Page 3 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1104 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Awesome results
Reviewed on January 7, 2015

Been on this for 5 weeks now and between week 4- now I started noticing the results. After week 2 I could tell I wasn't getting new acne but I still had the old acne present. Today I don't have 1 single spot on my face. I have 1 week of pills left and I'm going to see my dr to see if I need any more. So happy with the results . Just need to get rid of the pigmentation that the acne has left behind. I take 50 mg twice a day.

most effective thing i have tried
Reviewed on January 4, 2015

Of all the things I have tried (Rx and non-Rx) this was the most effective (though I've now found a routine that works and does not include this). All antibiotics don't work for all people so if this does not work for you, talk to your doctor- for me, this stuff is great (I tried bactrim first, which works for most ppl but did not work for me and also made me very nauseous). I don't like taking antibiotics for long periods of time. I've used this several times in the past, finding I needed a 6 week course to really clear it all up but boy did it work. I finally found a long term solution for myself with a regimen that includes tretinoin and spironolactone, but I still keep some minacycline on hand just in case I should feel a cyst trying to pop up in which case I take this for a week. Definitely don't forget to take probiotics when you are on this, especially for more than a week or two, or you will definitely pay a price when you have certain foods.

Staying hopeful
Reviewed on December 22, 2014

I was prescribed this drug about a year and a half ago along with an oral birth control pill and it cleared up my acne COMPLETELY! It got much worse before it got better, I would go out for the day and come home with over 20 new pimples on my face...I was very close to giving up but after about the second month on these pills it started to clear up. I am still on the birth control pill today, but only took minocycline for about 6 months. About 5 months ago my acne started to get bad again so I went back on this pill. It is my 4th week and I only see minimal changes. I was wondering if anyone else experienced extreme itchy-ness?! My whole upper body is SO itchy no matter what I do! My neck, back, hands, and scalp are red and dry. I take this pill twice a day with food. I want to stick with it otherwise I will be trying accutane. I also do not like the fact that minocycline can interfere with your birth control pill. Be very careful and use a backup form of birth control!

by Jp1314 on 12/27/2014 02:46
So.... I went to the dermatologist about the itchiness.... Turns out I'm most likely allergic to this stuff although I wasn't before. The itchiness I'm experiencing is actually huge raised hives all over my body! I don't want to stop this pill because it definitely is clearing up my skin. It is now the 5th week and doc said my skin has cleared up about 30%! He now prescribed me bactrim which I am supposed to start tomorrow.
Nothing really has changed
Reviewed on December 4, 2014

I have been on this medication for a little over a month now and nothing really has changed. I am 16 years old and I have had moderate acne for about a year now. My doctor prescribed me Minocycline (50 mg a day) along with Epiduo to test it out and see if it works on me. So far the acne on my forehead has reduced a bit although I have not seen any substantial changes yet. Maybe I have not been on the medication long enough to see results or maybe it just doesn't suffice with my skin, but if by January it still does not work my doctor is going to prescribe me Acutane.

Works
Reviewed on November 7, 2014

Used it for a month and it worked!! Just avoid over-exposure to sunlight.

Works wonders if you use Properly
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

This is the best Antibiotic on the market hands down. Will clear you up if you use properly. Taking a Probiotic is a must while taking any antibiotic. Most negative reviews on here are from people who likely used this medication not the way it is intended and suffered the side effects.

I am on week 4 and almost all existing acne is gone, now I just have to deal with the hell that is red acne scarring, but Minocycline has kicked acne's a$$ for me! Just remember to take a probiotic to keep the good bacteria in you, and the bad bacteria OUT!

by LW175 on 01/04/2015 22:27
I definitely second the probiotics- I found this out the hard way, and then didn't learn my lesson well enough the first time. Also take w/ food (but not dairy) for best absorption while minimizing any nausea.
So far, so good
Reviewed on September 25, 2014

I'm 28 years old and have had pretty good skin my whole life until about a year and a half ago. I started with a couple pimples here and there on my cheeks and forehead then it started getting worse. I decided to get it checked out and the Doctor started me on 100mg of Minocycline capsules, one per day.. I didn't start to see a difference until 3 weeks into the treatment. My skin is starting to clear up especially the redness. The only thing that seems to be sticking around are these pesky closed comedones (whiteheads). But I'm also not seeing any new ones either so I guess that's a good thing. I haven't experienced any negative side effects such as the ones I've been reading about. Today for the first time immediately after taking it, I did get a little dizzy but went away quickly.. Hopefully this medicine continues to work but also nervous that I'm going to start experiencing negative side effects now that I've been on it for almost a month.

Minocycline 100mg
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

This stuff was just awful. I took it for 3 weeks and all of a sudden every joint in my body started hurting and started swelling up. My hips looked like I had baseballs under my skin. Not to mention my knees were so swollen I could hardly stand up without being in agonizing pain. I contacted my dermatologist and she informed me that I had just had a bad reaction to the medicine and to quit taking it. It's been about 4 days since I started swelling and it still is pretty painful. She wants to see me when the swelling goes down to try and prescribe me something else, but I don't know what she will prescribe me. This was supposed to be helping my red marks but it honestly did NOTHING for my face.

Caused more acne and red inflammation
Reviewed on August 17, 2014

I started taking MInocycline 4 months ago and It helped a little with my moderate acne but then i broke out in hives all over my body and my face became inflamed with red spots. I was told by numerous docs that there was no correlation between the reaction and the MInocyline. I was off it up until last week when i had a severe breakout. However I noticed that it was only making it worse and now my forehead is filled with red spots and my acne is not cleared. Very disappointed in this antibiotic and its adverse and side effects. Side effects that I had were headaches, nausea, dizzyness, and of course the reaction.

I

Did nothing for me, don't drink with this
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

This did nothing at all for me, except one time I grabbed a couple of drinks after work with friends and ended up with the world spinning around me because it makes you so dizzy. Don't drink with this. It can also cause your teeth, nails, and skin to become permanently stained, and can also cause lupus...not worth it for a drug that can only work short-term. Doxy worked better for me with less risk of side effects and no dizziness.