Page 3 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 794 reviews

Brand: Ortho

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Works for some but not me!!!
Reviewed on September 21, 2013

When I went on this pill the only reason was to control my acne. Several of my friends are on it and it has cleared them up. I am 16. When I started I knew that I only had a 1/3 chance of it working. 1/3 of people it works for. 1/3 it does nothing for and of coarse my category 1/3 of people it makes acne worse. I stayed on it for 3 months and I was told it takes about that long to work. However what I didnt understand was that in the 3 months that it takes to work my acne should not have become worse. There really shouldn't be an initial breakout from BCP's. Your acne might not get better however it should not cause your acne to exploded and get worse. Read the side affects from the maker or ask your gyno. I have seen my friends that it has worked for and that is why it is hard for me to rate it. If you are in the group of 1/3 that it works for than lucky you. This is just something you need to try and see if it helps. I also eat really well and am very very active. I put on 10 to 14 lbs and I couldn't budge that weight off me no matter what. It was to the point that I was barely eating and still no weight loss. I actually looked bloated all the time and the weight was all around my middle. I do at least 700 ab and core strengthening a day for my sport and I use to be cut but on the pill it wasn't possible. Again this is just how it effected my body. Once I was off I have just started to drop the weight doing nothing different except eating more but still healthy. I have never struggled with weight ever. I would say give it a try but if your acne gets worse stop because it's not for you. One of my friends that it works for also had a ten lb weight gain. She can't get it to budge so she is deciding if she should live with the 10 lbs or start over looking for a treatment that controls her acne but does put the pounds on some. There is no quick fix. I am having to learn the lesson of being patient and finding the treatment that will clear me up. It sucks but I think it will serve me well as a life lesson.

by jadore85 on 11/13/2013 17:17
hi! i hope you come back to read this. i too was experiencing the sam ethings you described. i didnt see results until after my sixth pack and it did break me out really bad, my doctor said this is normal is that these are merely breakouts that were beneath the skins surface. i also gained weight but it was water weight, you may want to increase your water intake and add exercise. i actually lost 20 lbs while on it after i realized i was retaining water. this motivated me to work out for and eat right. i still puff up in my belly during that time of the month and my right knee swells up to but my oily skin is under control and my acne a lot better. try again! also try epiduo, its great, i used that a few years ago and i plan to get back on it in 2014 when my new health insurance starts with my job
Too many people don't give this birth control a chance
Reviewed on September 19, 2013

I was really weary to try birth control at all because I thought I was going to gain a ton of weight from it, and reading reviews on here scared the poop out of me. I went ahead and started taking ortho anyways. The first month was God awful. I had horrible, horrible cystic acne everywhere. Even in places I never get acne. It hurt. It sucked. I was discouraged. I almost stopped taking the pills but my mother encouraged me to continue to take them for at least 3 months. By month 2 I did not get anymore acne, but still of course had scars from my past consistent acne and my severe bought in the first month. I'm on month 4 and still, no acne. My acne is clearing up and I'm just left with a few scars. I've been dealing with acute moderate acne for a year and now I can finally feel okay. I'm almost to the point where I don't have to hide myself behind layers of make up. I just want people to know that these pills definitely can work and have for me. The only downsides are the following: A) I get a little constipated on week 1 and week 2 and have to take a fiber supplement to keep things regular. B) During the second week I feel kind of bloated and gross, but it begins to go away by the middle of the third week and by the time the placebo week is over I feel normal again.

This pill will make you insanely hungry Month 1 but after that month my appetite has been normal and maybe even lessened. I took these pills because I had a severe hormonal imbalance from a past eating disorder, these pills have managed and regulated my hormones and I am very happy. OH and also my insurance pays for this bc completely and so that's also a super plus!!!!

Satisfied!
Reviewed on September 18, 2013

My face is less oily, it's helping my acne and I also have a great sex drive since i realky didnt have one to begin with:) but I am tired a lot and I have heavy bleeding if I missed a pill and not horrible but more intense back cramps.

Clearing me up
Reviewed on August 17, 2013

I'm 24 and have been experiencing acne on my jaw and lower cheeks for 2 years now. I started taking ortho partially to clear up acne. I really didn't have my hopes up because the doctor said it might not work for me though it is helpful for some people. I started my third packet two weeks ago and I have noticed that for the last two weeks my skin has been softer and that my jaw line has been less bumpy. I've been eating a normal diet but have not put in much effort to restrict cheese, milk, and chocolate yet the amount of pimples that come out continue to decline. I still have scars and red spots but the bumpiness has gone away. ANOTHER way I have been able to tell that ortho has helped me has been by using the biore pore strips. In addition to using them on my nose I would in the past use them on my cheeks and would remove a lot of sebum from all areas of my face. I used a pore strip this week and NOTHING came out from the cheek area and a little bit did on the nose so this is how i know that sebum production has decreased! So I did a little research and found out that the pill lowers testosterone levels which in turn decrease sebum production therefore causing less acne ;)

Happy with the results
Reviewed on August 6, 2013

I'm a 22 year old college student and I've been taking this pill for 7 months now. The main reason I decided to go on the pill was to get rid of my acne. I had moderate acne and I would use makeup to cover up my flaws and the scars it left behind. My acne would also get really bad when I was stressed in school. I had tried others and didn't seem to work so I decided to give it a shot. I still remember the first month I didn't see much improvement, on the contrary my acne got slightly worse but by the end of the second month I started to see results. As of now, I've gotten rid of 90 percent of my acne. I say this because I still have the occasional pimple here and there(especially when my period is coming). sometimes even 2 or 3 but it's not as bad as before and they go away pretty quickly within a day or two. I still wear makeup to cover up my acne marks but my skin doesn't break out like before. With the combination of a good face wash(morning and night) and this pill I've seen great improvement. I didn't feel like I gained any weight from this pill nor has it caused me to have any cravings. Didn't have any bad side effects. I wear contact lenses and didn't experience any issues in my vision. I think this pill is great and would recommend it to other girls. Don't give up. To any girl who feels discouraged: you should at least stick with it for 3 months to see complete results :) Hope this helped!

by morethanaconqueror on 08/20/2013 15:29
Do you remember what your intial breakout was like??
by VibrantUnity on 09/05/2013 06:13
the acne got significantly worse around my mouth and chin. large bumps but went away later on and didn't leave marks thank god. After that my face started to feel less oily.
SO HAPPY! :)
Reviewed on August 4, 2013

I went to my doctor really quickly to switch to a new birth control because the previous birth control I was on - Yaz - had a HUGE lawsuit against them from blood clots and people dying from it, here in Canada. So I URGE all women to please do some recent research on the birth control Yaz before considering. Coincidentally, my doctor had clipped out a newspaper article about Yaz and told me he was no longer prescribing it to anyone anymore. He switched me on tricyclen! I had really bad break outs all along my forehead, jaw line, cheeks and chin. Literally after taking it for the past THREE days my skin has drastically started to instantly clear up! I also have a lot of traveling to do this month for a wedding and I'm very happy my face has finally decided to clear up. I haven't had any mood swings or anything. My hormones have been so messed up after having my son 18 months ago and I can finally say I'm happy with my new birth control.

Horrible hormonal acne.
Reviewed on July 9, 2013

I began taking Ortho-tricyclen when I was 18 years old to prevent and combat any acne I had. i had very mild acne, usually on my forehead and around my chin and was wondering if birth control would help to prevent any more breakouts. However, 4 months into Orthotri, I started to develop cystic acne on my chin. Thinking maybe my body needed to adjust to this pill, I decided to stay on it for a year. Biggest mistake. Now I am left with horrible acne scars on my chin (about 8-9 dark spots) and more acne around the time of my period. Please do not take this pill. I greatly regret it and am desperately searching for a product that will help to prevent any more chin acne.

by anotherstar on 06/04/2014 22:45
exact same thing happened to me! i never had cysts until OTC and i was on it for years :(
Reviewed on May 18, 2013

I was very optimistic about this birth control pill (I have been on several over the years) because it's so widely recommended. However, with my hormones probably already out of whack - having the 3 weeks of varying levels of hormones made my skin horrible. I gave it 6 months and now at a month before my wedding I have decided to stop taking it and get back on Yaz. So far so good (fingers crossed).

Bottom line: if you struggle with hormonal acne, this is not for you.

Reviewed on April 25, 2013

I am 27 year old female. I had moderate to severe acne. I finally decided to take ortho tri cyclen. Within 3 months my skin has cleared up about %85. Also due to having such an hormonal imbalance I also have really greasy hair and dandruff. The pill has also put a stop to that as well. Now my hair feels fresh and clean all the time. If there is anyone out there who suffers from acne I would strongly recommend this pill. It seems that there is a %50 chance that it will work with your body. Definitely worth a try. Good luck!!!

Reviewed on April 16, 2013

Works like a charm. I was suffering from sudden, horrible cystic breakouts and none of the topicals and antibiotics I was taking helped. My derm put me on OTC and within two months my skin was clearer. I still get some minor PMS breakouts but nothing serious. I just wanted to throw a positive review out there since I've heard so many mixed things about birth control for acne...I'm assuming it's because people don't really ever leave positive reviews. 2 thumbs up!!