Page 5 of YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 314 reviews

Brand: YAZ

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack Inactive Ingredients:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

Reviewed on September 27, 2011

I went on yaz primarily for my acne. I was told by my doctor to wait three months before seeing results. During those three months my skin got progressively worse, it never got better. My skin has never looked so bad. I have red scarring all over my chin and cheeks. I am very upset because before going on yaz my skin was clear... i would only get a few pimples around the time of my period.I would not recommend yaz to anyone.

Reviewed on September 26, 2011

I was on it for three years. I will gladly take cleared up acne over zero sex drive. My insurance pays for the birth control. I went off birth control for about 8 months and in that time, my acne got way worse. I went on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo because I wanted a lower hormone birth control and it hasn't helped my acne at all. I'm going back on Yaz immediately.

Reviewed on September 21, 2011

When my doctor prescribed Yaz to me for my acne she asked me about my current mental health, I told her honestly that I was a very happy person and by no means "depressed" though I did get fed up with having acne and so that was a source of some stress.

Yesterday was the last day of my 3-month cycle of Yaz. Over this time I have become a very depressed, down and unmotivated person. Most days I have to force myself off the couch to actually get anything done. I have felt no zest for life and stare into the mirror each morning wondering why my skin still looks so bad. My anxiety has reached a point where I don't like to leave the house because of a mix of low self-esteem and the vicious cycle where I can't leave the house without wearing makeup but I think wearing it adds to my breakouts.

Ie. Not a healthy lifestyle!!!

This is coming from someone who is described by friends & family as bubbly, happy, positive, very energetic and excitable.

I decided that I'm done with it and will not be renewing my prescription.

I'm looking forward to regaining my passion for life and losing the 2kg I have gained since taking Yaz. It will also be nice to have some sex drive back! It's always been relatively low but in the last 3 months sex has been the last thing I've felt like doing.

I believe these pills effect everyone differently so I don't doubt this may work for some. Unfortunately it wasn't my miracle cure.

My skin is problematic as it was when I started the cycle. I am now exploring the possibilities to treat the cause naturally.

Will post when I find my cure!! X

Reviewed on September 5, 2011

I switched to Yaz right when I started Accutane. I'm not sure if it was the Accutane working with the Yaz to cause my bad experience, or if it was all Yaz. The first period lasted 3 weeks, and my cramping is bad every month now - and my flow is much heavier. I went from using regular tampons to ultra just to make it through the night. The hair loss is minor, but I noticed it. Again, not sure if it's the accutane or the Yaz, but I have been off Accutane for almost 3 months now, and my hair is not back yet. I have been on Yaz for 9 months and will switch once I go back to the doctor for my annual check up. My periods on my old BC (Ovcon) were normal and not painful and heavy. I also haven't noticed any improvement in my moods. The acne isn't here - but I'd almost attribute that to the Accutane.

I would not recommend this BC. (Also, I use the generic form)

Reviewed on September 4, 2011

I have been taking this birth control for 3

Months and I have had enough! The first 2 weeks I cried everyday, I figured my body wasn't used to the hormones. I was wrong my moods never got better and neither did my skin,, starting ortho tricyclen in 2 days has got to be better than the 3 months of hell I just endured! I also experienced baddd cramps! This pill blows!

Reviewed on August 15, 2011

horrible for me. wouldn't recommend. It has been ruining my life. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's why I have severe crying spells. Especially after reading so many other reviews all over the 'net. My dr. told me to quit taking it immediately. I was just taking it to help even out my hormones(they said I had slightly elevated testosterone but not even bad!) and maybe help my oily skin but it made is way worse. Just wanted to post this incase it could help someone else the way other reviews have made me feel like I'm not alone.

Reviewed on August 6, 2011

I didn't experience any real negative side effects that alot of women seem to speak of. No weight gain, hair loss and i didn't get any blod clots or have high blood pressure issues at all.

I feel OK about recommending it to a friend but the only downside for me is the break through bleeding so I've had to move to Yasmin.

Reviewed on August 4, 2011

I have stopped taking this poison and I'm still feeling the effects of it. I did not want to use any type of BC, but to go on Spironolacton* I had to go on a BC. Mu docotr also claimed it had some Spironalacton in it. The first two nights I got horrible headaches, but did not connect them to the pill and everything was pretty normal. Then towards the start of the second month, I started bleeding when I wasn't even on the placebo and that's when the horrible side effects began. My face was just as oily and pimple prone while on this pill, so no changes there. I thought I knew what pain was, and Yaz showed me how wrong I was. I honestly feel like dying and I will NEVER touch another BC again.

Reviewed on July 17, 2011

I used Yaz for about 1.5years and had no problems, except within a year my hair started to thin. That is my only con with this birth control. Other then this side effect I loved Yaz. Ive been on various other pills and I certainly like this one the best. Ortho Tricyclen and OTL made me feel bloated and made me feel "blah". I did trial going off the pill, I went off Yaz for 4 months because of the hairloss and bloated up like you wouldnt believe. Then I trialed a few different other pills, OT and OTL, Alesse, ortho cept, yasmin. None of which I really liked. Yaz was the best for my mood and maintaining my weight, and have decided to go back on it and hopefully with no hair loss this time around. Wish me luck. Other wise I will be making a trip to my derm to get his recommendation. I currently on Spironolactalone which in combination with the pill is keeping my acne very minimal.

Reviewed on July 9, 2011

i have tried yasmin, levin, estelle and now yaz.

when i am not bc i have perfect skin and am very happy.

yasmin made me break out

levin made me sleepy

estelle made me vomit every time i drank

and yaz is making me break out again

ive just finished my third packet now, during my second packet i was extremely moody and had horrible break outs. once i got into my third packet my mood swings stopped and my break outs ceased. but now at the end of my third packet i've broken out AGAIN.

I'm going to keep trying for another few packets and if the situation does not clear up i will change bc yet... again.

if anyone else has these same symptoms can you please recommend me a bc that does not make me break out? we may have similar hormonal patterns.