- Starting too fast and quitting too early: Post after post on the forums and in my email inbox show people complaining that their skin is too dry, too red and too flaky as they start the Regimen. This uncomfortable reaction is sometimes unavoidable. However, this redness and dryness should subside after a few weeks. Start slowly, as shown here and you can limit these side effects. Even when starting slowly, you may still experience discomfort for the first few weeks. This is not a reason to quit. If you see severe crusting or swelling you may be allergic and you should stop, but initial redness, dryness and blotchiness are to be expected.
- Not using enough benzoyl peroxide: While it is vital that you start with a small amount of benzoyl peroxide, after a period of a few weeks, it is equally important that you ramp up to the full dosage. When in doubt, use more BP at this point. This is absolutely critical to the success of the Regimen.
- Not being gentle enough: When you apply the BP it should take several minutes. This requires patience. Make sure to go slowly and let the BP glide over your skin. Try to be patient and let it absorb on its own without forcing it.
- Not using the right products for the job: The Regimen does not work with 10% BP, moisturizers or sunscreens that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.
- Adding in other products or steps: It is important that you wait until you are completely clear before adding in other products or steps to the Regimen. After you are completely clear, it is safe to add in one variable at a time and see how your skin will react.
- Removing Regimen steps: The Regimen works as outlined, so it is important that you not skip any of the steps. Cleanse, apply BP and moisturize twice daily, every day.
The main point I am trying to get across is that the Regimen will work best when followed closely. I have personally coached a lot of people through the Regimen and have noticed that when followed precisely, the Regimen works for just about everybody. But even when people think they are following the Regimen, they often are not. It is worth your while to print out the Regimen checklist and take it into the bathroom with you. It is also a good idea to watch the videos several times before embarking on the Regimen. This will save you a lot of time down the road. Although the temptation to develop your own regimen from the get go is strong, try to trust the Regimen until you are completely clear. Then you can change one variable at a time to your own specifications and see what happens.