on your face!

Pros

• natural
  • mosturized

Cons

• breaks you out for weeks
  • smells funny
  • cyst and clogged pores in new areas
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Moisturizes AND heals!!!”
By on

I never write reviews... This stuff works better than all the millions of other moisturizers I've tried, so here I am. EVERY moisturizer makes my acne worse. Lotions, argan oil, jojoba oil, natural stuff, drugstore stuff, expensive stuff... Plus at 36, I have some wrinkles (ex smoker) and my skin is so unbalanced between dryness and oiliness. I've been using organic, unrefined, pure shea butter for a week, and the results are amazing. The 3 cystics I had are healing faster than ever, and I'm getting like 1/10th of new pimpkes compared to usual. My tones more even and I swear my wrinkles already look a tad better. When I use it on my body, I'm silky smooth. So not only does it not break me out, it doesn't make my skin greasy and it's actually helping my acne. I know there are mixed reviews bit that's like everything out there. I'm glad I tried it for sure.

• for about a week
  • $ 13

By on

I use unrefined shea butter imported from Africa. That is the only shea butter anyone should use, and it is 100% non comedogenic. If you put it on lightly it won't leave a greasy look, and when you want a deeper moisturization you can just put some more on. It's soothing and cheap and the only moisturizer besides Dan's that I love.

Pros

• Moisturizing, decreases redness of pimples, long lasting, doesn't break me out at all.

Cons

• I don't have the patience to let it melt in my finger tips fully. Yes, real shea butter is in solid form (clay like texture) at room temperature. It starts to melt when it hits heat (your fingers)
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 6

By on

I am looking to make a switch to organic products and purchased Maiga Facial Cleanser and Maiga Handmade Shea Butter (with aloe vera) upon recommendation of the salesman. The cleanser has been giving my face a burning sensation and the butter has a bubblegum smell that u only realise when you start using it. I am not pleased at all :(

Pros

• Seems all natural in its description

Cons

• If its making my 'normal`(since I have no acne) skin burn, wonder what it would do to those with acne! Pls be SURE before buying this product.
  • very light
  • for a day or two
  • $ 22
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• Great moisturizer for the body, especially the feet
  • Great as an eye cream
  • Firms up and hydrates the skin
  • Glowy healthy looking skin
  • You could eat it if you really wanted too
  • No parabens

Cons

• Clogged pores immediately after use
  • light
  • $ 6
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Shea World has raw USDA certified organic Shea butter in a variety blends with organic essential oils. Check out [link removed] use a Shea butter that has not been refined with chemicals.

Pros

• Organic Shea butter is a particularly effective moisturizer because contains so many fatty acids, which are needed to retain skin moisture and elasticity.

Cons

• Finding USDA certified organic Shea butter.
  • light
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I purchased Maiga Facial Cleanser and Maiga Handmade Shea Butter (with aloe vera) to help with my acne. Used them both at night for 5 weeks and I continued to develop new large breakouts.

I called the company and they were not pleasant to speak with. After some hassle, I was able to get my money back, and apparently the sales rep sold me the wrong type of shea butter.

• moderately severe
  • $ 22

By on

This is a wreck waiting to happen for my oily, extremely break-out prone skin. Unless you're on tane, have dry skin, or are just using this for your body or hair, I'd steer clear of this.

Pros

• natural, pretty cheap, very moisturizing

Cons

• break out city
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I purchased an 8 oz. tub at a local beauty suppy store for less than $5! You have to make sure it's 100% pure unrefined shea butter, especially if you want to use it on your face or on sensitive skin. Also, if you have a nut allergy it may irritate your skin as well. I have been using this product along with REAL african black soap, and let me tell you,I LOVE THIS STUFF! After only 3 days, my dark spots and acne have almost disappeared! The dark circles around my eyes have faded as well. I am eight months pregnant with my 4th child, so you can imagine the stretch marks I've accumulated...however, the shea butter is smoothing and fading them! Cocoa butter didnt do a thing! I use it as a night cream and an all over moisturizer and my skin is so soft and glowing. My boyfriend can't (and won't) keep his hands off of me! :-) It's great for massages (wink) lol

Pros

• Great for rough heels/elbows
  • Helps clear acne
  • Helps clear dark spots
  • Smoothes and fades stretch marks
  • Excellent as a lip balm
  • Removes dark circles around eyes

Cons

• None
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 4.49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.