Philosophy Purity Made Simple reviews

3.7/5 - 15 reviews

Brand: Philosophy

Philosophy Purity Made Simple

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

Philosophy Purity Made Simple

Too harsh for sensitive skin (using tretinoin & clindamyacin)
Reviewed on August 5, 2016

I have baby sensitive skin and I'm a 20 yr old female. I used this for months 1x daily before I realized that it was way over drying my skin. It didn't make me peel terribly or feel like acid or anything crazy like that. It always felt pretty calming to my face and did great removing all traces of my makeup completely (very insecure about my acne so I wear full coverage somewhat heavy makeup). However, immediately after washing my face it would feel so tight and my skin felt stretched and uncomfy. Don't trick yourself and try to solve this tightness with moisturizer because the tightness means you're stripping your natural oils too much. I repeat, YOUR FACE SHOULD NOT FEEL TIGHT AFTER WASHING ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN!!!

Love this cleanser!
Reviewed on June 17, 2014

I have mild to moderate acne and have been on ortho cyclen for about 4 months now.

I love wearing makeup, but I hate using harsh cleansers to take it all off. I wear a full coverage foundation, powder, eyeshadow, waterproof eyeliner and primer everyday. This cleanser dissolves my makeup without irritating my skin and drying it right out.

My skin has cleared up quite a bit, but I think that is because of the ortho cyclen. I just like this cleanser because it is so mild!

Also, I really like the smell. It smells like I'm at the spa, which doesn't hurt ; p

100% THE BEST FACIAL CLEANSER YOU CAN BUY!!!!
Reviewed on January 31, 2014

So, from a YouTuber, I was recommended purity. I looked into it, and I decided to buy the 3 oz bottle from Sephora. The product ended up being ten dollars. Brilliant! Cheap and awesome!! Anyways, I began to use this with other products too, and I decided this is what is making the dramatic change on my skin... This cleanser not only washes your face, it also takes off your makeup! Gentle on skin, and eyes, but also gets out all of your toxiens and dirt! It is amazing! Sephora will defintally be getting my business on the big bottle!

Good in some ways... Except for causing cystic acne! OUCH!!!
Reviewed on November 10, 2013

I bought this cleanser for 30$ at Ulta. I heard all these rave reviews on it as a total face product and wanted to give it a try. I will say first off, it is an amazing makeup remover! You do not even need to scrub this stuff literally melts away makeup (including waterproof mascara). I will say I have extremely oily skin that is prone to breakouts (whiteheads, blackheads) around my mouth/chin area and forehead. I loved this product at first, it seemed to manage my oiliness without drying me out. After a few weeks though, I started to get painful cystic acne on my forehead and upper lip, chin, and mouth creases. I also developed rash-like tiny red bumps on each side of my face. I thought maybe it was stress or something since it had been working fine. Well, 2 weeks after cutting the product out and switching back to my regular wash the horrible cysts cleared up. It was SO PAINFUL... Not to mention the fact I started getting gross blackheads! I would not recommend this for anyone with slight-moderate acne or oily skin. I am very sad as it was such a good makeup remover, I plan to still use it to take of eye makeup but it will NEVER touch my face agin

Amazing!
Reviewed on July 29, 2013

I have had acne since the fourth grade. It is now the summer before I start 8th grade. I have tried proactiv clean and clear ambi every thing and nothing seemed to have worked. I even visited 2 dermatologist. When I first started using the philosophy I noticed results over night it was completely amazing

Carrie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed on October 4, 2012

I have always had a lot of acne issues! since the age of 12 I have had acne. I am now 29. I have tried just about every single acne product they have out there that promises clear skin. I have even been to the dermatologist and been prescribed medicine. I have tried proactive. all of it has either done nothing for me or it made my acne flare up big time. I have never been able to look in the mirror and see my skin flawless from breakouts or even close to it. I have some what oily skin, mostly in the t zone. when I was young my acne was all over my face. as an adult it is on my jaw line and my temples and big time on my chin. The pimples are very large and itchy. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the philosophy purity made simple. after about a week I have started noticing a difference. the redness is gone, it is slowly taking away the existing pimples, and it is keeping away any new breakouts. my skin is soft and glowing. never have I felt my face to be soft and glowing! it is absolutely amazing! I should also mention that I use help me.

Anonymous, Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed on April 21, 2012

I had recently been struggling with a few breakouts so I decided to try Purity. That was a mistake. Honestly my entire forehead and chin broke out in fine bumps. It has been about a month and I still cannot seem to get rid of them. My skin has just broken out like crazy ever since I tried this product. It's so frustrating because I spent a lot of money on a Philosophy kit that didn't even work.

by bdean08172011 on 11/10/2013 17:16
The forehead rash happened to me too!!!
by wanttobeacnefree on 08/15/2016 19:42
Me as well! :(
Anonymous, nyc
Reviewed on February 5, 2012

I love this product! I purchased this at sephora about a month ago to go with my clarisonic and i am very pleased. I love using this at night because it smells like something they would use for a facial at a spa, so it really relaxes me before i go to bed. My only complaint is the price but you get what you pay for and it is well worth the money. I would for sure recommend this to anyone who wants clear and bright skin.

Delia, Sacramento, CA
Reviewed on December 15, 2011

I bought this cleanser from sephora and have been using it for the last several months. My skin is very sensitive and dry, and also very prone to breakouts.. cleansers with salicylic acid or BP are overdrying for me and just cause more acne. The great thing about this cleanser is it easily takes off ALL makeup,and leaves my skin very soft. It is not irritating at all and has not made my acne any worse, but it does absolutely nothing for pimples or hyperpigmentation. I'd recommend this cleanser only to people who are looking for a non-irritating, one step cleanser - but definitely not for those who need a little more strength for their acne.

Anonymous, New York
Reviewed on November 28, 2011

I love this because it isn't harsh unlike clearasil..and it doesn't have a whole bunch of bad things in it.