Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45

Average price: $10.30

Brand: Neutrogena

Most helpful review

By Karen, Windsor, ON Canada on 04/26/2011

I thought maybe I was allergic to the Neutrogena Sunscreen after an awful skin rash appeared on my face the day after I used it. I applied the sunscreen to my face - nose, cheeks, chin and forehead, the next morning I had the most horrid rash I have ever had. My face (all the areas where the sunscreen had been applied) were burning, a horrid red rash (looked like I had been severely burned), itching, small bumps, swollen and so sore. Went off to the doctors with her prescribing Hydroval Cream 0.2%. What a relief from this cream. Tried using the screen again, just to see, face started having the same red, puffy, sore reaction... more cream applied for relief! My suggestion DO NOT USE NEUTROGENA SUNSCREEN! Has any notices been posted from Neutrogena that they are looking into this problem? Since the rating doesn't allow a negative number I will post here; minus, minus, minus whatever number you want to pick. Oh, I do not have acne and never have had it so my reaction can't be from that. Don't know why they ask "Price Paid" so far as I'm concerned any price paid for this product is to much from the pain it seems to be causing so many..

Pros:
  • Can' think of any.
Cons:
  • So many... just do not use it!

119 out of 222 people found this review helpful

Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6%).

Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2 6 Naphthalate, VP Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexl Glycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trideceth 6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butycarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 45 Value Pack, 2 ea
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 45, 3 fl oz
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 45, 3 Ounce

Member reviews

“As cliche as this sounds, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! so true...”
By on

Hesitant on buying this moisturizer while grocery shopping knowing i'd be in trouble if my skin care teachers at school found out, i proceeded to anyways.. it was a great deal with a high SPF so i thought id give it a try. I used product after using Neutrogena Grapefruit Scrub for 3 days. I NEVER breakout, have never had acne in my life! My chin feels tight with dry scabby patches of burning skin, which is tolerant. The 25 tiny pustules on the other hand is not. It looks as if i have baby acne and feels absolutely terrible. Yesterday was the first day i woke up with it, I used a chemical exfoliant from well-known Dr.renaud called "vegetale" along with "penaten" as a night time cream, also used for diaper rashes. Its better today and starting to dry up more but i havent stopped popping the hideous zits. Not sure how long this will last :(

Pros

• high SPF

Cons

• Most terrible rash/acne break out ever!
  • for a day or two
  • $ 9
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Breakout”
By on

I used this on our recent trip to Hawaii and although it seemed good (absorbed well etc.) by the end of the 10 day trip my nose was covered in tiny little pimples that took weeks to go away. I don't normally get that and was using no other new products so it was definitely the sunscreen.

Pros

• Quick absorbing

Cons

• Broke me out
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55”
By on

My 12 yr old daughter used this for 3 days on her face. The first 2 days without incident. By the end of the third day her checks, forehead, nose, chin and neck are covered in a rash of small, red, pimple-like bumps that somewhat burn and itch. We have been treating her with benadryl and I am actually relieved to find these posts/reviews so that we know it is most likely the sunscreen that has caused this. I would not recommend this product for anyone with sensitive skin at all. We have been treating with benadryl for 2 days and the bumps are still present. Nasty product. We also bought this product at Costco in a multi-pack.

By on

I applied the sunblock liberally one time on my forearms and the backs of my hands. Within 10 hours there was redness, small blisters and extreme itching on the arms and hands. Four days later the skin still itches, is swollen, and is peeling like a severe sunburn. Would suggest testing on a small area before using.

Pros

• Easy to apply

Cons

• Severe allergic reaction
  • very light
  • for a day or two
  • $ 9
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I wouldn't use, there must be something in it that is an irritant.

Pros

• goes on easily

Cons

• caused red, itchy rash with swelling right under my eyes
  • for a day or two
  • $ 9
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this the entire summer last year and I loved it until one of the last weeks of august. Underneath my eyes became red and swollen, had to use aloe [more complex vitamin E treatments made it worse] and stay out of the sun for it to go down.

I think this was a result of applying the product to skin that was very sensitive (under-eye skin is thin and it may have already irritated from too much time in the sun by that point). I'll still use it, but carefully.

Try it on a patch of skin before total use.

Pros

• Projects against the sun
  • Smooth finish
  • High quality

Cons

• May cause allergic reaction / rash
  • light
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I use this product when i'm out in the sun and for a daily moisturizer. It helps with my acne.

Maybe everyone who is talking about the red rash is because they are allergic to something in the product.

Pros

• Protects against UVA rays for aging skin.
  • Protects against UVB rays for burning.
  • Waterproof, Sweatproof
  • Doesnt clog pores
  • Oil Free
  • Light weight, dry touch.
  • PABA Free
  • Avobenzone 3%

Cons

• That it takes 15 - 30 minutes to dry.
  • but SPF 70 is better.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Don't ever buy this product. U have been warned

Pros

• Avoid like the plague

Cons

• It will cause a bad itchy rash
  • for a day or two
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry touch sunblock for a long time, then when i bought my last couple tubes I developed a bad rash on my neck and arms that lasted for weeks.At first i thought it was from the salt water. then after the rash cleared i tried to use the Neutrogena Sunblock cream again in the morning by the afternoon i had huge red burning welts on my arms, neck and face. Now i know for sure its the cream. I think the company should check on the product its now selling

this never happened before, it also happened with their Age Face Shield Cream.I liked the product at one time ,but cant recommend it to anyone now.

Pros

• Non greasy easy to apply

Cons

• Severe rash from both Age Face Shield & Ultra Sheer Sunblock spf 85 Also expensive.
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 13
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

Detail of rash:

[link removed] back shot, note unaffected skin on the areas I didn't apply the lotion to:

[link removed]

Pros

• None to speak of. Used product for two days and broke out in mild rashes and hives on first day, then turned severe on second day. Pics below.

Cons

• About 4-5 hours after applying to back of neck, arms and legs on the first day, I noticed some mild rashes and hive-like red bumps appearing on the places I applied the lotion. Soon after applying on the second day, the rashes and hives went from mild to severe. Does anybody know any treatments to alleviate this? Any help is appreciated.
  • severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 12
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.