Page 2 of Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 25 reviews

Very confused
Reviewed on September 29, 2013

After reading how many women with cystic acne from pcos have had success with Saw Palmetto, I read up on the supplement. It supposedly acts as an anti-androgen.

However, the information I read

indicated it lowers estrogen. If it does in fact lower estrogen, wouldn't androgens then register higher, and acne would still exist or worsen for women taking it?

Stay Away
Reviewed on December 13, 2011

This is an update to a review I posted over a year ago about saw palmetto:

Saw palmetto is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Some people experience brain fog and sexual dysfunction from inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT. I've read that the mechanism of saw palmetto - even though it's natural - is similar to finasteride, a drug that has proven seriously dangerous for some men. Although I am a woman, I want to let everyone know that while saw palmetto may not bring you harm, taking it for a month has become the single biggest regret of my life. I realize how dramatic that sounds. But the brain fog I developed with it has never fully subsided, and my libido is low and nowhere NEAR what it used to be. Slow cognition and slow sex drive? Not worth it. Please think long and hard before deciding to try this. I'd give anything to go back and un-take it. Best of luck to all of you!

Reviewed on May 6, 2013

I'm a women and I have had Acne every since I was a teenager. It was really bad when I was in High School and off and on my adult life (I'm 31). I tried store brand acne products, and I tried a few natural things but never saw results. The only time my acne seemed to get better was in the summer. So I recently researched what the cause of acne was and I read: "Experts believe the primary cause is a rise in androgen levels - androgen is a type of hormone. Androgen levels rise when a human becomes an adolescent. Rising androgen levels make the oil glands under your skin grow; the enlarged gland produces more oil. Excessive sebum can break down cellular walls in your pores, causing bacteria to grow." And that lead me to research natural antiandrogens. And I came across Saw Palmetto. I got some right away at Walmart and started taking 160mg Standardized Saw Palmetto twice daily. At first I noticed a mild headache but that went away. In about one week I noticed my skin was not as oily and I wasn't getting any new acne and my old zits were healing. I doubled the dose to 320mg twice daily for two days and my skin got super dry, so I went back to the 160mg. It has been two weeks and 5days and I have not one zit! I still have my scarring, but I can deal with that. But I am so happy to have found the cure to my acne. I have had little zits break out during this but they have healed overnight. Its really such a blessing!

Reviewed on December 5, 2012

used this as prescribed for over two months and saw little change in my skin. Didn't have any changes in my breasts or libido either, though I did have frequent mild headaches. Switched to "Perfect Skin" by Genuine Health and saw IMMEDIATE results, and also using Neostrata as I am severely allergic to BP. Perfect skin and Neostrata have worked wonders on my adult acne.

Reviewed on November 13, 2012

Been taking saw palmetto for about a week now. I have been taking 3 a day to equal 1800mg I may cut to taking 2 pills as it seems everyone takes lower. My acne has completely stopped. Last week was terrible with inflamed red spots and new cystic acne everyday, now it is completely smooth and not red at all. It's actually unbelievable. I do take speariment tea everyday as well as this is an anti androgen. But I can tell the saw palmetto is really working.

Reviewed on October 18, 2012

Saw palmetto prevents testosterone from being converted to DHT. Men will take SP to prevent male pattern baldness and prostate problems. It is not fully researched by the science community, but SP may also help with the hormonal imbalances that cause acne.

I have taken this for 1 month, 320mg per day. My skin has not cleared at all. I am going to start taking this with Vitex to see if the combination of the two helps me more. I suppose SP could work well for you if it helps correct the hormonal imbalance that you have, but do your research. I bought 60 tablets from whole foods for about $3.99 so it is cheap and worth a try, at least. Give it at least a month or so.

Reviewed on October 12, 2012

Saw palmetto has literally changed my skin. I've had cystic acne for YEARS and couldnt take Accutane or B.C due to side effects. Read about this drug and started taking it very day. Within one week, old acne was clearing up and new spots were barely forming. By week two My acne actually looks clear. I have never seen anything like it. I started off on a relitively high dose (600mg) and am weaning down (to 320.)

Reviewed on September 25, 2012

I struggled with this prescription, because I believed in the theory behind Saw Palmetto preventing hormonal acne; however, it took a very long time to see results (approximately three months). After month one and mediocre results, I doubled my dosage to 640 mg/day. I purchase Nature's Bounty Extra Strength capsules, because it also contains Zinc. I have not had a single cyst for over one month now. I am amazed that my face is completely turning around from a single supplement. Guys, if you have done your research, and you are sure that your acne is indeed hormonal, this is totally worth it. But, be patient!

Reviewed on August 10, 2012

I was taking this as a natural alternative to spiro. I thought for sure this would be my miracle. I took it for a little over a week. The first couple days, nothing happened. About the 3rd or 4th day, I broke out like I never have before! My face is so covered in bumps...my chest and back look the worst they ever have. If this is the initial breakout....it's not worth it. I can't even look in the mirror...

Reviewed on July 30, 2012

If you think your oily skin is related to hormones, it is worth a try. Really, the effect on my skin has been amazing and I have been taking it only a week. (And believe me, I am a skeptic when it comes to natural remedies).

FYI, I am using Nature's Bounty Saw Palmetto, Natural Whole Herb, 450 mg, I take one three times a day (with food).

I am also taking Nature's Bounty Milk Thistle, Standardized extract, 175 mg, 1 pill three times daily with food.

I have tried everything and nothing has worked. I also had pretty bad seborrheic dermatitis because of my oily skin and this is helping tremendously.