Page 2 of Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 1240 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Just made my folliculitis so much worse
Reviewed on April 26, 2016

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks and my folliculitis is so much worse. Is it a case of it getting worse before it gets better. Help... please comment I need to know if it's worth continuing

by Peterkever5 on 04/28/2016 23:14
Don't stop so fast. It needs a few more weeks, maybe. Go ahead and use it. If it's not better after a few months from now, you can try another treatment.
by anonymous11 on 05/23/2016 08:57
I have been using it for about 6 weeks now.. still had a few breakouts, lots of small red ones but not so inflamed. my pharmacist said it can take 2-3 months to clear it up, is this true?
Miracle for me
Reviewed on April 18, 2016

About a year ago I started getting a horrible acne break out on my lower jawline and neck area. Nothing I could do was getting rid of it and I tried every name brand on the market. It was sore, inflamed, rash like, and made me want to hide my face in a bag. I have extremely extremely oily skin like every 2-4 hours I can wipe my face with a napkin and see through it kind of oily and I went though puberty early so I have always had some minor-moderate acne for most my life I am used to it. This was an entirely new thing it was horrible, painful, and both physically and mentally scarring to have people stop you an ask what is wrong with your face. I finally went to see my dermatologist and I almost cried in relief when he told me it was a hormonal issue rather than anything I was doing that caused my problem I went on doxy-cycline and a gel for about 6 months and it cleared up my issue like a dream come true. I am now off it for about 4-6 months and I stil have minor acne that I combat with witch hazel and tea tree oil but that is normal and When treated it heals and goes away and I'll take it over a rashy, painful, never ending acne attack any day. The scarring on my jawline is healing up nicely and the red blotchiness that had taken over my lower jaw has a year later almost gone away completely. I wish I could post before and after pictures just to show you how much it helped. While it might not help everyone it was litterally a blessing for me. I didn't have any negative side effects or issues with with it however side note the duac-gel they normally give you to apply topically along with the pill should be used ONCE a day to start out with like the Dr. prescribes do not be me and apply it liberally multiple times a day and think it will help more all you will do is dry the ever loving heck out of your skin and cause pain and massive flakiness take it from me. Also see a dermatologist sooner rather than later I can't help but think if I had gone sooner then I would have healed quicker and would had had less scarring that can only be healed by time.

Jaundice and hypoglycemia
Reviewed on April 3, 2016

I wouldn't believe this could happen but it did! My fifteen year old son has been under the care of a very conservative dermatologist for six months. We started with Epiduo which was completely ineffective. We then moved on to two topicals and doxycycline. The topicals didn't seem to be doing much after three weeks so I filled the doxy prescription. Within a few days my sons complexion looked 50% better, and after a month his face was nearly completely clear. Yes, initially he had some stomach upset, but took it the morning with scrambled eggs and a large glass of juice and had no trouble.

Leap forward three months: he's yellow tinged and sleeping all the time and his grades have dropped. Not suspecting the antibiotic, I took him to the pediatrician who ordered lab work. His glucose ( after lunch, no less) was 54 and his bilirubin count was high, explaining his sallow coloring. Common illnesses were ruled out, such as mono, thyroid,etc. After reading exhaustively about doxy, his only medication, I discovered that it is likely the cause of his symptoms. We stopped the medication and go for repeat blood work later this week. Fingers crossed that the liver problems are reversible.

As with any medication be vigilant when something seems "off".

better oil control
Reviewed on April 2, 2016

My derm prescribed this for me and it did help a lot to control my oily skin. However, I still got cystic acne bumps with this product, and that was a bummer. I then tried minocycline, but discontinued its use after four weeks. I started getting some side effects that I knew had to be from it, so I switched back. It wasn't worth it to me.

Works well but acne may possibly come back
Reviewed on March 26, 2016

I first took Doxycyline 100mg tablets once daily around 5 years ago (at age 16) and it worked really well. At that time I had teenage acne, not enough to scar deeply but I had more acne than the usual teen. It covered my whole forehead and started to grow on my cheeks as well. I was prescribed to use Cetaphil as a cleanser, Doxy as an oral treatment and Epiduo as a topical treatment. If I remember correctly, my acne became worse before getting better and my face was cleared up entirely by the 2nd-3rd month, so I continued the regimen for another 3-5 months. I didn't get any stomach pains or problems when taking Doxy and also didn't get any acne scarring. After about 8-12 months of taking Doxy and using Epiduo, I decided to stop the regimen because my face had already been clear for several months and I didn't want my body to depend on the medication so much. 5 years passed and my face remained clear, I did have a few pimples from time to time and the usual period pimples, but it wasn't bad at all. It was great having clear skin!

Unfortunately, 6 months ago I suddenly started getting constant breakouts on my chin area, this time they were cystic and much more painful than before (adult acne, I'd say). I thought it was because of stress but then it started to move onto my forehead and then onto my cheeks. I had to get it fixed so I decided to go back on Doxy and Epiduo, but it did little help for the 2 months I was on it. It definitely didn't improve my acne but it didn't worsen them either. Because my acne was still persistent, my dermatologist prescribed me to take a stronger antibiotic (which didn't work and gave me bad abdominal pains instead) since I didn't want to consider Roaccutane.

Just something to note also is that the Doxy might have made my acne stronger and more persistent the second time around. From what I understand, antibiotics hold back/hide acne but does not actually get rid of them, they are known to possibly make acne stronger and resistant, and are also quite harmful on the body.. so just my two cents, it wouldn't hurt to think twice if you are considering to take antibiotics to treat acne. As of now, I've decided to steer away from oral medications/antibiotics and instead using more topical and natural, organic regimens which so far, has actually really helped with healing my acne. Anyways, I hope this review will be helpful to someone, and good luck!

Did not work for me. Made it worse.
Reviewed on January 28, 2016

I have been taking doxy for a little over a month. Prior to taking doxy my acne was not that bad i would 1-3 spots that would stay under my skin and stay there for a month before they popped. I was so happy hearing the results and excited. The first 3-4 weeks my acne had never been this bad ever i was getting spots i had never had before in places i never had. Whats worse when these spots popped they left a red mark which hasnt left my skin yet. I have 4 of these marks/ former spots on my face. On the 5th week i had cleared up by 20% and i thought hey now its gonna work. But no woe is me and now on the 7th week i have these red rashy patches on y left cheek and 5-6 spots on my right cheek. I will continue to use it for 3 months but its made it worse so far :/ did not help that i have eczema too.

If not working, try a different route :)
Reviewed on December 30, 2015

Little background: It was the end of my Junior year in high school and I got extremely extremely bad acne. It covered my ENTIRE face. I couldn't run my hands over my skin or even wash it without wincing in pain. I became deeply depressed over the summer and barely left my room. I knew I needed help and my mom took me to the doctors. They said I had severe acne and needed medication to help clear it. The first medication I had been on was doxycycline. I was on that for about 4 months and things got clear, not completely but enough. I decided to get off but of course, the acne came back. So I revisited my doctor and got prescribed minocyline and a birth control. I liked mino much better than doxy, one less pill and easier on the stomach. Finally I went to the doctors again for a check up and they decided to check my blood. I have irregular hormone levels, which was causing the acne. In order to correct the levels I needed a medication of course. So I was prescribed spironolactone! I have been on this for about 4 months and absolutely love it. It is 100 times better than any other medication I have tried. It took awhile to get started, maybe 3 months. But my skin was clear, no bumps, no cysts. One thing I would recommend is not waiting to refill.. The past week I forgot and haven't taken the pill in 5 days, and I now have multiple breakouts and cysts around my chin.. Of course I am discouraged but have faith that the pill will fix it all up quickly :)

Dry skin?
Reviewed on November 26, 2015

Ive previously been on this medication a year or two ago but I then stopped because I wasn't getting any results. Recently I have started talking this with an epiduo cream. This time I got results the next day, not sure if it has anything to do with that or that I changed my cleanser from cetaphil to neutrogena. Although on the first day I did have very red skin that subsided during the day, despite this I chose to put it on again the next night because I've used both medications before with no side effects I assumed they were one offs. Now my skin is dry and peeling in weird places like under my eyebrow, I'm not sure if this has to do with my medication because I didnt put any cream under my eyes brows. Wondering if anyone else is on the same regime as me and if they are experiencing any of this. I suppose the dry skin is not that bad but as being oily skinned I don't usually get dry and it's quite bothering to suddenly start.

by Owais on 01/22/2016 22:23
I have been suggested recently the same cream and Doxycycline and the same cleanser. I have the same symptoms of dryness like you.
by hw224211 on 02/02/2016 01:32
Hi, I just started the doxy & epiduo today as well. How have things cleared up since this post? & what did you use to moisturize?
It gets worse but then it gets better!
Reviewed on November 26, 2015

I started Doxycycline when my acne came up out of no where. My GP prescribed me 50ml a day, as well as the pill (Diane). A week into taking Doxy, my skin got ALOT worse. I read that this would happen but I was not prepared for how bad it would get. My acne was now mostly cystic and I was waking up with 5 new pimples every morning. I went back to my GP and he put me on 100ml once daily to fasten the process. I stuck with the Doxy even though my skin was horrible. I am now 6 weeks in and my skin has improved dramatically. I am now 95% acne free, only left with a few small pimples around my jawline. My advice would be to stick with Doxycycline even if you feel that it's not working. I promise this antibiotic does work, it just takes time and patience. I also changed my makeup to mineral powder instead of liquid foundation and I also found that helped a lot. I also stopped using expensive face washes and bought cetaphil which helped as well. Stick with Doxy, make a few simple changes, and I promise you will see results!!

by anonymous11 on 04/26/2016 04:40
Would that also apply for folliculitis? I was prescribed doxy for that. It has made it a lot worse 3 weeks into taking it.
The worst decision of my life
Reviewed on November 24, 2015

My doctor gave me this without giving me any warnings of any consequences, even though I asked.

First few months it was great, my skin was perfectly clear. I thought it was great. Then I started becoming severely depressed. I started having suicidal thoughts and couldn't concentrate on anything. Acne appeared all over my back and a bit on my chest too, which I had never had before. It had only been on my face. As soon as I stopped taking them I felt complete mental relief and after a few weeks I felt normal and happy but I was extremely unhappy because of the acne on my back and chest. It has been around six months since I stopped the antibiotics and I am still getting some acne on my back and I get it on my face to. It's going to take a long time for the acne to stop and for my skin to fix the scarring :(