Phillips Milk of Magnesia

Brand: Phillips

Most helpful review

By Anonymous on 06/30/2013
thumbnail

I love Milk of Magnesia. I first discovered it a few years ago when I was having BIG cystic zits pop up on my forehead that took forever to go away. Within one use of MOM, they got smaller and less inflamed. Now, years later, I still use MOM on those stubborn pimples that need to shrink fast. I usually just spot treat them and leave it on over night and by the next day, it is smaller and less red. I have never used it as a primer, simply because I get afraid that it might make my face flaky underneath my make up, but I can imagine this would be a great way to matte your skin if you have oily skin. Overall, give MOM a try, it's cheap and works so well!.

Pros:
  • Makes zits less inflamed, red
  • Cheap
  • Over the counter
Cons:
  • Can make skin dry
  • Leaves a white cast on face

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Magnesium Hydroxide 1.

Purified Water, Sodium Hypochlorite.

Member reviews

By on

worked better than prescription pills. By far the best treatment I've seen other than urine but I'm not willing to try urine lol

Pros

• completely cleared all systic acne
  • cleared the majority of regular acne
  • kept my face oil free

Cons

• Slight itch at first when it dries but it fades:)
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 2.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I put this on right before I go to sleep. It's great-mainly dries up oil, but reduces pimples too. I'd say give it a try-it'll be worth it. Not much else worked for me, (I tried other things) but this made a good improvement.

Pros

• Matte finish-dries up oil
  • Natural
  • Doesn't stain fabric (e.g. bedsheets/pillowcase)

Cons

• White when you first put it on
  • Didn't last as long as some people say once I put it on
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I use this once a week as a mask. I first put a pore strip on my nose then take a cotton pad and put this over my entire face. I wait for it to completely dry(so I dont put that thick of a layer on). Its a bit itchy drying,not gonna lie. When I rinse it off you can already see a HUGE improvement. My acne scars fade a little and pores are teeny weeny! It leaves my skin feeling so clean and smooth and matte looking! My big pimples as well as my little ones are reduced. Love this product! oh btw..first couple times of using this i thought it broke me out but it was the cleanser i was using

Pros

• Takes away oil
  • Not drying
  • Tightens
  • CHEAP
  • Reduces pimple size and pores

Cons

• A bit hard to apply
  • Itchy(as a mask)
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Got excited after rave reviews about this keeping you shine free either A:all day or B:a few hours. It did neither. I tried applying it thick, thin, with my fingers, and with cotton balls. Under moisturizer, on top of moisturizer, mixed in with moisturizer, or with no moisturizer at all, none worked. Also, reading up on reviews after the fact, I found a review by someone that described what it made my nose look like, a STRAWBERRY. The pores on my nose looked popped up with it. It's cheap, so try it out at least. Me personally, the only reason it's still sitting in my medicine cabinet is in case I ever need a laxative.

Pros

• Cheap

Cons

• It didn't work for me
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 8
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

If you have shiny and extremely oily skin (either/or, or both), I would check this product out as a test to see if it helps you. It's a cheap, neat experiment.

However, when you apply it, you'll most likely get tons of dry chalk no matter how well and thin you apply it - let that chalk sit for 15 mins and it'll fade.

One product to check out for a relatively equal price and the same effect (possibly better) is OxyClinical Clearing Treatment %5 (the %10 version does not work as well as a matte). It comes in a little box (small tube inside) for around $5 at Walmart, and works in the same fashion as the Phillips, but leaves NO white chalk and applies better. Phillips seems to work better with make-up, though, the Oxy stays just a tad too "soft matte" to add make-up, but the good thing is that the Oxy doesn't "dry" really, it works just a bit more like a perfect matte cream.

The Oxy also gives the illusion of "tight pores" SO much better, the Phillips doesn't compare in the pore department. You can really gob the Oxy on with no bad effect, it really smoothens the skin out totally.

Pros

• (For Face.)
  • Seems to leave a matte finish.
  • Seems to diminish oil (still testing.)
  • Can be used for many things.

Cons

• (For Face.)
  • Extremely hard to apply.
  • Seems to work less than other products.
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 4

By on

Of course, this would not work for me. Whenever I find an amazing product that works for everyone or mostly everyone it NEVER works for me. I got Philips brand. I've never had oily skin, but ever since I began getting acne (about less than a year ago) my face is so greasy. I put on makeup at about 6:30am and at about... 11:00am my skin is oily. towards the end of the day it's oilier and ORANGE, because my makeup oxidizes. (if anyone is sweet enough please leave some ideas for the people that this didn't work for).

Well anyways, I tried this and applied it just normally like everyone else did w/ a makeup sponge very lightly over my oily areas. The point is that it didn't do anything, my face was still oily. :(

Sucks but whatever, I gotta keep looking.

The only plus I see is that we're gonna age slower :) hooray!

I still think you should try this it's not gonna hurt you, it might just work for you.

Good luck everyone (:

Pros

• nothing really :(

Cons

• it didn't control my oil :(
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 3
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

THIS PRODUCT IS GREAAAAAAAAAT! i suffer from a lot of acne scars but this product helps reduce the look of them as well as the oil on my face TEN FOLD. im so happy i found it.

Pros

• keeps oil heavily reduced and gives you a matt look.

Cons

• doesnt completely reduce oil but it significantly reduces a lot of it.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I was really hoping this would work for my oily t-zone but it didn't. : ( I saw all the raving reviews and I was like " This is amazing !" lol, but nothing. Washing my face w/ plain yogurt in the morning helps a bit.

Pros

• Didn't break me out

Cons

• Didn't control my oil.
  • very light
  • for about a week
  • $ 1
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I haven't heard anything about this stuff clearing up acne, HOWEVER, it works WONDERS on oily skin! I have the most severe oily skin, & I use this stuff & it almost eliminates all the oil on my skin & lasts all day!

What you do is, cleanse & moisturize your face, let your moisturizer dry in. Then, take a cotton ball & your milk of mag, & lightly dip the cotton ball in it, make sure to wipe off excess! A little goes a very long way! So, just put a thin layer, & make sure you get it rubbed in your face very well, or you will have chalky white lines, which if that happens just wet your finger & rub it in!

Wonderful idea! I'm soooo glad I found it! Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Pros

• Dries up oil AMAZINGLY
  • Very inexpensive
  • Works immediately
  • EFFECTIVE!

Cons

• None really.
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been searching for an over the counter oil absorbing face lotion...I stumbled upon info about MOM and had to try it. Today is day one of using it as a primer and so far so good! It has been about 4 hours and I have only blotted once but I was CONSIDERABLY less oily than I normally would be. I am going to try it in the evenings as a mask to see if the combination of the two helps.

I will update if I there are negative side effects.

Pros

• dries up oil
  • cheapt
  • effective as primer

Cons

• chalky residue-but once it dries you can put on a moisturizer and it faces away.
  • very light
  • for a day or two
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.