Page 3 of Not Washing or Water Only reviews

Not Washing or Water Only

Amazing life experience, but didn't work for me
Reviewed on July 22, 2016

I am giving it three stars instead of only one, because i want to not only rate it based on acne, but also how eye opening this was. As someone who has struggled with acne for 10+ years and has ALWAYS worn makeup and sincerely cared what other people saw on my face, this was by far the most challenging thing I have ever done. For 4 months I did not wash my face, not even with water. I won't tell you my whole experience, because I logged it all on my page, but long story short my acne never got better, if anything it got worse since I was jumping straight from BP every day to literally nothing. But how liberating!! It was amazing to have my only night and morning ritual be brushing my teeth!! And although my acne increased gradually, I was able to see how people around me literally did not care if I had acne or not. They still treated me wonderfully, enjoyed being around me and I continued to make friends. I only wish that it cleared my acne. I am going to start back up on Dan's regimen because that has been the only thing that has worked for me, but now, I won't be as obsessed over one or two totally normal pimples, as opposed to the over 80 that I had on this "regimen."

I think that everyone should try the caveman regimen for at least one month. What have you got to lose? If your acne gets worse just go back to whatever you have been doing. You never know, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who gets cleared. Either way, you will be humbled during the process, and realize that you are more than just your appearance.

by jess95 on 07/25/2016 04:43
I just read all your logs. I gave up my skincare routine in late December 2015 (stopped using Retin-A, topical antibiotics). By Jan 2015 I used only water and sometimes spayed my face with the AO Biome Motherdirt Bacteria Water. Then by March 2015 I stopped all products and stopped washing my face with water. Since then, I have had massive oil/filament buildup and dead skin. I think that's the worst part. I have never scrubbed it off with water because that would be breaking my no water rule, but I have picked off some of the worst parts with a dry fingernail, but left the majority 70% still on. I have also been trying the No Poo method on my hair at the same time. My acne has slowed but I still have some. My nose still gets oily and there are blackheads. I am going to keep on doing this exactly this way until Jan 2017. I have been eating a vegan diet mostly high carb/low fat since October 2015. This "experiment" has definitely taken a toll on my self-esteem and social life. My family has not asked me about it because I think they are scared that if they mention it they will break me and I will get more depressed (I think I already look very depressed). However, the routine has helped me not care as much about my appearance and has been mentally cleansing. I love not spending so much time in front of the mirror. I try not to look at myself too much and just relax and not care about every little thing. So ya...the dead skin is a motherf**ker but I'm continuing to chug on. I have hope that my skin just needs a year to regain strength. I'm proud of myself for lasting this long without any mess ups or breakdowns where I desperately scrub my face or start using products again. I think every person that tries this is very strong-willed. Thank you for sharing your story Rachel...it helped me a lot because you lasted so much longer than most!
SUCCESS AT LAST!
Reviewed on July 21, 2016

As you probably have, I have tried and tested every product on the market. You name it, I'v used it. Surprise surprise, none of them worked. One of my friends used to struggle with severe acne. She too had tried everything and decided that nothing worked. She had told me about a water only washing routine that cleared her skin so of course, I wanted to try it out.

Resisting all of the products was the hardest part. I would go as far as saying I had an addiction to washing my face; I would wash it 8 times a day which is not good of course, especially because I was using a different concoction of chemicals each time. To list just a FEW of the products I tried: Liz Earle cleanse and polish (the worst of all, caused cystic acne), Good things berry cleanser (disgusting smell and left an awful residue), L'Oréal grapefruit scrub (deeply regret using this), Origins a perfect world (the best of the lot if you feel you can't go without cleansing) and Botanics facial wash FOR MEN (yes I even resulted in using my brothers face wash that he doesn't use, that's how desperate I was!!!). Anyway, about a week ago (a little bit of Bobby Shmurda) I thought to myself that using all these chemicals can't be doing any good so I literally chucked all of my skincare products in the bin and you know what? It was the best thing I ever did! Just ONE week into the routine, my skin is glowing and clear. I don't want to jinx it but I do not have any inflamed red bumps or any of the other nasty stuff- how rare! I have not been this happy in so long because as you know, acne really gets you down!

For anyone who wishes to know my skincare routine-

Morning- Wash face with cold water really well- NO CLEANSERS, NO CLOTHS and DO NOT TOWEL DRY!*

Towels have lots of bacteria hiding inside them contributing to acne

Evening-Wash face with cold water only and NO TOWEL DRYING! Hand action only!!!

P.S- Sometimes I wash my face midday too because your face will be slightly oily for a couple of days but this soon goes away!

If you do have acne, do not worry it will go away! There are thousands of other people going through the same thing and we who have it in our teenage years are lucky in a way because we won't have it when we enter the dating scene but only IF YOU LEAVE YOUR SKIN ALONE!!! I have so much more I want to write but I will bore you so I REALLY hope this method works for you, I want to help you because I know how acne makes you feel; SH*T! Best of luck! It wont let me remove this BTW -->uase

by Emily24 on 07/26/2016 13:28
UPDATE- It is week two of water only washing. Unfortunately, I purchased a simple kind to skin cleanser to see if it would help my skin but of course, it did not work, it only made my skin worse, Since purchasing the cleanser, I have indulged in two face masks which I deeply regret. Back to square one. As for my skin, there is little active acne but many red scars. Does anyone know how to remove them? A response would be much appreciated!
by depressedandscared on 08/02/2016 11:35
use manuka honey for red scars
by Ioandavies on 08/23/2016 21:57
Any more updates?
by antonela on 08/23/2016 23:36
I LOVED THIS I WASNT TOUCHING AND WASHIN MY FACE WITH CLEANSERS NO MAKEUP MORE than 5 days,wasnt actually thinking about my diet,didnt workout ups,but was active outside.Im almost 15 blackheads breakouts omg,I always have redness and my nose is red bumps literally,goes away,comes... in circle...Today I placed on my lids some eyeshadow and cuz it was gel kinda i smudged a bit on my nose and Ive wiped it with my finger and then when I removed it with micellar water it was RED like pimple with bunch of water and I had to put concelear and leave,am I allergic or its cuz eyeshadow is on face or I wasnt putting makeup for almost a week??btw I only wear concelear sometimes and foundation i take off in less then 6 hrs ...i dont do heavy.
by Diamond! on 08/26/2016 02:56
Do you apply makeup? I tend to be makeup free during weekdays and put make up on during the weekend...
Help
Reviewed on July 18, 2016

I have been struggling with acne for years I have sensitive skin so I can't use things with scent in them but I have tried every signal face wash u name it this acne needs to stop it's wrecking my confidence PLEASE HELP I heard using just water helps but I'm scared to try it what should I do ? !!

by LearnedMantid on 12/13/2016 03:25
nothing will answer your question until you try it for yourself
Nope
Reviewed on July 16, 2016

Worked for the first week and then all hell broke loose. Little and big pimples everywhere. My skin is a mess now :(

Accidental discovery
Reviewed on July 3, 2016

I've suffered from acne since about age 14, it got So bad age 16 I used accutane, and since then my acne has fluctuated from terrible to manageable. I'm now 27 and although I've learned to 'accept' and 'live' with my mild acne, it still causes no end of frustration and low-confidence, especially as I'm a male and I seem to be the only one I know this age still suffering.

Anyway, I went to Glastonbury festival last week, which lasts 5 days. Whilst there I didn't shower/wash my face AT ALL. For anyone that's been, you'd know why, for those that haven't, the toilet facilites consist of basically drop-holes full of sh*t that you can smell from a mile away. I don't have a fixed skin care routine, but I mostly still apply Dan's BP at night and sometimes in the morning if I have a particularly bad breakout, as well as moisturisers, coconut oil and sometimes Glycolic acid (again if some spots are huge and headless, but this can sometimes backfire and make them even redder and peel all the skin around it). I didn't take any of these to Glasto, and went the full 5 days caveman.

My skin was pretty clear when I arrived, no major spots at the time (I've always got at least one HUGE one going on somewhere so this is quite rare) and I was a little worried that the lack of products/washing would mean I'd be saying goodbye to my clear skin quickly... Nope. The total opposite. Despite the muddy/dirty conditions for 5 days, lack of sleep, too much alcohol, some junk food, my skin remained clear the entire time.

Within 2 days of being home and washing/using products on my face, I've broken out HORRIBLY with huge spots on various places on my face. Now I've found these reviews by googling 'not washing face helping acne' as I accidentally discovered that there could actually be something in this. The only thing that worries me slightly is how quickly and badly my skin broke out as soon as I returned from Glastonbury. Surely it was ready to break regardless? I can't imagine it wouldn't have done this should I have continued not to have washed, as there must have been a lot of dirt etc on my face.

Anyway, I'm now going to give this a try and stop washing my face again and see what happens. It's hard for me to do when I have spots, as all my urges tell me to apply products to them to try and kill them, as I hate walking round with beacons of red on my face.

I will report back in a couple of weeks to see how this has got on.

by Funnyfox on 07/10/2016 22:49
UPDATE: So it's only been one week and already my skin is so much better. I have no new spots, no huge ones (as mentioned above, I normally ALWAYS have one huge one on my face at all times) and my red marks from the spots look a little faded. I'll give some more information on my routine. I have only been allowing the water from my shower run across my face for about 5 seconds in the morning just before I get out the shower. I then let my face dry out naturally without touching it without a towel. On Thursday (4 days in) I bought some green tea (double dragon from Holland and Barrett if you're in the UK, it's regarded as the best and only about £2) and have been drinking about 5/6 cups a day. This was also after re-reading the positive effects this can have on your skin. Today I gently rubbed the teabag on my face after I'd finished drinking a cup, as I heard that can help due to the antioxidants in the tea. I must also mention that on Tuesday I went to the doctors about my acne for the first time in about 10 years. The appointment was booked about 10 days prior (typical wait for a doctor in London) and before I decided to go caveman. He prescribed me some Lymecycline pills and Differin gel, but after reading reviews on here which were basically 50/50 on success, I wasn't keen on using them until I'd tried the caveman method a bit longer. I ESPECIALLY didn't want to start using the Differin gel, as that's the complete opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. The doctor also said it can make your skin go red so I'm not using that. I have been taking one Lymecycline pill a day (the doctor told me to take 2 though) as I'm confident it won't make things worse. Anyway, one week in and I'm feeling really positive about how my skin is improving. All I can say is, this obviously won't work for everyone. And to be honest I'd only recommend it to people who have already tried EVERYTHING else and had no luck. I think years of applying chemicals to my face have kept it in a constant state of irritation which has made me spot prone. I've not let me skin do it's job naturally and that's where I may have gone wrong. Anyway, it's still early days and it could still go badly, but so far so good! I'll update again in a week.
by Funnyfox on 07/17/2016 22:24
UPDATE 2: So I've just come to the end of my second week and it's not been as rosy as the first. On Monday (the day after writing my previous update) I could feel a deep painful cyst forming on my right cheek. I haven't had a proper cyst spot in a while, and this one was a MAMMOTH. I tried not to panic and resist the urge to slather BP all over it, but as it got bigger and BIGGER (literally like a small marble sticking out my face) I had to do something. I'd come across the aspirin mask reviews on here and a lot of people said it helped their cystic acne, so on Thursday I started applying crushed aspirin paste directly on the spot. It was a miracle! It brought it to a head and yesterday I was able to pop it and now it's healing nicely. Anyway, the rest of my face is still fine and spot free aside from this huge one. I worried that maybe it was my Lymecycline that caused the cyst as that's the only thing diet-wise thats changed, so I've now stopped taking it. Bottom line is, things are still going well with only letting water touch my face in my morning shower, and my new discovery of aspirin means if any nasty spots to crop up, I have a solution.
Gonna try it....why not.
Reviewed on July 8, 2016

Seems I have been forced into using only water seeing as everything else I've used doesn't work. So starting today I used only water. I DO want to use moisturizer, but it may be the moisturizer breaking me out. So if I just use the water for about a week and my skin clears up, I'll know it was the facial cleansing products-- and after a week I will go back to water only and introduce a moisturizer-- and if my face starts breaking out, i'll know it's the moisturizer. Either way it goes I think I'll just stick to water only for a while to see if this will calm my acne down, and, ultimately, eliminate it.

A bit about my face: acne acne acne everywhere....and did I mention more acne? It's not accutane severe, but it's severe to me. I get acne mostly on my cheeks...like they loooooove it there, the area where a unicorn horn would be, a colony on my forehead, some on the chin, and then a village on my back. They tried to habitate my neck and I'm like no...just no.

We'll see what happens. :) :( :) :( :) :( :)

Using only water is actually a miracle.
Reviewed on July 5, 2016

So, I'm a 21 year old male who throughout my teenage years did not suffer with acne at all. But recently I have stopped exercising (gym) and my diet is not as clean as it should be. Past few months I have broke out on my left side of my cheek and my right side is as clean as ever not one pimple in sight. I've started using sudocreme on that one left side etc, and many more of these products. But after a few months of using these I'm 100% sure that the left side is getting worse whereas I look on my right side and there's still no pimple in sight.

To conclude, I'm just going to leave my face alone now. No sudocreme in the night and just chuck Luke warm water over my face in the morning and in the night. I'm pretty sure cleansers and all that skin routine just doesn't work for Men?

by FuturisticCat on 08/17/2016 14:19
If its only one side of your face, try changing your pillowcase every 3-4 days. Its probably because you sleep on that side.
I want to try it
Reviewed on June 28, 2016

I basically started today....

My current skin condition: a few burned patches caused by my recklessness because I used a harsh acne treatment on my face after an acne mask. I woke up with big, raw skin patches on both of my cheeks. Currently I am using Avene cicalfate on them and I see an improvement.

Small red bumps, 3 on my forehead and 2 on my right cheek and 2 whiteheads on my cheeks. My skin is combination and right now I'm close to my period and my exams so I'm kind of stressed...

That's what I want to do: wash my face only with water in the morning a few times per week and a mild exfoliation (yogurt with nutmeg) once a week or every two weeks.

Will it work?....

I really need an answer because my skin is in a rather good condition now (except for the burns) and I'm afraid of having to deal with a worse form of acne again....

by tbinybg on 07/01/2016 12:32
Read my review in the one star section. I just updated it this morning. I would be very careful about water only washing. I tried yogurt masks but they stung my face. Papaya masks exfoliate as well but are more gentle and healing.
Uh...no.
Reviewed on June 15, 2016

Did this. HATED it and I don't have acne. I merely have congested skin...or HAD I should say.

Soap was invented hundreds of thousands of years ago. I personally need something to break the surface tension so that the oil built up in my pores can be released. You only need to wash your face 2x a day. Forget the treatments and toners & stuff. I think SA and BP are the reason so many of you are still struggling.

Get a bar of soap, and a washcloth. Use that and a gel like aloevera or nicinamide gel (I can have 5% niacinamide compounded at a pharmacy or you can buy a gel called Metazine 5%) and scrub with brown sugar a few times a week. (NOT BROWN SUGAR & LEMON JUICE UNLESS YOU WANT CYSTIC ACNE) Long to short: YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD, BUT DON'T STOP CLEANING YOUR FREAKIN SKIN.

by KenHarrison on 06/16/2016 13:51
Everyone skin is different you are well uninformed of that, most people are on here doing this regime because before we only used water in our youth years coming up. but get a small blemish and want to try to correct it using soap or other, natural, none natural treatments, destroying our skin in the process. This why most people here in america have this problem, because we are told to use soap and etc which we really don't need but like i said everyone is different what might work for you might not work for someone else. but good luck and good morning
Going To Try This
Reviewed on June 15, 2016

My spiritual Auntie saw I was breaking out and told me that a Dermatologist told her one time to only use water to wash my face...I looked at her like she was crazy lol I said no cleanser?!! WHAT! She said yes no cleanser just luke warm water. I kinda didn't listen to her to be honest then my face started breaking out even more! So I was texting my best friend about my breakouts and she said the same thing that she stopped using products on her face because it would dry and irritate her face, she was like just wash with warm water. I completely agree with her about products irritating and drying the skin I was experienced that using products with Benzoyl in it. We have similiar skin types so I decided to try that to see if that will make a difference. I will also use astringent, tea tree oil, aloe vera from my mom's plant (use these every other day)...drinking nothing but water and taking hair, skin, nails vitamins along with D3 vitamins. It's not just about working on the outside of your body but also within. I'm thinking about documenting my progress on doing this through video not sure yet but I'll let ya'll know my update in about a month.