Page 2 of Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1199 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Good at first but nah...
Reviewed on May 14, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline for my acne for 2 weeks. It was great at first as I saw my acnes drying but on the 2nd week I think my acnes develop resistance and it came back with much worst breakouts. Don't ever trust antibiotics

DOXYCYCLINE AND ALL ANTIBIOTICS FOR ACNE ARE DANGEROUS
Reviewed on May 13, 2014

When I was 26, I saw a dermatologist for persistent cystic acne and doxycycline was the first line of defense. I saw great results and after six months, she told me to take the pill every other day and wean off. After a few days of weaning, I developed a terrible, golfball sized cyst on my shoulder that took weeks to rupture, days to drain, and months to heal. I was prescribed to take DOUBLE to dose of doxy to clear it up, and then revert back to my usual once daily. And with that, the prescription was never addressed again. I continued taking doxy, 100mg once daily, for five years. I never had any side effects and honestly it did work very well for a while in tersm of my acne...

Around year four, the effects started to wear off. I was no longer seeing a derm as the specialist copays were too high and I was not receiving the kind of attention to warrant paying the cost when a derm would take hours out of my day and $60 out of my pocket to literally glance at my face and refill my rx, so I was now having the medication managed by my primary care physician. I told the PCP that I thought the doxy was losing its effectiveness. She simply parroted the routine to me about how doxy is the best, most effective antibiotic out there and the only other option would be to see a derm. Occasionally I would see a new dem, and the same song and dance always: antibiotics and harsh topical treatments.

As the acne started getting rampantly worse, I changed my diet. I eliminated dairy completely and started eating mostly gluten free. I had always been good with water, fruits and veggies, and vitamins, but now I was switching over to all organic, nonprocessed foods and trying to add homeopathic solutions to my rapidly failing regimen of doxycycline and retinoids,

And then the worst of the worst happened. After a particularly stressful year, where I moved out of Florida to Georgia, I experienced my first winter, and the perfect storm hit. I had always had one t four cysts at a time, and whiteheads, but I had never scarred, and I have never experienced anything like the acne I was starting to get. Without my knowing it, I was harvesting a superbug in my system with the prolonged use of antibiotics. And the retirnoids and exfoliators that had been, unbeknownst to me, causing tiny tears in my skin, were being exposed to their first long stretches of indoor heating, so my face started essentially bubbling off with infection. In November 2013 I developed severe abscessed cellulitis - an ABSCESS ON MY FACE. It was about the size, shape, and depth of my pinky, right across my cheek starting at the nose going down at a diagonal. And the whole rest of my face was purple and inflamed, with white heads and cysts all over. My face would crack when I would talk, smile, eat, or laugh, and pus would ooze out. The abscess was the worst for this. The gaping holes in it were the size of pencil erasers and would SQUIRT green pus and fluid when I would smile. I could literally see the mounds of infection in my peripheral vision. People stared at me in public like I had leprosy. It was like this until March. I put humidifiers in every room of my house cranked up to 70% humidity, and had to take Bactrim for two months plus use topical mupiricin. In case you don't know, this is how they treat MRSA.

I saw a very expensive doctors and after spending a few grand on tests (with insurance -- and I am by no means a wealthy person) it was concluded the following:

1. Prolonged antibiotic use had created a superbug.

2. All of my good gut flora had been demolished and I had in its place a severe overgrowth of bad bacteria.

3. My entire body was affected, from my hormones to my endocrine system.

4. I was not absorbing mot of the nutrition I was eating.

5. My body was not processing fiber, even though I eat it in large amounts.

6. I have fungal infection covering most of my body.

7. I now get yeast infections and severe facial scarring, which I never had before.

8. My immune system sucks and I get sick all. the. time.

9. I also cannot enjoy the things I once did, like pizza or beer, without severe consequences both to my face and to my entire body which experiences flu-like symptoms and extreme fatigue at the slightest provocation.

So now I am taking the long, slow, expensive road toward fixing my body after what doxycycline did to me. The bad breakout and abscess are thankfully gone now and I have started going out into the world again after spending many months at home (I work from home so thank god I did not have to be somewhere when I was a dripping pus-faced monster). I have to take so many pills a day that I feel like an AIDS patient, and my immune system sucks almost as badly as one. I am constantly wary of infections, anywhere in my body, and have already had to get a severe cyst removed from my shoulder (in the exact same spot where the one mentioned earlier in this post was originally). I battle infections of yeast and bacteria on the regular, including but not limited to my vagina. I have to be meticulous about my diet, hygiene, and the hygiene of those around me. Even cuddling is a chore because I cannot lay my face on any surface that is less than immaculately cleaned and sterile. I am currently undergoing a regimen to try and kill what is living inside me while repopulating my good gut flora, so I have been taking one hardcore antibiotic or another in round for months. Side effects of these antibiotics include making me sluggish and stupid, and incredibly forgetful, and it scares me sometimes how much my BRAIN is being affected by this. Also, I get my periods every 21 days. Or sometimes 35 days. It's impossible to say. Going back on birth control is next, since the hormonal medication I've been taking since this mess started isn't really helping...

This is what happens when people take antibiotics for prolonged periods. It WRECKS YOUR BODY AND YOUR BRAIN. And it is SO IGNORANT to think "oh well I will just switch to another class of antibiotics then because who cares?" You SHOULD care. Go google resistant bacteria and the fact that overuse of antibiotics is putting humanity on the brink of a second dark ages where routine infections go back to killing us because we have nothing that can kill them. There hasn't been a new class of ABs in decades and once you have run through them all, you are screwed. Is acne really worth it? You think your acne is bad? Try having a DRIPPING, GAPING ABSCESS ON YOUR FACE FOR FOUR MONTHS. Try looking like burn victim now. Try living your life feeling ill all the time and being poisoned by everything you come into contact with because you ruined your immune system and god knows what is living inside of you. Dermatologists who prescribe antibiotics as their first line of defense against acne should be shot, and people who are ignorant enough to take them and just assume they can afford to burn through every class of antibiotics are contributing to the dissolution of our species when the bacteria finally win.

Have a nice day.

Made my moderate acne worse.
Reviewed on May 8, 2014

I was taking Erythomycin prior to taking Doxy and had seen great results with that, it really clear my skin to the point where I was wearing very little make-up and stopped crying everytime I looked in a mirror. Unfortunately, as with all anti-biotics, my body got used to it and it started to have no effect and the acne creeped back. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me Doxy which seems daft seeing as the positive effects don't last but I was so upset with my looks, I just wanted it to go away. Anyway, it did nothing, not even for a short time and then all of a sudden, I started getting spots on my forehead and chin whereas before they were just on my cheeks. I've never had spots on my head/chin and they were so so sore (the massive, hard ones that ache and stay for months!). Needless to say, I came off the Doxy and have started on Dianette instead.

Works for extremely light acne. But is terrible for moderate to severe
Reviewed on May 4, 2014

Ok . The first time i was on doxycycline, I was suffering from extremely light acne . Just a few blackheads and maybe 1 or two zits. I got off this medication a year or two ago and never needed anything else for my acne. Until about 1 year ago. I was sent to juvenile detention center for a while. While in the detention center my acne started flaring up to about 10 pimples a day and many black heads. After getting out of JDC, I was sent to a program for misbehaved youth. While in the program I started to develop 15 to 20 pimples on my face at a time. After going to the dermatologist , he put me on doxycycline. 5 months from that point my acne was worse than it has ever been . My 15 pimples turned quickly into 50 to 60 zits. My doctor just took me off it and prescribed me bactrim like it was no big deal he just destroyed my face . Do yourself a favor and do not take this medication for moderate acne. You will regret it. And remember . These doctors are just PRACTICING medicine.

Clear ONLY while you're on it
Reviewed on April 26, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me 3 months worth of doxycycline mid December last year. I took it exactly as prescribed and within a few days (~4) I already started seeing results. It was really encouraging and at around late January, my skin had been the clearest it had been in years! My tablets ran out in mid March and my acne came back early April.

It was very frustrating and I got even more self conscious because I had finally gotten a taste of what it'd feel like having porcelain skin, but it only lasted three months.

Somewhat helpful
Reviewed on October 28, 2013

I've been using Apo-Doxy 100 mg in conjunction with Aczone topical gel, and together they've helped somewhat clear my skin. I do still break out, but my breakouts don't last as long; i'd start off with a bump and then (after spot-applying) Aczone, usually the pimple would disappear by the next morning. The acne on my back and chest have appeared to disappear (I don't use Aczone on those areas), so the pills are helping for bodily acne. But again, my facial acne hasn't completely disappeared.

Update: I used this treatment for 3 months. I have now completed my treatment and I can say that I break out a lot less, but I still have a few acne scars. I also noticed that I was a lot more moody while I was on the medication, and felt depressed some days. Another important thing is the stomach pain that comes with it. About 2 months into my treatment, I would get really bad stomach pains -- almost ulcer-like. I was then given some Prevacid pills to take 30 minutes before the Apo-Doxy. The Prevacid helped a lot. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this treatment because my skin didn't really improve as much, which makes the suffering worthless.

Great until you build resistance!
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

When I first went to see my GP with bad acne (2003) he prescribed this for me. It worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! I have always had problems with acne and this was my second time with a cycle of bad acne.

However after using this for a couple of years (Not continuously, as the doctor advised against it... every few months for a couple of years) the effectiveness stopped completely. My doctor said that I may have built up resistance towards the antibiotic, and prescribed topical Erythromycin solution. Helped for awhile but became ineffective too.

DOES NOT MEAN IT WONT WORK FOR YOU!!! It DID FOR ME!! just became less effective over time.

Worked for me!
Reviewed on March 27, 2014

I took Doxycycline for 4 months, from October 2013 to January 2014. After trying out the oil cleansing method, my skin broke out like crazy, and nothing was working to clear it, so my doctor prescribed me doxycycline. From the first week I started to notice changes. Breakouts would decrease in size and the inflammation on my face would also reduce. I would still get occasional pimples popping up, but they wouldn't last long and would quickly disappear. It took a while for all of my acne to clear, it wasn't until the very end of the 4 month period in which I took the antibiotic, that I could honestly say all of my acne was gone. At the end of the 4 months, my skin was completely clear, I had no active acne, just hyper-pigmentation from old breakouts.

I actually liked doxycycline, and the other side effect I had with it, was that I would get sun burnt very easily, and would develop a rash on my chest and neck every time I went out in the sun. However, this didn't bother me too much, as the results I was seeing were incredible and I was just happy that it was working.

by jesslisk on 05/06/2014 01:47
I had the same experience with the oil cleansing method. Did your acne stay away after your 4 months on the doxy?
worked for me!
Reviewed on March 19, 2014

So after having pretty much every type of acne (blackheads whiteheads cystic etc) across my chest and shoulders my whole teen life I decided to stop hiding and see a doctor. Im allergic to natural penicillin but got an artificial derivative of this drug. Initially I had an awful break out (in places I've never had issues too) turns out that was the duac gel which I've stopped using. A month on and everything is clear! Finally I can focus on clearing up those scars! Pretty expensive in Australia and comes in really small packets but im stoked with the results and actually wear singlets now!

Waste of time
Reviewed on March 10, 2014

I was taking this on a fairly regular basis. I followed the directions exactly as the bottle said. As soon as I was done with a dose, the acne would be back in 2-3 months. Here I am 3 years later and my acne is still here. If your doctor tries this route, I'd reconsider.