Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar

Average price: $4.04

Brand: Purpose

Most helpful review

By Shannon, central Florida on 01/12/2013

I've never given a review on a product in my life. I'm 41. My son has fierce acne. I could go into all the the products that he has used, but I'm not here to cut down another acne system, gel, cream or antibiotic. I'm simply wanting to share that this Purpose bar has been the only product in five years that has helped. It is the only product that has brought hope. Not a cure, but hope. Thank you to Johnson and Johnson for making such a simple and amazing golden bar of soap. Wow!.

Pros:
  • It worked immediately at calming my 17 year old son's face down. My son said it made his face feel smooth. My son actually looked in the mirror for the first time in months because of this product. Such a cheap product ($2) considering we've spent $1000 on his face.
Cons:
  • I wish that the exact ingredients from the bar came in the liquid pump form. I know that would be impossible.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Trisodium HEDTA, D&C Yellow 10 (CI 74005), D&C Orange 4.

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, 6 oz
updated: 04/16/2014 01:16 UTC
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar, 6-Ounce Bars (Pack of 6)
updated: 04/16/2014 01:16 UTC
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar 6 oz (170 g)

Member reviews

By on

I have had many problems since about the age of 11 with random pimples and cystic zits, many blackheads and very oily skin with huge pores. I absolutely love the Acne.org regimen with a few adjustments that have worked better for my skin. I now have skin at age 42 that I am finally happy with! Finally! Purpose soap for me has been the better cleanser than Dan's cleanser because I love the slight drying effect of this soap for my very oily skin. It has also helped with my blackhead problem. My routine morning/evening is almost an identical routine as anonymous_male on the next page. The only difference is that as a female I don't have to shave my face in the evening and in the morning I use an spf 15. So here's my cleansing routine:

Morning

Wet face, lather Purpose soap in my hands, gently wash face for 10 seconds and rinse.

Wait about 5 minutes and the apply Murad oil control mattifier spf 15.

Evening

Wet face in the shower, work up a good lather in my hands with Purpose soap, wash face for 10 seconds and rinse gently with a wet washcloth.

Wait 15 minutes, use 1 pump of Acne.org 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and apply very gently.

Wait 30 minutes and the apply about a pearl size amount of Acne.org AHA over my entire face.

This has been the BEST solution to my skin problems that I have ever used! I just can't believe how clear and even my skin is now. To think of all the harsh products and harsh scrubbing that I used to do that only made my skin problems so much worse. Being gentle is the key. This really is the best that I ever remember my skin looking. Thank you SOOOO MUCH DAN!!! You have surely changed many, many lives by sharing what has worked for your acne problems. And a big THANK YOU for creating a superior benzoyl peroxide and AHA without the irritating and pore clogging ingredients.

Pros

• Don't have to buy online
  • Very gentle soap for oily skin
  • Cheap price
  • Lasts a long time

Cons

• Can be too drying when cleansing for more than 10 seconds.
  • moderate
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My acne improved greatly when I first started the regimen, but wasn't where I wanted it to be; then I read a review on here recommending this soap.

Well now it's the only cleanser I use.

My skin is the clearest it has been in years.

Yea it's a little drying, most are; but I just adjust my lotion and it evens out. For clear skin it's worth it!

Pros

• Helped Control Acne

Cons

• Can be drying
  • moderately severe
  • for about a year
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

The latest bar I bought is not the usual yellow-clear. Now it is opaque and I believe they made other changes as well. I find the new formula to be more drying. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Pros

• I was a fan for 26 years

Cons

• The last bar I bought is a new formula. Oh, no!
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 3
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've battled acne for about 7 years, and in that time have gone through pretty much every treatment imaginable including over-the-counter products, prescription ointments, washes, light treatments, Clarisonic brush (don't waste your money!), etc. I've taken different oral antibiotics and eventually did a round of Accutane - which cleared my skin for about 2 yrs.

When I started breaking out again, my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Spironolactone which I never took because the side-effects just sound scary and I'm tired of popping pills into my mouth and wondering what they're doing to my body in the long run.

I feel like I've hit the end of the road with dermatologists .. so I tried tackling it on my own by bombarding the blemishes with benzoyl peroxide. After reading these boards .. I bought Clean & Clear's Continuous Control cleanser and their PersaGel 10 spot treatment and used it for the past two months. I think the cleanser was too harsh/drying for me because the acne didn't improve at all...if anything, it got worse.

So, after doing more research .. I decided to try the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar (along with the PersaGel for active spots).

It's only been about 5 days, so I was reluctant to even post anything out of fear of jinxing myself .. but so far, my skin is already improving somewhat.

Maybe just this simple cleansing bar (in conjunction with a hard hitting spot treatment) is what I've needed all along .. I don't know. If that's true, it makes me want to scream over the amount of money we've spent on prescriptions and stuff.

Hoping and praying for continued clearing.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Available in drugstore
  • Working so far!

Cons

• None yet - - crossing fingers!
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 4.39
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've used it for about 5 yrs ever since i started using products for acne.

even though a lot of acne kits come with soap or cleansers, this one is the best.

use it and you won't regret it.

Pros

• gentle, feels very clean after using it, doesn't interrupt with any other skin care or acne medication, cheap, last for a long time, gentle smell.

Cons

• none!
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Too bad I've been spending so much money on products that don't work when I could have been using this all along. My skin has never felt cleaner. And the price is wonderful! I highly recommend giving Purpose a try.

Pros

• Skin feels very clean.
  • Removes makeup.
  • Nice scent.
  • Cheap!

Cons

• Bar can be messy, but I keep it in a travel case.
  • very light
  • for about a month
  • $ 3.4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

best acne cleanser ive ever usedd! i was about to buy proactive when my mom recommmend purpose soap to me. Works great!!

Pros

• Leaves skin feeling very clean!
  • clears acne and prevents it
  • worth your money!
  • WORKS GREAT!!

Cons

• nothingg
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using this product since 1992. My dermatologist recommended this along with DML lotion twice a day, now Carols Daughter. My face has done great in transitioning to her face product, which my dermatologist approved of due to the ingredients in it. I am 51 years old and my skin is amazing, NO one ever guessed my age correctly......I am sure most of it is genetics. But the product has never dried my skin out as you know in Houston, the humidity is a "killer" but great for skin. I have never used any other product on my face and I never will. It's worth every penny and it lathers great. Why spend money on expensive cleansers when this is all you need. At least for me it is.

Pros

• not drying
  • lasts a long time
  • goes with me everywhere

Cons

• none
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 3.49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I ran out of dan's cleanser, so I thought I would give this product a try. Withing 3 days of use my skin was flaking off in large chunks, and even moisturizer would not hide the dryness. Under my jawbone on the neck was the worst, just raw epidermis lol. I don't know why this happened but the purpose bar did not play well with me, I am using Dr. Bronners soap now and it works well

Pros

• effective cleaning
  • strips oil off well
  • large size
  • cheap

Cons

• extremely drying
  • did I mention drying?
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 4.49
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I love it, and its cheap!

Pros

• Actually lathers.
  • Simple ingredients.
  • Doesn't clog my pores.
  • Removes oil, and my skin is less oily during the day while using this.
  • Not drying at all.
  • Gentle.(no harsh ingredients of fragrance.)
  • Clears up all types of acne.

Cons

• Bar is sorta messy to use. but thats okay!
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.