Olive Oil

Recommended by 78% of visitors

Average price: $6.77

Most helpful review

By Shane, New York on 01/25/2013

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a miracle prosuct that saved me, before acne broke out. I am so happy for my caribg Italian friends, and I love to use the oil for dry skin, and my food. Everyone should know this Mediterranean secret! It works!.

Pros:
  • I had very oily skin as a young teen being only 14. I was afraid of the acne that would soon breakout. I washed my face with water crazy, until I had dry and oily skin. I went to a camp over the summer where I met 4 Italian kids with great skin. They recomended Extra Virgin Olive Oil for treatment. They used Extra Virgin Olive Oil for everything, and they were so healthy and young looking. They had Extra Virgin Olive Oil with them in their suitcase.
Cons:
  • They had oil put in a bottle for me. I tried it every night. 1.Wash face with water. 2. Massage a thin layer of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to face. 3. Dab face dry lightly with a washcloth.
  • ... The next morning my face was so toned and soft. I was amazed. I used it every nught and after about three weeks...my skin was healed and I no longer have fear of acne. Extra Virgin Olive Oil has been used as a beauty product for many years in the Mediterranean.

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Not sure”
By on

Ok so I massaged it onto my face vigorously for 20 mins everyday for about 3-4 weeks until I started to see loads of little red spots on my forehead.

Its really heavy.

Left my skin worse than it was before I done this (all I had was mainly scars)

Pros

• Good moisturiser
  • Easy to put on

Cons

• Left my skin red after 3-4 weeks of everyday use
  • Takes time to put on
  • Can stretch your skin and cause wrinkles
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Very nice”
By on

Just put a little, that's all. I usually apply it pure and undiluted directly to my face. Been using it for a few weeks. Doesn't break me out and doesn't clog pores like the Cetaphil moisturizer. My oily skin and very oily T-zone stopped being oily and now I look normal. My skin tone has evened out, I don't have to use bleaching cream to get rid of scars. It's worth a try, definitely.

I apply in the morning, and during the afternoon, I apply some more and wipe off the excess to refresh the skin and remove accumulated dirt.

I'll update this in a few months to see if the results are consistent. :)

EDIT:

It calms down pimples, pimples last a few days, rather than weeks.

Pros

• Evened out skin tone and texture
  • Very smooth skin!
  • Calms pimples+breakouts

Cons

• Can get into the eyes and blur your vision if you use a lot or if you put on your eyelids
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Works well”
By on

Didn't get rid of acne but it calmed it down and was a good moisturizer for after face wash

Pros

• Doesn't clog pores
  • Makes skin soft

Cons

• Slimy feeling
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• very light
  • $ 9

By on

I was pretty scared to use any kind of "oil" on my face at all, I always thought oil was the "bad guy" and to be avoided at all costs! However, BP and salicylic acid really do a number on your skin, making mine red and dry and flaky. So I heard some good things, bought a little 2 dollar bottle from Wal-Mart, and took the plunge.

I'm so glad I did! I've never had a problem breaking out from this. It's too heavy to be wearing out during the day, but I gently massage a little bit on before bed and it keeps my skin nice and soft. It also works great as a scrub if you add a little sugar to it, just be gentle and massage lightly. A sugar scrub with olive oil will make your skin feel heavenly. I feel like it's also helped fade some of my scars!

Pros

• Makes skin so soft
  • doesn't break me out at all
  • soothing and smells good (to me!)
  • gives skin a nice glow

Cons

• obviously a bit oily, will make your skin shiny
  • some people don't like the smell
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 2
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

When I was 12-13 I would try to kill my acne with tea tree oil. Lo and behold, when you are 12 and have no idea what moderation is, you completely kill your skin lol. My whole face was completely red, flaky, and sore. It had completely shattered my confidence.

After a good 6-8 months of trying 100 different moisturizers, remedies, and the like, I convinced my mom to take me to a dermatologist for it - but I had to get a reference from my GP. He basically facepalmed at me and told me to sleep with a fair amount of olive oil on my face every night for 2 months, and if I didn't see results from that he would refer me to a derm. Within 4 weeks the redness was fading, and by the end of my 2 month term my skin tone was completely back to normal, albeit if I wore make-up you could still see that my skin was a bit flaky.

I'm 19 now and still fight with my dry skin (moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!), and a couple times a month I sleep with olive oil on my face and have no trouble with redness!

Pros

• soft skin
  • completely gets rid of any redness
  • helps fade acne scars
  • no breakouts if used limitedly

Cons

• I can't stand the smell of some brands lol
  • did cause breakouts when I used it everyday, but I was using it to nullify redness so I wasn't too concerned
  • oily so unless you have wonderful confidence it is something you can only use at home
  • if you sleep with it on it can stain pillowcases due to the oil, but again, not a big deal - just use pillowcases you aren't fond of
  • moderate
  • inconsistently

By on

I have acne prone skin, and used this as a replacement to my usual moisturizer for a few weeks. My goodness, I noticed little bumps and whiteheads forming at first, then all of a sudden my face exploded with acne like I haven't seen since my teen years.

Olive oil may work great if you have normal skin and not prone to breakouts, but for me it really clogged up my face and made things so much worse. I guess the oil was too suffocating, trapping dead skin cells and feeding the acne bacteria in my face. Anyway, stay clear of this stuff unless you have naturally normal acting skin.

Pros

• Easy to find
  • Cheap
  • Natural

Cons

• Too thick for my skin
  • Clogged pores
  • Gave me cystic acne
  • Greasy
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 5

By on

I have been using this as a moisturizer in the morning and night for a few weeks. At first I was using way too much, so my skin actually ended up being drier (probably because my skin stopped producing its own oil). Now I wash my face with a mild cleanser and then apply a little bit of olive oil (maybe 3-4 drops?) to my face while it's wet. I keep rubbing it in until all of the water and oil have been absorbed, which does not take very long. I am sensitive to a lot of skin care products, as most things break me out, and while results vary a lot from person to person, I would encourage you to try out olive oil and see how it goes for you.

Pros

• Absorbs pretty quickly (if you don't use too much)
  • Very moisturizing
  • Doesn't cause break outs

Cons

• Easy to use too much
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

During the winter my skin gets so dry and flaky that I can peel it off, and it just makes make up look disgusting. I decided to try applying olive oil to my face once a week, and it did wonders! I mixed it with sugar to exfoliate and remove the dry skin, and it made my skin so soft, smooth, and healthy looking.

I apply it with my fingers, let it set for 5-15 minutes, and rinse it off in the shower. I follow with my normal facial cleanser and the acne.org regimen. I do this once a week, and my skin looks better than ever!

Also, this did not cause me to break out at all, but it also didn't help my acne. It's simply a moisturizer. I've had bad experiences with jojoba oil, and even though this is much thicker and doesn't absorb much into skin, it made my skin softer and didn't have any bad consequences.

I definitely recommend this!

Pros

• Excellent moisturizer
  • Can be used as a scrub
  • Evened my skin tone
  • Made acne scars a little less noticeable
  • Makes skin glow!

Cons

• None
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

In a moment of desperation, I decided to give the oil cleansing method a try, in conjunction with some other natural remedies (lemon juice and manuka honey/oatmeal/jojoba mask) I had researched on the internet. I truly regret this decision as it caused my oily sensitive skin to breakout in cystic acne nearly every-day (I usually only get cysts around "that time" and when I'm under a lot of stress). I massaged my face with organic cold pressed virgin olive oil nightly, placed a warm cloth over my skin (to open and cleanse pores) and proceeded to wash the olive oil off as best as I could. For the next few days, my skin began breaking out relentlessly. I chalked it up to the "breakout period" of using a new product and thought that the oil might be deeply cleansing my skin of its toxins in some way. I felt awful seeing my skin's sore and bumpy texture in the mirror, but I continued to use the olive oil for another 2 weeks. Although it felt "right" to use something that was completely natural, it came to the point where my self-esteem could no longer handle my new regime. I cut out the olive oil completely, and went back to my gentle Aveda BP products. It took some time for my skin to re-adjust, but I could tell almost immediately that olive oil was not for my skin. Sometimes the simpler, and less rigorous/abrasive acne regime - the better. I have personally found the best results in gentler natural products - such as manuka honey and aloe vera. I may not have found the results I so longed, but at I have learnt my unfortunate lesson when it comes to searching for a miraculous acne cure.

I suppose for some the oil might work to their skins advantage, but before taking it upon yourself to try out any natural remedies, I would recommend the help of a naturopath or patch-testing at the very least. Remember that everyone's skin will react differently. Good luck with your skin! You are all beautiful, whether you realize it or not... your acne does NOT define

Pros

• Skin was soft - moisturized effectively
  • Soothed scars
  • Made skin-tone more even in general (minus acne)
  • Olive Oil did not leave oily residue

Cons

• Caused new zits (both whiteheads and cysts) to come to the surface
  • Skin produced more oil (I was actually quite surprised by this, since what I had read claimed that the OCM had the opposite effect)
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.