Page 2 of Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1207 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Great- short term
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

I have been dependent on the cycline family for 20 years. I began "breaking through" more and more, likely as my intestinal flora suffered and suffered. Always a low dose, for inflammation, not enough to kill the acne.

In short, get yourself through a bad period with this, but it's a band-aid, and it can cause more problems in the long run.

its alright if you know what it is and you know how to use it
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

Well I've taken it for sometime and have used it for about a month along with tretinoin and it did make my acne a bit worse before it started getting better and then I stopped doxy. and started using accutane and so far (day9) haven't had any initial breakout (fingers cross)

by glitznzits on 08/08/2014 17:11
Don't take any tetracycline with accutane!!! Omg. It can cause a fatal increase in the pressure inside your skull. It's highly contradicted. Erythromycin is safe.
It works but study up on it first!
Reviewed on August 3, 2014

I went to my doctor because I had a bad case of bacne (back acne) but it turned out to be some sort of bacterial infection...sorry, I can't recall its name. Its from excessive sweating and possibly supplements I take. I don't really have facial acne but I do have a minor case of rosacea as well so he prescribed Doxycyline for both. Within 5 days my back is almost 90% clear and the minor redness on my face is gone. I definitely feel like my skin looks alot tighter/smooth. For those complaining about being nauseous, vomiting, stomach aches etc. are you reading the label warnings? Make sure you are taking this on a full stomach during or immediately after meal or else you will feel sick. Also my label said do not consume dairy products within two hours of taking it. Hopefully my skin will stay this way once I'm off of it!

by ValoQueen on 11/20/2014 16:59
Mine says empty stomach
help!
Reviewed on July 27, 2014

I'm currently taking doxy(been taking it for a week now) I get terrible stomach pain, and feel nauseous. I don't have terrible "acne", but it bothers me. it's mainly my cheek area. I've been to the dermatologist a couple times, and have been prescribed different antibiotics. nothing really works. doxy has seem to be the only antibiotic that has done some work! I'm worried that when ever I finish my bottle the "acne" will come back! what should I do?

by Rocker165 on 07/27/2014 09:19
the stomach pain and nausea are the side effects of taking doxy. i'm a doxy user myself and i've experience those side effect during my first few weeks of taking the antibiotic. But perhaps you should discuss with your dermatologist if you can also use topical products for your acne and not just treat it with antibiotic coz in most cases, acne that is treated with antibiotics alone usually come back once you stop taking the pill.
Antibiotics are the devil and set me up for an acne disaster. Go natural to get clear!
Reviewed on July 9, 2014

I've struggled with moderate acne off and on for years. I've tried everything - proactiv (worked for a few years), laser treatments, chemical peels, minocycline, doxycycline, basically I've been around the acne/skin care block! I have an old review that is fairly positive on doxy. It worked. I cleared up. My skin got worse and then I started taking a double dose. I was on antiobiotics fairly daily for about two years and I was fairly pleased with the results.

Then I got pregnant. And I wasn't able to take doxy anymore.

Skin was great until my third trimester when I started getting bumps all over my chin and down my neck. I was reacting to everything I put on my skin. The doctors said it would get better once the baby was born. It didn't. It got a MILLION TIMES WORSE. I developed dozens of painful cystic/almost rash like acne all around my mouth and all over my chin. It was attributable to breastfeeding hormones. For pictures check out [link removed].

I've now cleared up my skin by ditching the antiobiotics completely (my doctor put me on tetracycline for the latest blow up but I couldn't fill the prescription), and going the natural and holistic route. Candida cleanses and anti-fungals are my new best friend and after a few months of clean eating, a few week long candida cleanses, taking fermented cod liver oil and drinking fresh milk kefir like it's going out of style, I have beautiful, glowing skin with minimal breakouts. As I have the best skin when I'm limiting my sugar intake and doing full blown candida cleanses, I'm convinced antibiotics destroyed all of my good gut bacteria that yeast and my hormones/liver started wreaking havoc on my skin. Please, throw out the doxy and find a naturopath to help heal your gut and get some good bacteria growing. You will not regret it. It isn't an easy fix going the natural/diet and skincare route, but it will give you beautiful skin in the long run and help you gain control over your skin and life. Heal yourself from the inside.

You people are idiots and screw up the ratings on this product
Reviewed on June 17, 2014

seriously do any of you have an education at all? or do any basic research on yourself? If you take ANY antibotic for years, even months your body will build immunity to it. You body will build immunity to almost everything. Antibiotics are NOT meant to be taken for months let alone years for this reason. If you acne that won't clear up within weeks on an antibiotic you should stop taking them and change your diet etc. but odds are most are too lazy and looking for an easier solution.

by Mocarlos on 09/23/2014 01:13
Amen to that
Seemed to be working but made me puke like crazy
Reviewed on June 13, 2014

I developed a skin infection after getting a sunburn from using a terrible moisturizing lotion. I already had some acne, I scratched too much at the sunburn, and wham. I got a huge line of gross pustules running up the left side of my face. I was supposed to take Doxycycline for 10 days until it cleared, but I could only take it for seven due to the extreme nausea it gave me. The first night, I spent about eight hours puking over the toilet. The rest of the week, I didn't puke but my stomach still felt awful. I tried to stick with it because it was really clearing the infection and some of my acne. Too bad I couldn't finish it and the infection came back. If this doesn't make you sick, I think it'll work for you since it's pretty strong.

Severe nausea and headaches.
Reviewed on May 20, 2014

I absolutely hated this product. My dermatologist prescribed me it for my severe acne, and I wish he didn't! It made me severely nauseous, to the point where I couldn't eat for days. I generally felt ill 24/7 and had severe headaches and dizziness. I could barely function throughout the day and noticed no change in my acne whatsoever. Having to run out of a supermarket and a workplace to vomit isn't fun at all! I wouldn't recommend this product at all! And if you're on it, I hope you have better luck than me!

Good at first but nah...
Reviewed on May 14, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline for my acne for 2 weeks. It was great at first as I saw my acnes drying but on the 2nd week I think my acnes develop resistance and it came back with much worst breakouts. Don't ever trust antibiotics

DOXYCYCLINE AND ALL ANTIBIOTICS FOR ACNE ARE DANGEROUS
Reviewed on May 13, 2014

When I was 26, I saw a dermatologist for persistent cystic acne and doxycycline was the first line of defense. I saw great results and after six months, she told me to take the pill every other day and wean off. After a few days of weaning, I developed a terrible, golfball sized cyst on my shoulder that took weeks to rupture, days to drain, and months to heal. I was prescribed to take DOUBLE to dose of doxy to clear it up, and then revert back to my usual once daily. And with that, the prescription was never addressed again. I continued taking doxy, 100mg once daily, for five years. I never had any side effects and honestly it did work very well for a while in tersm of my acne...

Around year four, the effects started to wear off. I was no longer seeing a derm as the specialist copays were too high and I was not receiving the kind of attention to warrant paying the cost when a derm would take hours out of my day and $60 out of my pocket to literally glance at my face and refill my rx, so I was now having the medication managed by my primary care physician. I told the PCP that I thought the doxy was losing its effectiveness. She simply parroted the routine to me about how doxy is the best, most effective antibiotic out there and the only other option would be to see a derm. Occasionally I would see a new dem, and the same song and dance always: antibiotics and harsh topical treatments.

As the acne started getting rampantly worse, I changed my diet. I eliminated dairy completely and started eating mostly gluten free. I had always been good with water, fruits and veggies, and vitamins, but now I was switching over to all organic, nonprocessed foods and trying to add homeopathic solutions to my rapidly failing regimen of doxycycline and retinoids,

And then the worst of the worst happened. After a particularly stressful year, where I moved out of Florida to Georgia, I experienced my first winter, and the perfect storm hit. I had always had one t four cysts at a time, and whiteheads, but I had never scarred, and I have never experienced anything like the acne I was starting to get. Without my knowing it, I was harvesting a superbug in my system with the prolonged use of antibiotics. And the retirnoids and exfoliators that had been, unbeknownst to me, causing tiny tears in my skin, were being exposed to their first long stretches of indoor heating, so my face started essentially bubbling off with infection. In November 2013 I developed severe abscessed cellulitis - an ABSCESS ON MY FACE. It was about the size, shape, and depth of my pinky, right across my cheek starting at the nose going down at a diagonal. And the whole rest of my face was purple and inflamed, with white heads and cysts all over. My face would crack when I would talk, smile, eat, or laugh, and pus would ooze out. The abscess was the worst for this. The gaping holes in it were the size of pencil erasers and would SQUIRT green pus and fluid when I would smile. I could literally see the mounds of infection in my peripheral vision. People stared at me in public like I had leprosy. It was like this until March. I put humidifiers in every room of my house cranked up to 70% humidity, and had to take Bactrim for two months plus use topical mupiricin. In case you don't know, this is how they treat MRSA.

I saw a very expensive doctors and after spending a few grand on tests (with insurance -- and I am by no means a wealthy person) it was concluded the following:

1. Prolonged antibiotic use had created a superbug.

2. All of my good gut flora had been demolished and I had in its place a severe overgrowth of bad bacteria.

3. My entire body was affected, from my hormones to my endocrine system.

4. I was not absorbing mot of the nutrition I was eating.

5. My body was not processing fiber, even though I eat it in large amounts.

6. I have fungal infection covering most of my body.

7. I now get yeast infections and severe facial scarring, which I never had before.

8. My immune system sucks and I get sick all. the. time.

9. I also cannot enjoy the things I once did, like pizza or beer, without severe consequences both to my face and to my entire body which experiences flu-like symptoms and extreme fatigue at the slightest provocation.

So now I am taking the long, slow, expensive road toward fixing my body after what doxycycline did to me. The bad breakout and abscess are thankfully gone now and I have started going out into the world again after spending many months at home (I work from home so thank god I did not have to be somewhere when I was a dripping pus-faced monster). I have to take so many pills a day that I feel like an AIDS patient, and my immune system sucks almost as badly as one. I am constantly wary of infections, anywhere in my body, and have already had to get a severe cyst removed from my shoulder (in the exact same spot where the one mentioned earlier in this post was originally). I battle infections of yeast and bacteria on the regular, including but not limited to my vagina. I have to be meticulous about my diet, hygiene, and the hygiene of those around me. Even cuddling is a chore because I cannot lay my face on any surface that is less than immaculately cleaned and sterile. I am currently undergoing a regimen to try and kill what is living inside me while repopulating my good gut flora, so I have been taking one hardcore antibiotic or another in round for months. Side effects of these antibiotics include making me sluggish and stupid, and incredibly forgetful, and it scares me sometimes how much my BRAIN is being affected by this. Also, I get my periods every 21 days. Or sometimes 35 days. It's impossible to say. Going back on birth control is next, since the hormonal medication I've been taking since this mess started isn't really helping...

This is what happens when people take antibiotics for prolonged periods. It WRECKS YOUR BODY AND YOUR BRAIN. And it is SO IGNORANT to think "oh well I will just switch to another class of antibiotics then because who cares?" You SHOULD care. Go google resistant bacteria and the fact that overuse of antibiotics is putting humanity on the brink of a second dark ages where routine infections go back to killing us because we have nothing that can kill them. There hasn't been a new class of ABs in decades and once you have run through them all, you are screwed. Is acne really worth it? You think your acne is bad? Try having a DRIPPING, GAPING ABSCESS ON YOUR FACE FOR FOUR MONTHS. Try looking like burn victim now. Try living your life feeling ill all the time and being poisoned by everything you come into contact with because you ruined your immune system and god knows what is living inside of you. Dermatologists who prescribe antibiotics as their first line of defense against acne should be shot, and people who are ignorant enough to take them and just assume they can afford to burn through every class of antibiotics are contributing to the dissolution of our species when the bacteria finally win.

Have a nice day.