Page 2 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1075 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Gave me false hope
Reviewed on January 29, 2014

I was so excited when I took my first pill. I thought finally! I will have clear skin! Nope, just made me feel sick.

TERRIBLE ALLERGIC REACTION!!! BEWARE!!!
Reviewed on January 29, 2014

Minocycline did absolute horrors to my body. After taking the pill for exactly a week with no noticeable side effects, I woke up one morning with tiny red bumps on my legs - they looked like bug bites. They kept getting bigger and bigger, and little did i know that a disaster was about to take place. Soon, this awful rash, which looked like a flesh eating disease, was covering all of my legs. I went to the ER and they told me i was experiencing an allergic reaction called erythema multiforme minor, and that i was reacting very badly to the drug. Needless to stay, they quickly took me off of this awful drug. Unfortunately, my doing so didn't cause the reaction to go away any quicker. I spent a week in bed with an unbearable itchy rash and awful joint pain to the point where i could barely walk. If youre already allergic to any other cycline drugs like doxycycline or tetracycline, DO NOT TAKE THIS!!!! Allergic reactions seem to be something that people overlook when considering antibiotics, but its really something to be extremely cautious about.

made acne a lot worse :(
Reviewed on December 26, 2013

I used it for about one and a half months but it didn't work at all...

Infact it has gotten much worse and it dried my skin out...

I got really bad headaches and belly ache (problems with my digestion ect.) from it and it made me feel even worse than before :(

Worked A Little and Then Stopped
Reviewed on December 20, 2013

I never had that bad of acne until four or so months ago. I started to get large cysts, instead of the small pustules, around my jawline and on my cheeks. I did what most people would do and go to the derma. He gave me Minocycline and Trentinoin. I used them religiously for about 3 months and my acne was slowly going away, but my oily skin never became less oily (I was expecting it to do so though). However, after about three months, this new type of acne started appearing, nodules, they were like cyst except had heads on them. I went back to my dermatologist and now I'm on Solodyn which is Minocycline but enhanced (I think). I'm still using the Trentinoin (It's quite nice for making my skin soft even if it doesn't clear my acne). I never had any side effects, but then again, I usually don't get side effects for anything. So overall, I would say this would probably work for some people, maybe with less severe acne, but not me. Oh well haha

Great (temporary) fix
Reviewed on December 11, 2013

This works really well, while you stay on it. Allowed me to have a clear fall term of freshman year (college) so I'm grateful to it, but it is not a long term solution. It is a bad idea to stay on antibiotics long term (they mess with your digestive system). To anyone considering antibiotics, be careful about one thing: for years I had mild-moderate acne and coped pretty well with it (I didn't let it affect my life much) the danger with antibiotics is that you lose all your coping mechanisms when they clear your skin and then when you go off them and your acne comes back...for me it was pretty devastating.

Good but doesn't last
Reviewed on November 14, 2013

I got a prescription for this in 2012, for four months. This initial phase worked really well. I used clindamycin solution as well as BP with this medication. They all seem to complement each other. After this phase, however, there was a period of really nice skin then the acne started coming back even worse. I was put on it again and it didn't have the same effects. My skin seemed to be really sensitive and the BP, clindamycin and this medication combo was too much for my skin. I would recommend if you have really sensitive skin to use this medication with a gentle wash. I also experienced dry lips with this, but nothing major.

Overall, take the medication for about 3-4 months and it will work well but it will not cure your acne problems completely.

BEST
Reviewed on November 12, 2013

This is the best acne product I had ever used by far. I could leave the house without makeup for the first time in 15 years after only a couple of weeks. I also didn't have the gastric side effects many people complain about. I never burn due to my skin colour, but I did receive a mild sunburn while on this medication. Unfortunately, after three and a half weeks I developed an allergy to the medication and had severe hives and swelling. I had to discontinue use and my skin became worse than before I took it.

Didn't work:(
Reviewed on November 12, 2013

Was given a 3 month prescription with high hopes, did nothing the entire 3 months, if anything made my skin worse!

I don't really know.
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

I was prescribed this by my doctor along with Clyndaminicin (spelling?) and Benzoyl Peroxide. I took 2 full prescription bottles of this and it did nothing. I ended up not taking them anymore, and my skin actually cleared up. This also made my stomach hurt a lot. /:

Great for the short run, but acne comes back
Reviewed on October 20, 2013

I was on minocycline for about a year, it cleared up my acne about 80% - but during that "time of the month", I'd still get about 2 cystic zits. Unfortunately you will either become resistant to this antibiotic or you'll be on it long enough for you to develop health risks... so I stopped taking it around the year mark. I stayed fairly clear for like 6 months past that, and then suddenly, I got the WORST CYSTIC BREAKOUT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I'm talking clusters of cysts like 10+ on my cheekbones and chin.... lasted weeks, some even 2 months..... I still have the scars on my face from that breakout..... now I am taking evening primrose oil (1000mg) a day and using a clay masque with sulfur (queen helene's mint julep masque) and my skin has finally relaxed. I have one spot on my face. Anyways, use this if you need a quick fix but by no means is this an acne "cure" cause your acne will eventually return much worse than before (my hormonal breakouts are now conglobata acne cysts, which I never used to get before taking this medication)...