Minocycline Oral Antibiotic

Average price: $20.71

Brand: Minocycline

Most helpful review

By riley, sc on 01/20/2013

The first three weeks it pulls everything to the surface, the last week it clears. give it a month.

Pros:
  • Completely clears acne
  • no side effects when taken short term
  • got rid of cysts & nodules
Cons:
  • it gets worse before it gets better

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful

50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Member reviews

“Short term and barely works”
By on

I had been prescribed minocycline about a year ago and used it for about two months and it barely worked. I gave up but my acne somehow cleared up over the winter. Enter spring: another breakout, so I got another prescription of minocycline. It barely worked and even made me depressed and nearly suicidal, which would subside a few hours after usage. I stopped immediately and have been fine ever since.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Barely works
  • May cause depression
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Side effects were bad”
By on

My stomach hurt bad when I took this. I felt like I had a constant stomach ache. Pretty horrible. Stopped taking it after a few days so not sure if it actually helps with acne.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Bad side effects
  • Had to stop taking
  • Stomach hurt
  • for a day or two
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Does the job”
By on

Minocycline worked much better than any of the topical treatments I tried and cleared up my skin completely! I used it for a year before I weaned off of it. I stopped in the winter and my skin stayed clear until the hot months provoked my oily skin. Unfortunately, after using this medication, my acne came back even worse than before, as there is more of it and it is cystic.

I recommend this anti-biotic for those with very mild acne- very few whiteheads and normal skin type.

Pros

• Eliminates all whiteheads and mild cysts
  • Results are seen fairly quickly
  • Controls oily skin

Cons

• Acne may return after treatment
  • Can cause digestional issues and yeast infections
  • Sun exposure while on medication can be harmful
  • for about a year
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Works Wonderfully Short term”
By on

I was on this for about...a year, I think? Which is actually very dangerous as it can cause very serious liver problems if it's used long term. Anyways, after around month 2 my skin was completely clear aside from blackheads (which aren't related to bacteria anyways; this drug is not meant to treat them). It stayed that way for about 4 months afterward, and I felt amazing. However, I developed a resistance to it and it eventually stopped working.

Pros

• Cleared me up completely
  • Made my skin feel like a baby's tushy

Cons

• Can cause minor stomach aches
  • Acne bacteria grows resistant quickly
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Such a great thing”
By on

I just started this about three weeks ago! It has worked incredibly well. I also use Proactiv. The medicine has dried out my face a lot though, seems to be going away. I recommend this. My friend also uses it and she has told me nothing but great things.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Clears skin

Cons

• Dryness
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Took 15 days to clear me up”
By on

It has been 15 days since I began taking Minocycline and I must say I am very pleased with the results so far. I take 100 mg 2 times a day and will be brought down in 15 more days to 100 mg once a day. I read many negative things about antibiotics (i.e. antibiotic resistance, destruction of "good" bacteria in the gut, risk of getting blue skin) but, I believe it has been worth the risk, especially since I have been struggling with acne for 15 years. The side effects have went away. At first I felt dizzy and had a headache, but now I don't feel any of the initial side effects. It is up to each person to weight the risks/cons and the benefits/pros and decide for themselves if they way to use systemic antibiotics. From personal experience, I think Minocyline is superior to Doxycycline in terms of clearing up the acne, but it did have more intense side effects. I

Pros

• Cleared me up 1/2 a month
  • Side effects have gone away
  • Only have to take once or twice a day

Cons

• Side effects when you begin taking them
  • Risk of antibiotic resistance, killing good bacteria in your stomach, blue skin
  • Scared it will stop working
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Minocycline: Short-term fix”
By on

I took Minocycline a few months ago. My acne is moderately severe and persistent. I'm 21 now and ever since I was 14, I have had at least 10 pimples (some cystic) on my face every day of these past 7 years. I've tried lots of topical creams and other antibiotics and this is the only thing that really cleared me up. I had almost no acne and even if a pimple did pop up, it was far less inflamed and cleared up much faster. It started working for me within the first few days of taking the pills. Definitely try this drug if nothing else has worked for you! I had no side affects whatsoever. My acne returned pretty much right after I stopped taking the pills though. Good luck! :)

Pros

• Breakouts clear faster
  • Pimples are less inflammed
  • Almost completely clear skin!

Cons

• Acne returned after treatment
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“prayer is heard”
By on

i have had severe cystic acne on my face (cheek area) and then went to a dermatologist and had been offered accutane, but declined it. Minocycline was given as an alternative with Differin 0.1% gel. i had 200mg a day for 6 months and it worked wonders and left my face completely clear. After around 12 months once i got off minocycline, my cystic acne has returned but not as severe.

Pros

• easy to have
  • cheap
  • works great but slow

Cons

• not permanent solution(everyones different though)
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Felt sick from side effects”
By on

At first I was prescribed an antibiotic which I loved but unfortunately my insurance did not cover it, so I was prescribed to minocycline and to take two 50mg per day. When I first started taking this medication, it worked, although I felt extremely sick to my stomach. I eventually decided to only take one 50mg tablet at night before bed, and this has seemed to work. I have been doing the one pill for over a year now, and when I first started taking this medicine, it worked right away, but eventually has been less effective. I have stopped taking this medication for a week and I did notice that my breakouts occurred more often when I was off the medicine, so it is working, just not as strong as I like. Again, I am pretty sure it would work more if I took two pills rather than just one, but my stomach can't seem to handle this.

Pros

• Clears acne
  • Easy solution

Cons

• Side Effects
  • Not long term
  • for about a year
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Great at first, not so great after a few months”
By on

At first, I thought this was a godsend. My acne (which had gotten really bad after a few months on doxycycline) cleared up almost immediately. I still got the occasional pimple, but nothing like what I was getting before.

The side effects didn't really affect me too much - occasional stomach aches, light-headedness, trouble switching focus from things a long way away to things close, but these seemed to come for a couple of days and then go away again.

I was on two 50mg tablets a day (one in the morning, one at night). After about 2 months, I noticed that my rosacea redness and flushing (which I already had) was getting a lot worse. Sometimes, for no reason at all, I would flush for an hour or so, my face going bright red and burning like hell. This sometimes happened 7 or 8 times a day, and it was really making me depressed and anxious. I was constantly checking my face to see if I was flushing.

I then learned that other people had had trouble with this medication and flushing, and my derm had previously mentioned cutting back from two tablets a day to one, so I decided to try that (just taking it at night). At this stage, I was more preoccupied with the redness than the pimples, so I reasoned that even if the pimples got worse, if the flushing stopped, I wouldn't mind.

So I've been on 50 mg once a day for a couple of days now (also on Finacea at night) and this seems to be helping. I certainly haven't been flushing as much as I was before.

All in all, this medication definitely worked better for me than the doxycycline, so if you've tried doxy and it didn't work, give this one a go. Just don't expect it to work on a long-term basis.

Pros

• great short-term solution
  • made pimples smaller and less frequent
  • inexpensive

Cons

• flushing
  • stopped working after about 3 months
  • not a long-term solution
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.