Page 2 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1117 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Slow to Kick In
Reviewed on March 14, 2016

I'd say that trying minocyline is worth it because, well, why not. I've been on it for about 5 weeks though, and it's done pretty much nothing for me. I realize that this could be a delayed reaction but I don't think it's the most reliable medicine. But if your dermatologist wants you to try it, I think it's worth a try. The only side effect I've experienced is occasional fatigue and sensitivity to some food.

Minocycline for acne?
Reviewed on March 12, 2016

Hi, so about a year ago I was put on minocycline for acne (akamin 50) with benzoic 5% and it worked quite well on my skin, but I eventually became immune to it. My skin stayed clear for probably... 5months and then it started to get bad again so I got put on doxycycline 50 and I've been on it for 4 months now and have not seen any improvement whatsoever, my face is completely covered in acne and it's quite red too. We went BACK to the doctor and he referred me a script to a dermatologist to go on roaccutane but the term is very expensive and mum doesn't want me on roaccutane. Since I just finished my last dose of doxy, and I've been off it for a few weeks my face looks HORRID. Should I try minocycline again?

DID A GOOD JOB
Reviewed on January 12, 2016

This was the first (and only) acne medication I've taken. Started around 7 months ago. After waiting for this to work (took around 2 months) it finally kicked in and was AMAZING! I'm talking, my friends seriously complimented how smooth and glowing my skin tone was, litterely 0 bumps (even around my period). I feel so confident and looked flawless without makeup. After my prescription ended (after 6 months) I had to wait 3 days to meet up with my doc agan and get it renewed. It was fine during these 3 days and when I started using it again it seemed like my skin recognised the product and it worked. yayyy! Unfortunately, as of around a month ago, this has randomly stopped working !!!??? I didnt skip one, and have continued to take the tablets, but my acne had become worse than before :( deep, cystic acne all over forehead and chin. Very self-conscious. However I shall continue to use it and see what happens.

Overall, I do recommend this. Despite its short-term effects, it did work very well for the first few months :))

Caused Pseudo Tumor Cerebri
Reviewed on August 31, 2015

I took this when I was 17 for my acne. After being on it for only two weeks I started to notice neck pain, headaches, and nausea. After awhile moving and eating just made me vomit. My mom had taken me to the family doctor and the emergency room two times because I could not keep anything down and my head hurt so bad. One of my eyes actually stopped tracking. We finally went to another hospital where I had a spinal tap and a neurologist diagnosed me with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri which was determined to be caused by the Minocycline. I then had to take medicine for several months to reduce the pressure of spinal fluid in my brain and spinal column. Scary stuff!!

by Surubi on 01/04/2016 13:57
Wow, I was diagnosed with the same thing from the same medicine. However, I got the vision and dizziness side effects. Vision problems for someone with near 20/20 vision was an alarm trigger for my family. I got put into a hospital for 3 lumbar punctures and a medicine called Diamox, I just kept getting worse. So one day I stopped taking everything. I've cleared up, no more swelling :D, but I have some back nerve damage and the vision blackout and dizziness come back on rare occasions. I wish they had told me when they handed me the Minocycline that this crap was permanent and scary XD, I would've said screw it, I'll keep my blackheads. Now I'm happy with my acne :D
Temporary Solution
Reviewed on August 21, 2015

I've been struggling with acne since i was 14, I am now 19 years old. I was given oral antibiotics (Minocyline) just last year after being given so many prescription topical treatments (that did nothing but dry out my skin). I took the pills for one month and my skin cleared out instantly, all of my cystic acne went away. I got the occasional bump every month during menstruation but that was it. HOWEVER, recently I've started breaking out again, it's not as bad but it's getting progressively worse. My doctor has prescribed me the same medication for 2 months again, it's not clearing out as fast as it did the first time I took it. I'm not sure if it's clearing out at all. I'm not sure if I would recommend the medication, it works but just temporarily.

It's Been a Month..
Reviewed on July 27, 2015

Yes, I know for some medications it takes 6-8 weeks but hear me out! I have moderate acne all over my body. I have it all down my arms, shoulders, chest, face, and now I've noticed some random red bumps on my back and butt.

Emotionally, it feels like severe acne and I constantly wear long sleeve shorts and jeans to cover it up. Okay, enough ranting.

I was perscribed this medication with epiduo (which I only use on my chest and face). My chest and face seem to be clearing up just the SLIGHTEST bit. My arms, however have shown ZERO improvement. Let me remind you that I am not using the epiduo on my arms.

I just feel as if there should be at least some progress by now. It feels as if I'm wasting my time with this medication. If it does start to get better, I will update this review but it doesn't seem like that will be happening.

UPDATE: Another week in and I'm breaking out like crazy on my arms and face with blackheads and whiteheads. I have also been getting major headaches and sometimes nausea.

Works Temporarily
Reviewed on August 5, 2015

Minocyline was great for my cystic acne for the three months I was on it, and then three months afterwards. But, my acne did suddenly and aggressively return after both rounds. This would be a good short-term fix for an event or vacation.

by MGreene on 01/12/2016 03:59
I totally agree (unfortunately!) I started taking this around 5 months ago and it worked amazingly! However, after 4ish months, my acne came back...worse than before. Oh dear!
Really works but not long-term solution
Reviewed on August 4, 2015

Took this for around 8 months and completely cleared my skin, but like most things, it doesn't last forever. I didn't want to be on antibiotics any longer than this so came off them and the acne eventually returned. Once the acne got bad again I went back on these for another 6 months, and acne once again cleared but came back when I stopped taking them. These will not cure your acne but will help to treat it.

by MGreene on 01/12/2016 04:00
Shame!
Quick Fix
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

Minocycline worked well for my cystic acne, but it's not a good long term solution. I DO recommend it because it does help you get your acne under control while you're waiting on your topicals to start doing their job- but don't expect to take this for more than a 3-6 month cycle. I can't imagine it's very healthy to take longer than a short time period plus eventually it will lose its ability to work as well once your body adapts.

Long term effects not worth it
Reviewed on July 17, 2015

This was the first Rx my derm started me on. It worked for the first couple years I was taking it, but after about about year 3 it was no longer effective for me. The previous reviews are right. Although you can get good results with this Rx, it comes at a cost. Taking antibiotics over a long period of time can wreak havoc on your body all the way from your immune system to your respiratory system. This webMD article does a nice job of summarizing.

[link removed]