Page 2 of Yasmin Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.3/5 - 718 reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Active ingredients:
Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients (yellow tablets): Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide USP, talc USP, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF.

White inert film-coated tablets
Ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose USP, talc USP, and titanium dioxide USP.

Made my acne 100000 million times worse
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

Before I started this pill I didn't suffer with skin as badly as I do now. I had mild acne, however this caused severe cystic acne especially around my jaw it was horrendous. My derm told me to stop it was causing so much harm.

my experience on ocella-generic version of yasmin
Reviewed on August 3, 2013

About three years ago I got the Mirena IUD put in and this was the worst thing to ever happen. Right after I started getting horrible break outs and I never broke out in the past. So finally three months ago I go it taken out. My gyno recommended that I get on the pill because it helps with acne. So I started taking ocella (generic version of yasmin) my skin has been a little rocky and is no where near perfect. I'm about to go into my fourth packet and I feel like my skin isnt the best it could be. I am going to wait and see but I am tired of feeling self conscious about my skin!

Could have killed me and makes acne worse afterwards
Reviewed on August 1, 2013

I took Ocella (generic Yasmin) from the ages of 19-23. Before that I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo from the ages of 16-19. I only was put on the Yasmin because when I tried to quit Ortho I broke out terribly (only ever had mild acne). What they don't tell you is that when you go OFF birth control pills, your acne often gets MUCH worse than it ever was, because it does such unnatural things to your hormones. Google around and look at the acne after the pill thread on here, you will find a million horror stories of women who took the pill, went off, then developed severe cystic acne.

After about 4 years on Yasmin I noticed that I couldn't think straight, always had debilitating headaches, and my muscles were weak even though I worked out a lot. My doctor said that the Yasmin was causing my migraines, and that developing migraines while on the Pill meant I was at an increased risk of having a stroke.

Stopping it was hell. I had no idea what I was getting into. I lost at least 1/3 of my hair and had a receding hairline. My hair started growing in gray in places. I had uncontrollable acne that did not respond to BP or extreme elimination diets and supplements. It took about 6 months before my body started feeling normal-ish again and a year before I tamed the acne with Atralin (a brand of tretonin).

Don't mess with this stuff, or any pill. Try the copper IUD or some other non hormonal method if you need BC. It is just not worth the risk to your body and skin.

by staceyf on 05/08/2014 11:23
did your hair grow back? hairline back to normal? I am experiencing the same problem
by glitznzits on 08/08/2014 16:59
oops! i forgot the password to that acct. so I made a new one... yes my hair grew back, that is the good news :) I started seeing baby hairs growing in at about 6 months and 6 months after that they were long enough that my stylist cut them and some of my normal hair into bangs, and you couldn't tell at all.
Yasmin and acne
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Just stick with it!!

I have suffered from terrible acne over my t-zone area from around the age of 15 (now 22) and have used dianette on/off for years. Over christmas my acne flared up again, probably worse than ever so decided to go on dianette again. However, I had recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism so was advised to try yasmin. The first three months were terrible in fact my acne got a lot worse, but as soon as i started month 4 things very quickly began to improve and by month five my skin is basically crystal clear soo much clearer than with dianette!! So if you can just make it past the first 3 months you will begin to see signs of improvement!!

by Hmusic on 07/25/2013 18:56
Hi thanks for your comment, I have just finished my first month od yasmin and my skin is really bad. A lot worse than what it was when I started. Its affected my right check, my jaw line and neck!!! I just don't know what do do throw the towel in or keep at it for another few month!! Did you take a break between packs? I've been advised not to
by joh0506 on 07/28/2013 18:40
Hi thanks for this comment, I also used Yasmin for almost 2 months now my pimples get worse especially on my chin and I also experience deppression. but still Im hoping that Yasmin pill will help me cure my acne. I used Dianne 35 before and it has cleared my acne but my problem is I cannot have that pill here in UAE because it is banned now so I dont have any choice but to use Yasmin because this is the only alternative pill I know that treat acne. I hope after 5 months I can have a good result.
by joh0506 on 07/28/2013 18:43
I also read that Fucidin Ointment can cure acne I want to try it also ,anyone who knows about this ointment??Or used this before??
Maybe not...
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

Took this Birthcontrol for probably close to 2 years. I would say it reduced my acne to some degree, but nothing that I was ever super impressed with. I stopped taking this birth control though. It actually made me quite sick. Severe mood sings, horrible chest pains, continuous head aches etc.... All of which went away after stopping this medication. I also gained weight on this.

Yasmin- try it it worked for me!
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

After trying and failing to treat my acne with Zineryt and Tetracycline, both which severely dried my skin out, it was suggested that I go on the pill to treat my acne. My acne was not cystic, but instead consisted of very small whiteheads that covered my entire face and back, leaving my skin bumpy, red and greasy.

There was no immediate difference, but in 6 months I noticed a drastic improvement and within a year 90% of my acne had gone. Yes it took a year, but all the redness, bumps and whiteheads went, leaving only some scars and slight red pigmentation which it fading. I never picked my spots anyway so I think that also reduced the amount of scars 'left over'.

I was 18 when I went on Yasmin, and I am now 20 and have been taking it for 2 and a half years. Some people may argue that I went on it when I reaching the end of puberty anyway, but my sister went on it at 16 for medical reasons and it cleared up her acne as well. When she went off it at 18, her acne returned (although not as severely) so I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are a teenager or in your early twenties.

I continue even now with washing my face with Johnson's 'Clean and clear' blackhead cleaning scrub, and rub sudacrem on my 'problem areas', so my forehead and around my nose. I am planning on taking it for at least 2 more years, till I am sure that puberty has finished as I think my acne was probably hormonal. I started getting acne when I was 14, and it took 4 years before someone suggested the pill as a treatment and I am so glad it tried it. Yes it takes time, but my acne hasn't returned since so that proves to me Yasmin is still working.

One thing I will mention is yes- Yasmin did trigger some mood swings (as in occasionally made me feel wayy more emotional) and yes I did put on weight- about half a stone. However I did put on weight straight to my boobs and butt so I was lucky in that respect but I think this varies on the person! For me, all this was worth going through if my skin improved, which it did.

Reviewed on April 20, 2013

This totally works after a few months but again, it is not a permanent solution

Reviewed on March 9, 2013

Try it, but don't expect a miracle. Stop if you start gaining weight or your skin gets worse (with Dr.'s approval, I guess.) Don't believe it when anyone tells you the bp doesn't make acne worse.

Reviewed on February 12, 2013

This is a wonder pill for me! You have to at least give it 3-5 months to see the difference. For the first 3 months I had big cystic acnes on my nose that wont go away! I had them injected with a cortisone shot so that they'd go flat and they did! At the start of 4th month I saw a huge difference. I mean there were still scars from the previous pimples but there were no acne anymore. I can live with the scars since I can always cover them with concealer and buy a scar removal topical. :)

Reviewed on January 21, 2013

I have been on and off the pill for about 15 years. I have been getting acne for the last 3 years, which is odd for my age (30's) so my doctor prescribed Yasmin since I take the bcp anyway. I just finished the second month and I see no improvement yet. I am willing to give another few months since I noticed that a few people on here said they didn't notice a difference until about 4-6 months. Hopefully I will see a difference. Other than that, I can't complain, no side effects.