Page 5 of Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1199 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Temporarily clears
Reviewed on August 15, 2012

Doxy completely cleared up my skin and has made it look way better than it has in years. I also use Epiduo at night, but I'm convinced that Doxy is what has improved my skin so much. Within 2 months, I saw significant improvement in my acne, and from there on I only saw more. Now, I am completely clear, and if I ever do get pimples they are extremely small whiteheads. I still get a pustule maybe once every two months or so. I am very happy with what Doxy has done for me.

EDIT one year later: I still think Doxy got me out of one of the worst breakouts of my life, however, it did stop working after about 5 months of use. Basically, this only temporarily clears the skin, but sometimes you need that extra boost.

puke
Reviewed on June 17, 2013

Eat when you take this. I forgot once and I threw up in class.

Regret trying this
Reviewed on June 14, 2013

I was taking oral doxycycline 200mg daily for 1 month then 100 mg daily for 5 months. I was using a mild cleanser and a salicylic acid toner (which reduces marks but not pimples).

My skin was markedly improved in 2 weeks or so. It felt really amazing at the time because i would wake up... go to the mirror and my skin would look like a normal person's for almost 6 months. I did get tiny whiteheads around my period but nothing serious. They would go away quickly. It cleared my face and back which were the only places i ever got acne.

About a week after coming off the antibiotics I started to break out really badly. I got multiple painful cysts about 2 weeks after stopping and I broke out for the first time on my chest. It was aweful. It took a while to get my skin to calm down and I wished I could've locked myself up in my house while it was recovering. It made me regret ever trying it in the first place.

Worth the Side Effects?
Reviewed on June 14, 2013

My Dr. gave me a few weeks script of Doxy to jump start my acne clear up regimen. It helped to slow down the acne flair ups. However, it gave me a horrible side effect of a yeast infection. I stopped using it and of course my acne came back full force. So I began using the Doxy again, and 2 weeks in I got another yeast infection.

My Dr. switched me to a topical clindamycin, which I've been using for almost a year. HELPS! The Doxy, not so much.

If I'm on it FOREVER .... great!?!
Reviewed on June 12, 2013

This worked great for my cystic acne. Used it twice for extended periods of time (6 months & then 1 year). Just recently discontinued use 2 weeks ago. Exactly as with what happened the last time, not even 2 weeks later ..... 4 PAINFUL, CYSTIC pimples have already appeared on my chin (all within the last 3 days) .... and I have a huge social function to attend this weekend. I know long term antibiotics are potentially dangerous because of the possibility of drug resistant microorganisms; but ...... I WANT MY ANTIBIOTICS BACK!!!!

not impressed
Reviewed on June 9, 2013

this stuff is the same as any medication, it will work for a while but your acne will eventually come back.

Eh
Reviewed on June 9, 2013

It does help control a little bit of my acne, although I still break out consistently. Especially with cystic acne.

Sort of helped
Reviewed on June 7, 2013

I took 100mg twice a day helped the swelling redness and inflammation but not the acne😨

Sort of helps
Reviewed on June 7, 2013

I tried every topical medication for acne but finally found out about doxycycline and was given it by my derm it helped me a lot because my acne was very swollen and infected using his brought down the swelling redness and inflation also helped my infection but didnt really help my acne itself😨

Saved my face
Reviewed on June 6, 2013

So, this is a vague review because this started years ago. I had really bad acne my whole life and I tried everything under the sun. My doctor one day prescribed doxycycline along with my birth control. 100 mg in the morning and a 100mg at night. I take a lot of medication to begin with but there is one thing I learned with this medication. Never...EVER take this on an empty stomach. You will likely get nauseous.

Slowly but surely, my face cleared up and I rarely get pimples now. The reason I put down "inconsistently" is because I can't get the antibiotic anymore for the past 2 years (why, I don't know... shortage?) but, my face is still clear. I think it has a lot to do with entering my 20's. Even though it helps with the pimples, I still have blackheads and whiteheads on my face. Seriously though, this really saved my face from further damage in my teenage years because I had breakouts that would swell my face.