Page 5 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 794 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Reviewed on November 25, 2012

These pills work amazingly well for ME. After 5 years of having moderate acne with large, painful bumps that left bad scars, I had zero self-confidence. It got so bad that some days I wouldn't go out in public. I was trying every cleanser I could find, going on antibiotic pills and creams, using Differin and Retin-A, trying different birth controls, cutting dairy products out of my diet completely, and going to many other difficult and sometimes extreme measures in order to clear my skin, but nothing worked. But after reading a lot of great reviews about ortho tri-cyclen, I decided I would make one last attempt at clearing my skin. I loved it right away! I barely had any PMS symptoms, and my skin was instantly less oily and every morning when I looked in the mirror I had fewer pimples! For the first few months I still broke out around that lovely time of the month, but I can say after 5 months of using ortho tri-cyclen that my skin is TOTALLY CLEAR! I never thought I would be able to say I don't have acne, but it feels so amazing to be confident going out in public, even without makeup! So, I guess the bottom line is that after much trial and error, I found the cure for MY acne. Everyone's skin reacts differently to treatments, which is why acne is so hard to get rid of. All I do is live a clean lifestyle and take these pills every day, and for MY skin, that's all I need! I drink about a gallon of water every day, ALWAYS wash my face twice a day (using Clean and Clear Continuous Control cleanser), keep bacteria off my face (use clean makeup brushes, sleep on clean pillow cases, etc.), and take these pills every night. It truly is an amazing feeling to have clear skin! If you haven't found what works for you yet, I know exactly how you feel, and I would encourage you to start by drinking a lot of water, keeping your face clean, and living an overall healthy lifestyle. From there, I would definitely recommend trying ortho, just remember to be patient! Good luck :

by happygerman on 08/05/2013 13:37
Thank you very much for the information and encouragement!
Reviewed on October 29, 2012

I would recommend this for females suffering from hormonal acne. I was on depo provera for about two years and did not experience any negative side affects. About four months ago, I started to experience hormonal and stress-related breakouts (cystic acne around chin, jaw, and temples). I tried different topicals, diet changes, vitamins, etc.

I believe that truly hormonal acne can be helped or reduced somewhat, but unfortunately not significantly with these methods. I decided to try Ortho Tri Cyclen after researching the the benefits of estrogen-dominant BC on reducing hormonal acne. I am on my second month of pills. I did experience a moderate breakout after starting the new BC. I don't know if this was a result of stopping Depo Provera or starting Ortho Tri Cyclen. I have seen gradual improvement since. Hopefully, improvement will continue. I have heard that it can take several months for your body to adjust to the hormones.

In addition to decreased breakouts, my breast size has increased about half a cup so far. Since I was small to begin with, this is not a problem. However, I am still experiencing some soreness. Overall, the benefits definitely outweigh any minor issues during the first two months. Highly recommend for anyone experiencing hormonal breakouts.

Reviewed on October 28, 2012

I took accutane, and within a year my skin was broken out again. Ortho lo cleared it up where my prior BC (desogen) appeared to do nothing. I was clear for about a year and a half, when I decided I no longer wanted to take the pill and cleanse my body. Wow, big mistake. Acne came back worse than ever within a month of being off. I've been back on the pill for about 3.5 months and things are better, but still not as good as they were when I was on it. I think being on this pill may cause more harm than good... I feel like I'm stuck on it now. But it does seem to help with acne.

Reviewed on October 8, 2012

I'm 30. If you can bear the first 4-5 months of breakouts.. Worse than breakouts before starting, it's worth it. At the time, the first few months seemed like it was never going to end. Now, in retrospect, those 4 months of breakouts for continuous flawless skin... It's so worth it. Hang in there and if you're older, like me, take at the same time everyday. I'm happy!

Ps I replied moderate acne-- that was before I was on this. Now my acne is so mild.

Reviewed on October 5, 2012

I took yaz which kept my skin clear for years even after I stopped I'd get one or two but nothing serious, I decided I wanted a pill less linked to blood clot risk and tried OTC each week the hormones increase and around week 2-3 I woke up with a new cyst daily I was currently modeling and obviously can work until things cleared up but those suckers take forever. The worst part is my hormones never balanced out and my skin stayed that bad indefinitely until now I'm back on yaz. Biggest mistake of MY LIFE. This pill can work for some people but the increasing hormones just really don't work for some people. I'd go with yaz, it's more anti-androgenic and stable.

Reviewed on October 3, 2012

I'm 15 and I started taking OTC in February because I would get extremely bad cramps and very bad mood swings. I have been taking OTC for 8 months now and I love it :) I haven't tried any other form or type of BC but I would have to say this one works great. I got scared at first because some people said it makes you sick the first few months but I have not experienced any bad side effects except for some weight gain and breast tenderness and occasional headaches. I would reccomend trying this !

Reviewed on August 9, 2012

I first started taking this in December and it is now August, and my skin has improved by so much- I now get the occasional pimple during the first week of each pack but nothing drastic. I wish I had started this sooner! The only issue I would note is that (at least with me) the first pack caused me to break out on the sides of my face (next to my ears basically) and my jawline- not terribly, but I never had pimples here before, and they did leave pigmentation when they went away. It is not terrible and has faded over time, but is still something that I cover with makeup and may eventually have removed.Overall I would say that the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives, my skin is a lot smoother and just overall so much better than it had been in the past! Just be aware of the fact that you may have an initial breakout.

Reviewed on July 28, 2012

Its working greatly for me although some of my pros may be considered cons. Everyone is different I have a friend on the same pill and she is feeling complete opposite.

Reviewed on July 27, 2012

I am finishing up my second month of the pill and so far I have not seen any changes in my break outs. It always get pretty bad around my pms week and this month was no exception.

I would say contrary to what a lot of girls are say my appitite actually decreased the first month. I will notice how it affected it more when I get back to school because I tend to eat more when I am home.

The most noticable side effect in my case would be how sore my breasts have become. I have very little breasts (A cup) and I can definitely tell they are swollen. I could give or take having the larger breasts because I am only 5 foot tall and don't need them to be huge. I've been on several birth controls before this and have had swollen breast but I think they have gotten larger on this one out of all the others.

I am sticking with this pill for a little while longer because everyone has said it takes at least 3 months for the acne to clear up. I have hopes that next month my pms breakout won't be as severe.