Ortho Tri-Cyclen Oral Contraceptive

Brand: Ortho

Most helpful review

By casslz9 on 04/16/2013
thumbnail

Works like a charm. I was suffering from sudden, horrible cystic breakouts and none of the topicals and antibiotics I was taking helped. My derm put me on OTC and within two months my skin was clearer. I still get some minor PMS breakouts but nothing serious. I just wanted to throw a positive review out there since I've heard so many mixed things about birth control for acne...I'm assuming it's because people don't really ever leave positive reviews. 2 thumbs up!!.

Pros:
  • Clear skin within two packs, brighter complexion, no more deep and painful cystic acne breakouts, larger breasts, and no pregnancy. AWESOME.
Cons:
  • I did get a little bit of an initial breakout from the first pack. I started on the generic on my first pac (Trinessa), then switched to the brand for my second pack and didn't experience any new breakouts outside of a few stray PMS zits. Not sure if the generic had anything to do with it. Brand name OTC is also a little more expensive at $30/month under my insurance. Slight weight gain from an appetite increase but nothing noticeable.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

White Tablet
0.180 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-, oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

Inactive ingredients:
Carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Light blue tablet
0.215 mg of the Progestational Compound norgestimate (18,19-Dinor-17-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-(acetyloxy)-13-ethyl-,oxime,(17α)-(+)-) and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna,1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3,17-diol).

FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, purified water and titanium dioxide.

Dark Green Tablet
Contains only Inert Ingredients:
FD & C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake, ferric oxide, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized corn starch, purified water, talc and titanium dioxide.

Member reviews

By on

I am 27 year old female. I had moderate to severe acne. I finally decided to take ortho tri cyclen. Within 3 months my skin has cleared up about %85. Also due to having such an hormonal imbalance I also have really greasy hair and dandruff. The pill has also put a stop to that as well. Now my hair feels fresh and clean all the time. If there is anyone out there who suffers from acne I would strongly recommend this pill. It seems that there is a %50 chance that it will work with your body. Definitely worth a try. Good luck!!!

Pros

• clears up acne
  • boobs bigger
  • is good contraceptive

Cons

• causes mood swings (only first 3 months)
  • can be diffuclt to lose weight
  • does lower sex drive
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• $ 30

By on

I took this pill last year, hoping to make my skin perfect. (I'm a bit of a perfetionist) My skin was always clear, every now and then would get the odd cystic pimple. I took this pill in order manage that, made my skin SO much worse. I'm still dealing with it 8 months later, my face has been ruined because of this pill. Biggest mistake I could of ever made, I cry about it at times. I hate this pill. Please consider other options before taking contraceptives, trust me.

Pros

• anti-baby

Cons

• Acne, need I say more?
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • $ 50
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had moderate acne prior to taking this birth control. It wasn't until the second week on the pill that my face started to react drastically. I started to get cystic breakouts all over my face: a lot along the jawline and also on my cheeks, where I never had acne before. My face was bright red and it was noticeably bad (my mom, who never comments on it, even asked me why my acne had gotten so bad). After two months on the pill, I decided to stop taking it because I could not handle it anymore. My face immediately improved and a week after I stopped taking it, I started taking Vitamin B5 and the vitamin Beta Carotene. It's been about 6 months now and my skin is perfectly clear!

To begin with, I was very skeptical about taking this birth control or any birth control, because of all the side affects and how unnatural it is. I suggest looking up the vitamins I mentioned and trying those first! Unless you're willing to bare through 8 months of severe acne, I wouldn't try Ortho Tri-Cyclen!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Major cystic breakouts
  • Moody
  • Weight gain
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 5

By on

I started this November 2011 and up until the end of December 2012 it had done great for my acne. My skin was the clearest it had been in years and I was getting a ton of compliments. Around New Years my face started to break out and now I have all this acne on my face again. Yes, I would usually get cystic zits on my face around my period, but this is that plus some. I'm still on it and using the topical Epiduo (As i have been the whole time). I made a doctors appointment to see what's wrong.

By on

Most of the time I have one or 2 pimples on my face which I can tolerate. However this past year I have had a chronic breakout all over my face, chest, and back, trying every routine & topical product available. I have been taking Tri-Cyclen for 12 years so I don't think it's to blame unless it combined with my young-adult hormone shift to produce chaos. Am switching to Diane 35 to give it a try (lower pregnancy protection but apparently stronger against acne).

Pros

• VERY effective birth control
  • no significant weight gain
  • never have cramps or irregularity

Cons

• seemingly no correlation to my acne
  • artificial hormones in my system
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 7
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been on this pill for 3.5 months, about to finish my fourth pack. I still have occasional breakouts, though it seems to slowly be getting better. I did not have acne before I started this pill; it GAVE me hormonal adult acne. I am simply sticking with it because of all the reviews that tell you to hang in there. I'm hoping next month is finally the end of this acne bull$&@!!

I went on the pill because I was previously on the patch and insurance stopped covering it.

If you don't have acne, STAY AWAY. I had perfect skin my whole life, now at 25 I all of the sudden have acne. My self esteem has taken quite a blow and I don't know how much more I can take. This month better yield clear skin, and fast.

Pros

• No weight gain
  • Seems to slowly cure acne

Cons

• Horrible initial breakout
  • Mood swings
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

i would recommend!

Pros

• cleared up my moderate to severe acne within 3-5 months!!! Period improved and was on schedule. NAME BRAND NOT GENERIC!!!

Cons

• mild cramps still but well worth it. skipped one pill and felt VERY nauseous for a two days.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 60
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Just because you're taking birth control doesn't mean you need to start having sex too, I started taking it specifically for my acne. I would reccommend birth control to even girls at a young age, because it helps regulate your body and helps you out a lot! Cleared my small pimples, so I actually had some clear skin, but I still had my cystic pimples. Also lightened my period a lot, which reduced my stress which also helped reduce my acne.

Pros

• Cleared smaller bits of acne.
  • Safe sex.
  • Regulated and lightened my period.

Cons

• Still got the big cystic pimples.
  • Must be really, really regulated.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This birth control really cleared up my skin a lot. I still get about 2 cysts and some small whiteheads around my period but no where near as bad as before. I went from moderate/moderately severe acne to light. I have been on 4 different birth control pills before and OTC cleared my skin the best out of all of them. There are definitely some cons but I think it is still worth taking to keep my skin clear.

Pros

• Cleared my skin about 75%
  • Increased my breast size
  • No mood swings

Cons

• Slightly longer periods
  • Breast tenderness for 1 week right before my period
  • Slightly decreased libido
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 5