Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Brand: Doxycycline

Most helpful review

By LadyxBec on 12/30/2012
thumbnail

I'm 22 and I've had acne since the age of 15. In the last three years it has gotten so severe that I decided to see a dermatologist. He put me on 150 mg of this once a day. It's been over two weeks and I am floored by the results so far. I have cystic acne and nothing has ever worked for my face before. I have a couple of bumps on my jawline and everything else is clear. Pimples that would normally take weeks to heal are gone in two days..

Pros:
  • Works fast.
  • Inexpensive with my insurance.
Cons:
  • Makes skin dry and flaky but moisturizing can fix that.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful

Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Member reviews

“Works very well with patience, but cannot use forever”
By on

During the end of summer 2012 I had really started to break out. I was 19 and just about to start college; I didn't want to scare any ladies away so I started using face washes and other stuff but none of it worked too well. I went to my doctor in October 2012 and he gave me epiduo with doxycycline. I was told to take twice a day for a couple months. At first, my face seemed to have gotten worse but after about 6 weeks I started to notice that my face was really starting to clear up. By the end of January, my face was clear and smooth. Once my prescription ran out, I kept using the epiduo and went back to using face washes to prevent any more acne from sprouting. I had clear skin for about 8 months until I started noticing breakouts again. Even with daily cleaning and epiduo, I had started to get acne as bad as the first time. Basically, the stuff works well but it lacks longevity.

Pros

• It clears skin up well for a couple months
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• You must take this with some food in your stomach!
  • It will not put acne in its grave. It will eventually come back
  • Takes time
  • for a few months
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Barely works”
By on

Doxycycline did not do much for my acne at all. I noticed no increase in the severity of my acne after coming off this antibiotic. Also, antibiotics wreak havoc on your digestive system causing a whole range of other problems.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• not effective
  • kills good bacteria in stomach and digestive system
  • NOT a long term option
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Is it workinnnng ?”
By on

It's an okay product. I have a horrible habit of picking (need to break it) which throws off the results of the medicine, obviously. It sort of works when I completely leave skin alone, but it doesn't work wonders. It takes foreeverrrr to kick in, and its not a miracle product. I've heard its supposed to work on body acne, but I have seen no results.

Pros

• Clears up some acne
  • Redness lessens
  • Cheap!

Cons

• Very slow-working
  • Have to be consistent...
  • for more than a year
  • $ 7
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Ok But Not Great”
By on

I was on Doxy for two six week rounds. In the first round it did get a lot worse before it gradually got better. My moderate to moderately severe acne did get clearer in the second round, but the medicine had no effect on my cystic acne and only seemed to increase the number of whiteheads I got. My scarring though was greatly reduced, which I was very happy about. Overall I think this medication would have been better prescribed to someone with light to moderate acne.

Pros

• Helped diminish scarring

Cons

• First round was awful
  • Increased whiteheads and cystic acne
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Severe Cystic Acne, First Time On Doxy”
By on

This is my first time being prescribed doxy. I have always had a few zits here and there my whole life but nothing that I would ever describe as "problem skin". About two months ago I began to break out something fierce. Nothing helped. I keep my skin so clean, I am extremely active (I am a personal trainer), drink so much water, and have a seriously clean diet (raw vegan). I have not changed anything in my regular routine for over a year. I have no explanation for this awful outburst of cystic acne. I am on doxy, 200 mg a day. It's been 5 days now and I have seen little improvement. I know that's a short amount of time but I am so impatient. I have become super reclusive because I am so embarrassed of the way I look. I have uploaded a picture in the gallery. I would love some advice or feedback. (New here).

• for about a week
  • $ 26

“A little skeptical”
By on

It appears this product has the same qualities as accutane but everyone has different reactions! Im 22 and had acne ever since i hit puberty pretty much, im currently taking antivirals and i don't really wanna combine antibiotics with antivirals. Doc prescribed Tactuo topical cream as well as doxy 100mg. I have cystic acne so every two weeks i get an injection of Kenalog steroids. To further help im going to be taking vitamin E supplements along with green tea extract to get rid of free radicals in my body. I will post again i about a month to further my progress.

“Hmm”
By on

Well im not sure if i need to wait longer or not...its been two months and only my forehead has cleared up.....idk:(

• $ 70

“this med did not work”
By on

Oral Antibiotic Doxycycline was the worst acne med ive ever taken. This pill made me extremely nauseas for a long time after swallowing the pill, light headed, and did not even work on clearing up my acne. i have cystic acne and i've recently acquired in the past year due to stress and my acne is not visible at all its under my skin and the pill did absolutely nothing to help. I took this for 1 month and endured it until i couldnt take the nausea anymore, im switching to Bactrim. ill test that out and review the product soon.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• nausea
  • bad mood, light headed
  • doesn't even work
  • for about a month
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Doxycycline”
By on

Doxycycline first of all is different for everyone. I was on this antibiotic before at 100mg a day for a month and my acne literally DISAPPEARED! But as soon as i ended the treatment the acne came back. I've been suffering from acne since i was 14, now 19 I've tried everything from accutane, to naturals, to differin, tetracycline, EVERYTHING. Now i'm on it again and I've been experiencing an initial breakout. It's been 3 weeks back on it and my acne is the worst its ever been, but i heard higher doses can do that for you. I'm on 200mg a day now but i'm going to remain patient because it has worked for me before. I definitely would give it a try if you suffer from body acne as well because it has been clearing mine up tremendously. Oh. and my acne is moderately severe.

Pros

• Works great for body acne
  • easy to take
  • clears you right up!

Cons

• initial breakout
  • sickness if taken on an empty stomach
  • takes time
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Good, but no long-term soloution”
By on

I used this in conjunction with Epiduo cream, so this is really a review of both together (I will also post under that product). I saw improvement in my skin in a week, although it took about 6-8 weeks to clear as best it could. I also went up a dose towards the end, which improved my skin further. My face is significantly better, however my back and shoulders are not improved at all (possible because I did not use epiduo on them and doxy is not effective on it's own). I am moving on to accutane, as my back still looks terrible, and I do not want to be on antibiodics long term (it has been about 5 months).

Pros

• Acne improved

Cons

• didn't completly clear skin
  • nausea
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.