Page 5 of Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash reviews

4.4/5 - 216 reviews

Brand: Purpose

Water, PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG 150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium 15, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, 6-Ounce Pump Bottle
updated: 10/22/2014 22:11 UTC

Reviewed on November 3, 2011

I use this in conjunction with the regimen's 2.5% bp treatment and a fancy pants antioxidant-filled moisturizer. This lineup has worked quite well for me. Before I started the regimen a few months ago, I went from having red, inflamed under-the-skin pimples all over my chin + inflammatory blockages and whiteheads on my cheeks to clear, balanced skin with only ~2 pimples right before my monthly lady fun times. It probably wouldn't clear acne on its own, but if you're using a gentle bp treatment and a good moisturizer, hopefully it will work as well for you as it has for me.

caveat 1: I do find that it dries out my dryness-prone areas a little after I take a really hot shower (not my fault - my shower alternates between glacial runoff and scalding hell water). not so much in the morning when I use the sink.

caveat 2: I do find its nice to OCCASIONALLY use a gentle exfoliating wash (e.g. salicylic acid wash) in place of this, since this is so gentle it doesn't always get rid of that dead skin buildup that can happen near a healing pimple (I know you know exactly what I'm talking about). bp can make your skin flake, and yes, exfoliants can be irritating, but used sparingly I think it's nice to get rid of that dead skin buildup. Helps the bp and moisturizer absorb better and makes the skin tone more even. For me at least. Just sayin.

Reviewed on October 4, 2011

If you are deciding between this and cetaphil gentle cleanser, use this. Your oily skin will be much better managed with a foaming cleanser. I've been using cetaphil for 6 months and I wish i started using this sooner. My skin is much clearer while using the foaming cleansers. They just cleanse better. Cetaphil sometimes stings my skin and this does not. Purpose is the best.

Reviewed on September 25, 2011

It works so good for a great price and it does what I need easy cleansing in the morning and at night I love it!!!

Reviewed on September 5, 2011

i started using this product this month and i love it!! i use it every morning and night followed by my on the spot acne treatment and my skin is the best its ever been! i odnt have acne but do get one or two breakouts espcially right before my period. i love this product and will continue to use it!

Reviewed on August 18, 2011

I have been searching for a GENTLE cleanser that cleanses skin very well. Most gentle cleansers didn't clean my skin enough. I have super sensitive skin to top it off. I saw a review for this cleanser on youtube--I'm glad I took a chance with this product. It's so gentle, lathers nicely, leaves my skin feeling clean and so soft. And my skin wasn't irritated at all! If all you need is a cleanser, I say get this!

Reviewed on August 4, 2011

I only tried this cleanser while I was on Accutane. I didn't have super dry skin except around my nose, but this seemed to just dry me out too much. If you have normal or oily skin, it would probably be great. It is very gentle, has a clean smell, and my skin feels clean afterwards, just dry.

Reviewed on August 2, 2011

I LOVE this soap!!! I've been using it for a couple years, and it is one of the few face soaps that made me feel clean/didn't clog my pores (causing me to break-out).

This soap does NOT help to clear acne. It's just a gentle soap.

But it's AMAZING!

Reviewed on July 22, 2011

NEVER ON THE PRODUCT DOES IT SAY IT WILL TREAT, PREVENT, OR HEAL ACNE. It just says it will gently cleanse the skin.

That being said it is a very good cleanser. It cleans of makup and dirt, and prepares me for my 10% benzoyl peroxide acne spot treatment. After a month or so of using this, my acne spot treatment and moisterizer twice a day, my acne has gone from moderately severe to very light!! LOVE IT!

Reviewed on July 8, 2011

I took a trip to the store after a day of researching on this site... I went to Trader Joes & bought Jojoba Oil ($4.99), & ACV ($4.99) then Walgreens for the Purpose ($7.99)

I started using Cetaphil and had so far gotten the best results with it.. until I decidied to give this one a shot.

It's gentle, lathers up nicely, and it doesnt burn or irritate my skin at all. I feel refreshed and clean. I use it morning & night. I follow it with a toner consisting of 1 Part ACV/1 Part Witch Hazel/3 Parts water, and top it off with Jojoba oil (alone in the PM).

I was so surprised to find that mixing a few drops of Jojoba oil in with my Olay Regenerist Serum makes a perfect mixture! I apply this before my foundation in the AM. I hardly do any touch ups or blotting all day, and I have a healthy glow again.

Reviewed on June 29, 2011

This product is okay as a supplement, but I don't think it's necessary to fight acne (I think water is sufficient in some cases).