Yasmin Oral Contraceptives

Average price: $26.19

Brand: Yasmin

Most helpful review

By Holly, Maryland on 02/29/2008

I love Yasmin I have been on it now for only 2 weeks. I was on Yaz a lower hormon level pill that didn't help my acne and I took it for 4 months. But Yasmin has been such a great help wtih my acne. Now I only get 1 or 2 pimple here and there where as Yaz I was having major break outs day in and day out with no refiel. I don't have the mood swings or break threw bleeding either. I love this pill and recommend to it anyone looking to clear up your skin using birth control. Also if you have a good doctor they can write you a RX for 3 months worth at a time so you wont have to go back so much..

Pros:
  • It work well with acne and it works fast
Cons:
  • None so far

18 out of 26 people found this review helpful

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Member reviews

By on

I was really optimistic about trying this...I have had acne issues for about 12 years (since I was 12), and I thought maybe this would help out while at the same time regulating my period (which is why I went on it in the first place). HOWEVER, within several months, my face looked AWFUL. I was so upset, because my skin had been pretty consistently clear...just a little breakout around TOM, and some oilyness. Also, in the past I have only dealt with whiteheads and smaller zits...this gave me huge, angry, red pustules.

I told my dermatologist that I thought it was the yaz my gyno had prescribed; she waved that off, saying yaz was good for skin and that couldn't be the problem.

After I broke out in a horrible, itchy rash over my entire body, I went back to the gyno, who took me off of it. Sure enough, within a month, my skin had markedly improved and was back to normal after about six months.

Pros

• Boobs bigger, periods regular for the first time

Cons

• Made very mild acne into a terrible, crazy mess
  • light
  • for about a year
  • $ 40
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

After dealing with moderate acne for over a year using Levlen BC pill...I finally switched to Yasmin and now have light and manageable acne after 4 months and I hope it will get even better. The improvement was rapid and I felt and looked much better after 2 months. I would recommmend switching to this if you are on a traditional pill and dealing with bad acne - chances are that the problem is hormonal.

Pros

• Decreased acne noticeably and quickly, effective birth control, light short periods

Cons

• pre-menstral moodiness and tension not improved.
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've heard so many great reviews about Yasmin so I was ecstatic when my doctor put me on it. However, my skin was NEVER this bad before starting Yasmin and I've never broken out this badly. I've used this product for seven weeks now and people usually say they being seeing results after 2-3 months, so I guess I'll stick it out a little longer and see how it turns out.

Pros

• Made my boobs bigger.

Cons

• I keep breaking out very badly and my pimples are not going away, my boobs are extremely sore the week before and week of my period, I've gained a bit of weight and I have frequent mood swings. I am often depressed and now have poor self-confidence.
  • moderate
  • for a few months

By on

In fairness, I've only been using Yasmin for seven weeks and it sounds like it takes three months to really understand how it works with your body. But here are my observations thus far:

1. In the first few weeks, my skin went completely crazy. Acne everywhere, even on my forehead (I absolutely never break out on my forehead). A few weeks later, I have a few emerging pimples but for the most part, my face seems to be in healing mode.

2. My PMDD, which got pretty severe the day immediately before my period started, seems almost completely gone. The difference between my last period before Yasmin and the first one on it was pretty obvious. Very very light and manageable, so I'm ecstatic.

3. Body changes: slightly larger chest and more resilient nails. No real changes in my hair yet.

So, I'm pretty pleased with the results so far, but I'm getting pretty impatient about my skin. It does seem like I need to give it at least another month to be fair though, so I'll writ

Pros

• Much lighter periods, PMDD seems to be subsiding, (some) reduction in acne

Cons

• Still seem to be some breakouts, skin is unpredictable
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

if you know when your body needs food, as opposed to when it wants it you will be fine. i have been on it for about 2 months in the first month i gained a kilogram but dropped it virtually straight away.

Pros

• bigger chest, clearer skin, healthy hair, no cramps, regular periods

Cons

• dry skin, increased appetite
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I love this birth control!!! =)

Pros

• Clear Skin,no cramps,bigger boobs, no pregnancy

Cons

• strange pain in legs, increased appetite
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • $ 19
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used the generic, Ocella. I gave this pill 3 months,and it came through wonderfully. Months 1 and 2 were rough, but my skin has not had any new breakouts in month 3.

I was having bad mood swings, but happened to get a blood workup from the doctor and found out my Vitamin D was EXTREMELY low. I started taking prescription Vitamin D supplements about the time my 3rd month of Ocella started, and the mood swings went away completely, and now my skin is clear.

I'd recommend this to anyone who has hormonal acne.

I'm 26 years old.

Pros

• Cleared Skin, No pregnancy

Cons

• Frequent Urination, moodiness at first, but subsided -- see Bottom Line
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

The pill is good....but i never had a pimple on my face and now its like a disaster...but then it has only been 3 weeks ive been on it...hopefully it'll get better!!.......BUT i love not having mood swings cuz according to my husband .........i use to have PMS all the time...

Pros

• Nails and hair are healthier.....mood swings have decreased

Cons

• LOTS of ACNE...lots of bloating........appetite has increased ..
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had tried Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo before Yasmin & I had a lot of issues with feeling sick in the morning, my face seemed to break out even more while I was on it - so at first I was quite hesitant to try Yasmin ( I was worried it would have a similar effect). However! Am I glad I tried it! Within 3 months (almost to the day) my skin has cleared up. Before, I used to get huge, painful cystic pimples & now I have absolutely nothing ( I have a a SINGLE small pimple and it went away in 2 days!) I no longer have cramps & my periods have been bang on every month. Im really happy I tried this birth control & although the side effects are different for everyone - I would definitely try Yasmin to combat your acne!

Pros

• Clearer skin! ; little to no cramps, shorter & lighter periods, barely any weight gain, bigger boobs

Cons

• Mild headaches (for the first week I took Yasmin - they went away by the end of the week), spotting before period ( only for the first 2 months)
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I gained 7lbs on this pill because my appetite was crazy, but it calmed down and i've managed to lose the weight now. Have tried 4 other pills and didn't gain any weight on them. My mood is really low, probably depression but not sure if I can put this down to the pill or not, thought it's definitely had some effect. I've never suffered from acne (just found this site by chance) but my skin is really dry since using this pill, and I have more spots than before, although still not many. I am going to stick with this because i've tried so many others and this has the least side effects of them all! I would recommend it but obv everyones body reacts differently!

Pros

• Not pregnant! No headaches, sickness or mood swings like with other brands,

Cons

• Depression, weight gain, more spots, dry skin
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.