Page 4 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 798 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Horrible hormonal acne.
Reviewed on July 9, 2013

I began taking Ortho-tricyclen when I was 18 years old to prevent and combat any acne I had. i had very mild acne, usually on my forehead and around my chin and was wondering if birth control would help to prevent any more breakouts. However, 4 months into Orthotri, I started to develop cystic acne on my chin. Thinking maybe my body needed to adjust to this pill, I decided to stay on it for a year. Biggest mistake. Now I am left with horrible acne scars on my chin (about 8-9 dark spots) and more acne around the time of my period. Please do not take this pill. I greatly regret it and am desperately searching for a product that will help to prevent any more chin acne.

by anotherstar on 06/04/2014 22:45
exact same thing happened to me! i never had cysts until OTC and i was on it for years :(
Reviewed on May 18, 2013

I was very optimistic about this birth control pill (I have been on several over the years) because it's so widely recommended. However, with my hormones probably already out of whack - having the 3 weeks of varying levels of hormones made my skin horrible. I gave it 6 months and now at a month before my wedding I have decided to stop taking it and get back on Yaz. So far so good (fingers crossed).

Bottom line: if you struggle with hormonal acne, this is not for you.

Reviewed on April 25, 2013

I am 27 year old female. I had moderate to severe acne. I finally decided to take ortho tri cyclen. Within 3 months my skin has cleared up about %85. Also due to having such an hormonal imbalance I also have really greasy hair and dandruff. The pill has also put a stop to that as well. Now my hair feels fresh and clean all the time. If there is anyone out there who suffers from acne I would strongly recommend this pill. It seems that there is a %50 chance that it will work with your body. Definitely worth a try. Good luck!!!

Reviewed on April 16, 2013

Works like a charm. I was suffering from sudden, horrible cystic breakouts and none of the topicals and antibiotics I was taking helped. My derm put me on OTC and within two months my skin was clearer. I still get some minor PMS breakouts but nothing serious. I just wanted to throw a positive review out there since I've heard so many mixed things about birth control for acne...I'm assuming it's because people don't really ever leave positive reviews. 2 thumbs up!!

Reviewed on April 2, 2013

I took this pill last year, hoping to make my skin perfect. (I'm a bit of a perfetionist) My skin was always clear, every now and then would get the odd cystic pimple. I took this pill in order manage that, made my skin SO much worse. I'm still dealing with it 8 months later, my face has been ruined because of this pill. Biggest mistake I could of ever made, I cry about it at times. I hate this pill. Please consider other options before taking contraceptives, trust me.

by Aspyn on 07/01/2014 17:48
Why wouldn't you switch after 3 months if you knew your body wasn't agreeing with it?
Reviewed on March 13, 2013

I had moderate acne prior to taking this birth control. It wasn't until the second week on the pill that my face started to react drastically. I started to get cystic breakouts all over my face: a lot along the jawline and also on my cheeks, where I never had acne before. My face was bright red and it was noticeably bad (my mom, who never comments on it, even asked me why my acne had gotten so bad). After two months on the pill, I decided to stop taking it because I could not handle it anymore. My face immediately improved and a week after I stopped taking it, I started taking Vitamin B5 and the vitamin Beta Carotene. It's been about 6 months now and my skin is perfectly clear!

To begin with, I was very skeptical about taking this birth control or any birth control, because of all the side affects and how unnatural it is. I suggest looking up the vitamins I mentioned and trying those first! Unless you're willing to bare through 8 months of severe acne, I wouldn't try Ortho Tri-Cyclen!

Reviewed on March 2, 2013

I started this November 2011 and up until the end of December 2012 it had done great for my acne. My skin was the clearest it had been in years and I was getting a ton of compliments. Around New Years my face started to break out and now I have all this acne on my face again. Yes, I would usually get cystic zits on my face around my period, but this is that plus some. I'm still on it and using the topical Epiduo (As i have been the whole time). I made a doctors appointment to see what's wrong.

Reviewed on January 26, 2013

Most of the time I have one or 2 pimples on my face which I can tolerate. However this past year I have had a chronic breakout all over my face, chest, and back, trying every routine & topical product available. I have been taking Tri-Cyclen for 12 years so I don't think it's to blame unless it combined with my young-adult hormone shift to produce chaos. Am switching to Diane 35 to give it a try (lower pregnancy protection but apparently stronger against acne).

Reviewed on January 23, 2013

I have been on this pill for 3.5 months, about to finish my fourth pack. I still have occasional breakouts, though it seems to slowly be getting better. I did not have acne before I started this pill; it GAVE me hormonal adult acne. I am simply sticking with it because of all the reviews that tell you to hang in there. I'm hoping next month is finally the end of this acne bull$&@!!

I went on the pill because I was previously on the patch and insurance stopped covering it.

If you don't have acne, STAY AWAY. I had perfect skin my whole life, now at 25 I all of the sudden have acne. My self esteem has taken quite a blow and I don't know how much more I can take. This month better yield clear skin, and fast.