Page 5 of Proactiv Solution Acne Treatment System reviews

2.6/5 - 4433 reviews

Brand: Proactiv Solution

RENEWING CLEANSER
Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%

Water (aqua), magnesium aluminum silicate, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, sorbitol, dimethyl isosorbide, disodium PEG-12 dimethicone sulfosuccinate, tridecyl stearate, neopentyl glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, polyethylene, cetyl esters, anthemis nobilis flower extract, sodium hyaluronate, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, tridecyl trimellitate, propylene glycol, Imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

REVITALIZING TONER
Ingredients:
Water (aqua), glycolic acid, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, rosa canina fruit extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium PCA, panthenol, glycerin, propylene glycol, allantoin, polysorbate 20, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium hydroxide, benzophenone-4, tetrasodium EDTA, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum), blue 1 (CI 42090), yellow 5 (CI 19140).

REPAIRING TREATMENT
Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%.

Water (aqua), ethoxydiglycol, cyclotetrasiloxane, cyclopentasiloxane, cetearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, panthenol, allantoin, xanthan gum, ceteareth-20, carbomer, triethanolamine, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

Proactiv Solution 4-pc. Acne Treatment System
updated: 11/23/2014 19:38 UTC

Horrible!!
Reviewed on June 15, 2014

I have tried the original Proactiv and the Proactiv plus. They both did not work at all! Not to mention the cost is ridiculous for what it doesn't do. The only thing it did do was burn and ruin my skin. If anything it gave me more breakouts because my skin was so irritated. It made me feel terrible!! Thankfully I gave up on it and my skin is slowly recovering and clearing with more natural products. You do not have to feel a burn for a product to work!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON PROACTIV!!!!

Proactiv has RUINED my skin!
Reviewed on June 14, 2014

I have very mild acne, usually showing up around my period and a few pimples here and there. I also have slightly uneven skin tone. Proactiv gave me horrible breakouts, nasty bright red pimples, and somehow given me acne scars that weren't there before! To top it all off, the refining mask has dried out my skin to the point of where I can't wear foundation because it makes my skin look crusty! I've quit using makeup and mosturized non-stop. But my skin continues to be horribly dry. Instead of giving me confidence, Proactiv has taken my confidence away! Will never purchase any Proactiv products again and will warn my friends not to use them!

Don't waste your money
Reviewed on June 7, 2014

I used this product years ago and it didn't work then and it doesn't work now. I gave it another try because supposedly it got better and now that I am older I thought maybe I wasn't using the product correctly the first time. The product left my face oily and I was breaking out worse than ever. I know there is an adjustment period but my skin could not handle it. Then there was an issue with billing and it took almost two months to straighten out with the company (and I still don't understand the random charges to my account) and every time I called they gave me a lousy explanation and basically they just wanted me off the phone despite the fact that they are a 1 800 number here to help at any time. Such poor customer service. Now I have a 3 month supply sitting around my house that was never opened that cost me almost $200. Ridiculous.

They are just mere money makers!!They never have good service at first, and second the products are not worth it!!
Reviewed on June 5, 2014

I have had acne problem for some 8 years now.And obviously i have tried many products.i have tried Tetracycline and used applications such as Benzoyl peroxide and Retin A.This did help me at some point,i would not say 100%.Although i stopped using this for 6 months and i started getting the acne back and thought would try the proactiv.This made my Acne worse!!I started getting those small white heads which then grow to be big bumps.Additionally it made my face really dry and look even more aged..So had to visit the dermatologist who had now prescribed me Doxycycline and some gentler cleanser and toning pads(made by the dermatologist himself)They have the baby smell in it..It looks much better now and my face feels baby soft and much softer.Now i just have to deal with my scars..

My advice is never buy this proactiv!!!They are just too harsh which makes acne worse

The fact it stains everything makes you wonder what damage it is doing to your skin!
Reviewed on June 3, 2014

I have had trouble with cheek acne since I was 14 years old, I am now 21 and I have used all sorts of creams, antibiotics but nothing has seemed to control my acne. It has got less calm over time but whether it's two pimples or 10 pimples it's still uncomfortable and embarrassing. So I gave proactiv a go after reading mixed reviews, I found it very harsh on my skin and it would bring out more pimples, and it stains everything!!! - which makes you think how harsh it is being on your skin. I used this product for 6 months and feel as if it did not do anything good for me. So my friend recommended a product called Clear Skincare, I started using the gel cleanser and smooth skin 8% cream and only 3 weeks later it has worked wonders for me - clearing my skin up and my skin feels amazingly smooth - I would recommended Clear Skincare with the gel cleanser and smooth skin 8% cream to anyone who is suffering with mild acne! Whilst trying these products I have also been taking minocycline 50 mg tablets twice daily and applying Epiduo (adapalene 1mg/g & benzoyl peroxide 25mg/g) on my face at night, prescribed by my doctor.

Not an effective product + horrible customer service
Reviewed on May 29, 2014

I started breaking out just 4 months ago, and after 2 months of no improvement, i finally decided to resort to proactiv plus system. Immediately after using their product, i started to notice my skin was getting worse. i called them after a month of using and they gave me the "it makes it worse before it really gets better" talk. The lady told me to wait another two weeks and it will get better. I listened to her and my skin is now worse than it ever was. I called again but every time i mentioned that their products weren't working for me and that i wanted to cancel my subscription, they quickly gave excuses like their system just got "shut down" or their computer was "acting up" and that i should try calling back in 10 minutes. After the first few calls of that, i finally got someone who actually had a working computer and managed to cancel my subscription. But i couldn't return their products because i missed their 60 day return policy by a day. I just wasted over $200 worth of products that did nothing for me. I recommend seeing a professional first before wasting your money on this. And if the professional suggest to try proactiv, then see another professional.

Gimmick Through and Through
Reviewed on May 21, 2014

In the fall of 2010, I was entering my Junior year of high school when I noticed my skin started to break out. It began with a few red bumps around my chin, forehead, and every so often on the nose. But other than that, my skin was very clear, firm, even-toned and even-textured. By the spring, I started feeling a little self-conscious and decided I needed to developed a better skincare routine. My my family doctor recommended proactiv because they 'said' they found a lot of success with the system in people with my skin problems. I have never made a worse mistake in my entire life. I purchased this system under the assumption that "well, if friends, doctors, and celebrities get clear skin from this product than that means I will too!". I was so wrong. I used the system in its entirety, hoping that my skin followed the mantra "it gets worse before it gets better". After three months, and $100 down the drain, my skin's texture completely changed. I started developing acne scars and dark spots, uneven, sensitive skin, the pores on my cheeks were extremely enlarged and my breakouts rocketed to a whole new level of bad. I noticed what looked to be dozens of tiny bumps all over my forehead and around my mouth and I even started to develop very painful and chronic cystic acne along my jawline and forehead. It is now 2014, I am a sophomore in college and my skin is still trying to recover from this train-wreck of an acne treatment. Because of proactiv, I lost so much confidence and self-esteem and stopped interacting with a large majority of my friends. This product line is a huge gimmick and if there is someone reading this review that is considering trying this skincare line, please see a dermatologist first and find out what they can offer you instead. If your dermatologist recommends proactiv solution, run far, far, away from that doctor. I hope my horror-story with proactiv will help prevent others from enduring the same fate as I.

Definitely would recommend, unless you are lazy!
Reviewed on May 18, 2014

For years (since I was 12, now 17) I have struggled with acne. I tried everything (except accutane of course), from antibiotics (2 types), the contraceptive pill, all sorts of cleansers from the supermarket, even stuff from avon. Nothing worked. After trying almost every avenue for 3 years and begging my mum to let me go on accutane, she bought me proactiv. Best thing ever bought. Now people complain they used it straight away and they complain that their skins reacting. What you're SUPPOSED to do is trial it, use it every second night for 2 weeks so your skin can get USED to it. Many people do not try this and end up blaming proactiv. I tried the 2 week trial, then started using it religiously 2 times a day, 3 step method (cleanse, tone and repair) and what do you know, it really does start working from day 1. About 6 weeks later, no pimples. Yes I had very bad scarring (hyperpigmination) however that's something that time must heal. One thing i'll admit, my skin did become dry and flaky, I then purchased the moisterizer which you apply after step 3 (repair, once it has dried). Also once you do stop using it your pimples do come back. That is because proactiv is controlling your breakouts, not getting rid of it. You cannot GET RID of it, however skin care products like proactiv can reduce the appearance of breakouts.

Honestly by far this is the best thing I've ever purchased and the best thing I have ever done for my skin. If it wasn't for proactiv I really don't know what I would do. I did not have any issues whatsoever with shipment/being tricked into paying for 2 packs or whatever people were complaining about because I went to the proactiv store myself, and on the plus side got lots of free stuff.

Yes it works!
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

To answer is, yes proactive does work. Immediately after using proactive my skin responded and started to clear. Although proactive works effectively, your skin begins to become dependent on it. After my skin cleared up for about a month I stopped using it and noticed I began to break out again. If you want to use Proactive use it until your skin clears and then stop. Yes, your skin will break out again but this is only temporary. I am not sure on the dark spot removers and other facial masks and cleansers they add a an gift, but the three-step system does. [link removed]

use Citrus Clear instead
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

I struggled with adult acne, which is different than teenage acne. My skin is very sensitive and prone to dryness and the Citrus Clear Sensitive Wash & Moisturizer are the only products that dont irritate my skin. I also use the Citrus Clear Spot Treatment - but i use it all over my face - not just in specific areas. This works the best all over the face. Its the only thing that managed to control my adult acne, without irritating my sensitive skin. . .and my skin is sensitive!