Page 3 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 791 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Clearing me up
Reviewed on August 17, 2013

I'm 24 and have been experiencing acne on my jaw and lower cheeks for 2 years now. I started taking ortho partially to clear up acne. I really didn't have my hopes up because the doctor said it might not work for me though it is helpful for some people. I started my third packet two weeks ago and I have noticed that for the last two weeks my skin has been softer and that my jaw line has been less bumpy. I've been eating a normal diet but have not put in much effort to restrict cheese, milk, and chocolate yet the amount of pimples that come out continue to decline. I still have scars and red spots but the bumpiness has gone away. ANOTHER way I have been able to tell that ortho has helped me has been by using the biore pore strips. In addition to using them on my nose I would in the past use them on my cheeks and would remove a lot of sebum from all areas of my face. I used a pore strip this week and NOTHING came out from the cheek area and a little bit did on the nose so this is how i know that sebum production has decreased! So I did a little research and found out that the pill lowers testosterone levels which in turn decrease sebum production therefore causing less acne ;)

Happy with the results
Reviewed on August 6, 2013

I'm a 22 year old college student and I've been taking this pill for 7 months now. The main reason I decided to go on the pill was to get rid of my acne. I had moderate acne and I would use makeup to cover up my flaws and the scars it left behind. My acne would also get really bad when I was stressed in school. I had tried others and didn't seem to work so I decided to give it a shot. I still remember the first month I didn't see much improvement, on the contrary my acne got slightly worse but by the end of the second month I started to see results. As of now, I've gotten rid of 90 percent of my acne. I say this because I still have the occasional pimple here and there(especially when my period is coming). sometimes even 2 or 3 but it's not as bad as before and they go away pretty quickly within a day or two. I still wear makeup to cover up my acne marks but my skin doesn't break out like before. With the combination of a good face wash(morning and night) and this pill I've seen great improvement. I didn't feel like I gained any weight from this pill nor has it caused me to have any cravings. Didn't have any bad side effects. I wear contact lenses and didn't experience any issues in my vision. I think this pill is great and would recommend it to other girls. Don't give up. To any girl who feels discouraged: you should at least stick with it for 3 months to see complete results :) Hope this helped!

by morethanaconqueror on 08/20/2013 15:29
Do you remember what your intial breakout was like??
by VibrantUnity on 09/05/2013 06:13
the acne got significantly worse around my mouth and chin. large bumps but went away later on and didn't leave marks thank god. After that my face started to feel less oily.
SO HAPPY! :)
Reviewed on August 4, 2013

I went to my doctor really quickly to switch to a new birth control because the previous birth control I was on - Yaz - had a HUGE lawsuit against them from blood clots and people dying from it, here in Canada. So I URGE all women to please do some recent research on the birth control Yaz before considering. Coincidentally, my doctor had clipped out a newspaper article about Yaz and told me he was no longer prescribing it to anyone anymore. He switched me on tricyclen! I had really bad break outs all along my forehead, jaw line, cheeks and chin. Literally after taking it for the past THREE days my skin has drastically started to instantly clear up! I also have a lot of traveling to do this month for a wedding and I'm very happy my face has finally decided to clear up. I haven't had any mood swings or anything. My hormones have been so messed up after having my son 18 months ago and I can finally say I'm happy with my new birth control.

Horrible hormonal acne.
Reviewed on July 9, 2013

I began taking Ortho-tricyclen when I was 18 years old to prevent and combat any acne I had. i had very mild acne, usually on my forehead and around my chin and was wondering if birth control would help to prevent any more breakouts. However, 4 months into Orthotri, I started to develop cystic acne on my chin. Thinking maybe my body needed to adjust to this pill, I decided to stay on it for a year. Biggest mistake. Now I am left with horrible acne scars on my chin (about 8-9 dark spots) and more acne around the time of my period. Please do not take this pill. I greatly regret it and am desperately searching for a product that will help to prevent any more chin acne.

by anotherstar on 06/04/2014 22:45
exact same thing happened to me! i never had cysts until OTC and i was on it for years :(
Reviewed on May 18, 2013

I was very optimistic about this birth control pill (I have been on several over the years) because it's so widely recommended. However, with my hormones probably already out of whack - having the 3 weeks of varying levels of hormones made my skin horrible. I gave it 6 months and now at a month before my wedding I have decided to stop taking it and get back on Yaz. So far so good (fingers crossed).

Bottom line: if you struggle with hormonal acne, this is not for you.

Reviewed on April 25, 2013

I am 27 year old female. I had moderate to severe acne. I finally decided to take ortho tri cyclen. Within 3 months my skin has cleared up about %85. Also due to having such an hormonal imbalance I also have really greasy hair and dandruff. The pill has also put a stop to that as well. Now my hair feels fresh and clean all the time. If there is anyone out there who suffers from acne I would strongly recommend this pill. It seems that there is a %50 chance that it will work with your body. Definitely worth a try. Good luck!!!

Reviewed on April 16, 2013

Works like a charm. I was suffering from sudden, horrible cystic breakouts and none of the topicals and antibiotics I was taking helped. My derm put me on OTC and within two months my skin was clearer. I still get some minor PMS breakouts but nothing serious. I just wanted to throw a positive review out there since I've heard so many mixed things about birth control for acne...I'm assuming it's because people don't really ever leave positive reviews. 2 thumbs up!!

Reviewed on April 2, 2013

I took this pill last year, hoping to make my skin perfect. (I'm a bit of a perfetionist) My skin was always clear, every now and then would get the odd cystic pimple. I took this pill in order manage that, made my skin SO much worse. I'm still dealing with it 8 months later, my face has been ruined because of this pill. Biggest mistake I could of ever made, I cry about it at times. I hate this pill. Please consider other options before taking contraceptives, trust me.

by Aspyn on 07/01/2014 17:48
Why wouldn't you switch after 3 months if you knew your body wasn't agreeing with it?
Reviewed on March 13, 2013

I had moderate acne prior to taking this birth control. It wasn't until the second week on the pill that my face started to react drastically. I started to get cystic breakouts all over my face: a lot along the jawline and also on my cheeks, where I never had acne before. My face was bright red and it was noticeably bad (my mom, who never comments on it, even asked me why my acne had gotten so bad). After two months on the pill, I decided to stop taking it because I could not handle it anymore. My face immediately improved and a week after I stopped taking it, I started taking Vitamin B5 and the vitamin Beta Carotene. It's been about 6 months now and my skin is perfectly clear!

To begin with, I was very skeptical about taking this birth control or any birth control, because of all the side affects and how unnatural it is. I suggest looking up the vitamins I mentioned and trying those first! Unless you're willing to bare through 8 months of severe acne, I wouldn't try Ortho Tri-Cyclen!

Reviewed on March 2, 2013

I started this November 2011 and up until the end of December 2012 it had done great for my acne. My skin was the clearest it had been in years and I was getting a ton of compliments. Around New Years my face started to break out and now I have all this acne on my face again. Yes, I would usually get cystic zits on my face around my period, but this is that plus some. I'm still on it and using the topical Epiduo (As i have been the whole time). I made a doctors appointment to see what's wrong.