No milk/No Dairy Dairy Free Diet reviews

4.1/5 - 56 reviews

Brand: No milk/No Dairy

TRY IT OUT!
Reviewed on June 12, 2016

I stopped eating dairy 2 months ago and it has dramatically reduced my acne and now on the extremely rare occasion when I do eat something containing dairy I get huge & painful cysts. I've also reduced my oil and sugar intake and that alongside of being dairy free has made all the difference. I only have about 5 active breakouts the rest is just mild scaring that will go away on its own and with a lot of water intake.

Skin Type: Acne Prone / Combination Skin

Skin Routine:

This is my current skin routine that has been really working for me, eventually I'm going to transition into more natural products.

Acne.org Cleanser & Spot treatment

THAYERS alcohol- free Aloe Vera Toner

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF

For make up I use Cover Fx which is good for acne prone skin

Suggestions:

Drink A LOT of water or tea (green tea and I've heard that Rooibos tea is also good for acne but Ive never tired that)

Substitute cows milk with almond milk or soy (I like almond milk)

If you really want to eat cheese you can buy Vegan cheese (I don't)

When eating outside ask if your meal contains dairy and try to eat fresh foods that don't require a lot (salad, sandwiches, beans etc) or eat at vegan / vegetarian spot.

by Whiteheads girl on 06/24/2016 06:12
How long did it take for you to see results? I am one week into it but I am still getting acne 😣
Cured my acne.
Reviewed on June 10, 2016

If you are struggling with acne wether it be light, moderate or severe I STRONGLY suggest you go milk/dairy/meat free JUST FOR 6 MONTHS so you can see a difference. If it has no effect on your skin, then maybe dairy isn't a factor in your acne. For me, I went vegan one month ago and my acne COMPLETELY VANISHED. I am eating a lot of organic fruits and vegetables and nothing that comes in a package. I've been struggling with acne for as long as I can remember and I know for a fact going vegan helped tremendously. I was also using the Indian Healing clay mask (with AVC) and I was drinking A LOT OF TEA. Green tea, white tea, black tea, etc. I hope all of you at least try this method, It has been a life saver for me!

Less Dairy, Less Acne
Reviewed on May 26, 2016

I suffered from severe acne starting in high school, and it continued into my undergraduate career. I'm now 26 and acne free with the best skin I've ever had. I even get compliments from strangers!

My acne was so bad, I would want to stay home from school so people could not see my face. I was so embarrassed, I would take being sick to stay home. I'm sure my parents knew the real reason, but they went along with it anyway. The amount of times I went to the dermatologist is uncountable and the number of medications I took to clear my skin is enormous. I have taken several types of daily antibiotics over the course of yeas that I am paying for still today in the form of several digestive problems. If your are taking antibiotics for acne, please, please, please, try and discontinue! They are pointless and will cause so many terrible side effects. I was becoming desperate and depressed. I also was developing small scars on my face, so during times when my skin was relatively clear, I was still embarrassed about my appearance. I was giving up.

When I was 22 and finishing my undergrad degree, I developed a lactose sensitivity and severe irritable bowel syndrome stemming from the antibiotic use to treat my acne. I now had to begin cutting out dairy. It was very difficult! I loved ice cream, pizza, and especially those string cheese sticks! Over a few months I was able to cut out nearly all dairy. As a result my skin cleared along with how much dairy I removed from my diet. My mind was blown! Because of this, I started to pay very close attention to what else I could eliminate to help my skin. I reduced sugar, began drinking more water, and cooking only with olive and coconut oil to name the bigger changes in my diet.

Over the past four years, my skin has changed completely! My skin is nearly flawless. My lactose sensitivity has been bittersweet - a blessing in disguise. I highly recommend removing dairy from your diet or at least greatly reducing it. Even triggers that caused breakouts before do not affect me - dehydration, stress, lack of sleep, etc... I just completed my graduate degree. It was the most stressful and exhausting time of my life thus far, but I never had a problem with my skin!

Diet changes take time, and the clearing of your skin may take more time. I understand that diet alterations may not work for everyone, but it is worth a try! There is also research to support the inflammatory affects of dairy on the human body. An article titled "Evidence for Acne Promoting Effects of Milk and Other Insulinotropic Dairy Products" by Bodo C. Melnik (2011) discusses the relationship between dairy, inflammation, and acne. Do your research!

Best of luck with your fight against acne!

CJ

Tops
Reviewed on May 17, 2016

I actually quit dairy for reasons unrelated to acne (I don't believe a cow's hormones are compatible with the human body), but was thrilled to notice an amazing skin improvement.

My acne used to be more severe in my teen years and started to clear up in my early 20's. However I've had moderate back acne and little white bumps that are under the skin on my face for as long as I can remember. The ones on my face were mostly only noticeable up close, but we all know we're perfectionists when it comes to our own appearances. They bothered me quite a bit as I thought my skin was an unpleasant texture and would avoid looking at myself in certain lighting.

As soon as I quit dairy (three weeks ago) I've noticed a drastic improvement on my back, chest and face. I can only attribute it to the cutting of dairy as it's the only lifestyle alteration I've made, and a problem I've had for 7 years has pretty much disappeared.

My back and chest are completely clear and the white bumps on my face are almost completely gone (there are a couple here and there which I'm convinced will clear up too given time).

A side bonus note unrelated to acne, I've noticed significantly more stable moods and a massive dulling of my ADHD symptoms since quitting it too. So glad I did it and can't recommend it enough.

It helped with my back acne
Reviewed on May 5, 2016

Going completely dairy free has helped me with back acne. But you cannot just cut out milk, you have to cut out all dairy products/products with some kind of dairy in it. This is kind of a struggle in the beginning as you have to read a lot of labels, and A LOT of food that you wouldn't think had milk in it does (like some potato chips), but after a while you would know more of what is safe. And also, going dairy free helped me with weight loss. I think it is mostly because nearly every chocolate contains milk, so I stay away from it, and dark chocolate without milk satisfies cravings faster because of the amount of cocoa. Anyway, this is my experience - but if you haven't tried going dairy free yet I recommend trying it at least :-)

by jessie_c738 on 05/13/2016 19:52
Might seem like a silly question, but did you cut out eggs/egg whites as well? I am a little desperate to find a solution at this point, and have decided to cut out dairy, ie. cheese, milk, butter, etc but am wondering if eggs should be also. Thanks.
by jcjcjc90 on 05/21/2016 11:29
Hi! No, I haven't cut out eggs, only everything containing dairy :-)
Dairy Free Didn't Help Me
Reviewed on May 5, 2016

I've been lurking for 3 years on acne.org but just joined up today.

Back story: 34 year old female, 2 kids, moderate acne (not cystic) for 3+ years. Never been overweight, no obvious lactose intolerance GI Issues. I can tolerate dairy just fine but I know it's not meant for regular human consumption. I had bad pregnancy nausea and constipation while pregnant and have always felt that pregnancy damaged my gut. My problems started afterward.

Acne began at 31 years of age, 3 weeks after I weaned my 2nd baby. No previous struggles with acne and it came so out of the blue I thought it was a yeast rash. I have tried almost every topical available and have had 6 appointments, 3 of them with a dermatologist. Neither dr ever mentioned that diet could play a part in my acne. All said it was "hormonal". I absolutely cannot tolerate birth control pills so that's not an option. I tried them and was miserable.

2 months ago I decided to drop most dairy from my diet to just SEE what would happen. I used to eat yogurt and cheese sticks every day and would sometimes eat cereal but not regularly. Mostly it was cheese and chobani yogurt.

Admittedly I did not go hardcore on the dairy free but I definitely reduced my dairy intake significantly....by about 75%. Maybe 3 times in 2 months I had pizza and twice some feta in a salad. In these last 2 months my acne has gotten worse. The worst it's ever been. So I'm going to say that dairy is not my problem.

Reduced dairy showed zero improvement. In the midst of the worst breakout I ate 3 bowls of cereal to feel better. :)

Now I'm onto dropping grains too. As of 3 days ago I have gone full paleo. It sucks but the struggle is real. After 30 days I will post if I notice any improvement so look for that in the forums. I'm really trying to go hardcore with this since I'm more and more aggravated, hopeless and depressed looking like an inflamed bumpy mess.

cheap and effective. get to the root cause instead of treating the symtpoms.
Reviewed on March 23, 2016

Wanted to share my story here about the dairy-acne connection. I tried everything for my acne. Retin-A, antibiotics, birth control, and even Accutane. Most worked for a while and Accutane kept me mostly clear for 9 years but my acne started coming back slowly. The last few weeks, I was getting new breakouts everyday and starting to feel the skin stress of the pre-Accutane days. I was mostly getting acne around my mouth and chin. I decided last week to cut out all dairy from my diet. Since that day, I have not gotten one single new pimple and my skin is less oily as well. It is only after Accutane that I became interested in natural remedies and I've been doing a lot research over the years. I really believe that acne is an internal problem. Often caused by diet and stress. I wish I had known this 10 years ago prior to going on Accutane. It's sad that something as simple as diet change could be saving people from years of insecurity with regards to their skin and a lot of money. To anyone who suffers from stress, anxiety or depression when it comes to their skin (like I did), I would highly recommend eliminating dairy from your diet to determine if this may be the culprit for you. I would also consider testing for other food intolerances that could be affecting your skin (gluten, nuts, etc).

This is it.
Reviewed on February 23, 2016

I’ve been dealing with acne since I was 15 and I’m turning 25 this year. My acne was most definitely at its worst in high school (full on pizza face with lots of oil, cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, etc.) and has slowly become better in my early 20’s (now it’s more just small whiteheads, occasional “bigger” zits, tiny bumps on forehead, scarring, and some oil in T-Zone area). I know hormones and genetics played a role specifically in high school but I’ve long suspected dairy as a culprit as well. I stopped drinking milk right after high school which I think helped a lot but as mentioned above, I still get some mild acne. Ten years of dealing with acne and the low self-esteem that comes with it has not been fun… I hope that the below story helps others dealing with it too. Dairy really could be the key for a lot of us.

About three weeks ago I finally decided that I needed to stop eating all dairy. Eliminating just milk was not enough. Every year after high school I’d say to myself “My acne will go away this year”. And every year it didn’t. With me turning 25 and getting married in less than three months I FINALLY told myself enough is enough. I FINALLY buckled down and quit dairy cold turkey (all dairy, even dairy ingredients in processed foods). It’s actually been surprisingly easy to do…. Mostly because of the results I’m now seeing!! I’m only three weeks in and already I can say “WOW”. I’ve literally not developed a single new zit during that entire time period. My oil production has almost become non-existent at this point… Any acne I did have before starting the diet has disappeared. I would say my face is 99% smooth right now…(still have scarring but that will be a whole other battle). I just honestly cannot believe it. A solution that was so easily in my grasp all these years and even though I strongly suspected it would help, I just never gave it enough of a chance to try it… As much as it sucks, I strongly believe in the thought that what we consume can have a major impact on our skin. Most doctors will tell you this is a myth, particularly the dairy-acne link. They unfortunately aren’t trained to believe food allergies/intolerances cause or irritate acne. To them, acne is always caused by hormones/bacteria and can simply be treated by taking antibiotics or slathering a medicated cream on your face. All I can say is, from my personal experience, that does nothing or if it does, it’s a temporary solution. I strongly encourage those of you who have been suffering from acne for a very long time, (especially those of you who are now dealing with adult acne) to give this a try. Dairy is considered to be the number one food that can irritate/cause acne. You may not experience any other symptoms to alert you that you have an allergy to dairy other than just acne itself. An interesting fact I like to consider is this: We are the only mammals on the planet to consume the milk of another mammal. This fact alone makes me really consider just how many of us may be dealing with dairy related acne due to our bodies not tolerating it well.

To wrap up I will say this: please have patience and try to be open minded. You could be like me and make up excuses for many years, telling yourself things like “Oh man I don’t want to try going dairy free for a month knowing that there is a chance this may not be the cure for my acne”. But you honestly never know until you try. It’s as simple as that. I’d say a good solid month is what is needed to really get an idea. For someone like me with now mild adult acne, it’s only taken a little over half a month to see amazing results and I’m going to report back in mid-March to let you all know if it’s still working/improving. If you’ve already tried everything and nothing has worked, give this a shot. Good luck!!

*Oh, and just in case it’s important I thought I’d mention I’m not on any medication or birth control and haven’t been for at least 5 years. I’m also not using any topical cleansers/treatments. The only topical treatment that worked decently for me in the past was organic Apple Cider Vinegar but I stopped using it a while ago due to me simply being lazy.

by parrot on my face on 03/09/2016 21:58
Due to my moderate acne for almost 7 years and the reason no other medicine helping me either (I have used oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics & gels, changed my face care routine, tried various birth control pills for 2 years to get only mild results; I just haven't tried Accutane due to the side effects and risks) the doctor suggested me to try the dairy free diet, to see if anything changes. I'm now avoiding dairy by all means and read ingredients while doing grocery to see any hidden dairy. I have noticed "lactic acid" in some products and wanted to know if I should avoid products with it in them. Does lactic acid contain any cow growth hormones that could affect my skin? Thanks.
by PicNic83 on 03/12/2016 04:18
Hi "parrot on my face" you may want to do some research on this to confirm but from what I read it sounds like lactic acid most often does not contain dairy in it.
by PicNic83 on 03/12/2016 04:25
**Update** As promised I have an update for you all. I've just hit the 1 month and 2 weeks mark of my no dairy (at all) diet and here is what I have to report: No new acne during that time at all. Still amazed! A couple days ago I decided it's been long enough to perform the final test. I was at a restaurant and ordered a pasta dish made with a lot of cheese. A couple days later, painful cysts grew on my jawline. I still have them right now as they obviously take a while to heal but needless to say I think that's some solid confirmation that dairy has a very strong link to my acne or could even be the single cause of it. Incredible... And I will say again, it's been surprisingly easy to stick to the diet. So many alternatives out there and I've found it's actually made me enjoy cooking more (I was never a fan of it before) because I feel like I'm "caring" more for what I eat if that makes sense? Vegan cookbooks are really helpful with dairy free and you can always add meat to the recipes if you want. :) I'm going to be sticking with this diet and I think in a few months I will come back with a final update. I'm really curious to see if my face continues to improve even further or not! Stay strong everyone and give it a go if you can!!
One month aaaaaand...
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

My acne has all but disappeared. I'm left with scars on my cheeks, but oh my god. The improvement.

I have been taking lymecycline and using differin gel since I've been about 13/14. At first I had really good results, but it hit a plateau and then worsened again. I've since tried so much, from vinegar to the regimen (which made my acne 1000 times worse!). I had considered giving up dairy before, but I was a cheese, milk and ice cream addict. However, coming across this page made me reconsider trying it.

I have given up everything (so any product containing milk; well, up until the point where it says 'may contain milk' and then I'm not that much of a masochist). It's been really tough, and going to other people's houses is a nightmare of constantly checking food packaging and appearing so, so difficult that sometimes I've considered being like 'nope, it's fine, I will eat the pasta and cheese sauce you have just cooked.' However, that said, it has been completely worth it.

For someone who has put themselves through everything and hasn't left the house without make up in a good eight years, this has been life changing, pretty much. I'm focusing on the scars, and I'm well aware that this is acne and it might decide in a week's time that nope, this isn't the cure, but for now, I'm feeling pretty positive about my skin for the first time in years.

Really, give it a go. And do it properly, for at least a month, before you give up. It won't work for everyone because nothing does (to refer back to my regimen experience), but it's apparently (hopefully this won't curse it!) worked for me.

by parrot on my face on 03/09/2016 22:00
Should I watch out of 'may contain milk' or it won't do any harm?
by PicNic83 on 03/12/2016 04:35
Hi "parrot on my face"! I ignore "may contain milk" notes as that really just means the product has probably been made in a factory that also produces products with milk ingredients in it. It would be extremely unlikely for the product saying "may contain milk" to actually be contaminated with milk that is used to produce another product. I think companies add that note in order to avoid being sued during a rare case of someone actually getting an allergic reaction from it. Hope that makes sense!
by PicNic83 on 03/12/2016 04:35
by Ozziebear on 03/13/2016 21:48
'parrot on my face'- I eat everything with 'may contain milk' too. It looks like it was only dairy products giving me acne. Like PicNic83, I tried eating dairy when my skin had completely cleared to test it (it was a homemade coffee and carrot cake with frosted cream- almost worth the spots!) and my jaw broke out so I know that for me, if it lists dairy as an ingredient I have to stay away, but 'may contain milk' appears to be fine :)
Changing my diet did WoNdErS!
Reviewed on November 12, 2015

I struggled with acne for a really long time.

Just as I hit puberty I went from having a few spots that just got worse. It was to the point where strangers would offer suggestions and point it out without my asking for their input. Just like the many others on this site, my confidence was shot. I learned not to look at myself in the mirror (glance at eyes only or hair basically), which I realized recently I still do! (Scars)

Dermatologists loaded me with creams and antibiotics, which looking back I realized how F*cked up it was to be on antibiotics for as long as I was. it wasn't curing anything it was masking whatever it was that was causing the inflammation. The more I started reading up on health and wellness the more I started getting into holistics and nutrition.

I used to AlWAYS refer to this website. I love that its still around because it was so helpful to read on a community dealing with the same shizznitt I was.

ANYWHO... Whenever I did a cleanse my friends and I would notice how clear my face would get... (Hormone check ups always came back normal.. it had to be food related) I simplified my diet.... did another fast/ cleanse... and tried a few foods...

MY goodness, as soon as my inside was "cleaned up" it was so much easier to see what triggered my acne.

I found out I have an intolerance toward: DAIRY, SOY, GLUTEN

I would break out and feel crummy so fast!

Now at 27 I have a very simple diet: primarily gluten free vegan/ no soy and my acne has not been an issue since having figure out what diet worked best for me.

People ask me if Im miserable and feel like Im missing out, I feel great and to be frank having a "cheat" with a trigger-food just isn't pleasant for me. Not only do I get nauseous but having do deal with a breakout for 2 weeks is even worse.

SO I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. i love the foods I can eat and feel great!

Even if I have a flare up(soy oil , for example, can be pretty sneaky when it comes to restaurant ingredients). ,But I'll take GAIA liver health caps (basically anti-inflammatory herbs, with multiple benefits) and it helps things calm down quickly.

My dad made fun of me wondering how a child of his could be so sensitive to food. but later we found out that the GI problems he was having was a similar intolerance's. I got him back saying I got it from HIM!

So yes I recommend cutting out dairy!

Looking into dietary changes takes time, but its worth it!

by Serenity86 on 02/09/2016 16:24
Hi, you mention you did a cleanse to then be able to see what triggered the issues, how did you do this? Was it a simple elimination diet? Thanks