Page 3 of Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 714 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Reviewed on September 9, 2012

My 16 year old was put on Yasmine and Aczone for moderate to mild acne. She also had a somewhat irregular period and cramping.

The period symptoms went away quickly and she had NO side effects such as weight gain. moodiness etc but The first month her skin broke out a little more but by the middle of month 2 she had many breakouts where she never had them before like on her cheeks. They were deep, large, red breakouts that took awhile to heal. The Aczone did not work at all but benzoil peroxide seemed to help.

I asked the doc to the give her an antibiotic, Solodyne and now she is beginning her 4th pill pack and she has no new pimples. She is healing a couple from month 3 and has some red marks but all in all her skin is MUCH better. We hope to get her off of the Solodyne in the next couple of months so hopefully the Yasmine will work well on its own or just with some topical treatments.

Reviewed on July 27, 2012

I gave this a somewhat awful review before after taking it for 8 days however I have seen great improvement in my acne and oily skin. The only prob I have so far is that a few days ago I noticed that one of breast is larger than the other since taking Yasmin( right one is larger) and my breast is a little tender to the touch. I know our left and right size is different in size but I look at my boobs everyday since I got them and they were never bigger than the other noticeably of-course. I am about 4 days away from finishing the first pack I will continue to monitor the growth even though my face is clearing up pretty fast its not worth the one bigger breast, if it was both of them growing then that would be a bonus for me because I dont have large breasts. If it continue I might have to switch to Diane 35 which I dont really want to because this pill is great so far only the breast issue. Is this happening to anyone else will it go back to normal or will the small one catch up?

Reviewed on July 18, 2012

Ive only been taking this pill for 8 days now so maybe its too early to tell what the outcome will and should be but the side effects are getting the best of me. I went to the gym yesterday vomit like crazy(brought everything I had for lunch) I am really wondering if this is all temporary I plan to finish the pack and see if I fell any better. I tired of sleeping on the job maybe because I take the pills in the morning I was advised to try taking it at nights

Reviewed on July 2, 2012

This is my second time on Yasmin, both times I went on it for a mixture of wanting to ease my periods and clear my acne. This time round I have only been on it two weeks and my skin is clearing, last time I was on it I saw results in 1-2 months.

I came off in January 2012 after a year and half on it, my doctor thought it was aggravating my migraines (turns out I had a food intolerance instead). The side effects coming off were terrible - panic attacks, anxiety, severely heavy periods and a gradual return of my acne. I am much happier being on it and it is a birth control that works for me in all aspects.

This pill is not suitable for everyone, if your acne is not hormonal related it is likely to make things worse. If you're over 35 and smoke, have a history of clots and/or severe migraines it is also not recommended.

To conclude, if you think your acne is linked to your periods and do not have health issues that would make it unsuitable then you may want to ask your doctor about this option.

Reviewed on June 8, 2012

I have been on Yasmin for a month now and the first two weeks I thought this was a miracle pill. My skin cleared up very fast and was less oily. I have started month two and I now have HORRIBLE cystic acne around my chin. It's very painful and embarrassing. I'm hoping it will clear up around month three because I can not take this. Although I haven't had any weight gain which is a positive!

Reviewed on May 9, 2012

Before taking this pill I used sudocrem which cleared up my skin almost completely, when I started taking yasmin my skin became spotless! However, I immediately noticed an increase in my appetite and I generally felt down all the time despite usually being quite a cheery person. I carried on taking the pill for over a year until I gave up. I am a student at university and I'd lost all motivation and was convinced the pill was involved. Since coming off of it I have suffered terrible mood swings, irregular periods and quite bad skin breakouts.

I wouldn't recommend this pill at all! It may give you clear skin but it's not worth all the other stuff, coming off of it isn't easier either!

Reviewed on April 23, 2012

Funny thing, I used to take this OC for almost ten years then had our baby and now my body can just not handle this one at all anymore. For improving skin, I can not recommend it anymore. My skin used to be ok before. Now my chin and jawline are full of cystic, painful pimples. I am tired and moody.

I didn't gain weight though...which is good.

The other side effects are even worse than the breakouts...not the BCP for me.

Reviewed on April 11, 2012

After years of grief, I finally consulted the doctor when I was 20 complaining of very heavy, irregular periods, big mood fluctuations and persistent adult acne which was bringing down my self esteem.

I was on Yasmin for about a year and it was the first pill I tried. After a few months I noticed that my skin was a lot less oily and much clearer than it had been in years! I was absolutely over the moon. For the first time since puberty I actually an element of control over my menstrual cycle and I felt so much better about my skin. The only downside was that my menstrual cramps had become unexpectedly severe, but I figured I could live with it considering how much happier I was with everything else.

Unfortunately in my case, the happiness didn't last for much longer. Fast forward a few more months and I unexpectedly gained a load of weight, constantly needed to pee, was perpetually constipated, and I was plagued by dry, flaky skin on my hands, face and scalp. The dry skin on my face even brought back some of the acne, which understandably was a big disappointment. It was what I was trying to get rid of in the first place!

I returned to the doctor to describe my symptoms and he seemed quite surprised to hear about them. But sure enough, once I came off Yasmin, absolutely all of the above problems completely disappeared in under a month. The weight just fell off me. It really was bizarre.

To be perfectly honest it wasn't a complete waste of time because I really was content for a few months. I know there are some horror stories on here but if your doctor thinks that Yasmin might be worth a try then you can always dump it like I did, should it turn out not to be right for your body chemistry. As for me, I'm now 22 and still looking for the right pill. I've been given Dianette which could be a miracle cure or complete disaster! Ho-hum.

Reviewed on April 9, 2012

Bottom line is I would STRONGLY advise finding another method of birth control/acne prevention, anything really besides this drug. Not only are there obvious possible side effects such as the blood clotting, but I could not believe the emotional roller coaster I was on while on this medication. I was seriously considering going to therapy for depression ad anxiety because I could not understand why I was always feeling so anxious and having weekly meltdowns for no reason. Since switching I have an actual appetite, I am remarkably happier, have less acne and a much warmer body temperature! I understand there are risks with each oral contraceptive you choose, I just highly advise otherwise especially if it's simply for acne prevention!

Reviewed on March 28, 2012

i have mixed feelings about this pill.i am starting my 3rd strip now and so far,and my skin is experiencing a bit of a rollercoaster ride,with unexpected breakouts in uncommon for me areas like the cheeks which i always had clean.as for me the mood swings are the WORST.they are starting to destroy my relations with my boyfriend and the worst thing is-i just cannot control them. hopefully,these are only initial and both my mood and skin will get bettet in month 3/4!