Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive

Brand: Ortho

Most helpful review

By Elle, Brooklyn, NY on 04/16/2013
thumbnail

Works like a charm. I was suffering from sudden, horrible cystic breakouts and none of the topicals and antibiotics I was taking helped. My derm put me on OTC and within two months my skin was clearer. I still get some minor PMS breakouts but nothing serious. I just wanted to throw a positive review out there since I've heard so many mixed things about birth control for acne...I'm assuming it's because people don't really ever leave positive reviews. 2 thumbs up!!.

Pros:
  • Clear skin within two packs, brighter complexion, no more deep and painful cystic acne breakouts, larger breasts, and no pregnancy. AWESOME.
Cons:
  • I did get a little bit of an initial breakout from the first pack. I started on the generic on my first pac (Trinessa), then switched to the brand for my second pack and didn't experience any new breakouts outside of a few stray PMS zits. Not sure if the generic had anything to do with it. Brand name OTC is also a little more expensive at $30/month under my insurance. Slight weight gain from an appetite increase but nothing noticeable.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Member reviews

By on

I have been on yaz for 4 years and it worked great , clear skin and no negative side affects. I get ovarian cysts which were almost non existant while on yaz. Since switching to ortho tricyclen lo the pain in my side is back=cysts back, my skin is soo bad and i cant sleep. Going back to yaz!

Pros

• I have nothing good to say about this pill

Cons

• Daily headaches, back acne, really oily face covered in small zits, dont sleep very well.
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 28
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am an 19 year old girl and had acne since I was 12. I had tried antibiotics, over the counter, and prescription creams, so my doctor recommended OTC. I used it for 4 months. Just finished my fourth pack, and do not plan to continue.

I did experience a small initial breakout, but that calmed down within a month.

My face isn't cluttered with zits so that's good, and i'd get cysts anyway. However, it did not remove as much as i'd like, and i still struggle. My doctor gave me a prescription for Diane-35, which has a higher amount of female hormone and blocks male hormones too. If you're going to switch up birth controls, look for one that has a higher amount of hormones, a lower amount will most likely cause a terrible initial breakout and other bad side effects. It works for a lot of people though, so give it a shot.

Pros

• less acne overall, get a few now and some tiny ones that nobody sees anyway
  • chest, arms and back are now clear
  • body changes. this can be a pro or con, but my waist went from 27 inches to 26, my hips from 36.5 to 41 inches, and my breasts from 34A to 34B.
  • no babies, 2 birds with one stone

Cons

• the acne i do get is cystic and painful, i'll have 1-2 small or large cysts on my face at a time
  • recently started getting small bumps on my forehead, never had this problem before, i ahve bangs that cover it, but still
  • tiredness and exhaustion
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30

By on

These pills work amazingly well for ME. After 5 years of having moderate acne with large, painful bumps that left bad scars, I had zero self-confidence. It got so bad that some days I wouldn't go out in public. I was trying every cleanser I could find, going on antibiotic pills and creams, using Differin and Retin-A, trying different birth controls, cutting dairy products out of my diet completely, and going to many other difficult and sometimes extreme measures in order to clear my skin, but nothing worked. But after reading a lot of great reviews about ortho tri-cyclen, I decided I would make one last attempt at clearing my skin. I loved it right away! I barely had any PMS symptoms, and my skin was instantly less oily and every morning when I looked in the mirror I had fewer pimples! For the first few months I still broke out around that lovely time of the month, but I can say after 5 months of using ortho tri-cyclen that my skin is TOTALLY CLEAR! I never thought I would be able to say I don't have acne, but it feels so amazing to be confident going out in public, even without makeup! So, I guess the bottom line is that after much trial and error, I found the cure for MY acne. Everyone's skin reacts differently to treatments, which is why acne is so hard to get rid of. All I do is live a clean lifestyle and take these pills every day, and for MY skin, that's all I need! I drink about a gallon of water every day, ALWAYS wash my face twice a day (using Clean and Clear Continuous Control cleanser), keep bacteria off my face (use clean makeup brushes, sleep on clean pillow cases, etc.), and take these pills every night. It truly is an amazing feeling to have clear skin! If you haven't found what works for you yet, I know exactly how you feel, and I would encourage you to start by drinking a lot of water, keeping your face clean, and living an overall healthy lifestyle. From there, I would definitely recommend trying ortho, just remember to be patient! Good luck :

Pros

• Completely cleared my skin!
  • No initial breakout (in my case)
  • No crazy side effects birth control is known to cause

Cons

• Took around 4 months to clear my skin
  • Won't work for everyone (as every acne product doesn't), but DEFINITELY worth a try!
  • moderate
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I would recommend this for females suffering from hormonal acne. I was on depo provera for about two years and did not experience any negative side affects. About four months ago, I started to experience hormonal and stress-related breakouts (cystic acne around chin, jaw, and temples). I tried different topicals, diet changes, vitamins, etc.

I believe that truly hormonal acne can be helped or reduced somewhat, but unfortunately not significantly with these methods. I decided to try Ortho Tri Cyclen after researching the the benefits of estrogen-dominant BC on reducing hormonal acne. I am on my second month of pills. I did experience a moderate breakout after starting the new BC. I don't know if this was a result of stopping Depo Provera or starting Ortho Tri Cyclen. I have seen gradual improvement since. Hopefully, improvement will continue. I have heard that it can take several months for your body to adjust to the hormones.

In addition to decreased breakouts, my breast size has increased about half a cup so far. Since I was small to begin with, this is not a problem. However, I am still experiencing some soreness. Overall, the benefits definitely outweigh any minor issues during the first two months. Highly recommend for anyone experiencing hormonal breakouts.

Pros

• Reduced acne
  • Increased breast size
  • Prevents pregnancy

Cons

• Breast soreness
  • Initial breakout
  • Slight mood swings during initial phase
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 5

By on

I took accutane, and within a year my skin was broken out again. Ortho lo cleared it up where my prior BC (desogen) appeared to do nothing. I was clear for about a year and a half, when I decided I no longer wanted to take the pill and cleanse my body. Wow, big mistake. Acne came back worse than ever within a month of being off. I've been back on the pill for about 3.5 months and things are better, but still not as good as they were when I was on it. I think being on this pill may cause more harm than good... I feel like I'm stuck on it now. But it does seem to help with acne.

Pros

• Helps acne

Cons

• Acne was HORRIBLE when I attempted to get off the pill
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm 30. If you can bear the first 4-5 months of breakouts.. Worse than breakouts before starting, it's worth it. At the time, the first few months seemed like it was never going to end. Now, in retrospect, those 4 months of breakouts for continuous flawless skin... It's so worth it. Hang in there and if you're older, like me, take at the same time everyday. I'm happy!

Ps I replied moderate acne-- that was before I was on this. Now my acne is so mild.

Pros

• **Ortho tricyclen***
  • Long term -acne clears up, no weight gain, lighter period.

Cons

• Short term- first 4 months yield severe break out, if I take my dose even a few hours late I start spotting, my period consists of clotted blood- gross.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 34
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I took yaz which kept my skin clear for years even after I stopped I'd get one or two but nothing serious, I decided I wanted a pill less linked to blood clot risk and tried OTC each week the hormones increase and around week 2-3 I woke up with a new cyst daily I was currently modeling and obviously can work until things cleared up but those suckers take forever. The worst part is my hormones never balanced out and my skin stayed that bad indefinitely until now I'm back on yaz. Biggest mistake of MY LIFE. This pill can work for some people but the increasing hormones just really don't work for some people. I'd go with yaz, it's more anti-androgenic and stable.

Pros

• prevent pregnancy

Cons

• severe depression
  • no libido
  • SEVERE acne that lasted even when I got off the pill
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 30

By on

I'm 15 and I started taking OTC in February because I would get extremely bad cramps and very bad mood swings. I have been taking OTC for 8 months now and I love it :) I haven't tried any other form or type of BC but I would have to say this one works great. I got scared at first because some people said it makes you sick the first few months but I have not experienced any bad side effects except for some weight gain and breast tenderness and occasional headaches. I would reccomend trying this !

Pros

• ~ breasts grew
  • ~ acne went away
  • ~ mood swings aren't as bad
  • ~ little to no cramps
  • ~ shorter lighter periods

Cons

• ~ weight gain, I was 120 when I started the pill and now I'm 124 so not that much weight gain
  • ~ makes me wanna eat food more
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

HORMONAL MESS!

• for about a month

By on

I first started taking this in December and it is now August, and my skin has improved by so much- I now get the occasional pimple during the first week of each pack but nothing drastic. I wish I had started this sooner! The only issue I would note is that (at least with me) the first pack caused me to break out on the sides of my face (next to my ears basically) and my jawline- not terribly, but I never had pimples here before, and they did leave pigmentation when they went away. It is not terrible and has faded over time, but is still something that I cover with makeup and may eventually have removed.Overall I would say that the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives, my skin is a lot smoother and just overall so much better than it had been in the past! Just be aware of the fact that you may have an initial breakout.

Pros

• Completely cleared acne aside from occasional pimple
  • Increased breast size

Cons

• Slight weight gain (not really noticeable, maybe 3 pounds)
  • Caused initial breakout that caused slight hyper pigmentation
  • light
  • for about a year
  • $ 40
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.