Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 9 reviews

Brand: Paula's Choice

Key Ingredients:
Willow herb, bisabolol, BHA (beta hydroxy acid), phytosphingosine, grape seed extract, green tea, salicylic acid.

Other Ingredients:
Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, (solvent/water-binding agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Phytosphingosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Hydroxyethylcellulose (gel-based thickener), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (antioxidant) Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH-adjusting agent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant All Skin Types
updated: 08/31/2015 09:33 UTC

Another useless blackhead product
Reviewed on January 10, 2015

*Light gentle formula

*Saw no results after 3 months

*Bought for blackheads and had no success.

Great for scarring
Reviewed on May 22, 2014

I've had a scar in between my eyebrows since I was 13 (I'm 23 now) and it never seemed to improve until the last year or so when I started using this. It was an indented scar that always reminded me of a third eye or something and it's actually almost completely evened out now. The scar has always had a big impact on my self esteem and I'm so happy that it's finally almost gone!

This product is pretty overpriced for what it is and I'm not sure if it's really much better than other BHA products, but it actually lasts me a pretty long time so I don't mind too much.

made my skin horrible
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

This product wasnt for me. I used iy on my forehead where i get small little acne bumps this made me break out in hundreds of bumps all really red and painful :( really wanted it to woek but it did not agree with my skin at all

Pretty good
Reviewed on August 5, 2013

This stuff is going to last me forever. It makes my skin look really nice, and is helping out my comedonal acne. I have light/moderate acne and I'm turning 20 in a week. I'm scared it might be drying so I use cetaphil face wash prior rather than an acne wash. I've only been using it at night but might start in the morning too. I'm also using clindamycin which was prescribed but I'm scared of mixing the two together so rather than using them both at the same time, I use Paula's at night and the clindamycin in the morning. Might mix the two to see how that works? I don't know yet.

by SB1 on 10/18/2013 01:39
Have you tried Bare Minerals Skin Revver Upper....its a 1% with glycolic, I have used with Clindomycin and had great results
BHA 2% a lifesaver for those coming off Accutane
Reviewed on June 20, 2013

THIS portion (VVV, 5 stars) is with respect to people coming off Accutane:

I ended my Accutane course a few years ago and wanted to make sure that the acne would NEVER come back (like most people I presume). I used the 2% BHA in the morning and Retin-A Micro at night. I can happily say, TWO years off Accutane my skin is completely clear. The BHA is not greasy at all and leaves no weird sheen or oiliness. Also, it is reasonably priced (about $20). I hope this does not sound like an advertisement! The reason I write this review is because I feel it would be a huge disservice to Paula's Choice if people do not know there are excellent options (that are well-priced too!).

THIS portion (VVV, 2 stars) is for people not coming off/taken Accutane:

Honestly, I'd have to say DO NOT use this if you have not taken Accutane. I used this BHA before I took Accutane and it made me break out in terrible acne. I am not sure if I did not stick it out long enough but maybe it had to do with clogged pores? Accutane essentially "purges" your pores so it acts as this does (although with a greater efficacy). It is a well-formulated product although I wouldn't really recommend ANY BHA product for a person who has lots of clogged pores. Expect those clogged pores to turn into pustules/cysts if you do before you have "clear" skin! That's just my opinion.

Anyway, 5 stars for maintenance after Accutane, a shaky 2 stars (+1,2,3,4/-1 depending on person) for those with clogged pores who have not taken Accutane (Isotretinoin).

Reviewed on August 24, 2011

I highly reccommend this product. It cleared my skin of black heads! Not one left after a couple of weeks of regular use . This product made the difference for my skin. I guess is the power of BHA! Way better than AHA .

Reviewed on April 2, 2011

I was extremely unsure about trying this product since I have reacted badly to salicylic acid products before. I researched that all of her products were pH balanced, though, and gave it a try. I am so glad I did! I started breaking out in inflamed acne all over my cheeks and chin out of nowhere and after sleeping with this on, it reduced the inflammation of every pimple by like 75%. I had one particularly bad cyst on my right cheek that I thought would take a week to go away, and this stuff almost killed it overnight. Also, I use this in conjunction with Differin with no irritation. Awesome product, I hope it continues to work so well.

Reviewed on October 9, 2010

While I could tell that it was making my overall skin look better, it also made me break out in painful cysts in my chin. I really wanted this product to work for me and kept giving it more time to get over any purging, but it turned out that it just wasn't for me

Reviewed on August 24, 2010

Great overall, effective BHA with the right pH. It heals razor scratches, increases my skin turnover to fade acne scars, disinfects active acne breakouts, etc, etc. Everything a BHA is supposed to do.

I also have used Neutrogena's 3-in-1 BHA treatment which is marginally cheaper, but sold in only 2 oz tubes. It also has a more sticky residue and smells. PC's is a better choice, but if I run out, that's what I get at the drugstore while I wait for my shipment.