Page 2 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 792 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Not to sure...
Reviewed on January 23, 2014

This was my first birth control. I'm 23 years old now, I was 18 when i started and stopped after a year or half a year. I can't remember. But I do remember this birth control was good because it stopped my acne on my face right away from starting it, it didn't get me pregnant. Great right? Wrong. In the summer time, I started to get acne all over my back and chest, even my face. but very very small pimples and only when I was in direct sunlight. (Swimming, even with or without sunscreen. walking outside.) It was like my skin couldn't breathe! so all these mini pimples would scatter all over my chest and back. my face had larger ones and I would have horrible headaches and cramps when my period came. I also was very bitchy. so angry about nothing, then emotional when my period was about to start.(for example. i'll be pissed off and rage and then about an hour later i'll start to cry. then the next day my period would start) it didn't make my vagina dry though. so In the winter time I didn't get acne (the mini ones that would scatter all over my chest and back like in the summer time). I recommending because it helped only in the winter times because the sun didn't affect me as badly as it did in the summer times. I guess because my skin wasn't exposed.

Reviewed on December 24, 2013

I've been on ortho tri cyclen for 5 months now, and for the first 4 months it really cleared up my skin, better than it's been in years! But this month my skin has broken out worse than ever before. Plus I have naturally dry skin so when it breaks out and I try to treat it, it dries out too and looks disgusting. On top of that I've been nauseous and had crazy mood swings. I've been trying to stay positive, but I can't decide if I want to quit the pill or switch to another one.

This worked for my cystic acne!
Reviewed on November 25, 2013

I never write these reviews for things but have to for this because after much hesitation I went on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for my cystic acne and it has been the only thing that's cured in in 4+ years of trying! Like many women i was hesitant to try the pill for acne because of weight gain/other side effects… well, i have been on it for a little over a month and a half now and i saw results immediately and they have steadily improved since then. Now the only thing left on my face is really bad acne scarring (i still use makeup to cover it up) but am starting laser treatments for it soon. Also helpful - i use baking soda as a physical and chemical exfoliant followed by honey every night, and only moisturize with coconut oil. I have to believe this has helped give my skin the awesome glow it has now. Gained a few pounds despite being a varsity athlete in college - but I'd say overall its worth it. Give it a chance as it helped me so much when i thought I had no options left besides accutane. I was wrong!

It made me crazy!
Reviewed on November 19, 2013

It made me sick! Made me crazy I would go frm extremely happy to extremely sad in less than a sec !

works okay
Reviewed on November 13, 2013

i am taking this pill for the soul purpose of clearing my acne and my oily skin. the birth control is just a bonus. im thinking of switching to the lo version in jan as i feel the regular is a bit much for me. i dont get nauseous because i take it one hour after lunch (1pm) i find that taking it in the morning or at nigh before bed causes morning sickness. i might be crazy but it actually curbs my appetite, makes me feel sick if i eat too much. i lost 20 lbs while ive been on it. i swell up in my tummy and my right knew due to water weight, i just take a diuretic for a few days and dink tons of water. i do have these anger spells where i get so mad i want to fight but im not sure if i can blame that on the pill. it does kill my sex drive and im always horny or at least i was before i was on it and i think its causing a vaginal odor. never had a smell before at all but lately i have been smelling a sort of smell. i cant really describe it, it doesnt stink but it doesnt smell good either. hopefully when i switch to the lo these few minor problems will cease

This might have helped my acne.
Reviewed on November 6, 2013

I decided to go on Ortho-Tricyclen to help with my horrible cystic acne. I had been pregnant and wasn't able to try any birth control and had used creams and had been on antibiotics at one point. I went to the local women's clinic and they prescribed it to me. Not long after I started, almost instantly, I began to get VERY bad panic attacks. It really brought out the crazy in me! I've never felt so out of control mentally in my life. It was REALLY bad. After completing 1 week and 1 day of medication, I decided to quit after I ended up in the ER because of a panic attack (I do have some anxiety issues as it is, but this pill REALLY amplified them.). After going off I began to gradually see improvement in my skin. I did switch my face routine to cetaphil face wash (used with the oil of olay facial brush) and moisturizer, but I honestly think the pill had a lot to do with it, because I had cystic acne that was very deep and below the skin and often never came to a head, so no creams or washes could really penetrate that far down. It's November and I've been almost completely clear since the end of September. I have had a few pop up here and there, but only two or three and they were because I was lazy and didn't wash off my makeup and they were REGULAR, not cystic. I'm guessing the week that I spent on Ortho-Tricyclen perhaps made my hormones balance themselves out? I'm hoping my clear skin continues. I'll give it a four because it did seem to work and I really can't figure out what else it could have been, and it might be worth a try, but I have to at least take a star away because it really did make me feel horrible.

Developed Blood Clots as a 21 Year Old College Senior
Reviewed on October 30, 2013

I am 21 years old and it seems that I have always suffered from acne. Even in middle school I remember having terrible skin. I literally tried everything from basically every over the counter acne product to prescription treatments such as gels and creams to oral treatments. Eventually I was prescribed this birth control for acne. It worked well for a while with my skin mostly clear and only a few blemishes here and there. I had been on this birth control for about a year before it drastically affected my life. I am a senior in college and this year I was actually sent to the emergency room and hospitalized for a week from a blood clot in each of my lungs. I am now on blood thinner for at least nine months and would just say I would NOT recommend to anyone a birth control for an acne solution. No matter how glowing your skin may look it is not worth the risk. Trust me.

At the end of the 5th pack---Skin is completely clear
Reviewed on August 5, 2013

I just finished my 5th pack on this pill, and I must echo others and say you gotta give it a little time!

I had literally NO breakouts in high school (I'm 25 now), but a couple years ago, I started getting one or two big pimples a month around ovulation. It's gotten worse over time, where I would get a few big, painful pimples around my mouth--a small breakout. I would classify my pre-OTC acne as very mild to mild. I went on this pill to get rid of that.

In the second pack of OTC, I got two bad breakouts---worse than I've ever had in my whole life--big, painful, inflamed, horrible acne. I was really sad because I was convinced it was a sign this pill wasn't going to work. BUT I stuck it out, and by the end of the 3rd pack, my skin began to clear. I haven't had a pimple since. I just use cetaphil in the morning and when I go to bed with Aveeno moisturizer, and that's it! No spot treatments or anything needed. I hope it keeps up this way. See my gallery for pictures of the improvement over time!

Works for some but not me!!!
Reviewed on September 21, 2013

When I went on this pill the only reason was to control my acne. Several of my friends are on it and it has cleared them up. I am 16. When I started I knew that I only had a 1/3 chance of it working. 1/3 of people it works for. 1/3 it does nothing for and of coarse my category 1/3 of people it makes acne worse. I stayed on it for 3 months and I was told it takes about that long to work. However what I didnt understand was that in the 3 months that it takes to work my acne should not have become worse. There really shouldn't be an initial breakout from BCP's. Your acne might not get better however it should not cause your acne to exploded and get worse. Read the side affects from the maker or ask your gyno. I have seen my friends that it has worked for and that is why it is hard for me to rate it. If you are in the group of 1/3 that it works for than lucky you. This is just something you need to try and see if it helps. I also eat really well and am very very active. I put on 10 to 14 lbs and I couldn't budge that weight off me no matter what. It was to the point that I was barely eating and still no weight loss. I actually looked bloated all the time and the weight was all around my middle. I do at least 700 ab and core strengthening a day for my sport and I use to be cut but on the pill it wasn't possible. Again this is just how it effected my body. Once I was off I have just started to drop the weight doing nothing different except eating more but still healthy. I have never struggled with weight ever. I would say give it a try but if your acne gets worse stop because it's not for you. One of my friends that it works for also had a ten lb weight gain. She can't get it to budge so she is deciding if she should live with the 10 lbs or start over looking for a treatment that controls her acne but does put the pounds on some. There is no quick fix. I am having to learn the lesson of being patient and finding the treatment that will clear me up. It sucks but I think it will serve me well as a life lesson.

by jadore85 on 11/13/2013 17:17
hi! i hope you come back to read this. i too was experiencing the sam ethings you described. i didnt see results until after my sixth pack and it did break me out really bad, my doctor said this is normal is that these are merely breakouts that were beneath the skins surface. i also gained weight but it was water weight, you may want to increase your water intake and add exercise. i actually lost 20 lbs while on it after i realized i was retaining water. this motivated me to work out for and eat right. i still puff up in my belly during that time of the month and my right knee swells up to but my oily skin is under control and my acne a lot better. try again! also try epiduo, its great, i used that a few years ago and i plan to get back on it in 2014 when my new health insurance starts with my job
Too many people don't give this birth control a chance
Reviewed on September 19, 2013

I was really weary to try birth control at all because I thought I was going to gain a ton of weight from it, and reading reviews on here scared the poop out of me. I went ahead and started taking ortho anyways. The first month was God awful. I had horrible, horrible cystic acne everywhere. Even in places I never get acne. It hurt. It sucked. I was discouraged. I almost stopped taking the pills but my mother encouraged me to continue to take them for at least 3 months. By month 2 I did not get anymore acne, but still of course had scars from my past consistent acne and my severe bought in the first month. I'm on month 4 and still, no acne. My acne is clearing up and I'm just left with a few scars. I've been dealing with acute moderate acne for a year and now I can finally feel okay. I'm almost to the point where I don't have to hide myself behind layers of make up. I just want people to know that these pills definitely can work and have for me. The only downsides are the following: A) I get a little constipated on week 1 and week 2 and have to take a fiber supplement to keep things regular. B) During the second week I feel kind of bloated and gross, but it begins to go away by the middle of the third week and by the time the placebo week is over I feel normal again.

This pill will make you insanely hungry Month 1 but after that month my appetite has been normal and maybe even lessened. I took these pills because I had a severe hormonal imbalance from a past eating disorder, these pills have managed and regulated my hormones and I am very happy. OH and also my insurance pays for this bc completely and so that's also a super plus!!!!