Page 2 of Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 37 reviews

Really stuck on which brand Saw Palmetto to try
Reviewed on February 11, 2015

Hello guys,

Ok I'm totally confused - literally feel like tearing my hair out (sorry for sounding really dramatic). I've been reading up on Saw Palmetto and PCOS acne. How there's a possibility that it can help to treat acne! I've been on antibitics for a good 4 years and now my next step is accutane! Honestly don't want to go down that route ;(.

I was thinking of trying SP and after doing lots of research I found that GNC standardised SP 160mg twice a day seemed to work a lot for most people (so that's a total of 320mg per day). The problem is that in the UK GNC only stock 320mg! So now I'm thinking shall I take 320mg twice a day (so that's 640mg a day) or just take one 320mg a day? Will this decrease the affect. Ekkkk. Just don't know what to do.

Please can someone advice me xx

by emme*li on 02/22/2015 16:19
I think it might be hard on your system to start taking 640mg of standardized saw palmetto without gradually working up to that amount and seeing how your body responds. Sometimes, less is more. I started with 160mg once per day, then twice per day. Finally, 320mg standardized SP in a liquid capsule once per night which has worked very well for me. Have you tried finding standardized SP 160mg on Amazon?
by Nadia2015 on 03/04/2015 08:52
Hi Emme, thank you so much for getting back to me! It's very much appreciated :) That makes sense about what you said about getting your body to get use to SP gradually. I have seen a few standardised 160mg SP on Amazon but unsure on which brand is good?! It seems that certain brands are ineffective compared to other brands. GNC seems very popular but unfortunately in the UK they only stock 360mg SP standardised. What brand do you use if you don't mind me asking? Thanks xx
Helps acne, caused other issues
Reviewed on February 1, 2015

I had the same exact problems on saw palmetto as on spironolactone. Both cleared up my acne at exactly 8weeks. However I exams very dehydrated on both, both gave me sunken in eyes with very dark circles, both triggered overly dry skin and eczema, and also have me lots of burst blood vessels (but those healed fast luckily). I quit taking saw palmetto at the end of December and am becoming very oily now but I welcome it and just want my old acne back. wish I would never have taken spironolactone or saw palmetto. But especially saw palmetto because my skin had recovered from Spiro and the I decided to try saw palmetto once all the acne came back.

by emiemi on 03/08/2015 10:51
spiro is a diuretic! if you do not increase your intake of water yes you will def get dehydrated. "water pill" means its makes you pee more, so if you pee more without getting adequate water intake? dehydration .
Saw results in a few weeks
Reviewed on November 4, 2014

I had a really bad breakout that wouldn't go away for months after I stupidly tried the oil cleansing method. I went to an esthetician who specializes in getting rid of acne. My skin started getting better with the chemical peels she would give me twice a month and using benzoyl peroxide and mandelic acid at home, but I was still not completely clear on my cheeks. She then told me about how saw palmetto can be very effective against acne because it is a DHT inhibitor. I was curious and I did some research on it, and this has been confirmed by several independent studies over the past few decades. I'm still not exactly sure how this happens, but testosterone can be converted to DHT and this can lead to hair loss and acne. Since both of those run in my family, I am taking this for the rest of my life! I take about 900 mg/day. It's been about three weeks and I am completely clear. I just have red marks on my cheeks now.

by Gfarrick on 12/30/2014 15:18
Does anyone know if I can get regular saw palmetto or does it need to be the extract? I need help and I want to do this right!
by Gfarrick on 12/30/2014 17:13
Good stuff
Reviewed on October 18, 2014

I am a 51 yr old female and have suffered acne since I was 12. It has waxed and waned over the yrs but is now waxing with the onset of menopause. 2 yrs ago I started taking sp along with DIM, and my acne cleared and everything was great. Then this past summer I stopped taking everything and I am experiencing one of the worst breakouts ever. Very resistant to treatment. I think I am going to up my dosage fr 160 to 480 and see if that helps. Also it's necessary to watch your sugar and dairy intake, and get some excercise and keep your stress levels in check.

Great for controlling breakouts when quitting smoking
Reviewed on June 9, 2014

Great to use while giving up smoking to regulate the de-tox effects on the skin. I used this along side agnus castus for a couple of months and it really helped clam down my breakouts.

Excellent for those with PCOS
Reviewed on April 20, 2014

At 25, I have tried everything to clear my acne, which has predominantly been on my chin/jawline. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 11 after irregular periods, weight gain, and bad acne, which was also confirmed by blood tests. I've seen an endocrinologist for years and have been on birth control since my diagnosis (I was on Dianette and then switched to Marvalon 28 when the studies on Dianne came out). Over the past two years, I have been using a variation of Dan's regimen (cleanser, bp, and moisturizer- Cetaphil and Persagel 5). However, although following this same routine, this year my acne has been constant- always 4-5 + pimples, mostly cystic on my chin and jawline. I started researching natural remedies and revisited Acne.org. I read some interesting posts on Saw Palmetto. I know that my acne is hormonal because of the PCOS and remembered that my testosterone was always high while I was off the bcp because my endocrinologist mentioned it during a few visits. I started taking Saw P. once a day on March 23rd (160 mg standardized 85-95% Webber Naturals brand from Walmart). The first time I took it I had a bad headache, so I now take it with food. Within a week, I noticed that I had no new deep pimples, only surface whiteheads, and that my old pimples were drying up. I also noticed that my skin was less oily. After a few wks, I doubled my dosage to two pills a day (320 mg total) because I had a breakout while off bcp during my period. **Note: saw. p is said to reduce the effectiveness of birth control, so if you are sexually active right now, you should use another form of protection**. Now, it is April 20th and my skin is entirely clear. I know it's only been a month, but I plant on continuing with Saw P and I hope that I've beat this acne for good! Definitely give this a try.

Excellent for adult male acne/ oily skin
Reviewed on April 19, 2014

I am an adult male in mid 30s. I have suffered from acne for 25 years and tried everything from laser, antibiotics, retinoids, topicals, red/ blue light, tanning etc.

I have been on 5 courses of roaccutane/ isotretinoin and while this works for adult acne even at low doses (10-15mg /day) oily skin returns for me if I stop using it and the forehead spots and folliculitis follow inevitably.

Saw palmetto has been discussed at length on acne forums as an anti-androgen and supposedly has the ability to reduce testosterone production. This in turn reduces oil and the spots that follow.

I have been using this for approx 11 weeks having come off another medium term low dose course of roaccutane. The oil came back quickly so I tried saw palmetto as a herbal/ supposedly safe alternative to isotretinoin without the side effects.

I am taking 320mg per day x 2 capsules with food. After approx 10 days use the oil production was normalised and no new spots formed.

I purchased the saw palmetto from Healthspan.

I plan to stick with this as a daily routine long term as it is the only solution I have found other than roaccutane and that drug has potentially serious side effects.

For women, spironolactone would achieve a similar result and seems to work but it is not recommended for men.

I do not know what the long term side effects of saw palmetto use are but studies seem to be favourable.

I am writing this to offer help to other male adults with very oily skin / forehead acne who are at a loss with standard therapies. It really is working for me and I had given up hope prior.

It's alright.
Reviewed on February 1, 2014

I started taking this after having an awful breakout after stopping the birth control pill. It's been almost a year that I have been taking saw palmetto and although my face isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, it's still not as great as it was when I was on the pill. Overall, it was ok, but I'm probably going to go back on the birth control pill. It didn't do much for my breast tissue, either. All in all, I had high hopes but I probably wasn't being as realistic as I should have been.

by kc068930 on 12/13/2014 16:21
I would suggest Maca Root. Do some research on it but I had the same problem, and after two-three months of taking it, my acne on the jaw and chin COMPLETELY cleared up. I just wish I knew about it earlier so I didn't have scars.
Definitely worth trying.
Reviewed on January 3, 2014

After completing a regime of isotretinoin, I was assaulted by a sudden outbreak of acne on my face, back, and neck. I became a nervous wreck because I knew a second course was out of the question. After hours of online research, I stumbled upon a forum member mentioning saw palmetto and how it affected hormonal reactions. I was convinced that my acne was hormonal, so I did even more research, mostly focusing on this supplement. To my surprise, it seemed like this extract's effects on testosterone made perfect sense. Enzymes synthesize DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) in the hair follicles, and this is known to increase the activity of the sebaceous glands. If your face is oily and you have a lot of facial hair, your body may be producing too much of this sex hormone. That was the case with me. After a week of supplementing with saw palmetto extract (standardized - 85% fatty acids), I received amazing results. Over the past few months, I have gotten only two small pustules. I still take this supplement and will probably continue to do so for a few more years.

Saw Palmetto Walmart brand
Reviewed on November 28, 2013

I use the 900mg. It's hit or miss with this brand though. Sometimes I feel it works and sometimes not. I noticed taking more than 900mg/day didn't work but just one to two a day did. I have severe acne. the huge big cysts. This prevented them, but the best prevention was staying away from processed foods, sugar, milk, and caffeine...and eating apples with more water.