Page 2 of Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar reviews

4.4/5 - 82 reviews

Brand: Purpose

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Trisodium HEDTA, D&C Yellow 10 (CI 74005), D&C Orange 4.

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, 6-Ounce Bars (Pack of 6)
updated: 10/24/2014 10:07 UTC
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar 6 oz (170 g)
updated: 10/24/2014 10:07 UTC

Reviewed on July 22, 2012

I battled with severe acne since the beginning of middle school and I still occassionally use Purpose when I have a random breakout and I'm now a junior in college. Acne runs in my family and my mom paid a dermatologist hundreds of dollars for him to recommend Purpose. By the time my parents took me to the doctor I was so discouraged that my acne would ago away because I already had scars at such a young age. When I was first told to use Purpose I thought there was no way it would work because I had tried every other OTC product including things like Oxipads and Proactive. However, the first time I used Purpose I immediately felt a difference in my skin. My skin was so oily and nasty feeling but after I used the bar it felt drier and cleaner. I even liked the clean smell scent it left because a lot of acne medicines leave a nasty smell after you use it. I always recommend Purpose to younger people that come to me with acne problems because I don't want them having scars like I do. I have even recommended it to girls I see in the acne aisle that have the same "I give up face" I once had. You also can't beat the price. $3.99 at walmart or target is a lot better than paying hundreds of dollars for Acuteen. I have noticed that over the years the shape of the bar has changed but to me the formula remains the same. The bar is yellowish in color but doesn't leave any residue. You can use it on your whole body and foams nicely like a normal soap.

Reviewed on May 6, 2012

I have had many problems since about the age of 11 with random pimples and cystic zits, many blackheads and very oily skin with huge pores. I absolutely love the Acne.org regimen with a few adjustments that have worked better for my skin. I now have skin at age 42 that I am finally happy with! Finally! Purpose soap for me has been the better cleanser than Dan's cleanser because I love the slight drying effect of this soap for my very oily skin. It has also helped with my blackhead problem. My routine morning/evening is almost an identical routine as anonymous_male on the next page. The only difference is that as a female I don't have to shave my face in the evening and in the morning I use an spf 15. So here's my cleansing routine:

Morning

Wet face, lather Purpose soap in my hands, gently wash face for 10 seconds and rinse.

Wait about 5 minutes and the apply Murad oil control mattifier spf 15.

Evening

Wet face in the shower, work up a good lather in my hands with Purpose soap, wash face for 10 seconds and rinse gently with a wet washcloth.

Wait 15 minutes, use 1 pump of Acne.org 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and apply very gently.

Wait 30 minutes and the apply about a pearl size amount of Acne.org AHA over my entire face.

This has been the BEST solution to my skin problems that I have ever used! I just can't believe how clear and even my skin is now. To think of all the harsh products and harsh scrubbing that I used to do that only made my skin problems so much worse. Being gentle is the key. This really is the best that I ever remember my skin looking. Thank you SOOOO MUCH DAN!!! You have surely changed many, many lives by sharing what has worked for your acne problems. And a big THANK YOU for creating a superior benzoyl peroxide and AHA without the irritating and pore clogging ingredients.

Reviewed on February 21, 2012

My acne improved greatly when I first started the regimen, but wasn't where I wanted it to be; then I read a review on here recommending this soap.

Well now it's the only cleanser I use.

My skin is the clearest it has been in years.

Yea it's a little drying, most are; but I just adjust my lotion and it evens out. For clear skin it's worth it!

Reviewed on December 2, 2011

The latest bar I bought is not the usual yellow-clear. Now it is opaque and I believe they made other changes as well. I find the new formula to be more drying. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Reviewed on August 16, 2011

I've battled acne for about 7 years, and in that time have gone through pretty much every treatment imaginable including over-the-counter products, prescription ointments, washes, light treatments, Clarisonic brush (don't waste your money!), etc. I've taken different oral antibiotics and eventually did a round of Accutane - which cleared my skin for about 2 yrs.

When I started breaking out again, my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Spironolactone which I never took because the side-effects just sound scary and I'm tired of popping pills into my mouth and wondering what they're doing to my body in the long run.

I feel like I've hit the end of the road with dermatologists .. so I tried tackling it on my own by bombarding the blemishes with benzoyl peroxide. After reading these boards .. I bought Clean & Clear's Continuous Control cleanser and their PersaGel 10 spot treatment and used it for the past two months. I think the cleanser was too harsh/drying for me because the acne didn't improve at all...if anything, it got worse.

So, after doing more research .. I decided to try the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar (along with the PersaGel for active spots).

It's only been about 5 days, so I was reluctant to even post anything out of fear of jinxing myself .. but so far, my skin is already improving somewhat.

Maybe just this simple cleansing bar (in conjunction with a hard hitting spot treatment) is what I've needed all along .. I don't know. If that's true, it makes me want to scream over the amount of money we've spent on prescriptions and stuff.

Hoping and praying for continued clearing.

Reviewed on August 15, 2011

I've used it for about 5 yrs ever since i started using products for acne.

even though a lot of acne kits come with soap or cleansers, this one is the best.

use it and you won't regret it.

Reviewed on July 25, 2011

Too bad I've been spending so much money on products that don't work when I could have been using this all along. My skin has never felt cleaner. And the price is wonderful! I highly recommend giving Purpose a try.

Reviewed on July 21, 2011

best acne cleanser ive ever usedd! i was about to buy proactive when my mom recommmend purpose soap to me. Works great!!

Reviewed on May 22, 2011

I have been using this product since 1992. My dermatologist recommended this along with DML lotion twice a day, now Carols Daughter. My face has done great in transitioning to her face product, which my dermatologist approved of due to the ingredients in it. I am 51 years old and my skin is amazing, NO one ever guessed my age correctly......I am sure most of it is genetics. But the product has never dried my skin out as you know in Houston, the humidity is a "killer" but great for skin. I have never used any other product on my face and I never will. It's worth every penny and it lathers great. Why spend money on expensive cleansers when this is all you need. At least for me it is.

Reviewed on May 11, 2011

I ran out of dan's cleanser, so I thought I would give this product a try. Withing 3 days of use my skin was flaking off in large chunks, and even moisturizer would not hide the dryness. Under my jawbone on the neck was the worst, just raw epidermis lol. I don't know why this happened but the purpose bar did not play well with me, I am using Dr. Bronners soap now and it works well