Page 2 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 795 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Must read...
Reviewed on March 25, 2014

I've been on tri-Cyclen for about a year now and has drastically improved my skin, therefore I rated four stars. I am acne free! However, last month I had no other choice but to switch to a generic brand of BC, tri-Cyclen gave me the worst mood swings possible and constant nausea 10-15 min after taking a pill everyday. I only held on for the purpose of my nice skin completion Now that that I've switched to a genetic brand I am headache,mood swing ,and nausea free! I'm happier then can be! And also beware ladies ANY birthday control pill helps with acne, just make sure you do your research(:

Nothing special
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

I went on this BC after having acne, and there was no topical treatments left. I can honestly say it didn't do anything really. Been on it for 3 years and still get decently bad acne. I have less oily skin, and I only stay on this to prevent pregnancy. I have More regular periods, but that's it. There are probably better birth controls.

Worst Initial Breakout EVER! Best skin after 6 months.
Reviewed on December 24, 2013

I switched to OTC after Yaz stopped working as well. I experienced the WORST initial break out of my life in the first two months. I never thought my skin could get that bad, but it did! I even took pictures of the acne to chart how bad it was. Slowly over 6 months I started to clear up and, now, I have probably the best skin I have had in a year. Everything is clear, save one or two small spots a month. I'll take those small spots over the cystic acne I had even before the OTC. I still have a lot of red marks left over from the initial breakout, which are clearing slowly. One good thing, the tone and texture of my skin has improved greatly. So has the firmness.

I never thought I would have skin this bad, but I do and the OTC has helped.

UPDATE:

I am still on this BC and my acne is pretty much non-existent now. I have the best skin of my adulthood. This stuff is great!

Not to sure...
Reviewed on January 23, 2014

This was my first birth control. I'm 23 years old now, I was 18 when i started and stopped after a year or half a year. I can't remember. But I do remember this birth control was good because it stopped my acne on my face right away from starting it, it didn't get me pregnant. Great right? Wrong. In the summer time, I started to get acne all over my back and chest, even my face. but very very small pimples and only when I was in direct sunlight. (Swimming, even with or without sunscreen. walking outside.) It was like my skin couldn't breathe! so all these mini pimples would scatter all over my chest and back. my face had larger ones and I would have horrible headaches and cramps when my period came. I also was very bitchy. so angry about nothing, then emotional when my period was about to start.(for example. i'll be pissed off and rage and then about an hour later i'll start to cry. then the next day my period would start) it didn't make my vagina dry though. so In the winter time I didn't get acne (the mini ones that would scatter all over my chest and back like in the summer time). I recommending because it helped only in the winter times because the sun didn't affect me as badly as it did in the summer times. I guess because my skin wasn't exposed.

Reviewed on December 24, 2013

I've been on ortho tri cyclen for 5 months now, and for the first 4 months it really cleared up my skin, better than it's been in years! But this month my skin has broken out worse than ever before. Plus I have naturally dry skin so when it breaks out and I try to treat it, it dries out too and looks disgusting. On top of that I've been nauseous and had crazy mood swings. I've been trying to stay positive, but I can't decide if I want to quit the pill or switch to another one.

This worked for my cystic acne!
Reviewed on November 25, 2013

I never write these reviews for things but have to for this because after much hesitation I went on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for my cystic acne and it has been the only thing that's cured in in 4+ years of trying! Like many women i was hesitant to try the pill for acne because of weight gain/other side effects… well, i have been on it for a little over a month and a half now and i saw results immediately and they have steadily improved since then. Now the only thing left on my face is really bad acne scarring (i still use makeup to cover it up) but am starting laser treatments for it soon. Also helpful - i use baking soda as a physical and chemical exfoliant followed by honey every night, and only moisturize with coconut oil. I have to believe this has helped give my skin the awesome glow it has now. Gained a few pounds despite being a varsity athlete in college - but I'd say overall its worth it. Give it a chance as it helped me so much when i thought I had no options left besides accutane. I was wrong!

It made me crazy!
Reviewed on November 19, 2013

It made me sick! Made me crazy I would go frm extremely happy to extremely sad in less than a sec !

works okay
Reviewed on November 13, 2013

i am taking this pill for the soul purpose of clearing my acne and my oily skin. the birth control is just a bonus. im thinking of switching to the lo version in jan as i feel the regular is a bit much for me. i dont get nauseous because i take it one hour after lunch (1pm) i find that taking it in the morning or at nigh before bed causes morning sickness. i might be crazy but it actually curbs my appetite, makes me feel sick if i eat too much. i lost 20 lbs while ive been on it. i swell up in my tummy and my right knew due to water weight, i just take a diuretic for a few days and dink tons of water. i do have these anger spells where i get so mad i want to fight but im not sure if i can blame that on the pill. it does kill my sex drive and im always horny or at least i was before i was on it and i think its causing a vaginal odor. never had a smell before at all but lately i have been smelling a sort of smell. i cant really describe it, it doesnt stink but it doesnt smell good either. hopefully when i switch to the lo these few minor problems will cease

This might have helped my acne.
Reviewed on November 6, 2013

I decided to go on Ortho-Tricyclen to help with my horrible cystic acne. I had been pregnant and wasn't able to try any birth control and had used creams and had been on antibiotics at one point. I went to the local women's clinic and they prescribed it to me. Not long after I started, almost instantly, I began to get VERY bad panic attacks. It really brought out the crazy in me! I've never felt so out of control mentally in my life. It was REALLY bad. After completing 1 week and 1 day of medication, I decided to quit after I ended up in the ER because of a panic attack (I do have some anxiety issues as it is, but this pill REALLY amplified them.). After going off I began to gradually see improvement in my skin. I did switch my face routine to cetaphil face wash (used with the oil of olay facial brush) and moisturizer, but I honestly think the pill had a lot to do with it, because I had cystic acne that was very deep and below the skin and often never came to a head, so no creams or washes could really penetrate that far down. It's November and I've been almost completely clear since the end of September. I have had a few pop up here and there, but only two or three and they were because I was lazy and didn't wash off my makeup and they were REGULAR, not cystic. I'm guessing the week that I spent on Ortho-Tricyclen perhaps made my hormones balance themselves out? I'm hoping my clear skin continues. I'll give it a four because it did seem to work and I really can't figure out what else it could have been, and it might be worth a try, but I have to at least take a star away because it really did make me feel horrible.

Developed Blood Clots as a 21 Year Old College Senior
Reviewed on October 30, 2013

I am 21 years old and it seems that I have always suffered from acne. Even in middle school I remember having terrible skin. I literally tried everything from basically every over the counter acne product to prescription treatments such as gels and creams to oral treatments. Eventually I was prescribed this birth control for acne. It worked well for a while with my skin mostly clear and only a few blemishes here and there. I had been on this birth control for about a year before it drastically affected my life. I am a senior in college and this year I was actually sent to the emergency room and hospitalized for a week from a blood clot in each of my lungs. I am now on blood thinner for at least nine months and would just say I would NOT recommend to anyone a birth control for an acne solution. No matter how glowing your skin may look it is not worth the risk. Trust me.