Page 4 of Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 717 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Reviewed on April 11, 2012

After years of grief, I finally consulted the doctor when I was 20 complaining of very heavy, irregular periods, big mood fluctuations and persistent adult acne which was bringing down my self esteem.

I was on Yasmin for about a year and it was the first pill I tried. After a few months I noticed that my skin was a lot less oily and much clearer than it had been in years! I was absolutely over the moon. For the first time since puberty I actually an element of control over my menstrual cycle and I felt so much better about my skin. The only downside was that my menstrual cramps had become unexpectedly severe, but I figured I could live with it considering how much happier I was with everything else.

Unfortunately in my case, the happiness didn't last for much longer. Fast forward a few more months and I unexpectedly gained a load of weight, constantly needed to pee, was perpetually constipated, and I was plagued by dry, flaky skin on my hands, face and scalp. The dry skin on my face even brought back some of the acne, which understandably was a big disappointment. It was what I was trying to get rid of in the first place!

I returned to the doctor to describe my symptoms and he seemed quite surprised to hear about them. But sure enough, once I came off Yasmin, absolutely all of the above problems completely disappeared in under a month. The weight just fell off me. It really was bizarre.

To be perfectly honest it wasn't a complete waste of time because I really was content for a few months. I know there are some horror stories on here but if your doctor thinks that Yasmin might be worth a try then you can always dump it like I did, should it turn out not to be right for your body chemistry. As for me, I'm now 22 and still looking for the right pill. I've been given Dianette which could be a miracle cure or complete disaster! Ho-hum.

Reviewed on April 9, 2012

Bottom line is I would STRONGLY advise finding another method of birth control/acne prevention, anything really besides this drug. Not only are there obvious possible side effects such as the blood clotting, but I could not believe the emotional roller coaster I was on while on this medication. I was seriously considering going to therapy for depression ad anxiety because I could not understand why I was always feeling so anxious and having weekly meltdowns for no reason. Since switching I have an actual appetite, I am remarkably happier, have less acne and a much warmer body temperature! I understand there are risks with each oral contraceptive you choose, I just highly advise otherwise especially if it's simply for acne prevention!

Reviewed on March 28, 2012

i have mixed feelings about this pill.i am starting my 3rd strip now and so far,and my skin is experiencing a bit of a rollercoaster ride,with unexpected breakouts in uncommon for me areas like the cheeks which i always had clean.as for me the mood swings are the WORST.they are starting to destroy my relations with my boyfriend and the worst thing is-i just cannot control them. hopefully,these are only initial and both my mood and skin will get bettet in month 3/4!

Reviewed on March 20, 2012

I never had skin problems during my teens EVER! until i turned about 21. After ages of trying to work out what was wrong but was so confused as I always look after my skin and am an extremely healthy person. I then finally came to the realisation that it was hormones. I thought it was really weird that I just had all of a sudden started having acne issues at this age but apparently it is very common for females around my age to develop it especially if you never had problems with it during your teens. so I decided to go to Yasmin bc and after being on it for nearly 3 weeks im getting my confedience back with my skin. It really feels good. its starting to clear up alot i have heard it can get much worse before it gets better I havent experienced that yet hopefully I dont but I have to express my positive feedback with Yas,

Reviewed on March 9, 2012

I'm actually on Month 2 so I'm experiencing the horrible initial breakout that comes with the pill. I'm hoping by Month 4 (May) that at least some improvement will be shown as it will be my 21st birthday. I've always suffered from acne for almost 10 years now but it was slightly mild to moderate. Around puberty, I started to develop more pimples on my cheeks. Now I have pimples everywhere. forehead and cheeks and now my chin and even above my lip. I will send in an update around May. I pray that everything works out tho.

Reviewed on March 7, 2012

Ive never taken such a terrible pill in my life. I've always had a very high sex drive with my partner until taking these pills. On the 7th day of the monthly break from taking the pill did my sex drive start to come back so I know it's definitely this pill. I'm a very strong minded person and this pill makes me cry about everything which is definitely not me lol. I'm moody, angry and my anxiety is sky high. Never ever again.

Reviewed on March 6, 2012

PATIENCE is the main thing with birth controls. If by 3-4 months you're not satisfied, ya gotta switch. I've tried the Ortho Tri-Lo or whatever it is, and it did NOT like my face even after 4 months. So, I gave up. I've always had FLAWLESS skin. I was told YASMIN is a more skin-sensitive birth-control. My first month I've had no break outs. I'm half way through my second month and I have a few small pimples. I'm assuming this is just my body getting used to it. I have high hopes.

Reviewed on February 19, 2012

This pill worked wonders for me.

Before I started taking, I had irregular, heavy painful periods and mild - medium acne on my chin and lower face area.

I had painful sore and very noticable spots all around my mouth and chin which was very distressing having never suffered with spots ever before. I've been taking Yasmin since May 2011 and Since September 2011 I have had crystal clear skin! I still get the very very occasional spot around my period but overall my skin is perfect. I was 25 when I started taking yasmin. My skin initially got much much worse to the point that it was so sore and painful, the spots were impossible to cover with make-up. During the initial few months I combined yasmin with Isotrexin gel, which is a combination of isotretionin & antibiotics used to treat acne. This gel helped manage the bad few months I had, but now I dont need to use it. Do not suffer with your acne, please try Yasmin, it has worked for me and its hard going but you have to stick it out (be patient)!! Oh and now my periods last for 1 day and are painfree and light! Bonus!

Reviewed on February 9, 2012

If you are a healthy young woman (meaning you do not smoke, consume a lot of alcohol, and/or eat a lot of junk food) this pill could be the best one for you. These pros and cons are from my experience but remember; every pill affects every woman differently.

Reviewed on January 31, 2012

I'm only on my second month but seriously considering giving up.

In my first few weeks on being on Yasmin I couldnt eat breakfast (i take the pill just before i got to bed) and was hospitalised on one occasion when i fell unconscious and had a mini-seizure (im only 17)

Nausea has gone now, but read so many bad medical problems arising from this I dont want to continue, but also dont want to experience the breakouts people are having from quitting (im still in the bad breakouts from being on it!)

My face is sore, puffy, red and due to a skin/joint condition i have its increasing my scarring (and giving me more sports to scar!)

It has now spread all over to my back and I've never had it this bad, most of them are really painful.

Going to dermatologist for other alternatives.