Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

Average price: $13.38

Brand: Tetracycline

Most helpful review

By Felipe , Bogotá, Colombia on 01/23/2013

I'm a 25 y/o male, been struggling with moderate acne for the past 9 years. So far I've tried topical Erythromycin, Doxycycline, Salicylic acid, Vitamin A, Benzoyl peroxide in all its presentations, which I've used daily for 5 years or so. I finally decided to go to a proper derm 3 months ago who prescribed me with 1gr/day of Tetracycline, 10% BP, and a Calendula-based cleanser. It's been a tremendous experience, began seeing results after the second week, and completely cleared me up in eight weeks..

Pros:
  • Cleared me up 100% in 8 weeks (along with BP and cleanser)
  • No side effects on me whatsoever. (Took it with lots of water to avoid stomach issues)
  • The cheapest prescription I've ever purchased. 6 USD for 60 generic capsules.
  • Revealed scarring (which I've never noticed before for being constantly broke out)
Cons:
  • Had to take it on an empty stomach
  • Had to cease taking Milk Products
  • As with all antibiotics, your probiotic flora may be affected.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Member reviews

Used for a year, stopped working after 6 months

DO NOT TAKE THIS!!! I wish I could go back to before I took this and try natural diet and supplements as my skin has never been the same.

I also now suffer from digestion problems.

Pros

• Clear for 6 max months only

Cons

• Much worst than before I took this! Developed Cystic acne after this too
  • I developed digestion problems
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i have bad acne which does lower my self esteem quite a bit....The first week of using this was awesome. my cysts reduced dramatically and my face became less red. I have been on it for a little over 2 weeks. The last couple days i have been drinking a lot of milk (milk blocks the tetracycline) so it hasnt been working as much the last few days. it still is slowly improving. I am going to cut dairy from my diet completely to see what happens. The only side effect i am experiencing is that i have to fart like crazy after meals( i think its from the tetracycline

Pros

• Reduced huge cysts
  • works relatively fast

Cons

• can't drink dairy while on it
  • have to plan around a pill(small price to pay)
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Many side effects that I thankfully did not experience. Difficult to swallow those nasty capsules twice a day (on an empty stomach--requires timing), finally quit after it did not help my acne four months down the line.

Pros

• Very inexpensive

Cons

• Did not clear acne
  • Difficult-to-take capsules (inconvenient and VERY bad-tasting)
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 4
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

long term effects not worth short term fix. look into lifestyle and diet changes. was male in 30s when taking

Pros

• cleared up acne, but not worth long term results and potential intestinal damage

Cons

• was on it for a few years, then doxycycline, then minocycline. after stopping, acne immediately came back. ended up getting GERD, terrible bad breath, and ended up needing hemmorhoid surgery. then OCD got really bad. now spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars in ayurvedic treatment which is finally working. spend more time focusing on your diet and understand your own food allergies (wheat, dairy,etc). cutting out sugar and low-glycemic carbs is really hard, but helped clear up my acne
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 7
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Easy to take, and a good step up from benzyl peroxide. But, ultimately, did not make a huge difference, despite taking it for over a year.

Pros

• Reduced number of large cysts
  • Easy to remember to take
  • Some reduction of back acne
  • Relatively cheap

Cons

• Had no effect on blackheads
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i reccomend it! it works like a charm. it only takes about 8 weeks for it to completely clear it up which is a miracle! i will keep using it!

.don't have any dairy within an hour of taking it

you need to drink a lot of water to wash it down and eat something too

. you still need to wash your face and such!

Pros

• .cleared up my acne

Cons

• .made me really sensitive to the sun
  • .when i went off of it, my acne got really bad but now im back on it so my skin is clear again
  • .after reading other people's comments, im afraid after a while of using it, it will stop working!
  • light
  • for about a year
  • $ 20

DON'T DO IT

Pros

• I was on this for 2 years and it kept my skin clear until my body got used to it.

Cons

• Had to switch to a stronger antibiotic and then a stronger antibiotic again.
  • After stopping my antibiotic cycle my acne was worse than ever.
  • kills good bacteria and will leave you with only one thing-adult acne.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 10

By on

There isn't a bottom line I haven't already gone passed in all these years so I might as well go for it.

Pros

• I'm 49 years old & had mild acne for 36years. Because it's been mild but very constant doctors didn't do anything about it. Honestly, I've had around five weeks of clear-ish skin in the last ten years so I was desperate. Sick of spending ages applying my make-up to face the world every day, fighting off depression because of the on-going battle. Anyway, I skipped from the doctors today - practically singing, maybe these will work, then I read this site - am no longer positive, I feel like cr

Cons

• It might not work.
  • light
  • for a day or two
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It did nothing for me. I used it for about 3-4 months but I did not see any results at all. My acne did not clear at all so I stopped taking these pills. I still rate it with "2" because it did not make my acne worse as some other antibitics did.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Did not help at all
  • Have to take with lots of food
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

works fast, its a great product if you can handle the way it makes you feel for about an hr when you take your pill.

i used it for a month consitantly then if I felt like my face was becoming unclear i take it for about a week. must drink lots and lots of water!

Pros

• works fast
  • ckears skin

Cons

• makes you feel like your going to vomit
  • drys your skin out
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 20