Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

Average price: $13.38

Brand: Tetracycline

Most helpful review

By Felipe , Bogotá, Colombia on 01/23/2013

I'm a 25 y/o male, been struggling with moderate acne for the past 9 years. So far I've tried topical Erythromycin, Doxycycline, Salicylic acid, Vitamin A, Benzoyl peroxide in all its presentations, which I've used daily for 5 years or so. I finally decided to go to a proper derm 3 months ago who prescribed me with 1gr/day of Tetracycline, 10% BP, and a Calendula-based cleanser. It's been a tremendous experience, began seeing results after the second week, and completely cleared me up in eight weeks..

Pros:
  • Cleared me up 100% in 8 weeks (along with BP and cleanser)
  • No side effects on me whatsoever. (Took it with lots of water to avoid stomach issues)
  • The cheapest prescription I've ever purchased. 6 USD for 60 generic capsules.
  • Revealed scarring (which I've never noticed before for being constantly broke out)
Cons:
  • Had to take it on an empty stomach
  • Had to cease taking Milk Products
  • As with all antibiotics, your probiotic flora may be affected.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

Member reviews

By on

Do NOT (ever) take more than you your doctor has described for you.

Its NOT a long term solution. I would recommend anyone that has severe acne to go on roaccutane. Its not worth waiting a long time for you acne to disappear/ slow down. I waited 5 years, and I recommend everyone who has severe acne to just go on roaccutane.

Pros

• It works for acne vulgaris (- Do NOT work for blackheads, etc.).
  • Highly recommended if you only have moderate teen acne, not if it has gotten out of hand.

Cons

• There are side effects, just like any other medication.
  • The side effects I got was:
  • Yellowing of the teeths (Not much. I still got whiter teeth than most other teen on my age. Dont let this point discourage you).
  • Dry skin (not much).
  • Dry eyes (not much).
  • Some negative effects on my mood (gets really easily irritated).
  • May also disturb sleep, making it harder to get to sleep.
  • severe
  • inconsistently
  • $ 12

By on

I hate to be a downer, I have hormonal acne/adult acne and basically this and dianette and others have cleared my acne up perfectly but once you come off the meds it ALWAYS comes back with a vengence basically its meds for life which to be honest im not that bothered with its just annoying when the antibs stop working and u have to go on somethin else.

Even with accutane it can come back :( but hey a few pills a day for clear skill im up for that!

Pros

• Clears acne after a few months need to be patient

Cons

• Dry skin,
  • Nausea for the first week or so
  • Thirst
  • Initial breakout
  • Will probebly stop working eventually and you will move onto another antibiotic
  • moderately severe

By on

I have been on Doctor-prescribed Oxytetracycline pills (250mg) for about 3 months now. Within about 2-3 week of taking this stuff my mild acne had cleared up very well indeed, the most successful of anything i've tried (BP, topical retinoids, various cleansers/washes/exfoliants/off the shelf products). The stuff tastes sweet going down, I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about.. I think it might be sugar-coated! I found that just washing my face with water every morning and evening was good. Everyone's different - the general advice here is to cleanse and moisturise but I find this just irritates my skin and makes things worse.

I'd definitely recommend this product if you can get your doctor to give it you and you've already tried topical creams and stuff. DEFINITELY try this stuff before going on something hardcore like accutane, that stuff is not to be taken lightly!

Pros

• * Cleared up by mild acne very well

Cons

• * Have to remember to take it twice a day
  • * Some mild stomach discomfort to begin with
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

I've been using tetracycline for 2 months now and I haven't seen any results :(

I had originally got the prescription from my family doctor for 2 pills (250mg) twice daily and then went to a dermatologist about a month after. He was surprised she gave me a high dosage even though all of the reviews say they start out with a high dosage and slowly decrease it. He made me stop doing it twice but instead have only 2 pills a day. He also prescribed two creams (an anti-bacteria face cream - 2 daily and a retinal - 1 daily) and the creams work wonders on my face! But I still get acne on my neck, shoulders, and back and there has been no change although I'm constantly be told by my dermatologist that tetracycline SHOULD be working. I still think if you don't have any other choice to give it a try.

If my dermatologist allowed me I would have started accutane months ago! (I've had the blood test and got the okay from my doctor)

Pros

• No side affects

Cons

• Self inflicted depression caused by low self-confidence
  • No change what so ever
  • The only thing that's worked is the prescribed creams
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 17

By on

I haven't heard anyone in all the reviews have the same side effects as I did so I would say try it out, it did work perfect for my skin, just made me a little nuts

Pros

• Clears skin up 100%, my skin was like a baby and I had severe acne on jawline and back

Cons

• made me crazy!... thinking about life and death and started getting really bad panic attacks, etc
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I love this stuff! It completely cleared my horrible cystic acne in about a month. I tried everything from Proactiv, cutting dairy out of my diet, urine facials (yes, I was that desperate!) Tetracycline was my miracle solution. I rarely experienced side effects while taking Tetracycline. Once in awhile I'd get a stomach ache, but it would only last for half an hour, if that. The only down side to this medication is that you have to take it on an empty stomach. Being a teenage boy, this is extremely difficult for me, but it's so worth it! I would definitely recommend Tetracycline to any acne sufferer! It feels awesome to wake up in the morning and not have to worry if I broke out. :)

Pros

• Completely cleared my cystic acne
  • Works fast
  • Helps with inflammation
  • Very little side effects for me!

Cons

• Dried face out
  • Have to plan meals around the pill
  • Occasionally gave me a stomach ache
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 15

By on

taking in combination with dianette. works really well. im worried spots will return worse than ever when i come of them!

Pros

• cleared up my acne by about 75%
  • few side effects

Cons

• trapped wind!
  • horrible taste and smell
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 14
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I would say Tetracycline is often one of the first antibiotics your given if you have bad skin.

I used it for about a year and spent about 6 months clear but started to notice it wasn't working as well as it did before after a while.

I had no remission of my acne afterwards, once I stopped the antibiotic, the acne came back.

I didn't really like the tablets as they repeated on me with some strange taste and sometimes made me feel sick but I stuck with it whilst they were working.

I was never told not to have dairy whilst on it but I always timed my dairy intake as far from the tablet as possible because it would make my stomach gurgle etc.

Basically its a good first antibiotic but son't be surprised if you build up a resistance to it and need something stronger.

Pros

• When initially taken it did clear my acne for a good 6 months.
  • Didn't have an initial breakout.
  • Only had to take once a day.
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Large, hard to swallow plastic tablets.
  • Would repeat on me for about 2 hours after taking them.
  • Occasionally felt naseous.
  • Built up an immunity to it.
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • $ 7.7

By on

The dermotologist suggested that taking Tetracycline twice every day for 2 months will give me clear skin but sadly, shes very wrong. This medicine hasn't made a difference on my skin and I've been consistence with it since day 1. The cycle just keeps on rotating... New pimples are growing while old zits are leaving my skin with hyperpigmentation marks that takes forever to go away. In a few weeks, my doctor is finally going to put me on accutane; I just had enough with acne. I couldn't take the low-self esteem, low-self confident, and depression that comes along with it any longer. Acne has been the longest and toughest battle I had to fight against ever since I reach puberty. My decision is set and accutane is the choice I will make. Although Tetracycline wasn't working for me, that doesn't mean it will not work for you. I just had too much sebum production on my face and this medicine couldn't cure it.

Pros

• *Inexpensive.

Cons

• *No difference on the skin.
  • *Hard to swallow pills
  • *Can't eat or drink diary products while being on this pill.
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Started on the 22nd december, now the 6th febuary and somehow my spots have literally gone in the last week, like im not just saying that each day i got less and less and less and now i have non, just quite a lot of hyper pigmentation, completely cleared pustular and papular acne, and slowly clearing my comedonal acne, dont matter though going on roaccutane cos i dont wanna go through acne again.

Also started to eat healthy and only wash my face with water around same time i cleared up, dunno if its coincedental, but i believe if you eat all this bad junk food then it will come out in your face, and look at your facial washer and read all the chemicals, surely not good to put on your face? Look at the eskimo people for example, not a case of acne and then the americans colonised there and acne became apparent in the population, bad food... i dunno, also take flaxseed oil and havent experianced a outbreak, EVERYONES DIFFERENT YOU AINT GUNNA FIND AN ANSWER FOR YOUR TROUBLES UNLESS YOUR TRY IT

Pros

• Cleared up
  • No side effects experienced
  • Didnt get worse before it got better

Cons

• Took ages to work
  • Doesnt cure acne
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.