No milk/No Dairy Dairy Free Diet

Recommended by 71% of visitors

Brand: No milk/No Dairy

Most helpful review

By Ana, Edmonton Alberta on 06/28/2012

This is the best thing I have ever done for my skin and body. I embarked on this a few times, each time my skin cleared up significantly, but then I would be coaxed into drinking a latte or eating mac'n cheese or cheesecake and my face would break out within 3 days all around my chin and lips, then it would start crawling up my cheeks.. ugh... it was terrible. Because I would have these new breakouts and then all the healing ones from the month before clustered around in a gigantic red mess on my face. I've been having the acne that never totally clears so I concluded that this must be a dietary issue. I was right. If you have chronic cysts and acne breakouts everywhere, particularly on your chin, try dairy free. *make sure if you are changing your diet like this, that you replace it with something so you don't feel deprived, you're getting nutrition, and you don't wind up with something similar to an eating disorder. If you are a vegetarian embarking on this, try eating more legumes for your source of protein, or quinoa. The biggest hurdle will be sharing your dietary change with family and friends. I was a vegetarian for around 6 years and was given much criticism. So, I expected the same with this, but thankfully, it has not been too bad... but people keep bringing up dairy to me (Oh, do you need milk? Let me give you this poutine covered in cheese..etc.). It seems like cow's dairy is so engraved in our culture here in the western world that many cannot imagine a world without it. Well, let me tell you, that not partaking is definitely possible, and you might just feel and look better because of it..

Pros:
  • Acne is rapidly clearing, topical regimes are working better. Milk and dairy products are easily replaced (I've been using almond milk in my coffee and oatmeal). Yogurt doesn't seem to break me out (possibly because of the probiotics?) so I continue to eat it on an ongoing basis, but I try to eat miso and take probiotic supplements for a happy gut because I want to avoid dairy as much as possible. Overall, I feel healthier and my skin is looking drastically better.
Cons:
  • I sort of miss dairy cheese (but not enough to pay for the consequences of eating it). There are milk products in ALOT of things, making them difficult to avoid. People might think you're nuts if you tell them you are avoiding dairy because of acne, so I've been telling people that it makes me stomach sick (which, isn't far from the truth) and that seems satisfactory for people who may not understand where we're coming from.

12 out of 17 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Dairy free diet”
By on

I tried to stay away from dairy as much as possible for about two-three months. It was very hard, we eat a lot of dairy-based food in my family, but we started using oat milk (I think that's what it's called) which worked fairly well. During this time I saw no improvement on my skin whatsoever. I occasionally put some butter on my sandwich every now and then but compared to the massive amount of dairy I used to consume, you'd think you'd still be able to see improvement even with a little cheating. I honestly can't see a connection between my dairy intake and acne, so I've given up om it and now I eat yoghurt everyday for breakfast and so far my skin has not been getting worse (I've been eating it for a few weeks). I guess like with everything it's individual. I'm not sure if milk/lactose intolerance is connected to acne, but I come from Sweden where lactose intolerance is one of the lowest in the world. Just a thought!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Hard to stay away from dairy
  • Didn't affect my acne
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“After 10yrs of acne I'm finally clear”
By on

I'm a 20yr old female and I have moderate but constant acne for 10yrs on my cheeks and jawline. Even on birth control and androgen blockers I still had a zit or two. Until I cut dairy completely from my diet 5 months ago and replaced it with soy did I have perfect skin with no break outs. I chose soy milk as a replacement because it's high in estrogen but have not tried other types of milk. I'm positive it's the dairy to because I'm writing this review with three inflamed pimples after drinking rum cream the other night for the first time in months.

Cutting diary completely can be hard. You must keep in mind what the ingredients of everything is you eat and how it is prepared. It took several mistakes like biscuits, mashed potatoes, anything with butter, and soup bases before I learned ingredients of what I was eating.

If you have hormonal acne please cut dairy from your diet.

Pros

• Hormonal acne cleared
  • Less bloating and gas
  • Cut a lot of fat from diet

Cons

• Strict diet restrictions
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Definitely give it a try”
By on

I strongly believe that acne is correlated with dairy consumption and hormonal acne in particular. I have PCOS so my acne is completely hormonal related. I've read that the hormones in dairy increase your testosterone production, which in turn increases your sebum production (oil production) and clogs your pores. Anyway, I went on birth control and it did nothing for my acne. I became a vegan four months ago and my acne got a lot better. I thought it was just because I was eating healthy. But, I soon realized that after EVERY time that I "cheated" and ate dairy, I would have a huge break out within 24 hours. Then I would continue my dairy-free diet and my skin would clear up. I really didn't believe it since this seemed absurd that eating dairy one time would cause me to break out. However, after this happening 5 times now, I KNOW that it is the dairy. One time I ate pizza and woke up with 8 new pimples!!! Honestly, I really miss dairy but it definitely isn't worth the embarrassment of a giant break out to the point where I hide in my apartment for 4 days until it gets better. Since my hormones are still a little out of whack, I still almost always have a couple pimples even when I don't eat dairy. But I can deal with that. I will definitely continue to avoid dairy.

Pros

• makes acne much better
  • healthier for you in general
  • you feel a lot healthier and keeps you skinny

Cons

• didn't completely clear my skin
  • you can't eat cheese
  • it's hard to go out to eat
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It helps”
By on

This helped me a bit. It was nothing extremely significant but dairy really does provoke my acne. I think everyone should give it a try. I'm grateful for the improvement even though it is small.

Pros

• Cheap
  • It helps. May be more effective for some people
  • Really nothing to lose

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Helped with Hormonal Breakouts”
By on

If you're like me then you have hormonal breakouts. I cut out MOST dairy such as soft cheeses, and drinking milk. I still eat hard cheeses and I drink almond milk now. It has absolutely helped in the severity of my acne. I still get pimples, but not the giant puss filled ones that last 3 weeks.

Pros

• Reduced Severity

Cons

• None!
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Didn't change state of my acne at all. Severe acne slightly improved after drinking again.

Pros

• none

Cons

• didn't affect my acne
  • made bones weak
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Didn't work. I ended up losing weight that I didn't need or want to. After one year without TOUCHING dairy or dairy products, no significant results in acne. This is overrated, and when started drinking milk again my acne cleared by 66% (2/3).

Pros

• Didn't work.
  • I ended up losing weight that I didn't need or want to.
  • After one year without TOUCHING dairy or dairy products, no significant results in acne. This is overrated, and when started drinking milk again my acne cleared by 66% (2/3).

Cons

• Does not work for everybody
  • Waste of time
  • Milk actually helped
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

As strongly as all doctors disagree with me, I lived with acne all my life and know for a fact that I always breakout whenever I have dairy products. I'm also lactose-intolerant.

Never fails. Everytime I stay away from dairy food, my face clears up. When I have a glass of milk, a huge tub of yogurt, caesar salad dressing instead of italian/french and even cheese, zits will appear, out of nowhere, for no good reasons. This happens ALL the time. I leave at least 2-3 months in between trials and nothing else explains it. Plus I become more flatulent and sometimes, have a slight indigestion.

I don't really care what dermatologists or doctors say when I tell them I can't have milk because of acne, I know it doesn't work for me. I don't completely stay away but I take it real easy on it. Now, dairy products, I'm going at one serving per fortnight, very little.

Note: I'm acne-free now. I have the occasional zit every 3 weeks or so from stress or lack of sleep (and dairy food) but I had very severe acne a year ago. My face cleared up and staying away from dairy product helps.

Pros

• Acne clears up significantly

Cons

• Have to find alternate source of protein
  • Difficult to avoid dairy altogther
  • severe
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• for a few weeks

By on

tried this for 3 months, did not do anything for my acne. another overrated holistic approach.

Pros

• its free.

Cons

• doesn't work. and you lose weight that you don't wan't to lose.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.