Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash reviews

4.4/5 - 217 reviews

Brand: Purpose

Water, PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG 150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium 15, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, 6-Ounce Pump Bottle
updated: 10/30/2014 14:12 UTC

HARSH!
Reviewed on October 28, 2014

Everyone's skin is different but this dried the heck out of my skin and I believe led to some breakouts because of what poor condition my skin was left in.

I get this when I forget to reorder the Acne.org face wash
Reviewed on September 8, 2014

This is just a basic wash for sensitive skin. No sent, color, fancy stuff, Its not expensive, and its easy to find. It foams up nice. However, i gave it four stars because its not great at removing makeup. You will have to lather up twice if you have anything like makeup on.

Skin didn't like it
Reviewed on July 31, 2014

I gave this product a try because of how high it was rated, but it just wasn't for me. I got a huge breakout and it produced more sebum plugs for me.

by Prismissy64 on 08/19/2014 20:30
Just curious, are you using it as part of The Regimen?
Changed the formula?
Reviewed on July 20, 2014

I've used this product since 2006 and its worked just fine for cleaning my face and I've never had any problems with it. Until this year, it started causing red blotchy spots on my face. My forehead would breakout into rash like bumps and it would itch pretty badly. I never thought it would be the face wash as I've used it for years. Once I eliminated this from my regimen my face cleared up and the rash/redness went away. I'm not sure if my skin changed, the formula changed or the combination of this and BP is linked to the symptoms? - which is always possible. I've noticed others stating breakouts, rashes and redness from this as well in their reviews, so its just not me.

made me break out
Reviewed on July 7, 2014

I used this product when I was younger to help with minor breakouts and help treat my oily/combination skin and it worked great. I still break out, and I decided to switch cleansers. It no longer worked to treat my break outs, but rather made my forehead breakout in tiny white-head like zits. I won't buy again!

NOT FOR ME.. :(
Reviewed on July 3, 2014

Knowing this product is on Acne.org + after seeing the amount of stars this product has i was expecting my acne to clear off at least just a little with this.. I've used this for over a month. Every day.. Morning & Night. I honestly had high hopes when i first got this but it ended up disappointing me. I've been suffering from severe acne for over 3 years now.. And i'm tired of it. I've used tons of acne treatments but none have worked for me.. Purpose Gentle Cleaning Wash is certainly not helping either. So if anybody recommends another acne treatment then i would highly appreciated if you tell me by commenting on this review. Thanks.

mixed feelings
Reviewed on January 18, 2014

i washed my face with this for almost a week, and got a patch of blackheads and a few more zits, hmm? Alot of people on makeupalley have noticed a patches of dry skin or bumps that pop up. maybe didnt clean throughly or maybe it was just random acne or weather change. WHO KNOWS. However I do wash every area of my face with cerave and used purpose for only the "pore strip" sized area of my face near my eyes/upper cheeks and my skin in the pore strip area has been so clear and supple, ONLY in that area though. Im afraid ill break out if I use it all over since coincidentally my skin had a few more dots then usual when I used it for a week and my sister broke out in cyst, This makes me way too scared to try it out on my whole face, but for my nose/blackhead area it really works to keep it smooth and bright, I wish it'd work like that everywhere else hmm.... I want to give it a try but I dont think so. the rest of my cheeks have been breaking out and I wonder if its because this facewash runs into the rest of my cheeks as I rinse/wash. I DONT GET IT. If you dont like it for your face,it can be used for makeup brushes or body wash, its almost baby wash. I give it a 3 because it has potential and it does keep my nose under eye cheek area clear! if only i wasnt so scared!

Good cleanser, but a tad harsh on my combo skin.
Reviewed on October 13, 2013

I bought this on a whim while at Target. I had previously been using a salicylic acid-based scrub which did okay, but I knew it was too harsh. Initially this worked out well and I had bought it right on time because my dermatologist started me on Epiduo and Doryx. After a month, I found that it dries out my cheeks more than I expected a gentle cleanser to, but it's probably just how my skin is. I'll be finishing this bottle, but I won't be coming back.

good cleanser
Reviewed on September 29, 2013

This wash is gentle like the bottle says. It foams up well, and doesn't dry out the skin but will take off some oil and just the faintest tight feeling, but really depends on how oily your skin is. This is the cleanser i keep buying over and over, and going back to. I've read some where that the ph is 6 or 7 so its almost ph correct for the skin but will remove some oil, not all. with a moisturizer it is perfect. Works as wash for chest shoulders back as well.

No drying, no harshness
Reviewed on September 29, 2013

I have used MANY cleansers for my very very oil skin that dries out at the touch of water alone. This cleanser is by far the best cleanser for my face type and for my acne skin. I've had not one adverse affect from this product. It is fantastic!