Page 5 of Proactiv Solution Acne Treatment System reviews

2.6/5 - 4428 reviews

Brand: Proactiv Solution

RENEWING CLEANSER
Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%

Water (aqua), magnesium aluminum silicate, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, sorbitol, dimethyl isosorbide, disodium PEG-12 dimethicone sulfosuccinate, tridecyl stearate, neopentyl glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, polyethylene, cetyl esters, anthemis nobilis flower extract, sodium hyaluronate, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, tridecyl trimellitate, propylene glycol, Imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

REVITALIZING TONER
Ingredients:
Water (aqua), glycolic acid, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, rosa canina fruit extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium PCA, panthenol, glycerin, propylene glycol, allantoin, polysorbate 20, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium hydroxide, benzophenone-4, tetrasodium EDTA, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum), blue 1 (CI 42090), yellow 5 (CI 19140).

REPAIRING TREATMENT
Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%.

Water (aqua), ethoxydiglycol, cyclotetrasiloxane, cyclopentasiloxane, cetearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, panthenol, allantoin, xanthan gum, ceteareth-20, carbomer, triethanolamine, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

Proactiv Solution 4-pc. Acne Treatment System
updated: 10/31/2014 04:36 UTC

Not an effective product + horrible customer service
Reviewed on May 29, 2014

I started breaking out just 4 months ago, and after 2 months of no improvement, i finally decided to resort to proactiv plus system. Immediately after using their product, i started to notice my skin was getting worse. i called them after a month of using and they gave me the "it makes it worse before it really gets better" talk. The lady told me to wait another two weeks and it will get better. I listened to her and my skin is now worse than it ever was. I called again but every time i mentioned that their products weren't working for me and that i wanted to cancel my subscription, they quickly gave excuses like their system just got "shut down" or their computer was "acting up" and that i should try calling back in 10 minutes. After the first few calls of that, i finally got someone who actually had a working computer and managed to cancel my subscription. But i couldn't return their products because i missed their 60 day return policy by a day. I just wasted over $200 worth of products that did nothing for me. I recommend seeing a professional first before wasting your money on this. And if the professional suggest to try proactiv, then see another professional.

Gimmick Through and Through
Reviewed on May 21, 2014

In the fall of 2010, I was entering my Junior year of high school when I noticed my skin started to break out. It began with a few red bumps around my chin, forehead, and every so often on the nose. But other than that, my skin was very clear, firm, even-toned and even-textured. By the spring, I started feeling a little self-conscious and decided I needed to developed a better skincare routine. My my family doctor recommended proactiv because they 'said' they found a lot of success with the system in people with my skin problems. I have never made a worse mistake in my entire life. I purchased this system under the assumption that "well, if friends, doctors, and celebrities get clear skin from this product than that means I will too!". I was so wrong. I used the system in its entirety, hoping that my skin followed the mantra "it gets worse before it gets better". After three months, and $100 down the drain, my skin's texture completely changed. I started developing acne scars and dark spots, uneven, sensitive skin, the pores on my cheeks were extremely enlarged and my breakouts rocketed to a whole new level of bad. I noticed what looked to be dozens of tiny bumps all over my forehead and around my mouth and I even started to develop very painful and chronic cystic acne along my jawline and forehead. It is now 2014, I am a sophomore in college and my skin is still trying to recover from this train-wreck of an acne treatment. Because of proactiv, I lost so much confidence and self-esteem and stopped interacting with a large majority of my friends. This product line is a huge gimmick and if there is someone reading this review that is considering trying this skincare line, please see a dermatologist first and find out what they can offer you instead. If your dermatologist recommends proactiv solution, run far, far, away from that doctor. I hope my horror-story with proactiv will help prevent others from enduring the same fate as I.

Definitely would recommend, unless you are lazy!
Reviewed on May 18, 2014

For years (since I was 12, now 17) I have struggled with acne. I tried everything (except accutane of course), from antibiotics (2 types), the contraceptive pill, all sorts of cleansers from the supermarket, even stuff from avon. Nothing worked. After trying almost every avenue for 3 years and begging my mum to let me go on accutane, she bought me proactiv. Best thing ever bought. Now people complain they used it straight away and they complain that their skins reacting. What you're SUPPOSED to do is trial it, use it every second night for 2 weeks so your skin can get USED to it. Many people do not try this and end up blaming proactiv. I tried the 2 week trial, then started using it religiously 2 times a day, 3 step method (cleanse, tone and repair) and what do you know, it really does start working from day 1. About 6 weeks later, no pimples. Yes I had very bad scarring (hyperpigmination) however that's something that time must heal. One thing i'll admit, my skin did become dry and flaky, I then purchased the moisterizer which you apply after step 3 (repair, once it has dried). Also once you do stop using it your pimples do come back. That is because proactiv is controlling your breakouts, not getting rid of it. You cannot GET RID of it, however skin care products like proactiv can reduce the appearance of breakouts.

Honestly by far this is the best thing I've ever purchased and the best thing I have ever done for my skin. If it wasn't for proactiv I really don't know what I would do. I did not have any issues whatsoever with shipment/being tricked into paying for 2 packs or whatever people were complaining about because I went to the proactiv store myself, and on the plus side got lots of free stuff.

Yes it works!
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

To answer is, yes proactive does work. Immediately after using proactive my skin responded and started to clear. Although proactive works effectively, your skin begins to become dependent on it. After my skin cleared up for about a month I stopped using it and noticed I began to break out again. If you want to use Proactive use it until your skin clears and then stop. Yes, your skin will break out again but this is only temporary. I am not sure on the dark spot removers and other facial masks and cleansers they add a an gift, but the three-step system does. [link removed]

use Citrus Clear instead
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

I struggled with adult acne, which is different than teenage acne. My skin is very sensitive and prone to dryness and the Citrus Clear Sensitive Wash & Moisturizer are the only products that dont irritate my skin. I also use the Citrus Clear Spot Treatment - but i use it all over my face - not just in specific areas. This works the best all over the face. Its the only thing that managed to control my adult acne, without irritating my sensitive skin. . .and my skin is sensitive!

Worthless Treatment, Rude Representatives! Switched to OCM!
Reviewed on May 9, 2014

Proactiv has got to be one of the worst companies that I have had the misfortune of dealing with. I was starting to get small breakouts in various places, and decided that I was tired of it. So, I got on and ordered Proactiv. Signing up and getting the initial package was a task in itself. I made phone call after phone call. When I got signed up, they actually signed me up TWICE, so I was being charged double. They never explained to me that they were going to bill me over the course of three months to make it "cheaper." After 4 months of dry skin, breakouts, and rude service, I called to cancel. Now, I'm sure many other people have noticed; they hire people from everywhere. This is fine, but you CANNOT UNDERSTAND THEM. The representative refused to cancel my account, but put the account on hold. He told me that I would "regret canceling with Proactiv" that I will "want to come back." I was flustered, but I took what I could get. I called back a few weeks later and cancelled my account.

They charged me $40 two months later and sent me another package. I refused the package and USPS sent it back to them. I called later that day and said that I had "already canceled my account, and I expect to be refunded. I will be refusing anymore packages they try to send me." The representative had a serious attitude, and told me she would switch it out for something else. NO. I said I wanted a refund, and nothing more from their company. A month later, I received a refund, of $9. They refuse to refund me any more than that. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE.

I switched to OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) about 4 months ago, and my skin looks AMAZING. I highly suggest trying this before going to another company. You can find out more at the link below.

[link removed]

Not worth the time!
Reviewed on May 9, 2014

On top of the Proactiv company being extremely pushy and not very helpful, the products are very mediocre. Over a few weeks of using proactive my skin became irritated, gained more redness, and stayed dry even with using the "bonus moisturizer" that came with the set. My acne did clear up a little but my face was in such poor shape that I could not apply make up without it looking cakey or my face flaking it off. I highly, highly suggest looking into more gentle or even natural products for your skin. I am not 100% clear but my skin looks wonderful since I've stopped using proactive that the little acne that remains is hardly a bother.

Horrible product and company!!
Reviewed on May 1, 2014

I purchased Proactiv +, after using it for a month, not only did it not work but it made my skin worse. Then they over charged my bank account and after i called to get it refunded and to have the account cancelled, they never refunded me and they sent me a bill saying that i still owed them $87.00. I was hung up on twice while trying to resolve the problem and I couldn't understand 90% of what the representatives were saying to me. They still have not refunded my money and my skin is starting to look better now that i stopped using their product. I will never try anything company has again. Hopefully this information will deter future buyers so they wont have to go through what i'm still going through with this horrible company!

No help.
Reviewed on April 25, 2014

I used the Proactive Treatment for 3 months, religiously. At first I thought it will take time to work even though my skin kept on getting worse and worse each day. Then I just quit completely. Waste of money honestly, there are a lot of home made remedies that will definitely be a lot more effective then this. Overall, not worth spending money and time on.

Terrible Outcome!
Reviewed on April 22, 2014

I was given Proactive by a friend. It didn't work for him but he said it might work for me since we have different skin types. I tried it out and it seemed to work for me the first few days. 2 weeks later I find myself breaking out more than I already was. My acne became inflamed and my skin as of now is super dry. Another thing is, my skin began to look oily and elastic in the spots where I put on the spot treatment (3rd step.) Proactive is by far the worst acne treatment I have ever used in my life. I am 20 years old and never broke out in my life until I hit 19. Proactive was said to help get self-esteem back, instead it decreased mine even more. 5 weeks into this skincare and the only thing I have is dry, itchy/irritated, inflamed, and more pimples than before. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!