Page 3 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1116 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Nauseous and acid reflux
Reviewed on July 12, 2015

This medicine works to a certain extent however, throughout the day I would be extremely nauseous and suffered intolerable acid reflux and had to use the toilet to gag on numerous occasions.

by mac87 on 07/14/2015 22:53
that happened to me. its because the antibiotics kills the good bacteria needed in your gut. I got a lot of acne relief from the use of probitics. i used one called clear biotic. seems to be really help me and my daughter.
Don't use antibiotics!
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

Okay I am a 16 year old boy male who suffers from mild to severe hormonal acne. My face is horrible I have a lot of discoloration on my skin and i have acne scars as well. I have tried many products and I have spent thousands of dollars on my face. Nothing had worked. My face is immune to all the products I have tried so far. So one day i decided to go see a dermatologist. I have never been on an oral antibiotic before. So my dermatologist prescribed me an oral antibiotic since I have hormonal acne and topical medication weren't working at all. They were just making my face worst. I was prescribed minocycline. I took two pills a day and they were 100mg each. I took this pill for four months along with a topical cream witch was Tretinoin cream. Minocyclin did help my acne but it didn't cure it. My acne became much more smaller and I didn't get as many break outs. After I finished my last batch of minocycline all my acne came back and I started breaking out a lot. What you have to understand is antibiotics aren't going to cure your acne. Antibiotics are just a "temporary fix" for your acne its not going to permanently get rid of your acne. Plus they come with side effects. I experienced tiredness and i was fatigue as well. I would recommenced avoiding antibiotics.

Temporary clear skin at a cost
Reviewed on June 24, 2015

I was on Mino for 100mg/day for approximately 2 years. For the first year however, I wasn't very consistent with taking my dosage, so I would take it once every week or so. I took it everyday in my senior year and this drug has done wonders for my skin during that year. I would rarely get a breakout, and if I did, it was only 2-3 very big spots (mainly around my menstrual cycle or when I was stressed out), but overall, this was a lifesaver for me. I stopped responding to it a year ago and was prescribed Doxycycline.

Minocycline was the first oral antibiotic I had ever been prescribed with, which is why I think I responded great to it, especially compared to Doxy. However, with every antibiotic, comes the unfortunate and consequent immunity of it, which is what caused my acne to come back again.

I never had any bad side effects whilst being on Mino, but I can definitely say that once I stopped responding to this antibiotic, my face was worse than ever. I started getting cystic acne and very persistent acne, which is why I was switched over to Doxy. But my body has build up such a resistance to the cycline family antibiotics that Doxy only worked 1.5-2 months for me before my acne came back again.

I'd say antibiotics work best on mild acne. It may also work for moderate acne (which is what I had), but honestly, after being on Mino and Doxy, I am now suffering with moderate-severe acne just because of the immunity of the antibiotics I have taken.

by Nikkixyooj on 07/09/2015 09:54
You might have to try a stronger antibiotic. I don't know why they would prescribe you doxy it's from the same family as Minocycline and in my opinion it's weaker than Minocycline. You need to go on a very strong antibiotic like Bactrium I heard its cures many people acne.
Nothing worked like this for me
Reviewed on June 18, 2015

This worked wonders for my skin for the longest amount of time. The reviews are /really/ mixed on here, but I was able to clear most of my skin with it. After being on it for 6 months, I was taken off of it because my dermatologist thought it was concerning that I was on it for that long. As soon as I stopped taking it, my skin was uncontrollable. I did have an increased dose. I don't have them anymore, so I don't remember it, but I went as high up as they would give me lol.

It sorta works... For a while
Reviewed on May 20, 2015

I am a teen and one of the things I have been struggling with for many years is acne. I tried Proactiv, which helped for a few months and then it seemed had no affect at all, so I went to my doctor. She presricbed me Minocycline 100mg/ once a day and Retin-A. I have, and I know this is bad, been using Mino for almost two years now (I stopped once and in a few weeks my acne came right back, worse than before and showed no sign of leaving, so my doctor represcribed Mino 100mg/once per day and a stronger Retin-A solution). I have found that the Mino helped slightly with the few spots of acne I had on my back and chest, but has not done anything significant of noting on my face... Which is where most of my acne resides, so I'm planning on stopping my taking of Mino. I also found that taking Mino in the morning gave me an upset stomach, so I take it at night now. I have found also that the Retin-A was only drying my skin out, so I switched back to Proactiv and that is what is keeping my skin under control right now. I think for certain people this antibiotic can work, but for me it barely had an affect.

Quite good, Little to no side effects
Reviewed on April 29, 2015

I used this consistently for about 3-4 months, but my doctor took me off of it because you're not supposed to be on an antibiotic for all that long. I had severe breakouts around my jaw and chin and they were cleared up within a month or two. My Hyperpigmentation then took about 2 months to go away and I still have reddish tint/patch coloration which I know will also go away. Just remember to take it regularly and not to skip dosages. AND PLEASE get it from a real doctor and don't just order it off the internet.

Works well
Reviewed on March 1, 2015

I've been on minocycline (50mg - twice a day) for about 5 weeks now, and it has worked wonders on my acne. During the first 2 weeks I began it I saw my skin break out more than it has before, but as time progressed they quickly healed up. I haven't reached the second month period yet but my skin has been smooth and acne-free for at least a week and a half. All that is left to deal with now is the scarring from previous bouts of acne.

Overall, this treatment has been the most successful for me. I've tried so many other topical, prescription, and natural routes to clear up my acne but no other has had the same results as this has had. I've never had one of the side effects they list for the product, but it can definitely be a hassle to take daily. I know a few people are wary about taking the antibiotics route for their acne, but if you balance out the antibiotics with probiotics and can wait the 2 to 3 weeks for it to start kicking in then minocycline is definitely a treatment to consider.

Update April 19, 2015: After completing the 2 months of minocycline, I went off of it. It had majorly cleared up my skin and there was no purpose remaining to continue taking it. I've now been off of it for a month and my acne has not come back at all. While my skin does still have some scarring and hyperpigmentation, it is now beyond smooth. If I do get a breakout, it is extremely small and is gone within days. I am so thrilled and relieved with the results as many people say they have their acne come back after going off of it. I still strongly recommend using this product to help with your acne, and I really urge you don't overuse it. Once you see your skin clearing up, it's best to go off and see how your skin reacts. Staying on it for years in hopes it will keep your acne at bay forever will only minimize its effects and would not be very healthy for your body. I hope everyone else who decides to use this antibiotic have the same great results as I did when I went on it.

It's not without side effects, but does the job.
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

About me: I'm 42 years old with pale, highly oily skin, and have struggled with acne off and on since I was 12 years old. Since February, my skin became horrifically worse. I developed large cystic acne that would not pop or go away no matter what I tried. I would get three to four new zits every few days that would be on my face for a solid month before they began receding. It got to the point that I had large cysts so close together they appeared to be on top of each other. I never had it this bad before. Eventually, I didn't want to leave the house anymore. I stopped going to hot yoga, an activity I enjoy most. Anyone whose dealt with this, knows how debilitating acne can be to one's self image. I finally went back to the doctor. I had been using topical Retin-A .05% once or twice a week for the past 15 months. It didn't help at all. The dermatologist prescribed Minocycline 100mg twice a day. She also recommended I increase the topical Retin-A I have been using from once a week to every day to promote skin cell turnover. I increased the Retin-A to six times a week the same day I started Minocycline. She told me it could take as long as 3 months to see results. I have been using the medication for six weeks now. In this time, I missed one evening dose, and skipped a morning dose due to stomach upset. Other than that, I have taken it religiously. I saw a marked improvement in my skin about 10 days into the drug therapy. After four weeks, all my cystic acne is gone. After six weeks, the red marks left from the cystic acne are fading away. This is the absolute most effective treatment I have used to get rid of acne. The price I pay for clear skin is moderate, sometimes harsh side effects. The medication is best taken on an empty stomach, but induces intense nausea when doing so. I've also experienced dizziness, lethargy, joint pain, difficulty with balance and sensitivity to sunlight (even with 30SPF sunscreen). These symptoms were worst for the first few weeks, then gradually decreased in severity. Nausea is still strong, especially in the morning. That said, it is much preferable to feel pretty again, and back to doing social stuff. My husband and I even took up dancing. For me, the side effects are a small inconvenience.

Update 3/27/2015: Unfortunately, the medication is only effective for as long as you take it. I tapered from 100mg twice a day to 100 mg in the evening about five months into the treatment. The medication became increasingly harsh on my stomach. Bloating, extreme intestinal pain, joint pain, and weight loss. I am normally 105 to 110lbs. My weight dropped to 83lbs when I quit taking the medicine altogether. To be fair, I had other things going on. Strict vegan diet, and being prescribed Ritalin were likely mitigating factors. I ran out of Retin A .05% topical cream roughly the same time and was too broke to see the dermatologist for a new script, so I stopped using that too. On the advice of a doctor, I stopped taking minocycline and also started eating dairy and seafood rich in probiotics and B12. I started feeling better within the week. About a month after I quit minocycline, my cystic hormonal acne came back ten fold. I am on new scripts which I will review soon, but I just wanted to add this update. I still recommend it for a temporary fix, but know it is temporary. As soon as you stop taking it, the acne comes back :(

by JWaltersRN on 08/26/2015 23:08
If you take the antibiotics without taking a pro-biotic for your gut, you WILL have Gastrointestinal issues. For me, Dairy exacerbates my acne, so I avoid it, but there are some Pro-biotics that are capsulated, vegan/vegetarian, and do not require the intake of Dairy to have effect. I take my Mino with food, to avoid nausea, and have had no GI issues once I started the pro-biotics.
Worked well so far 50mg Once a day
Reviewed on March 16, 2015

I'm 25 and female, for the past three years my acne had been getting worse and worse. started off as once a month untill my whole jawline, chin and nose bridge was constantly covered in painfull acne. Both deep cystic and surface acne. I accidentally used the wrong steroid cream for a rash around my mouth and everything nose-down became covered in millions of tiny pimple like things - Perennial Dermatitis. Took 50mg Minocycline once a day at night for the rash and the acne. 3 months later and my skin has been the best it has in over 5 years. I still get a couple of surface pimples and one or two deep ones during ovulation but much better and smooth.

works wonders.... until you get off of it
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

title of the post says it all. it didn't clear ALL my acne, but it sure as hell helped it. i've been taking this pill for about 2 years (yes, that's bad, i know) and gone off of it a total of two times.... and those two times i've never broken out worse in my entire life. very risky drug... & like all antibiotic's it's not a perminent solution.