Page 4 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1083 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Worked in some way, bad allergic reaction
Reviewed on October 11, 2013

i was prescribed this medication about 3 weeks ago, my skin completely cleared up , but i would always get light headed and would always feel tired i took this medication 2 times a day one in the morning and one in the night but after the third week i got hives on my elbows and knees , so i stopped talking it.

Works very well, but harsh side effects
Reviewed on September 27, 2013

I always had severe cystic acne since I was about 12 years old. My first MC course I started when I was 15 and took it for about a year with breaks. It cleared the teenage acne drastically, about up to 60%.

When I got on the antibabypill age 16 I stopped MC as it can interfere with birth control. I was acne free until about 19.5 years, when I started to have first major breakouts again. They all cleared up by themselves again though, just slower and slower with time, but didn't yet require MC treatment. Over the years my skin got gradually worse and at the age of 22 I had worse cystic acne then when I was 12, especially around my nose and chin area.

My skin is generally not oily, but went even drier, bright red and patchy all over my face. Unlike my teenage acne this one NEVER spread onto my body - not even onto my neck, only my face was a cystic mess.

I was diagnosed with genetic acne (not teenage, hormonal acne) and got on MC again two weeks ago and as of today all the cysts have disappeared, my skin is clear, not dry anymore, a bit oilier than usual but no more acne, not even blackheads. I'd say it's 98% clear after 2 weeks.

I had severe side effects the first few days of taking MC, including migraine attacks so strong that I would vomit, general nausea and a premature and very strong and long (2 weeks) period. Due to the long period (and the moisture it comes with) I eventually also got a thrush, which was hard to treat as I could not take pro-biotics because you're not allowed to have dairy with MC as the calcium makes it useless.

After overcoming those first 2 weeks I'm starting to feel better and can finally enjoy the clear face I now have. I take 1x 50mg a day. I was prescribed 2x 50mg a day, but I wasn't able to function due to the migraine attacks after taking MC, hence I can only take it at night before sleeping. I'm very thin (58kg at 175cm), so that might be why 1x 50mg is working well in my metabolism.

Works, but is slow.
Reviewed on September 7, 2013

I was prescribed this and the first two ish weeks it made me feel really sick, but i stuck with it and I still use it now after 5 months. It does help with the size of your pimples and what not, but it never cleared me completely, so I'm using it in conjunction with other topicals. I noticed a lot within the first 2 months with how my big pimples became a tad smaller and right now I still break out about 3 spots each time, but they're not big and are almost gone after 4 days of getting them.

Short term and barely works
Reviewed on September 4, 2013

I had been prescribed minocycline about a year ago and used it for about two months and it barely worked. I gave up but my acne somehow cleared up over the winter. Enter spring: another breakout, so I got another prescription of minocycline. It barely worked and even made me depressed and nearly suicidal, which would subside a few hours after usage. I stopped immediately and have been fine ever since.

Side effects were bad
Reviewed on August 31, 2013

My stomach hurt bad when I took this. I felt like I had a constant stomach ache. Pretty horrible. Stopped taking it after a few days so not sure if it actually helps with acne.

Does the job
Reviewed on August 26, 2013

Minocycline worked much better than any of the topical treatments I tried and cleared up my skin completely! I used it for a year before I weaned off of it. I stopped in the winter and my skin stayed clear until the hot months provoked my oily skin. Unfortunately, after using this medication, my acne came back even worse than before, as there is more of it and it is cystic.

I recommend this anti-biotic for those with very mild acne- very few whiteheads and normal skin type.

Works Wonderfully Short term
Reviewed on August 23, 2013

I was on this for about...a year, I think? Which is actually very dangerous as it can cause very serious liver problems if it's used long term. Anyways, after around month 2 my skin was completely clear aside from blackheads (which aren't related to bacteria anyways; this drug is not meant to treat them). It stayed that way for about 4 months afterward, and I felt amazing. However, I developed a resistance to it and it eventually stopped working.

Such a great thing
Reviewed on August 22, 2013

I just started this about three weeks ago! It has worked incredibly well. I also use Proactiv. The medicine has dried out my face a lot though, seems to be going away. I recommend this. My friend also uses it and she has told me nothing but great things.

Took 15 days to clear me up
Reviewed on August 16, 2013

It has been 15 days since I began taking Minocycline and I must say I am very pleased with the results so far. I take 100 mg 2 times a day and will be brought down in 15 more days to 100 mg once a day. I read many negative things about antibiotics (i.e. antibiotic resistance, destruction of "good" bacteria in the gut, risk of getting blue skin) but, I believe it has been worth the risk, especially since I have been struggling with acne for 15 years. The side effects have went away. At first I felt dizzy and had a headache, but now I don't feel any of the initial side effects. It is up to each person to weight the risks/cons and the benefits/pros and decide for themselves if they way to use systemic antibiotics. From personal experience, I think Minocyline is superior to Doxycycline in terms of clearing up the acne, but it did have more intense side effects. I

Minocycline: Short-term fix
Reviewed on August 14, 2013

I took Minocycline a few months ago. My acne is moderately severe and persistent. I'm 21 now and ever since I was 14, I have had at least 10 pimples (some cystic) on my face every day of these past 7 years. I've tried lots of topical creams and other antibiotics and this is the only thing that really cleared me up. I had almost no acne and even if a pimple did pop up, it was far less inflamed and cleared up much faster. It started working for me within the first few days of taking the pills. Definitely try this drug if nothing else has worked for you! I had no side affects whatsoever. My acne returned pretty much right after I stopped taking the pills though. Good luck! :)