Page 2 of YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 319 reviews

Brand: YAZ

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack Inactive Ingredients:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

This Has Saved My Skin
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

I'm just about finished with my first pack of Beyaz....and I have to say that this medication has saved my skin. Background: I'm a 19 year old college student and got my first zit when I was 9. I've had acne for as long as I can remember. I have tried, like so many of you, every product (drug store and high end) under the sun, prescription topicals and oral antibiotics - virtually everything but Accutane. My acne has cleared up a bit over the years and I've actually had months where I've been clear thanks to good products...but my skin is smart and always finds a way around them! My skin went absolutely crazy when I started my fall semester of my sophomore year of college (I think it had a lot to do with stress and coming off birth control, Loestrin-24Fe, three months prior) and continued to deteriorate until about a month ago. In my ten year struggle with acne, never had it been cystic in nature - all of a sudden I had huge, painful lumps under my skin that took weeks, sometimes months, to fade (and even then they would come back). I was waking up to two to three more cysts every single day; my face looked purple and I can honestly say my skin had never looked worse. I could barely leave my dorm room, shut out my friends, avoided class, and came home to cry to my mother whenever I could. I have always been someone who has valued my looks and I just did not feel like me anymore. I made appointments with my dermatologist who recommended cortisone injections (which are God's gift to cystic acne patients!) and minocycline (solodyn). The minocycline made my face dead - nothing was healing, nothing was happening, and my skin was simply getting worse. After that dud, I switched dermatologists; as I sat crying in the new derm's chair, she told me that my only other option (considering birth control, minocycline, and heavy duty prescription topicals such as Retin-A, etc., had failed) was Accutane. I registered with IPledge and then..the magic words...she told me I needed to be on the pill for a month. Enter Beyaz - it has been nearly one month on Beyaz and while my acne did get slightly (minor, seriously, nothing scary at all) worse, mostly around my jaw and neckline - which is typical when starting a new pill - my face is virtually clear now. At first, all I could notice was that the skin underneath my acne was different - it wasn't so purple and it was starting to look brighter, softer, much healthier. Then I started noticing a decrease in oil production (I have the oiliest skin...I was up to 12 blotting sheets a day, people)...and then my zits were disappearing! I was still breaking out but in smaller pimples that were nothing compared to the acne I was unfortunately used to. As of now, I still have about seven zits, one bad one, but they are all in the healing process! I will take 7 normal pimples over 20 cysts, for sure! As for side effects, I did experience a bit of nausea and leg cramping at the beginning of the pack. I think I got one headache and was a little tired, but all side effects have subsided (except for larger breasts....which I can't complain about!). I highly recommend this birth control pill...I can only imagine that my skin will continue to improve with time. I looked in the mirror for the first time in months without make up on and felt pretty - only someone who suffers with acne can understand what a huge deal that is. Please try this if you haven't yet and give it some time....It's always darkest before the dawn!

Give it time.
Reviewed on March 1, 2013

Before going on the pill I had minor acne, usually a zit or two once in a while but nothing too drastic - I mostly suffered from on-inflammatory acne. As soon as I started the pill I broke out in some serious cystic acne on my cheeks - a spot I don't usually get acne (at least not often). I know your body need to adjust to the hormones, but all these breakouts are leaving some pretty bad scarring that just doesn't seem to ever fade. I'm only halfway through my second pack, so it may be too soon to tell, so far though it hasn't been good.

I've been very irritable and moody since I started it and have lost the desire to do anything.I'm not sure if this depression is a direct cause of the pill or if it's from the worsened acne.

On top of all that I feel tired all the time...

I know everyone reacts differently, but I personally have not responded well to this medication. Crossing my fingers that things will get better after the 3 month mark!

***UPDATE*** After almost a year on yaz, I must say it does get better. Periods are almost non-existent, and the initial breakout has passed. For those who have hormonal acne (chin, lower cheeks, jawline) I do think yaz helps. I rarely get acne on my chin anymore, where I used to tend to breakout.

Mixed feelings
Reviewed on December 14, 2013

After years of painful hormonal acne and trying all the creams in the world I went to my doctor and she prescribed Yaz (my first BCP).

Within the first 3-4 weeks of use my skin already had begun to clear up and calm down with less angry breakouts and pimples that weren't as deep under the skin.

The only thing is that my body did not like it one bit! I had severe nausea the whole time I was on Yaz (only a month). And when I say "severe", I mean SEVERE. I also started to feel quite lethargic since starting it. It was so bad that I have now changed pill. I don't know if this will happen with everyone or if it was just too strong for me. Despite this, it did wonders for my skin :)

I would recommend this for those with severe to moderate acne but side effects always vary between women. If the side effects such as nausea, tiredness and any emotional changes (no emotional changes for me so far) are too much to deal with, it is so not worth staying on. Get on a different one!

Awful!
Reviewed on December 2, 2013

I went on this birth control after I had a bad reaction to a generic brand of loestrin fe 24. My Gyno recommended it since the generic would be free under my insurance. Worst mistake ever! I never had skin issues. The occasional breakout during my period or from stress. Well the fillers in the generic brand did not work well with me body at all. So I made my first appt to the dermatologist (I'm 25) to see what the heck I could do to get my skin back to normal & she suggested yaz, being it's FDA approved to help with acne. Once I started yaz the first month I broke out even worse! Cystic pimples on my jawline and by my mouth! It was horrible. My dr told me I needed to give it time & it was normal so I stuck with it. The 2nd month my skin cleared and looked decent. Well now I'm on the 2nd week of my 3rd pack & I wanna flip sh*t on my dr for telling to stick it out! My face has never looked this bad. I feel so self conscious & cry to my fiancé. I also have had some stomach issues & problems wearing contacts since starting yaz. Stressing from it does not make it any better! I decided to stop taking the pill TODAY. I don't know if I wanna go back on any bc. I want my hormones to balance out back to normal! Hopefully this clears up soon before the holidays. It's hard to deal with painful cysts on your face when you never had acne before! So my suggestion to anyone going on this; do not do it! If anything get your hormone levels tested before choosing any birth control to find the perfect one for you.

Yaz actually helps give it time
Reviewed on November 17, 2013

Ok I've tried everything: every kind of cream and gel, face washes, natural treatments, laser facials, and even accutane. My acne would calm down for a little and kept flaring back up. Nothing, even accutane, worked. Yaz is the only thing that has worked for me. You have to give it a full 6 months to work and it will completely flare up for the first 3 months. My face has been clear for a long time now and I can finally stop prowling these acne websites looking for a cure. Everyone's skin is different, but if you haven't tried it I highly recommend

by millionvoices on 06/13/2014 09:15
I have PCOS and my skin is completely flaring up. I've been taking Yaz for almost 2 weeks now. I've been reading up on it and a lot of people say they experience a bad IB (anywhere from a few weeks to 3 months) before having clear, glowing skin. I'm really hoping for this to work so I'm gonna stick it out and use BP to combat the purging for now. I have so many clogged pores so I think it's bringing all the gunk to the surface. Reviews like this give me hope!!
Please be ware
Reviewed on June 16, 2013

I was put on Yaz after I first got my period because it was completely irregular. I don't know why I was put on Yaz and not a standard BCP, but anyway. My skin never had any problems before I started Yaz, and I didn't have any issues when I was on it (for about 4 years). Then I decided, after reading about dangerous side-effects of Yaz, and having experienced some scary symptoms of blood clots in my legs, I wanted to get off Yaz and onto a normal BCP, that didn't mess with my hormones. After I switched off Yaz, I had a SEVERE hormonal breakout. I had clear skin before and during Yaz, with one or two regular pimples, but not real acne. After going off Yaz I started growing hair along my jawline, and I had serious cystic acne on my chin, jawline and neck. SEVERE. It was the most painful and horrible experience of my life. Being 19 and breaking out with intense cystic acne. Horrible. I got tested for PCOS and I don't have it - YAZ had artificially controlled my hormones when I was on it, and going off, I was left with hormonal acne. I didn't want to go near Yaz again, and have been trying to deal with my acne ever since. 9 months since going off Yaz and I am just clearing up, however I now have intense hyperpigmentation all over my chin/jawline/neck. Please, if you are considering going on BCP that helps acne, please don't. They have some seriously dangerous side-effects, and when you want to go off them it will destroy your hormones and skin. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you are considering taking BCP for acne PLEASE DON'T. I hope I can save someone from the same experience I had.

by Louria on 11/10/2013 20:45
Always look for birth control with low androgens. It is the androgens that do it!
Still Hoping
Reviewed on June 8, 2013

I have suffered from acne since High School. I am now in my third year of college and am unfortunately still experiencing painful breakouts. Like many, I have tried numerous over the counter medication and topical creams, most which helped temporary but never solved my problem. I am now on my Fourth month of Yaz and am happy but not satisfied. I was really optimistic after reading everyones positive reviews on here, however I am sad to say that I am still experiencing many breakouts. During the first month it cleared up my acne and reduced the oil in my face, during the second month my face started breaking out a lot and again in the third month. I was okay with the breakouts because I figured that I should, like many have said on here, wait it out three months but I am now becoming hopeless. It has definitely helped reduce some acne but not all and like I said I have seen a significant change in the amount of oil production in my face.

Reviewed on April 13, 2013

I am really impressed with this BC, it really did clear my skin. When I first started taking it I was broken out on my back, chest, neck, jaw, and face! It cleared from the bottom up (back, chest, neck, jaw, then face last) with everything showing improvement the whole time, even if the area wasn't completely clear. I stopped taking it for a month and some of my cystic acne has returned, so I am back on it!

Reviewed on January 17, 2013

If you are going to try it- give it at least 4 months until you give up. I stuck it out through many embarrassing breakouts and now it works awesome! I don't break out hardly at all (also on the regimen). Try it!!!

Reviewed on January 12, 2013

I didn't have the worst skin ever, but it was being a downer on my life. I tried every treatment then I went on anti biotics stopped that, and I have been on the pill since July 2012 and my aim was to be CLEAR by October 2012 (formal). It did take a while to kick in, but it's so worth the wait! When formal came around I was so happy! Clear smooth skin hardly had to put any make up on! It was great I felt great, my self esteem was up 100%. I highly recommend YAZ if not any other pill! Good luck