Page 3 of Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 37 reviews

It works
Reviewed on November 24, 2013

I have never posted on a forum like before but I had such a good experience with saw palmetto that I wanted to share it with other acne sufferers. I've had acne since being a teen and it's continued into my 30's. After coming off the pill (Dianette) I had very oily skin and lots of spots. I'm talking about huge, lumpy cysts with throbbing whiteheads. I decided to try saw palmetto (GNC standardised version) and I've been surprised and delighted with the results. My skin is so much less oily in the past 2 weeks that I've been taking the tablets and I've had almost no new spots. It's a huge relief! If you have hormone-related acne, I definitey recommend giving this a try. But look for a good brand with at least 85% active ingredient.

by smoze on 11/28/2013 06:19
How much did it cost and how much do you take...
amazed
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

So after researching forever on the internet aboutthis supplement, skeptical because it is used for prostate cancer, out of desperation due to all the cystic hormonal acne I had on my chin, I decided to give it a try. I have been using the standardized kind for under a week now, 1 pill at breakfast and one before bed, and almost all my acne is clear. I am actually so amazed my skin feels as soft as a babies bum, and I havent had skin this clear since....before I started puberty. I am 22 years old now. Even people are complimenting me on how nice my skin looks. The only side effects I had on this though are the feeling of extreme hunger even though I eat with the pill. Also slight constipation. I am going to take this for maybe another week, then ween myself off of it. I dont like that there is little research on it so you never know if there might be long term effects. I am really hoping my acne doesnt come back after I do so. But if you are frustrated with your skin and youre a female, I highly reccommend trying this.

by smoze on 11/28/2013 06:19
where did you buy it from and how much mg/day do you take...brand?
Very confused
Reviewed on September 29, 2013

After reading how many women with cystic acne from pcos have had success with Saw Palmetto, I read up on the supplement. It supposedly acts as an anti-androgen.

However, the information I read

indicated it lowers estrogen. If it does in fact lower estrogen, wouldn't androgens then register higher, and acne would still exist or worsen for women taking it?

by Finleyj123 on 08/07/2015 21:10
Asking a question and giving it 1 star is not a review! Add a comment as I am doing now if you have an actual question!!!
Stay Away
Reviewed on December 13, 2011

This is an update to a review I posted over a year ago about saw palmetto:

Saw palmetto is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Some people experience brain fog and sexual dysfunction from inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT. I've read that the mechanism of saw palmetto - even though it's natural - is similar to finasteride, a drug that has proven seriously dangerous for some men. Although I am a woman, I want to let everyone know that while saw palmetto may not bring you harm, taking it for a month has become the single biggest regret of my life. I realize how dramatic that sounds. But the brain fog I developed with it has never fully subsided, and my libido is low and nowhere NEAR what it used to be. Slow cognition and slow sex drive? Not worth it. Please think long and hard before deciding to try this. I'd give anything to go back and un-take it. Best of luck to all of you!

Reviewed on May 6, 2013

I'm a women and I have had Acne every since I was a teenager. It was really bad when I was in High School and off and on my adult life (I'm 31). I tried store brand acne products, and I tried a few natural things but never saw results. The only time my acne seemed to get better was in the summer. So I recently researched what the cause of acne was and I read: "Experts believe the primary cause is a rise in androgen levels - androgen is a type of hormone. Androgen levels rise when a human becomes an adolescent. Rising androgen levels make the oil glands under your skin grow; the enlarged gland produces more oil. Excessive sebum can break down cellular walls in your pores, causing bacteria to grow." And that lead me to research natural antiandrogens. And I came across Saw Palmetto. I got some right away at Walmart and started taking 160mg Standardized Saw Palmetto twice daily. At first I noticed a mild headache but that went away. In about one week I noticed my skin was not as oily and I wasn't getting any new acne and my old zits were healing. I doubled the dose to 320mg twice daily for two days and my skin got super dry, so I went back to the 160mg. It has been two weeks and 5days and I have not one zit! I still have my scarring, but I can deal with that. But I am so happy to have found the cure to my acne. I have had little zits break out during this but they have healed overnight. Its really such a blessing!

Reviewed on December 5, 2012

used this as prescribed for over two months and saw little change in my skin. Didn't have any changes in my breasts or libido either, though I did have frequent mild headaches. Switched to "Perfect Skin" by Genuine Health and saw IMMEDIATE results, and also using Neostrata as I am severely allergic to BP. Perfect skin and Neostrata have worked wonders on my adult acne.

Reviewed on November 13, 2012

Been taking saw palmetto for about a week now. I have been taking 3 a day to equal 1800mg I may cut to taking 2 pills as it seems everyone takes lower. My acne has completely stopped. Last week was terrible with inflamed red spots and new cystic acne everyday, now it is completely smooth and not red at all. It's actually unbelievable. I do take speariment tea everyday as well as this is an anti androgen. But I can tell the saw palmetto is really working.

Reviewed on October 18, 2012

Saw palmetto prevents testosterone from being converted to DHT. Men will take SP to prevent male pattern baldness and prostate problems. It is not fully researched by the science community, but SP may also help with the hormonal imbalances that cause acne.

I have taken this for 1 month, 320mg per day. My skin has not cleared at all. I am going to start taking this with Vitex to see if the combination of the two helps me more. I suppose SP could work well for you if it helps correct the hormonal imbalance that you have, but do your research. I bought 60 tablets from whole foods for about $3.99 so it is cheap and worth a try, at least. Give it at least a month or so.

Reviewed on October 12, 2012

Saw palmetto has literally changed my skin. I've had cystic acne for YEARS and couldnt take Accutane or B.C due to side effects. Read about this drug and started taking it very day. Within one week, old acne was clearing up and new spots were barely forming. By week two My acne actually looks clear. I have never seen anything like it. I started off on a relitively high dose (600mg) and am weaning down (to 320.)

Reviewed on September 25, 2012

I struggled with this prescription, because I believed in the theory behind Saw Palmetto preventing hormonal acne; however, it took a very long time to see results (approximately three months). After month one and mediocre results, I doubled my dosage to 640 mg/day. I purchase Nature's Bounty Extra Strength capsules, because it also contains Zinc. I have not had a single cyst for over one month now. I am amazed that my face is completely turning around from a single supplement. Guys, if you have done your research, and you are sure that your acne is indeed hormonal, this is totally worth it. But, be patient!