Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Oral Contraceptive reviews

4.2/5 - 13 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet

Inactive ingredients:
Lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Light Blue Tablet
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol.

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Dark Blue Tablet
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol.

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 80, carnauba wax, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, and purified water.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, lactose, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, ferric oxide, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc and purified water.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Oral Contraceptive

Works great for me. Acne struggler for 16 years.
Reviewed on May 13, 2015

I've had acne since I was 10 years old and now I am 26. It made me very self conscious and embarrassed all throughout school. I've tried everything from topical creams prescribed by dermatologists, proactive (for a few years), proactive knock-offs and Murad but nothing kept the acne away. It was a constant and exhausting battle. I have oily skin and ,by genetics, large pores. So the combo of the two was just a recipe for disaster. The type of acne I had were mainly white heads and sometimes cystic acne.

I decided to try Ortho Tricyclen Lo last year and the first 2-3 months was just awful. My skin dried out, my chin was flaky and my chin and jawline were covered in pimples. My skin was worse than before but I heard about the first few months of the purging stage so I decided to ride it out. By the 3rd or 4th month my skin did start to improve. At that time I had also invested in a clarisonic mia and I think the combination of the two improved my skin dramatically. My skin is back to being oily but I don't break out like crazy anymore aside from the 1 or 2 pimples I get during my period. I am now on my 7th month of the pill and I have clear skin. The last time I had clear skin was 16 years ago. Wow. I don't know how long I will be on the pill for but whenever I decide to go off of it I hope my skin doesn't freak out and resort back to massive breakouts.

Crossing my fingers
Reviewed on February 19, 2015

I'm 15 and have been struggling with acne for three years, trying anything to get rid of it. I have horrible cysitc acne all along my chin and sides of my face with regular pimples that pop up everywhere else. Along with that I have many deep pimples on my back and neck. I began with drugstore remedies with no results. I took many prescriptions of Doxycycline and Metrocycline before realizing that I was actually terribly allergic to them, breaking out in rashes along my neck and having swollen eyelids. It was a nightmare. I turned to Proactive for quite a few months but it didn't work, it only relieved my acne for the first two or three months before I gave up. With yet another trip to the dermatologist, they prompted me to try accutane. However, I read that large booklet of information they gave me and realized that it's side effects could seriously harm me, more so because I'm female.

After turning accutane down they recommended birth control. I preyed that my acne was a result of imbalanced hormones and gave it a shot with Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Today I am two weeks away from starting my third month but I hardly see results. I have more cysts on my chin and side of my face but I was warned that it may get worse before getting better, like most medicines.

I don't want to give up on BC and truthfully, I don't know if I can handle having acne like this. I am depressed about how I look and how much energy I have to have to appear normal. I wake up an hour or so earlier than anyone I know to cover my acne, and even then it's still noticeable. It affects my interaction with others and focus during school because I'm too hung up on "my acne is horrible people probably thing I'm gross". Summer time is hard too because I can't enjoy going to a public pool and I try not to wear makeup.

I've sadly come to the decision that if this doesn't work then I'll turn to accutane, my last resort. But some of these reviews give me hope. After the three months mark I should see more improvements. It's hard to imagine having a clear face after taking my acne day to day for three years. So please, please, please work Ortho Tri-Cyclen!

working so far
Reviewed on February 7, 2015

I've been on trip cyclen lo for about 2 months now going onto my third month in about 2 weeks, but i do see a difference in my acne scars they have faded a lot recently but the only problem is I've been breaking out a lot on my chin and forehead (more my chin) i just really hope by the end of the third month everything will get better and everything will clear up

Did nothing for acne
Reviewed on January 11, 2015

This is a low estrogen pill. The benefit of that is that it generally has very few side effects. I had no side effects.

However, I took this pill for two whole years and it resulted in 0 improvement in my acne. I learned after the fact that low estrogen pills do not usually help with acne.

Also, it is extremely costly for a birth control, as there is no generic.

Though I would recommend it as a form of birth control, I would not recommend it in the treatment of acne.

Cystic Acne Completely Gone After 5 Months
Reviewed on August 25, 2014

I had been on this pill for most of my adult life, and had gone off of it at age 26. Six months or so after I stopped taking it, I began to get the worst acne of my life. I was getting 3 or more deep painful pimples, as well as many, many clogged pores and many smaller pimples. I had been off the pill at other times, and had never had that much of an issue, all though I did get acne. As a side note, I strongly suspect the reason I was getting acne worse than ever, was a combination of being off birth control AND drinking a lot of caffeine. But that is another story.

I really did not want to go back on BC pills, so I worked hard to clean up my diet. I do want to say that that made a BIG difference, but I was still getting 1 or 2 deeper pimples, not as deep but still not right on the surface. It would happen if I ate ANYthing that I should not have been eating, so I figured that unless I wanted to live like a monk, I should go back on BC pills. So I went to the doc and asked for a prescription. She explained that the acne should be better by 3 months.

At 3 months, it was much better, but I was still getting some. I just want to tell anyone who is on this pill now, that after 3 months, it just gets better and better. It has now been a little over 5 months, and my acne is completely gone. Well, at this time I have 3 tiny ones, but those don't even count because they are not visible to the eye. Just very tiny surface bumps from sweating in the Texas heat.

I am sad to have to be on the pill, but so happy to not have to worry about acne at all anymore. Also, I do have some scaring. Nothing too bad, but I have some enlarged pores and one small pockmark type scar that I am not sure will completely heal. I want to mention this because when they first appeared, the scars were MUCH worse and I really thought I was going to be badly scarred. I am happy to report that they have gotten so much smaller and shallower, and really are barely noticeable now unless you get right up to my face. Plus I think they will get even better. So, if you had a similar case of acne, keep your head up!

by KieraMarie13 on 10/01/2014 00:10
Very helpful! Thank you. I have been on this brand for 2 months now and notice a difference in the presence of acne on my face. Most of the pimples are gone, just have to worry about the scars disappearing. I will be patient. Thanks again 4 the great advice :)
Amazing!!!
Reviewed on July 14, 2014

I have use Yaz for over five years it did control my acne for a while however last year I started to get horrible cystic acne all over my face. After much suffering I finally decided to switch to a different kind so I began using ortho tri cyclen low. I expected to have the worse brake out of my life but it has been 2 weeks and my skin is so much better than before. I don't have oily skin anymore and finally no new more cystic acne coming out. I have never recommend anything but this pills are truly working for me

no mood swings
Reviewed on May 15, 2014

or weight gain! I like this one. I went from diane 35 to this so my acne was under control but after over a year on it my skin is starting up again. hopefully this and acne.org can make it go away!

Working so far
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

I have not finished my first month quite yet, but I do see a difference. I have had acne since the fourth grade and it has been embarrassing. It was always on the lower half of my face. Of course my friends and my boyfriend have always said it isn't that bad, but without the help of makeup it truly was a disaster. My skin on my chin area is completely destroyed, I can barley feel it when I touch it. This pill has truly worked fast and has regulated my periods as well. I have been on many antibiotics prescribed by a dermatologist, and I was a afraid of accutane so I tried this instead. I am glad I did.

Acne completely gone after!
Reviewed on November 21, 2013

Even though I had suffered from facial acne for over ten years, I recently started to get horrible bacne for the first time in my life. I changed every single shampoo, body wash, detergent, etc trying to pinpoint the cause, but finally, after a year of trying to figure it out, it finally dawned on me. My acne might be hormonal. After doing a lot of research on which birth control would be best for acne, I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood. When I got there, I told them my problem and they handed me a year's supply of birth control for free. After taking it for about three months, my face and back COMPLETELY CLEARED. My skin hasn't looked this good since I was on accutane! Before getting on Ortho, I would have at least ten zits on my face at a time. Now, I have maybe one small one. I haven't had a zit on my back since this medicine kicked in. I'm so happy.

If you are able to take birth control, it's worth a shot!

by Jen808 on 12/18/2013 07:45
Do you find that your skin is very dry now, though. I'm 30 and hate the acne, but don't want to look like I'm going through menopause with extremely dry skin
by nikig on 02/24/2015 16:29
Just to clarify, this is the ortho tri cyclen lo you are on ? Or just the regular ortho tri cyclen?
Highly recommend!!!
Reviewed on September 1, 2013

I've had my tubes tied for 12 years but decided to try this pill because I was tired of Adult acne and tried everything to get rid of it. I am writing to tell you that for the first time in my life I am not only acne free but finally can be out in public without wearing makeup!!! It's unbelievable how much this pill has changed my life after suffering from embarrassing acne since 12 years old. It takes about two to three months and your face will break out but then will be amazingly clear. It's so worth it. It's almost been a year for me and it still works. I hope that I inspire others to try it.

by CynthiaMarieTV on 11/07/2013 18:42
Thanks for the info! I just started taking this...looking forward to the results :)
by roserhirhi on 07/26/2014 12:17
Started taking two weeks ago and seem to be breaking out??? Will that go away?