Page 2 of Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.3/5 - 356 reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline Hydrochloride.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.

It actually worked!
Reviewed on January 6, 2014

I took an antibiotic called "Tetralysal" and it is the only thing that has taken my acne away. No side effects whatsoever, I felt great during the whole time, but it took some time before I could see any improvement. When I stopped taking the pills my skin looked great (I would get an occasional pimple, but in comparison to what I used to look like it was fantastic) and did so for another six months, then I started breaking out again like before I started taking the pill... It works temporarily but doesn't take away the cause of the acne, so once you stop the risk of getting acne again is big. But for me who has tried a lot of things, this is one of few that actually worked, if only for a short time.

Helps break the acne cycle
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

One thing I have always noticed is that acne causes more acne. If you have a few days of clear skin, it's easier to keep it clear than after a bad breakout. Tetracyclines help break that constant breakout cycle and give time for your skin to recover. i would not call this a miracle pill, but it does help acne clear faster and breakouts are less frequent and severe (fewer cysts etc). I wouldn't say that it cleared my acne completely, but it did help. The biggest downside is that you have to take the pill(s) on an empty stomach, i.e two hours before or two hours after a meal. this means if you wake up for work, you have to take the pills right away and wait two hours to eat....and no more bedtime snacks either! It also causes nausea and general fatigue, although this does wear off after a few weeks. I guess the biggest problem is that it is not a long term solution....I did not have a worsening of acne after coming of tetracyclines, but I know many people do.

not bad
Reviewed on November 11, 2013

I never used to have acne before I turned 20. In 2 months my face turned into an acne warzone. I got cysts on my chin area, which gradually progressed along my jawline and lower cheeks. These were so red and traumatized me, as I had NEVER had anything like it before. There were so many spots, some would heal, and the marks would remain, and new ones would come. Mineral foundation hid the redness thankfully.

I've been on tetracycline for 2 months. It took this long for me to see a DIFFERENCE, but I'm so happy I stuck with the regimen and didn't give up. Now, my face isnt blemish free as when I was 19, but it's really getting better. I have no more cysts on my chin at all, just the red marks which will go away with a little more time. My jawline is not acne-free, but it's getting better as well. When I pass my fingers over my face I dont want to cry anymore. All this to say, please don't give up on tetracycline even if you havent see a difference yet. The regimen for these pills is 3 months. By the 3rd month, I'm sure I'll have my face back 100% (no marks or acne), considering the way things are going now. I'm also using topical products at night and morning.

I was extremely depressed when I got acne at 20 for the first time, and so severe. I thought tetracycline would work within 2 weeks. IT DOESNT. It's a gentler antibiotic that takes its time. I accepted that I have an infection, just that it happens to be on my face - which is what acne is. Once I accepted this crappy fact, it was easier to deal with. Sh*t happens. Tetracycline can help you, but dont be impatient and do use mineral foundation in the meantime if you're worried about what people think. Acne is dumb and annoying, but it's really more common than you think, and will go away if you fight it, like any infection.

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:08
When you completed the cycle did you find that your acne returned? If so, how long did it take and to what severity compared with before the treatment? Thanks!
by kng123 on 01/28/2015 05:34
What was your dosage?
by kng123 on 01/28/2015 05:37
What was your dosage?
Ineffective with quite noticeable side-effects
Reviewed on October 31, 2013

I have moderate acne, I had been trying topical treatments, Hundreds of dollars later I still have acne probably worse now. It was bad enough for me to go seek treatment but isn't severe by any means. I was given a few options; 1) General Birth control. 2) Tetracycline. 3) Birth Control + Accutane

I really wanted to avoid birth control as im not at a state where I need to be on that. I asked my doctor if Birth control caused weight gain of which i would notice (Im 15 and I weigh 92 pounds) He said it would cause noticeable weight gain. I severely wanted to avoid that so I decided to take the second option and take Tetracycline for a period of 3 months as prescribed by my doctor. I just finished my 3 month period a week ago and it didn't clear anything up. I'm absolutely stumped. I dont want to take Birth Control but I really have no other option. I'm tired of having to cake on foundation and concealers just to barely cover the blemishes and redness. I was really hopeful... I really didnt want to be disappointed because I dont have severe acne... its just stubborn :( I wash my face twice a day everyday for as long as I can remember and I just dont know where to go from here.

good , lower acne counts, long lasting
Reviewed on October 28, 2013

i am taking 250 mg tetracycline with zinc . Its makes clear 90% , 1 0r 2 zits, thats nothing problem.

Tetracycline is a Bacteriostatic that stops bacteria from reproducing, while not necessarily harming them or killing them, its simply inhibits protein needed for bacteria. so if u get more acne take more tatracyline 750mg(250mg*3) to 1000 mg (500*2) after diet. Use antidandruff shampoo daily, If i get more acne i take 500mg until it clears. then reduce to 250 mg.

IF U SERIOUSLY WANT TO KICK THE ACNE , THIS IS ONLY FOR SERIOUS PEOPLE WHO'S SELF CONFIDENCE, AFFECTED BY ACNE AND CANT TOLERATE ACNE.

1. stop all your diet types of food and drinks etc.Stop everything.

2. take only wheat oats as food(cook wheat oats with water and add some salt for taste) for breakfast, lunch, supper.

3. Dont eat anything only wheat oats is your food , dont drink anything (any beverage, milk etc) water is your drink.

4. Use antidandruff shampoo daily.

5 take tetracycline 250 mg twice( morning and night) and also take zinc 65mg enough at night

Just look at the results in 1 week. then u will fallow it life long, results is awesome, beautiful, clear skin face.

"without water there is no tree, without fatty, high calories food there is no acne. SImple but Worth."

this will seriously work for any people fatty and high calories food is the only reason for all diseases. God bless us.

Works really well
Reviewed on October 4, 2013

Worked really good the 3 months I was on it. I can recommend this to people with mild acne - just make sure not to take it with dairy and, to get the possible best effect, take it 1 hour before a meal.

by healthnut91 on 08/22/2014 06:11
Did you find that your acne returned after finishing the treatment? If so, was it the same level of severity as before?
Initially made my acne worse then I noticed no difference
Reviewed on August 7, 2013

I was prescribed Tetracycline by my doctor and was advised to take it for a month before expecting any noticeable results. My acne was pretty bad so I took it religiously for a month in the hope that my acne would at least be reduced. Not only did it not clear my skin but it made it 100x WORSE. I know they say it has to get worse before it gets better but this breakout was just ridiculous! I stopped taking Tetracycline and started taking these natural supplements and I finally have the clear skin I've always longed for :D ( Apart from the odd breakout but nothing as bad as it was). These are what I took:

[link removed]

Works great for a while, not worth it in the long-run
Reviewed on July 2, 2013

I took oxytetracycline from October 2009 to April 2011. The drug took about 4 months to kick in but, once I did, I had flawlessly perfect skin. It was great! However, from around November 2010 the drug gradually decreased in effectiveness. Now that I've come off it my skin is worse than ever and I'm still suffering from this now, in July 2013. The chances are that the drug will help for a bit, but will then make your acne worse in the long run. For this reason, it just isn't worth it! I'm entirely sure that if I hadn't taken the drug, I would have naturally outgrown acne by now.

Another let down
Reviewed on June 18, 2013

The medications is cheap and useful. Once you stop taking it your acne comes back to bite ya in the ass again. But this time it's worse. I built a resistance very quickly to this antibiotic. And every other one for that matter,

Reviewed on April 30, 2013

Tetracycline is an opportunity to start over. Acne causes acne. It's very hard to rid yourself of it naturally, as in through diet and regular facial cleansings, once you already have it severely. Clogged pores constrict the pores around it, causing more acne. It's a vicious cycle. Tetracycline is like a reset button. It gives you the opportunity to make a fresh start and really change your lifestyle to ward off future acne. You are what you eat. Figure out what your triggers are and remove them from your diet. Sodas, excessive dairy consumption, greasy foods, etc. Occasional exercise, or going to the saunae once or twice a month will also help greatly. Sweat the bad stuff out, because we're all bound to indulde in some quesionable foods occasionally. And of course, wash your face thoroughly, sensitively, every day. Wash your hands often, don't touch your face, change your pillow case often, etc. Tetracycline is not a niracle drug, but it allows for you to start fresh. Also, be very aware that you must dose down from anything over 500mg a day. Acne resurgence will be significantly reduced if you build down your intake. If you are currently taking two pills/capsules a day, start taking just one a day for a week or two, then one every other day, until you're at one a week for a few weeks. This way your body rebuilds it's natural defensive mechanisms before becoming solely responsible for warding off skin inflammations again. If you use it sensibly, Tetracycline can put a permanent end to bad acne.