Page 2 of Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 1221 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Steer clear of antibiotics
Reviewed on June 12, 2015

Ok so antibiotics are not the answer to cure your acne. I've been on doxy and Minocycline and both made me get worse acne then before I started the treatment. On Doxy, I got really sick when I took it in the morning because you can't take it with food. It also made me really sensitive to the sun. It made me break out so badly for a month before it started working, and as soon as I finished the treatment my skin came back with a vengeance, because you eventually build up an immunity to it and your pimples also get meaner and more stubborn and they spread to other areas. So if you want to not have to rely on antibiotics, try a good skincare regime (even this can take 3 months to work), and perhaps look at your hormone levels etc

Better than Minocycline
Reviewed on June 9, 2015

Minocycline gave me brain fog but I had no side effects from Doxycycline and it worked better for my acne.

not worth it
Reviewed on May 25, 2015

i started out with bumpy, red acne on my forehead and on both of my cheeks. my forehead is clear, but both of my cheeks have no improvement. as well as I have a burning chest, throat + back pains which caused me to go to the er and miss a whole week of school. the clean forehead was definitely not worth the pain in my chest.

by SensuousEpoch on 09/25/2015 06:20
Weird question? Do you ever take this than lay down? The antibiotic gettin stuck in your throat if not fully invested can cause things like esophagitis- or inflammation of the esophagus because of how strong the medication is. I make sure to take it with lots of water to make sure I get it down
Works, with side effects
Reviewed on May 22, 2015

I had a horrible break out. It lasted 3 months. Just when things were looking up I had an allergic reaction and had to take prednisone. 2 weeks later I was living in hell, twice as bad. The doxy cleared me up in 2 months. Problem is, I lost 25 lbs while I was on it. Couldn't eat dairy products. And your body will get used to it after awhile. It works great but with a price.

Hoping it works
Reviewed on April 22, 2015

I've had acne since my 5th grade year, I'm now a junior which means I've had acne for 7 years. It hurts so bad to have to walk around with huge pimples on your nose, chin, and under your nose. Right now I have two HUGE pimples on my nose and a tiny pimple on my chin, with a lot of dark spots😩😞. It's hard to not be able to look people in the eyes because I'm so ashamed of my face & it's even harder to be the only one in your family to have acne. After trying proactive, clean & clear, neutrogina , BP, etc.. Nothing worked.Back in December my dr put my on doxycycline for two weeks and I notice that it reduce the size of my pimples, but when I finished the bottle I wasn't able to go back.. So finally I had my dr send me to the dermatologist. The dr prescribed me on doxycycline & two other things ( I can't remember what there called). I've been taking it for a week but I haven't really notice any change but I know its going to take some time, so I'll continue taking it. The worst part is that it makes me feel so sick and I have terrible headaches, as for right now I feel so sick ever since I took it this morning. I go see the dr in May so I'm hoping by then I'll see some improvement. Oh also I started back using tea tree oil mixed with water and put directly on the pimples. Anyways Im praying I get clear skin for the FIRST TIME by summer or by my birthday which is in sept. I've been reading the reviews and so far I've been seeing good things, just hope I also get the results I want.

Definitely works...depending on what kind of acne you have
Reviewed on March 15, 2015

I've struggled for decades now with acne on and off, mostly of the mild-moderate variety with the occasional hormonal cystic pimple that usually would never come to the surface. Starting a few months ago, I went through a series of extremely stressful life events (relationship, work, family health issues, etc.) It was honestly the most horrible time of my life, and my skin suffered. Badly. I broke out -- oddly almost entirely on the left side of my face -- with sort of cystic looking pimples. Think bright red, super raised from the surface of my skin, like frozen peas underneath the skin. The worst part was that I'd get a cluster of a few that would basically merge together into a pulsing, throbbing mess. These "cysts" actually came to the surface. The top layer of skin would dry out and start to peel, which looked bad enough, but then I'd actually get green/yellow pus oozing from them. So horrible. I felt like I could barely leave the house! I mean, people would stare.

Let me also mention that at the same time, I always had my more normal variety of very small spots, mostly around my jawline. No big deal at all with these -- easy to cover up with makeup and would usually go away on their own in a few days.

Anyway, I also wound up hurting my hand taking a fall and got a scrape that became infected. My doctor basically looked at it and my face and was like, you need an oral antibiotic right now. He gave me Doxy, 2x100 mg a day. In less than 24 hours, not only did my hand scab over, turn a normal color again and stop hurting, but nearly 100% of the raised acne went down and also became way less red. They're all in a healing process right now -- and no new cystic bumps whatsoever. The improvement is dramatic. It will definitely take a few more weeks for everything to heal and start to fade, and unfortunately, I do think there is some scarring that I'll need to get a peel/laser for, but I can't recommend this antibiotic enough.

BUT, I want to mention that the minor acne I always had is basically exactly the same. It seems like this should be reserved for severe infections. I obviously have had some stress-related immune suppressing things going on, and this is the backup artillery my immune system needed to fight off the bacteria that were running rampant. I'm planning on weaning off of it in a few weeks and also focusing on stress reduction in my life right now.

Reviewed on March 3, 2015

I have been on several topical creams and this is the first tablet i could finally get my fricken doctor to give me. I'm 15 and i have constant pimples for about 3 years now. It is so exhausting, they are not as bad as some people's I know but for me they make me so upset i try to avoid mirrors all together to be honest, because when I see it it puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Anyway so i started doxycycline 2 weeks ago, my doctor gave me 100mg tablets for 7 days and then 50g for the rest. She said i would notice an improvement in 10 days... well thats not right at all because my pimples are worse 2 weeks later. Not sure if its because i am taking such a small dosage, the tablet is about 1/5 size of a 10 cent coin, how can that do anything? Most frustrating thing. Anyway she also gave me epiduo (another cream... what a joy) and i seriously cannot say that either of them are doing a thing. Getting soo exhausted seeing my friends with such clear faces, one of them went of roaccutane and her full face of acne was cleared in a month, I really want to go on it but my mum doesn't want me to.. part of my frustration. Wasting my time with tiny tablets and sh*t creams. Ugh. Please let me know if this is your situation and if this stuff is the classic: "you have to have patience" because i had patience for 8 months on differin so please dont tell me that.

by Ohioe on 03/14/2015 03:18
My daughter, 15, struggling. Lots of prescriptions from dermatologist, and not a lot of improvement. Google oil of oregano. We are starting that tomight, dilute the essential oil, or it will burn.
by Brooke35 on 05/10/2015 11:50
Try Diane 35 it is truely amazing I went from a face full of acne to totally clear in about 3 months!
by Dianne12345 on 06/08/2015 22:19
My daughter went on Roaccutane at age 12, it honestly is a miracle cure, I see lots of teens with acne, and I wish their parents would put them on roaccutane, it does also take a while however, around 3-4 months from memory to have clear skin, it also heals up any existing scarring
by AlainaAtk66 on 07/21/2015 06:43
My dermatologist prescribed me this antibiotic a few days ago, so I can't say anything about my personal results. However, he did tell me the acne will usually get worse before it gets better, because the bacteria is being drawn out of your skin and onto the surface. Most people who have been on this drug say the acne is at its worst during the treatment at about 4 weeks, and then it starts to improve from their.
Miracle Worker
Reviewed on February 10, 2015

I'm 20 year old female that one month ago, had terrible hormonal cystic acne. Acne has always been something I have battled with for years, but recently it had become worse than I had ever experienced. I decided it was time to get a prescription of an effective antibiotic and was prescibed Doxycycline (100mg 2x a day) due to the fact that my skin wasn't responding to any of the cleansers/topicals/or regimens that i had tried over the years. The first few weeks definitely had a negative effect on my skin, since my skin was at the purging stage. However, STAY WITH IT. It has only been about 5 weeks now, and i kid you not, my acne is completely gone. I haven't got a single pimple since the purging stage and I couldn't be happier. Yes, many complain about the nausea that accompanies the antibiotic, but i don't find it unbearable. As long it is taken in the morning right before breakfast, and at night right before dinner, there shouldn't be any issues. Although it has only been a month since i started, I cannot see how doxycycline could possibly have adverse effects. Im so very pleased with my results, and I cannot wait to see what it does for my skin long term! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on February 9, 2015

Okay, so I never write reviews but this prescription really cleared my face! My break outs got so bad by December of last year that it started affected my life In a negative way. I decided I've had enough so I decided to go to my school doctor, and she prescribed me this. I took 100 mg twice daily for two months. The first month I didn't notice much improvement in fact I broke out a bit more ! However, I just finished my second month and I literally only have four pimples left! Of course, I do have some scarring but they are very faint. I would post pictures here but I don't think I can? Anyways I would recommend ! The only side effect I had was that if I took it without food I would get very nauseous, so I had to take it with food.

She recently changed me to minocycline for my 3rd month, so I will keep this updated!

Works decent for a while, mild stomach upset
Reviewed on February 6, 2015

Took this as a 23 year old female with moderate acne - took 100mg/day for 3 months, and then 200mg/day for 9 months.

For me, this product started working quickly, and my moderate acne became mild for the first 8 months I took it. After that, the effectiveness slowly dwindled, as my acne became resistant to the antibiotic (as it always does eventually). I have heard that applying topical benzoyl peroxide can delay this resistance, but I did not try it personally.

I think it's worth noting that while I have taken 5 different oral antibiotics for acne, this is the only one that seemed to upset my stomach. I experienced intermittent nausea on the higher dose. It was a pain, but not enough of a pain for me to give up my clear-er skin, so I persisted.

by EZfreezy on 05/11/2015 22:24
Benzoyl peroxide only decreases the chance of antibiotic resistance with topical antibiotics, not oral ones.