Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Oral Contraceptive

Average price: $21.67

Brand: Ortho

Most helpful review

By katie, New York, NY on 10/29/2012

I feel stuck on this pill. I've taken accutane, which worked temporarily but my acne gradually creeped back. Desogen did nothing to help my skin, so I switched to Ortho Lo. This pill helped to clear my skin - I still got the occasional zit, but I was virtually clear about 5 months in. I decided to go off the Pill to give my body a break. BIG mistake... acne came back horribly, hair was falling out in clumps. Went back on the pill, and now 3.5 months in my skin is better but not nearly as good as it was before I went off..

Pros:
  • Not a total cure, but definitely helps to clear hormonal acne and control oil.
Cons:
  • Horrible breakouts, hair loss when stopped.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful

White Tablet

Inactive ingredients:
Lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Light Blue Tablet
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol.

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Dark Blue Tablet
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol.

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 80, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, ferric oxide, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc and purified water.

Member reviews

“Working so far”
By on

I have not finished my first month quite yet, but I do see a difference. I have had acne since the fourth grade and it has been embarrassing. It was always on the lower half of my face. Of course my friends and my boyfriend have always said it isn't that bad, but without the help of makeup it truly was a disaster. My skin on my chin area is completely destroyed, I can barley feel it when I touch it. This pill has truly worked fast and has regulated my periods as well. I have been on many antibiotics prescribed by a dermatologist, and I was a afraid of accutane so I tried this instead. I am glad I did.

Pros

• Works quick
  • cleared my skin (not completely yet)

Cons

• If missed dose, I break out the next morning
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Acne completely gone after!”
By on

Even though I had suffered from facial acne for over ten years, I recently started to get horrible bacne for the first time in my life. I changed every single shampoo, body wash, detergent, etc trying to pinpoint the cause, but finally, after a year of trying to figure it out, it finally dawned on me. My acne might be hormonal. After doing a lot of research on which birth control would be best for acne, I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood. When I got there, I told them my problem and they handed me a year's supply of birth control for free. After taking it for about three months, my face and back COMPLETELY CLEARED. My skin hasn't looked this good since I was on accutane! Before getting on Ortho, I would have at least ten zits on my face at a time. Now, I have maybe one small one. I haven't had a zit on my back since this medicine kicked in. I'm so happy.

If you are able to take birth control, it's worth a shot!

Pros

• No acne or bacne!
  • no babies!
  • fewer cramps!

Cons

• spotting
  • remembering to take it at the same time every day
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Highly recommend!!!”
By on

I've had my tubes tied for 12 years but decided to try this pill because I was tired of Adult acne and tried everything to get rid of it. I am writing to tell you that for the first time in my life I am not only acne free but finally can be out in public without wearing makeup!!! It's unbelievable how much this pill has changed my life after suffering from embarrassing acne since 12 years old. It takes about two to three months and your face will break out but then will be amazingly clear. It's so worth it. It's almost been a year for me and it still works. I hope that I inspire others to try it.

Pros

• Gets rid of hormonal acne
  • Periods are not heavy
  • Lost weight

Cons

• Remembering to take the pill everyday
  • None
  • None
  • for about a year
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

Pros

Cons

• Horrible breakouts, hair loss when stopped.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

You have to be on time with taking the pills and not missing any for this to work properly. I have tried other birth controls pills but this worked best for the acne situation. It does take three months to see its full qualities though and if u mess up a pill, its like starting those three months over from that day. First month or two u probably will have cystic acne especially on ur chin and it can be worse then u ever had. After three months I have literally no acne. I have suffered for years so im in love with this medication. It makes ur period come on the same day each month and it does become lighter and less painful after three months.

Pros

• Clears Skin

Cons

• You have to pass three months to get the full potential of this pill or any birth control pill.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have tried numerous treatments and this by far is the only thing that kept my acne under control. I suffer from hormonal acne so if thats your issue birth control is your best trick

Pros

• Clears skin

Cons

• possible weight gain
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.