Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 821 reviews

Brand: Ortho Tri-Cyclen

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive

Skin is great and no side effects!
Reviewed on August 1, 2016

I just finished my 3rd full month of this pill - I wanted to wait at least until the 3-month mark before reviewing. I am taking a generic brand: Tri-Previfem. I was experiencing a mild hormonal breakout that started in Dec 2015 and was just getting worse and worse as the months went by. This pill has worked great for me so far. I have not experienced any side effects at all other than feeling a little nauseous & some spotting the first week I started. Those are both normal initial side-effects and my doctor told me to expect them. After that everything was normal. My last period was so much shorter & lighter and the cramps were way more bearable!

Now for my acne:

The first month I didn't see much of a change in my skin. When I started the second pack, I got the expected "flare-up". It did suck, but it wasn't unbearable considering I was so used to my skin being a roller-coaster. It was about half way through the 3rd pack when my skin started to improve. Now, after completing 3 full months skin is 99% clear of active breakouts - I only have 2 very small ones and they will probably be gone within a day or two. I still have some red marks and scarring on my cheeks, but those are already starting to fade (I have incorporated a topical clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide cream in the last 2 weeks to help speed this up). The overall tone and texture of my skin has improved as well - it finally feels soft and smooth again! The only reason I am giving this 4 stars is because it has not helped with the oiliness of my skin at all.

Overall I am very happy with this pill and can't wait to see continued improvement! My skin isn't perfect, but I can finally go out bare-faced and feel normal and confident. I visited my family this past weekend after not seeing them for a few weeks and got so many compliments on my skin! I will be back at some point with more updates. :)

Works well for acne - other long term side effects
Reviewed on July 15, 2016

I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 5 years now. I started it to control hormonal acne that appeared at age 21 - big cysts on my chin and jaw. There was definitely an "adjustment period" (about 3-4 months) where my skin flared up and felt like it was purging everything underneath, but since then, it's hard to remember what living with cystic acne was like. My skin has been mostly clear for the past 4.5 years, and I used to get big chin cysts that would last weeks. (It's also effective in that I've never had a pregnancy scare - I do always take it at the exact same time each day).

However, there are other long-term side effects. Because bc affects your blood pressure, I developed a varicose vein in my leg after about 2 years, and even since having it removed another one has begun to crop up. It makes me worry about the increased risk of blood clots, esp. with such long-term use. However, I'm also scared of what my skin will do once I stop . . .

So far, so good...
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

I was prescribed Yasmin during my first year of college and it worked wonderfully to clear up my acne. Over the years I was switched to Ocella because of my insurance, and finally to the generic. It never made a huge difference until last year when I started randomly breaking out consistently. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed Spironolactone-- Horrible. She said it would take up to 3 months to take effect, but after two months my face got worse and needless to say I saw no improvement. SO, I decided to ask my OB to change my birth control and she prescribed Ortho Tri Sprintec. I'm only on my second week, but my face has already experienced a significant improvement and it hasn't been this clear in a while. I've had some breakthrough bleeding/cramps after the first two days, but it's been about a week now and it's completely stopped. My biggest concern is the possible weight gain that everyone talks about, although I haven't noticed an increase in appetite so far so I'm hoping I'll be in the clear. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work wonders!

On and off and back on...
Reviewed on April 13, 2016

This is a review for ORTHO CYCLEN (not tri-cyclen). A quick back story/description- I have had mild to moderate acne since around 9th or 10th grade. My older brother had insanely severe cystic acne in which he took antibiotics for and that helped him until he got out of puberty and no longer needed them. I always had glowing skin and never thought I'd be bothered with blemishes... ha no I was wrong. I have tried countless home remedies, topical creams leftover from his bout with acne, etc. I got on Ortho Cyclen for contraceptive reasons in January of 2015. My skin was still not great until around late May/early June, in which it was next to flawless. From there on out I had very, VERY, minimal spots - were talking very small ones maybe 3 a week. So around December I had a bad breakup and kept forgetting to take my pill on time, causing breakthrough bleeding. I figured that since my acne was clear even while taking the pill inconsistently and I wasn't sexually active anymore I could get off the pill and my skin would be just fine. NOOO. I got off the pill completely January 1st 2016 (being inconsistent for about a month prior), 2 weeks later I was having the worst breakout I've ever experienced. It was so traumatizing. I tried everything and nothing was helping. I went to the pharmacy and got my script refilled and began taking the pills January 14th. Today is April 13th, and my skin, THANK GOD, has cleared up tremendously. I still have hyperpigmentation and some small bumps but my back is clear again and I'm finally getting comfortable in my own skin. Be aware that going off the pill will cause an imbalance. Oh and I had HORRIBLE mood swings for the first 2 months on the days leading up to my period, that did go away though. Give it 3 months, I know it might seem like forever but it's worth it.

I'll update monthly if anything changes :)

Good luck everyone!

by Elle on 07/09/2016 08:50
So its been about another 2 months since that post and things have been decent. I need to commit and stick to a gentle skincare regimen because I get upset over the smallest bump and try to dry out my whole face. :( I'm broken out now because I started using Panoxyl 10% all over my face and oooph did it dry me out. So my face and neck have been recovering with a little oil-free lotion and vaseline but we're done with benzoyl peroxide for now. I recently liked using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Mario Badescu Glycolic toner, and also his spot treatment. With that routine I never needed a moisturizer and it really helped to calm down my skin. Up the sleep intake and I;m going to limit my dairy intake as well. I'll have a blog going on my page for anyone interested:) peace and love everyone . You're beautiful!
Thankful:)
Reviewed on January 20, 2016

Hey guys, I posted some forums about a year ago about my acne and about going on BCP. Short acne background description is I had pretty clear skin up until I turned 22 and all of the sudden started getting cystic acne on my cheeks (which never broke out before, it was always my T zone). I started taking Ortho Tri Cyclen about a year and 3 months ago and I was told that it might take about 3 months for the hormones to regulate and for me to start seeing a difference. It honestly was like a day or two after the three month mark that I started noticing that I wasn't getting any new spots. A year later after my skin started clearing up, my skin has remained clear except for the leftover dark marks, which I can say have continually faded. I still get mild acne, but when I say that I mean a pimple on my chin very few and far between and most of the time they are not cystic, also it 95% of the time is because I start picking/messing with a spot and could've prevented it. I am SO happy that OTC has cleared up my skin. My only fear is when I get off of it, my skin will freak out and that scares me like crazy. But for now, I am thankful!

A super detailed review!
Reviewed on September 10, 2015

This review is for those looking for a super detailed experience on this birth control. I relied heavily on the descriptive review of others before trying this BC and thanks to those people, it helped solidify my decision.

My backstory: I developed hormonal acne about two years ago out of no where (I was 21). My skin had been about 95% clear for years It was all along my lower jawline and it hurt so bad to the point where laying my face on my pillow to sleep hurt. I tried everything to make it go away. Switching topical cleansers, eating more clean. Switching beauty products. Even antibiotics and antibiotic creams from the derm. I felt like a monster and avoided going out. I had traveled out of the country and my acne mysteriously went away. Im talking in about a week and a half I was almost 100% clear. It was so strange. So I knew it was something in my environment that was triggering it. (The USA has so much bad crap in their products compared to other countries such as Sweden). So I decided to go the natural route first.

What helped: Out of all natural methods I tried, I found the most success with green Matcha tea. Green tea in general is good for acne and has so many good reviews! It was the only thing that kept me about 80% clear. I had previously tried spearmint tea, fish oil, vitamin C and sawgrass palmetto berry extract. All of these things block the production somewhat of androgens. However, my recent trip back from Sweden left my matcha tea not as effective and I had consistent acne on my forehead that would not go away and so I was about 65% clear and my back was worse. I caved and decided to try this route because I could not bear to hide any longer. I live in Florida and covering up is torture due to the heat.

Ortho tri cyclen review: I was hestitant about going on BC because of all the synthetic hormones it contains and the side effects but I was desperate. Upon starting this BC, I was a teeny bit nauseous the first week. Nothing unbearable and my boobs did get a little sore (but didnt get much bigger unfortunately). I noticed within a week the acne on my forehead was disappearing. The acne on my back was doing a little better but not significantly. Ive only been on it one month and am starting my second month. I was super worried about my hair falling out so Im still keeping on eye on that. I did get a bit emotional at times, especially as I got farther down the back. At the start of month two (now) my boobs are still sore so that is kind of annoying. What I will say is that it made my period the worst it has been in about 8 years. I thought BC was supposed to lighten your period. Instead, mine lasted NINE days and 7 of those days I had consistent cramping. I usually only cramp the first two days. It was terrible. I tried to refrain from taking painkillers every day for a week but after dealing with cramps for 5-7 hours a day trying to wait them out I would give in.

As for my acne: It hasnt totally disappeared. I still have some on my jawline so Im hoping that month two will bring better results. My forehead is almost clear and I occasionally get them on my neck/chest too. However, I am pleased enough with the improvement so I will continue it. Hope this helps everyone!!

4 months into BC No More hormonal Cystic Acne Skin is GREAT
Reviewed on August 9, 2015

If you have been on antibiotics and are still breaking out it may be hormonal.

My problem areas have been my chin and truly genetic since my mom suffered from acne as well. I have tiny ice pick scars very little on my cheeks from breakouts and red scarring on my forehead and chin from old breakouts. Since high school I had tried diffirin, multiple antibiotics, topical antibiotics, facial peels for the scarring and I'm on my fourth month of this BC and my cystic acne has disappeared!!! I never wanted to take BC but so far this has been the best decision for me at 24 years old I am currently taking BC and using retinA . RetinA is the best solution for black heads by the way if you use it consistently in a couple of months they come out by themselves, my skin is not crazily severe when broken out but it's bad and cystic acne is painful and other zits on top of that especially by your mouth is aesthetically unpleasant. I also decided to start the BC because I started breaking out on my cheeks which had been resulting in the zit leaving a hole aka a dark semi deep scar :( . I'm happy with my skin try it! Check out my YouTube channel I am starting a makeup and healthy skin lifestyle channel, let me know if you have any more questions! Marycasarreal

Helpful, but not a cure
Reviewed on July 17, 2015

My derm put me on this med to help with my cystic acne. It helped, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't completely clear. It wasn't until I started taking it in conjunction with spironolactone that my acne was gone.

by Faithslp on 08/02/2015 18:59
Did you get breast enlargement from spiro?
Reviewed on April 30, 2015

Tried this a year ago and it took about 3 months to really kick in. Then a combination of lots of sun and this bc and i was completely clear. Except like one tiny one right before my period that lasted like a day. I had dealt with moderate acne since I was 14 so this was huge for me. After like 10 months I got cocky and thought maybe I had just grown out of it finally. So I stopped and it slowly creeped back in not too severely at first. Then after a few months, starting at the beginning of this year, it's been horrible. I'm talking two new giant cysts on my face every day. And a breakout of like 5 new cysts on my back every week. I tried eliminating dairy/gluten/sugar, adding vitamins, working out, being very careful to do everything healthy for my skin and nothing has worked. I'm now on my 4th week back on Sprintec and at first it only made it worse. I've been pretty depressed and have been hiding in my house but I haven't had any new spots on my face/chest in two days, skin feels like it's calming down, and my back has been clear since the third week. I believe it will get better because it worked before.

That being said, I think bc is something you should reeeeaaally be careful about considering. Do you want to rely on it forever? It works for me and clears me up 99% but also occasionally gives me migraines and mood swings plus I'm afraid of being dependent on it forever. It's a choice of having clear skin and being happy but dealing with the long term downsides.

by halllek on 04/30/2015 02:37
ps I am now 20 so this is the only thing that's worked for me the whole 6 years of dealing with acne
by Wellabys on 07/08/2015 23:37
I came off birth control-broke out horrible as well:(... Tried so many things held out 1.5 yrs couldn't take it anymore. Been back on the pill almost 3 mo's. Pretty sure I had an initial breakout which is still healing. Just curious has yours finally kicked in? I'm afraid maybe it won't work for me this time
Tri sprintec
Reviewed on April 13, 2015

My first week on it and my face looks better than ever! No side effects, I feel so happy. Not sure why everyone is having issues with it!